2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

noskates

Record Breaker
Don't really want to get involved with this discussion other than to say I just watched Alysa's PFT performance and she's a totally different skater than last year. She's had that same metamorphosis that Michelle Kwan had at about the same age. She looks more mature, her dress is beautiful, her choreography was wonderful and she skated with such joy. Gone are the little girl looks. I'm pretty impressed with her. I think Bradie and Mariah (who is actually one of my very favorites) will need to bring it at Nationals.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't really want to get involved with this discussion other than to say I just watched Alysa's PFT performance and she's a totally different skater than last year. She's had that same metamorphosis that Michelle Kwan had at about the same age. She looks more mature, her dress is beautiful, her choreography was wonderful and she skated with such joy. Gone are the little girl looks. I'm pretty impressed with her. I think Bradie and Mariah (who is actually one of my very favorites) will need to bring it at Nationals.
Not sure if Alysa has had quite the same metamorphosis that MK had in terms of maturity and going from looking like a little girl to a more mature looking young woman but most importantly she's improved her basic skating in a shorter amount of time then i can remember a skater has done in years.

Dogo

On the Ice
I'm not sure why she is a favorite of the USFS since she has some of the weakest skating skills and speed among the Junior ladies and some wonky jump technique that's not going to survive a growth spurt unless she makes some serious improvement in her skating.
Yeah, Idk but I just get that general vibe from the Fed. US judges seem to like her enough to reward her artistic persona (including during the Peggy Fleming competition where, to be honest, I think there should have been a gap between Alysa/Karen/Tomoki and the rest including Isabeau), but when it comes to actual skating skills she still skates very junior-ish which is normal. She falls into the Sasha Cohen-esque archetype in terms of how she looks and her poise, but I think it's too early to make those connections with Sasha Cohen (if at all). Either way, TSL somehow thinks that Isabeau is strong enough to go to the Olympics in a few months. I mean, I have no words for Dave and his delusions...

I would rather let Isabeau develop slowly and confidently without too much media/USFed hype 🙂

Dogo

On the Ice
Not sure if Alysa has had quite the same metamorphosis that MK had in terms of maturity and going from looking like a little girl to a more mature looking young woman but most importantly she's improved her basic skating in a shorter amount of time then i can remember a skater has done in years.
You know what, maybe this transformation happens when she is growing to her late teens (17-19). How wonderful would that look like!! Because when I watched her performance I could see Kwan's determination in her movements, a bit of Alina Z. in her energy and eagerness to perform to her max. capabilities and of course that sheer joy in her skating that is becoming her own staple. Hopefully great things will come Alysas' way soon.

readernick

Medalist
TSL always says things without basis and they say less than flattering things about essentially all skaters so what they believe really shouldn't matter in regards to Isabeau or Alysa.
About why Isabeau is a favorite, clearly she is the best junior performer. Her musicality and extension are very unique among skaters. Her spins are also the best in the field. However, I suspect the USFS really likes her because of her incredible consistency. She is a very good competitor and makes very few mistakes in competitions. This is why she always wins. In terms of SS, I don't think they are as bad as people are implying here. She has good edges and can skate fast. Her crossovers need some work. However, the real issue is that she slows down so much into her jumps. However, if you compare her skating from last year to this year, huge strides have been made. She is clearly working.

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Yeah, Idk but I just get that general vibe from the Fed. US judges seem to like her enough to reward her artistic persona (including during the Peggy Fleming competition where, to be honest, I think there should have been a gap between Alysa/Karen/Tomoki and the rest including Isabeau), but when it comes to actual skating skills she still skates very junior-ish which is normal. She falls into the Sasha Cohen-esque archetype in terms of how she looks and her poise, but I think it's too early to make those connections with Sasha Cohen (if at all). Either way, TSL somehow thinks that Isabeau is strong enough to go to the Olympics in a few months. I mean, I have no words for Dave and his delusions...

I would rather let Isabeau develop slowly and confidently without too much media/USFed hype 🙂
when i heard him say this i wondered what planet he was on. this is 10/10 not happening. i'm not sure if she is planning to skate up at nationals, but i think it would benefit her more to get a 2nd junior title than compete as a senior and end up top 10. i'm just not sure if there is really much reason or benefit for her to skate up this season versus next when she can have more time to work on the things that need work.

gkelly

Record Breaker
when i heard him say this i wondered what planet he was on. this is 10/10 not happening. i'm not sure if she is planning to skate up at nationals, but i think it would benefit her more to get a 2nd junior title than compete as a senior and end up top 10. i'm just not sure if there is really much reason or benefit for her to skate up this season versus next when she can have more time to work on the things that need work.
Junior and Senior mean different things in the US and internationally. It is very common for skaters to move up to seniors domestically after they have accomplished their goals at the junior level domestically, even while still competing junior on the international circuit.

In many cases especially for the women, this is because they are too young to compete internationally as a senior -- as is true for Levito this year.

macy

Record Breaker
Junior and Senior mean different things in the US and internationally. It is very common for skaters to move up to seniors domestically after they have accomplished their goals at the junior level domestically, even while still competing junior on the international circuit.

In many cases especially for the women, this is because they are too young to compete internationally as a senior -- as is true for Levito this year.
i know, thats what i was referring to is skating up at nationals this season. i know she isn't senior eligible internationally. IMO it doesn't seem as beneficial for her to skate senior at nationals this season vs next, when she can get a 2nd junior title this year and likely place higher skating as a senior next year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Mia’s quads are called clean and she makes the JGPF and medals (long shot) she could be a contender. Like I said earlier, USFS will want people they can market and show off. Landing quads does that. Being an artistic but having no 3A or quads does not.
I don’t know about that. Gracie Gold is still a star who attracts people. The Regional in which she competed was SRO. My mother, whose usual response to me mentioning a skater is “who?” knows exactly who she is.

For that matter, among the men, Jason is certainly a draw and had no quads until very very recently.

I don’t care if skaters have no 3A or quads. I want to see skaters who move me emotionally. It would be difficult for a junior to do that, though not impossible.

beepboop

On the Ice
I don’t know about that. Gracie Gold is still a star who attracts people. The Regional in which she competed was SRO. My mother, whose usual response to me mentioning a skater is “who?” knows exactly who she is.

For that matter, among the men, Jason is certainly a draw and had no quads until very very recently.

I don’t care if skaters have no 3A or quads. I want to see skaters who move me emotionally. It would be difficult for a junior to do that, though not impossible.
But Gracie rose to prominence in an era where having a 3A/quad wasn't basically a prerequisite to being internationally competitive. She got a lot of attention in the lead up to the 2014 Olympics because she had a viable shot of medalling (and even at OGM) which was, in turn, because her tech content rivaled that of the best international competitors. And not to detract from her skating accomplishments (of which there are many), but she's also pretty and blonde and extremely marketable to the general American public.

To me, Jason is a different story. He's in a league of his own in terms of artistry, and I don't think any of the current US women match that level of artistic talent. Even Karen Chen is a noticeable step below Jason, IMO. He's also been skating for a long time (if he makes the 2022 Olympic, it will have been 9 and a half years since his senior international debut), and therefore has been able to steadily and gradually refine his craft and build up his international reputation despite not being in contention for many international podiums. Unfortunately, the vast majority of women skaters will not enjoy that type of longevity, and will need a more "meteoric" rise that, in this era of skating, can come only from being technically competitive.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Gracie is no longer competitive, minimally at the domestic level and not at all internationally. It would not make sense for USFS to use their limited marketing resources to promote her. In her prime, her strength was as a technician. Personally she is not on my list of skaters who are strongly artistic or evoke an emotional response (such as Mao’s 2014 Olympic FS). I find dismissing younger skaters’ hard earned 3A and quads because that’s not what you personally value in figure skating - a bit rude. I also don’t see any evidence that Gracie attracts people or audiences more than the current competitive skaters and National medalists. If an event like Sun Valley could easily sell out a show with Gracie, why wouldn’t they invite her? Or Stars on Ice. Yet they haven’t done so for years.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm not sure why she is a favorite of the USFS since she has some of the weakest skating skills and speed among the Junior ladies and some wonky jump technique that's not going to survive a growth spurt unless she makes some serious improvement in her skating.
I'm getting Caroline Zhang vibes here. She never had a decent Double Axel even though she was Junior World Champion

sheetz

Record Breaker
Sierra Venetta stormed back to win the FS at Skate Detroit, scoring 133.68 with a nearly clean 7 triple program including a rare 3Lo-1Eu-3S combo. Gabby Izzo had 1 fall and finished 2nd with 125.72.

Adding both SP and FS together Izzo finished with a total of 197.48 and Venetta with 186.04.

Last edited:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Sierra Venetta stormed back to win the FS at Skate Detroit, scoring 133.68 with a nearly clean 7 triple program including a rare 3Lo-1Eu-3S combo. Gabby Izzo had 1 fall and finished 2nd with 125.72.

Adding both SF and FS together Izzo finished with a total of 197.48 and Venetta with 186.04.
Video, we need video!!
Maybe if both keep this up, they could be running for the SA TBD spot. Will either be at that so called do-or-die all important Cranberry event ?