2021-22 Russian Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Ice Dance

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Quite how Morozov/Bagin meet the criteria for TWO spots I'll never know. No junior medals, 62 in the world standings and 6th at RusNats (when S/K weren't there)..... nepotism sure does stink!

S/E: junior worlds bronze and jgpf gold, 26 in world standings and 4th at RusNats - no spots
S/A: junior world champs, jgpf champs, 30 in world standings and 3rd at RusNats - 1 spot (and at RC so no chance of a second)

make it make sense :drama:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Quite how Morozov/Bagin meet the criteria for TWO spots I'll never know. No junior medals, 62 in the world standings and 6th at RusNats (when S/K weren't there)..... nepotism sure does stink!

S/E: junior worlds bronze and jgpf gold, 26 in world standings and 4th at RusNats - no spots
S/A: junior world champs, jgpf champs, 30 in world standings and 3rd at RusNats - 1 spot (and at RC so no chance of a second)

make it make sense :drama:
Morozov/Bagin had a high seasons best score from 2019-20 (which did count for selection this year). So they were pretty much guaranteed at least one assignment. It's Davis/Smolkin getting a spot over S/E that is more egregious. Now it's possible that was a Skate Canada decision, to pick the team they saw as less competitive, but I think it's more likely that the Russian Fed was pushing a bit to help D/S get a spot, M/B get a second (and S/N get a first maybe, though they did deserve it with having medaled at the last Junior Worlds). And they maybe didn't push for S/E.

readernick

Medalist
Morozov/Bagin had a high seasons best score from 2019-20 (which did count for selection this year). So they were pretty much guaranteed at least one assignment. It's Davis/Smolkin getting a spot over S/E that is more egregious. Now it's possible that was a Skate Canada decision, to pick the team they saw as less competitive, but I think it's more likely that the Russian Fed was pushing a bit to help D/S get a spot, M/B get a second (and S/N get a first maybe, though they did deserve it with having medaled at the last Junior Worlds). And they maybe didn't push for S/E.
M/B and D/S are both benefitting from their family connections. It is foolish to pretend otherwise. M/B deserved one spot. D/S likely none. But, a famous influential dad or mom is very beneficial for a skater, especially an ice dancer. I feel bad for S/E. I worry that their justifiable complaints may hurt their chances for spots in the future. I can't imagine this is Skate Canada's decision because none of these teams are really threats for a podium or even strong enough to affect the placement of any Canadian teams the federation cares about... Life and skating aren't fair.

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Igor Eremenko wondered that he with Sofia weren't included into the list of GP participants:

Svinin understands that and hopes they will get at elast the spot at Rostelecom:

I like that Igor didn't shy away from expressing his view (in a fairly measured way).

I can't see why they were passed over in favour of Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy in particular, that team is fun but their skating skills aren't up to S/E's level, especially Shanaeva. In terms of earning by world ranking, I don't think a high score in Juniors by S/N is really comparable with decent senior scores by S/E. New seniors always have to contend with a years-established ice dance pecking order, the junior field is transitory.

Last edited:

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I mean obviously that still doesn't mean the decision wasn't political, SC will have their reasons
Well both D/S and S/N are underdogs for the competition as all the fresh senior ice dancers are at least during their first season(s). There are like one or two other teams who can be defeated by them, so finishing 7th for S/N and 8th for D/S would be relative success. So, the reasons are the question.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
More about the GP spots related to Diana/Gleb and others:

Worth reading even google translated.

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
I have just read that Tiffani Z and Johnathan G have just flown to the UK to work with Christopher Dean on the choreography of their new free skate.. excited for this!!

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I have just read that Tiffani Z and Johnathan G have just flown to the UK to work with Christopher Dean on the choreography of their new free skate.. excited for this!!
I thought that Jonathan Guerreiro tested positive for C-19 recently, how is this possible?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I've put this into their FF recently:

"Yes, in the 20th of June I got a positive test. I had to stay in quarantine for two weeks. Negative tests have already been received, we will start training soon," Gureiro explained the situation.
Thanks, I am glad that he seems to be ok now!
Hope they have a fun time in the UK!

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Didn't think about this when I read this earlier, as Christopher Dean frequently travels between the US and the UK...but apparently he confirmed at today's ISU Awards that he has now moved back to the UK to reside permanently. And there's some announcement T&D have about the British Fed that's pending. So perhaps he will be working more with European based skaters? Especially this summer, he's going to be in demand.

Kittosuni

Medalist
I can't imagine this is Skate Canada's decision because none of these teams are really threats for a podium or even strong enough to affect the placement of any Canadian teams the federation cares about... Life and skating aren't fair.

except Skate Canada still cares about $$$ and costs like any other feds who organize GP events.

Like you said none of these Russian teams are serious threat so why would Skate Canada invite a filler team who is investment wise brings nothing to the table(no offense to S/E or even to S/A) when they have perfectly two first year senior teams D/S and S/N who can potentiially bring buzz/fanbase and hopefully sales to the event while being zero threat.

It scks and and it is brutal but from Skate Canada stand point, this is a good decision.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
except Skate Canada still cares about $$$ and costs like any other feds who organize GP events.

Like you said none of these Russian teams are serious threat so why would Skate Canada invite a filler team who is investment wise brings nothing to the table(no offense to S/E or even to S/A) when they have perfectly two first year senior teams D/S and S/N who can potentiially bring buzz/fanbase and hopefully sales to the event while being zero threat.

It scks and and it is brutal but from Skate Canada stand point, this is a good decision.
I wouldn't call either Skoptsova / Aleshin or Shevchenko / Eremenko a filler team. In most other countries, they would be at the top of the standings. And while Shanaeva / Naryzhnyy and Davis / Smolkin are good teams, I don't know that there's really that much buzz surrounding them, mostly just the Eteri connection for Davis -- not trying to take anything away from these teams; I just don't think they're a bigger draw than the first two teams, who were snubbed from the GPs for some reason. JMO

susieq

Rinkside
I think Davis / Smolkin are based in US so Skate Canada doesn't have to pay much for travel for them. I believe that plays a huge part.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi guys, does anyone know when Pokrasnet’yeva and Mironov are Junior eligible?