2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

randomfan

Record Breaker
Is Satoko's program change a permanent one? As much as I loved Song for the Little Sparrow, she's skated it to its full potential already. Her one performance of Lyra Angelica in the ice show was already beautiful - I wonder why she ditched that program here.

Just like last season, Kaori is already bringing it in these early competitions. Rino is also definitely in the mix now.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Thanks for the updates. Kaori and Rino with solid skates already. Happy for them!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba needs to start going for the 3A and show jump consistency or she can forget the Olympics. She will need both just to make the team, especially if she isnt impressive during Grand Prix season. Being a Wakaba fan starts to feel like Charlie Brown waiting for Lucy to hold the football, alot of positive talk, but then the same old thing. I hope she doesn't let her talent go to waste, but time is running out. Kaori and Rino put their combos at the end for more points, and Rino doesn't have edge issues, so Wakaba is already at a disadvantage there. Rino looks very good and Kaori owns the judges in Japan, so if Wakaba skates mediocre all year, even a perfect skate at Nats will be lowballed. She needs to show some urgency.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Wakaba needs to start going for the 3A and show jump consistency or she can forget the Olympics. She will need both just to make the team, especially if she isnt impressive during Grand Prix season. Being a Wakaba fan starts to feel like Charlie Brown waiting for Lucy to hold the football, alot of positive talk, but then the same old thing. I hope she doesn't let her talent go to waste, but time is running out.
I’m not a Higuchi fan (I like her well enough but she’s definitely not a favorite), and even I’m frustrated by her wasted potential. I’m disappointed that she seems to have given up on the 3A. On one hand, I understand the thought process. Higuchi’s not consistent on her other triples and so a 3A is not going to help her anyway. But on the other hand, most of her 3A attempts were solid attempts and it would have been a great jump for her.

The judges are overscoring Sakamoto, but Sakamoto still has put in the necessary work. She’s improved her consistency, started backloading the 3F+3T in the SP, and improved her spins. She’s worked on what she already has while giving up the desperate 4T attempts. Higuchi probably needs to go that route; otherwise, yes, she will struggle making the top five come Nationals.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I’m not a Higuchi fan (I like her well enough but she’s definitely not a favorite), and even I’m frustrated by her wasted potential. I’m disappointed that she seems to have given up on the 3A. On one hand, I understand the thought process. Higuchi’s not consistent on her other triples and so a 3A is not going to help her anyway. But on the other hand, most of her 3A attempts were solid attempts and it would have been a great jump for her.

The judges are overscoring Sakamoto, but Sakamoto still has put in the necessary work. She’s improved her consistency, started backloading the 3F+3T in the SP, and improved her spins. She’s worked on what she already has while giving up the desperate 4T attempts. Higuchi probably needs to go that route; otherwise, yes, she will struggle making the top five come Nationals.
The problem is top 5 isn't good enough. Top 3 is what she needs, and a 3A is needed for that in Japan. Even clean, Higuchi has never been favored by the judges in Japan, certainly not this year for sure. So she needs both things.

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
The difference between them is that Kaori is the favorite ( in Japan because the judges at Worlds were harsh) and her 4T never looked close to rotated. So, she doesn't need a 4T to be sent to the Olympics and she never looked close to getting it. Giving up on it was the right choice.

On the other hand, Wakaba is not a favorite of the Japanese judges. Her 3As in competition have been fully-rotated or at least close to rotated. She just needs to stick the landing. So, unlike Kaori, she is capable of landing the jump and she also needs it.

Without a 3A from Wakaba, the most likely Olympic team is Kaori, Rino and Rika. Hana is also quite consistent with her 3A, and while she isn't a favorite of the judges, she also has a chance if the others fail. Wakaba needs and is capable of doing a 3A.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Is Satoko's program change a permanent one? As much as I loved Song for the Little Sparrow, she's skated it to its full potential already. Her one performance of Lyra Angelica in the ice show was already beautiful - I wonder why she ditched that program here.

Just like last season, Kaori is already bringing it in these early competitions. Rino is also definitely in the mix now.
I think Satoko gave some explanations about why she chose to switch back to the previous program in the post interview. But there seemed to be no mention about if the switching will be a permanent one? Also, I didn't note this: since now it's difficult for Satoko to return to Canada to resume training, she had Takeshi Honda with her at the competition yesterday as temporary coach (probably training with Honda in Japan as well).

BTW, the story of Kaori being interrupted by the sound problemS in the SP was actually the 'highlight' of yesterday's competition. But she handled it well to complete all the jumping passes and the whole program (so I guess the judges didn't give any penalty for the interrupted performance...)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Gen-san Summer Cup - Competition final day (Aug 12)

Sr. women's - FS Starting order
*This post will be updating with the live results*

G1
(skip)

G2
8. Yuna Shiraiwa (49.82) 3S 2A 3F 3Lo3T 3Lz-fall 1Lo 3Lz2T2Lo 97.80//147.62 (FS: Sheherazade)
9. Miyabi Oba (51.71) 3F(hangs on) 2A3T 3S 3Lo 2A3T< 3Lo2T 3Lz< 98.03//149.74 (FS: Titanic)
10. Chisato Uramatsu (53.19) 3Lz+3T(step out) 2A+2T 3T 2F 3Lz+2T 1Lo 2A 90.13//143.32 (FS: Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence)
11. Ayumi Kagotani (53.67) 3Lz3T< 3F1Lo 2A2Lo2T 3S 3F 3Lz(hangs on) 2A 100.82//154.49 (FS: Once upon a December)
12. Rinka Watanabe (56.01) 3S 3LzEu3S 3A<< fall 3Lo2T 2A3T 3Lz< 1F 107.86//163.87 (FS: Carmina Burana; into 1st after 1st half)

(Resurfacing)
G3
13. Yuhana Yokoi (56.81) 2A 3F 3Lo 2A 2Lz3T2T 3F2T 3S3T(<?) 119.70// 176.51(FS: Queen's Medley, into 1st with Group 3)
14. Yura Matsuda (57.73) 3F3T< 3F 3Lz 2A 3Lo2Lo2Lo(step out) 3Lo2T 3S 110.07// 167.80 (FS: The Last Emperor)
15. Mako Yamashita (58.90) 3Lz3T2T 3F 3Lo 2A 3Lz3T(?) 2A 3S2T 128.08// 186.98 (FS: Sayuri, into 1st with Group 3)
16. Rin Nitaya (59.51) 3F 3Lo< 3S 2A 3Lz fall 3Lz2T 2A3T(turn/step) 105.92// 165.43 (Keeping the Swan Lake from last season)
17. Chiyono Nagami (59.58) 3T2T 2Lz 3S2T 2A1Eu2S 3S(?) 2T* 2A 96.97// 156.55 (Double dose of Black Swan!!)
18. Saki Miyake (61.52) 3A fall 3Lz< fall 3Lo 3T fall 3F?<2T< 3T2T2Lo 3S fall 85.02// 146.54 (FS: Moulin Rouge)

G4
19. Satoko Miyahara (61.54) 3Lz3T 2A 3Lo 3S 3F2T2Lo 3Lz 2A3T(<?) 134.74// 196.28 (FS: Tosca, currently 1st)
20. Mai Mihara (61.83) 3Lz-3T 2A 3F 3S 2A-3T 3Lz-2T-2Lo 3Lo 132.92// 194.75 (FS: same as last season)
21. Wakaba Higuchi (62.40) 3A(w/step out) 3Lz-3T 3S 2A 3Lz-3T 2Lo(step out) 3F-2T-2Lo 131.01//193.41 (FS: Lion King)
22. Mana Kawabe (64.73) 2A 3Lz? 3Lo 3Lz+3T 2A+3T(fall) 3F<+2T+2T 3S 119.33// 184.06 (FS: same as last season)
23. Rino Matsuike (70.27) 3A (Fall) 3Lz 2A 3S 3F-3T-2T 1Lz 3Lo-3T (Step out) 122.29// 192.56 (FS: Moonlight)
24. Kaori Sakamoto (73.74) 3F-3T 2A 3Lz 3S 2A-3T-2T 3F-2T 3Lo 143.50// 217.24 (FS: back to 'Piano Lesson') *Congratulation to the winner of the 'beef' Cup!! [Sakamoto: やった!おにく!おにく (Yes! The meat! The Meat!!:jump:]

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yay! The free skate has started. I will be monitoring this page frequently. Go Rino and Kaori!

Great to see Satoko skate a good free skate. Happy for her!
Yay for Mai! She is so consistent with her skates…..
Wakaba…. Yes…. She attempted a 3A and just stepped out. Good for her
Mana…. No 3A attempt. Probably too early in the season
No Rino! This was your opportunity…. Love that she stills attempts 3A. I’m so sad she missed the combo. Satoko still holding on to the top spot
Yes! Kaori was flawless! Good way to open up the season. 70+ plus 140+ two skates…. She is miles ahead from the competition in Japan without Rika. Another Gold Medal 🥇 to my queen. Wish there was a video of her skates

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Adding: Gen-San's summer cup

Sr. Ladies' - FS protocol

It looks like Wakaba's 3A is rounded, too bad about the step out...

If anyone would like to take a look at the awarding ceremony, you can try this IG account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSdnzACpRrc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link the ceremony for Sr. ladies will go on live in about 15 mins.

NB: about Kaori skating to her old program - in the post competition interview, she explained that it was a temporary decision, as she was not in good shape after the recent ice show (The Ice). It's not finalized yet which program she will skate to this season (and she already skated to a new FS in The Ice.

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Wakaba is still going for the 3A :clap: and with a 3Lo she'd be on the podium! I'm going to pray that she stops popping jumps especially for nationals :pray:

I actually think The Piano is Kaori's best FS and she won nationals with it. Glad that she is thinking about bringing it back!

Joekaz

On the Ice
The top 5 did pretty well for this early. Hopefully everyone can keep improving throughout the season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba is still going for the 3A :clap: and with a 3Lo she'd be on the podium! I'm going to pray that she stops popping jumps especially for nationals :pray:

I actually think The Piano is Kaori's best FS and she won nationals with it. Glad that she is thinking about bringing it back!
She is going to need the 3A. The judges gave Matsuike a point higher PCS than Higuchi, even though she fell.

readernick

Medalist
Wakaba needs the 3A. She also needs to stop popping her 3lo. I feel like this is a normal issue her her. A step out of a 3A at the beginning of the season is not something to worry about. But, she can't pop her triples.

I'm surprised Rino fell. She is usually so stable.

Quite a good skate from Satoko.

I really don't like Kaori's Piano freeskate but I guess I am in the minority here. She has become a reliable skater.

Last edited:

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba needs the 3A. She also needs to stop popping her 3lo. I feel like this is a normal issue her her. A step out of a 3A at the beginning of the season is not something to worry about. But, she can't pop her triples.

I really like Kaori's Piano freeskate but I guess I am in the minority here. She has become a reliable skater.
I agree. Wakaba can't afford to give away points. Her edge on the flip is problematic already, and they seem to lower her PCS every season.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I didn't know Rino has 3A, that's exciting. Even though Rika and Kaori are the favorites for Olympics spots, I think Rino or Wakaba (maybe lol) can snatch one of them. I'm happy to see Satoko having a good FS :hap10:

readernick

Medalist
I didn't know Rino has 3A, that's exciting. Even though Rika and Kaori are the favorites for Olympics spots, I think Rino or Wakaba (maybe lol) can snatch one of them. I'm happy to see Satoko having a good FS :hap10:
Japan has three spots at the Olympics. So, I would say the most likely team is Kaori, Rika ( if not still injured), and one of either Satoko, Rino or Wakaba. ( a surprise like Mana or Hana could also possibly feature). I honestly enjoy all of these women's skating quite a bit and will be sad for the ones who can't go. Kaori is my least favorite skater of this group ( but not my least favorite person, she's cute) but I think she the most likely to make the team. Rika in the form she was in at Japanese Nationals the last two years will not be beaten. However, I worry about her injury. I am not sure she is a lock. Satoko's success will depend on her jump rotation. Rino/ Wakaba's successes will depend on their consistency and how they are judged by national judges.

I find it strange that Kaori is still not getting her Lutz edge called in national competitions when they are calling all the other skaters for their edges.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Japan has three spots at the Olympics. So, I would say the most likely team is Kaori, Rika ( if not still injured), and one of either Satoko, Rino or Wakaba. ( a surprise like Mana or Hana could also possibly feature). I honestly enjoy all of these women's skating quite a bit and will be sad for the ones who can't go. Kaori is my least favorite skater of this group ( but not my least favorite person, she's cute) but I think she the most likely to make the team. Rika in the form she was in at Japanese Nationals the last two years will not be beaten. However, I worry about her injury. I am not sure she is a lock. Satoko's success will depend on her jump rotation. Rino/ Wakaba's successes will depend on their consistency and how they are judged by national judges.

I find it strange that Kaori is still not getting her Lutz edge called in national competitions when they are calling all the other skaters for their edges.
Ohh, I thought that after weak WC, they have 2 spots (I've been so absent from FS as it only made me miserable, but Tokyo Olmypics really hyped me up for Beijing '22). That's great news after 2018 Olympics!!! Kaori and Rika are almost must, if healthy; Kaori will deliver (or at least she's the Japanese lady that is most probable to deliver), while Rika is the only realistic chance for a medal. I really don't expect Satoko to go to Olympics, I mean she can peak for Nationals, I don't know if JPN federation only cares about Nationals or they care about other international events. Satoko doesn't have a strong layout and she's not consistent anymore, but maybe she will be motivated as it will be her last chance for Olympics and will have a great season overall, I would be happy if that would happen. Rino is very consistent and has good components too, with 3A (if also consistent) she's a strong contender for Olympics. Wakaba...we don't know lol If she will get everything together and peak at Nationals, she has a strong chance too. I like Mana and Hana, but Mana doesn't seem to have consistency and her 3A has been hit or miss, while Hana really lacks in PCS and her spins are weak. I don't think it will be their time yet, they're not a full package like the rest of the field.

Joekaz

On the Ice

I really don't like Kaori's Piano freeskate but I guess I am in the minority here. She has become a reliable skater.
Kaori is reliable and also the most well managed skater in Japan. Funny how she was the only top girl not skating to a new LP. They want to distance her from the field in an Olympic year right from the beginning. How can the top skater in the competition be the only one who can't "get" her new program yet? Lol.