2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Kaori is reliable and also the most well managed skater in Japan. Funny how she was the only top girl not skating to a new LP. They want to distance her from the field in an Olympic year right from the beginning. How can the top skater in the competition be the only one who can't "get" her new program yet? Lol.
Personally, I'm not in favor of recycling programs...unless there's a good justification to do so. One possible justification (for me) is that when the skater couldn't skate the old program to its full potential (such as skating the program without major mistakes) in major competitions. Kaori did skate to The Piano Lesson successfully in the 2018 All Japan National, which won her the first National title. But she wasn't able to deliver the program cleanly in the international competitions later on (not 4CC nor WC, but WTT was okay). So if she intends to bring back the old program because of this reason, I think that would be justifiable.

Well, another point is that, both reigning Oly champions in men's and women's FS recycled their previous programs and won....

Joekaz

On the Ice
Personally, I'm not in favor of recycling programs...unless there's a good justification to do so. One possible justification (for me) is that when the skater couldn't skate the old program to its full potential (such as skating the program without major mistakes) in major competitions. Kaori did skate to The Piano Lesson successfully in the 2018 All Japan National, which won her the first National title. But she wasn't able to deliver the program cleanly in the international competitions later on (not 4CC nor WC, but WTT was okay). So if she intends to bring back the old program because of this reason, I think that would be justifiable.

Well, another point is that, both reigning Oly champions in men's and women's FS recycled their previous programs and won....
According to Kaori, this was a temporary thing because she was having trouble with the new program. They haven't decided which one she will do for this season yet. My point was that most skaters in that situation would do their best with the new program in such an early, minor competition, like the other girls did. Her coach is clever and doesn't want her to look vulnerable in an Olympic year.

Country
Israel
Japan has three spots at the Olympics. So, I would say the most likely team is Kaori, Rika ( if not still injured), and one of either Satoko, Rino or Wakaba. ( a surprise like Mana or Hana could also possibly feature). I honestly enjoy all of these women's skating quite a bit and will be sad for the ones who can't go. Kaori is my least favorite skater of this group ( but not my least favorite person, she's cute) but I think she the most likely to make the team. Rika in the form she was in at Japanese Nationals the last two years will not be beaten. However, I worry about her injury. I am not sure she is a lock. Satoko's success will depend on her jump rotation. Rino/ Wakaba's successes will depend on their consistency and how they are judged by national judges.

I find it strange that Kaori is still not getting her Lutz edge called in national competitions when they are calling all the other skaters for their edges.
As much as I like Kaori, her flutz needs to be acknowledged and taken care of..

Dawn825

Medalist
As much as I like Kaori, her flutz needs to be acknowledged and taken care of..
I think the general consensus is that by the time a skater is in the fourth year of their senior career, there's no taking care of a flutz. Correct edges need to be taught when learning single jumps, not nearly a decade after learning triple jumps. Do I think she should lose points on her triple flutz, yes. Do I think it would be ludicrous to train a quad flutz, yes:)slink:). But do I think she could possibly undo years and years of muscle memory to learn what would basically be a completely new triple jump by the Olympics, no way.
Speaking of Kaori, I was rewatching the 2018 Olympic ladies short this morning, and she was so fabulous! Easily out-jumped the first 3 hours of ladies, and many after that. I so wish she had gotten a triple axel or quad by now, it would be a thing of beauty.

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think the general consensus is that by the time a skater is in the fourth year of their senior career, there's no taking care of a flutz. Correct edges need to be taught when learning single jumps, not nearly a decade after learning triple jumps. Do I think she should lose points on her triple flutz, yes. Do I think it would be ludicrous to train a quad flutz, yes:)slink:). But do I think she could possibly undo years and years of muscle memory to learn what would basically be a completely new triple jump by the Olympics, no way.
Speaking of Kaori, I was rewatching the 2018 Olympic ladies short this morning, and she was so fabulous! Easily out-jumped the first 3 hours of ladies, and many after that. I so wish she had gotten a triple axel or quad by now, it would be a thing of beauty.
If I remember right, about halfway through through the LP it looked like she might podium.

breadstal

Record Breaker
Rino's FS looks so promising, I loved it even with a few mistakes! Wakaba's SP is very pretty, and so is her dress :love2: The 3A in free looked really good, even though she stepped out. Kaori's SP music situation, I- She handled it well, though lol I hoped smth from powerful, after I saw 'Gladiator', though. Mao Shimada is such an insanely talented jumper, so clean. I hope she will get to grow artistically in near future!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Jeez, Kaori looks like she is even fitter this year,

And I always get a kick out of thw wat her program begins with her coach giving her a nice slap on the back to unleash the beast. Haha
She seemed a little lighter on her feet with softer landings to me. Maybe it was the softer music,but thay was my impression.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Kaori was absolutely stunning. Her spins have improved and she's going for max BV with the 3 spins. Maybe slight difference with FCSp4 vs. FSSp4. The levels weren't all there but the spins were improved and wonderful. More flexibility, and the whole of that last spin was stunning.

Clean FS....in August. Bravo Kaori!!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Kaori was absolutely stunning. Her spins have improved and she's going for max BV with the 3 spins. Maybe slight difference with FCSp4 vs. FSSp4. The levels weren't all there but the spins were improved and wonderful. More flexibility, and the whole of that last spin was stunning.

Hi, what does max base value mean? Like, I know that a layback to a beilmann is level 4 if u get the number of rotations right, but wakaba still receives level 4 w/o a beilmann; so what you're saying is, both wakaba's layback and kaori's layback are level 4 but kaori's will earn more points? Sorry, but it's so confusing.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Hi, what does max base value mean? Like, I know that a layback to a beilmann is level 4 if u get the number of rotations right, but wakaba still receives level 4 w/o a beilmann; so what you're saying is, both wakaba's layback and kaori's layback are level 4 but kaori's will earn more points? Sorry, but it's so confusing.
I mean that a lot of times skaters keep the same format for spins between the SP and FS. The spin requirements in the SP are different which usually means skaters include a LSp4 (layback) which has 2.7 BV, whereas in the FS you can upgrade.

So in the SP Kaori attempts FCSp4 (3.2 BV), CCoSp4 (3.5 BV) and LSp4 (2.7 BV).

And for the FS it's FSSp4 (3.0 BV), CCoSp4 (3.5 BV) and FCCoSp4 (3.5 BV). Absolutely perfect is if Kaori did a FCSp4 instead of FSSp4, but not much difference.

silveruskate

On the Ice
This is Kaori's FS:

It's the Gensan Summer Cup, you can see more performances below the video for other skaters.
All videos just removed this second! Are copyright people looking at this thread? 😭

Mauvedreamer

Final Flight
This is Kaori's FS:

It's the Gensan Summer Cup, you can see more performances below the video for other skaters.
Thankyou so much. 🤩

Joekaz

On the Ice

Do you think she will still use her new program this season or stick with this one again?