2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

Dawn825

Medalist
I love Wakaba's SP, the music is so unexpected, I think it's the first time I've seen her do a softer lyrical program, and it was clear she worked very hard on the choreography and interpretation. We see sooo many skaters just returning to the styles they're comfortable with over and over again, so I really really appreciate the effort and inspiration she showed here. Can't say I feel the same about her FP, seemed pretty generic - a bit of choreography at the start and during the step sequence at the end, but everything between that could had any music playing in the background. Great triple axel! Couldn't care less about the step out, I just root for her so hard. She showed far more stamina than we've seen from her recently, I don't remember if she had a pop or a fall but she usually has a LOT so I hope this a the start of a great Olympic season for her :love2:
Kaori is a brilliant jumper, but I have questions. She looks so fit, I wonder why she or her coach couldn't commit to going for some harder elements? I don't rlly like the short, it's generic in a bad dress imo. Considering what a big hit her Matrix program was partly because it was so different than what anyone else was doing, I wish she had thrown us something unexpected and creative. Does anyone know what her FP was supposed to be? I will again be disappointed if she uses the old program; it was magical the first season she had it but it just doesn't feel special anymore - like year 3 of Ashley's Moulin Rouge.
Is Rika injured? I missed her here.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Kaori……. If only she could learn a 3A, she could challenge the Russians for an Olympic podium spot. I think she tried to learn a 3A before and was unsuccessful. So, she tried a 4T and even attempted this jump at the most recent 4CC and wasn’t even close. She reminds me a bit of Midori Ito. They both execute their jumps with so much power. I feel that if she tried the 3A at a younger age, she could have had that jump in her repertoire. But, I will keep on fantasizing that one day I will wake up and she will successfully add the 3A to her programs 🙏🏽

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Kaori is ... wish she had thrown us something unexpected and creative. Does anyone know what her FP was supposed to be?
She did perform the new FS earlier in The Ice. And from what was reported, the new FS includes at least the following music:
- “No More Fight Left In Me” from “Woman”
- “Tris” from movie “Divergent”

readernick

Medalist
Is Rika injured? I missed her here
Yes, she was badly injured ( back injury... She couldn't even walk during WTT) at the end of last season and is still recovering. I actually wonder if she will even do the GPs this year. She needs to focus on recovery and getting ready for Japanese Nationals.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Local competitions of Aug 21-22 weekend:

• Tokyo summer cup (the competition has been down-sized due to the emergency situation in Tokyo. So only SP will be skated)
Sr. ladies: Rinka Watanabe, Yuna Aoki, Wakaba Higuchi, Tomoe Kawabata
Jr. ladies: Rion Sumiyoshi

• 2021 All Osaka II FS competition
Sr. ladies: Riko Takino, Yuna Shiraiwa

Joekaz

On the Ice
Kaori……. If only she could learn a 3A, she could challenge the Russians for an Olympic podium spot. I think she tried to learn a 3A before and was unsuccessful. So, she tried a 4T and even attempted this jump at the most recent 4CC and wasn’t even close. She reminds me a bit of Midori Ito. They both execute their jumps with so much power. I feel that if she tried the 3A at a younger age, she could have had that jump in her repertoire. But, I will keep on fantasizing that one day I will wake up and she will successfully add the 3A to her programs 🙏🏽
Kaori is more like Osmond than Ito. She relies on speed and jumps out, more than up. Wakaba is much more like Ito, as she is a powerful vertical jumper, although no woman today can jump like Midori. Kaori is too slow a rotator, that is her problem. She is built for power, not quick rotation. You can say the same for Wakaba too, but she has the jumping ability to get enough height and maintain control.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Yes, are the Japanese judges actually starting to score her fairly? How did this happen?
It was a local competition, so I don't know how that affects the scoring, but no call on the 3F is interesting. Also, relatively low GOE on the combo for her. I wish I could see it, lol. Its great that she did a clean program though, but I still think she should be doing 3A every chance she gets.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
In case ppl are wondering about no entry to the rest of the JGPs from Japan so far, JSF just announced that they will not send any skater to the rest of the competitions either. (source in Japanese).

The main reason is due to the quarantine requirements for competitors' returning to Japan.

Also, JSF does not plan to assign skaters to the CS competitions including (the earlier) Lombardia Trophy and Autumn Classic. For the later competition, Satoko who's already listed in the entry will WD from the competition (as she plans to concentrate on practice domestically)

JSF may send skaters to the Asian Open (as the Olympic test event) later on.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Only Asian Open? 🤬 They really don't care about anyone but their top 3, it seems to me. I hate them.
Pity about Satoko, I thought she was relocating back to Canada but looks like she's not.
Good to see Tomoe back in competition, though I hope her scores improve as the season progresses.

Lyyli

On the Ice
Olympic test event will take place October 13th-17th and Skate America right after October 22nd-24th. Kaori, Satoko, Yuhana, Shun, Shoma, Miura/Kihara and Komatsubara/Koleto will compete at SA so the test event is not suitable for them I think.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
In case ppl are wondering about no entry to the rest of the JGPs from Japan so far, JSF just announced that they will not send any skater to the rest of the competitions either. (source in Japanese).

The main reason is due to the quarantine requirements for competitors' returning to Japan.

Also, JSF does not plan to assign skaters to the CS competitions including (the earlier) Lombardia Trophy and Autumn Classic. For the later competition, Satoko who's already listed in the entry will WD from the competition (as she plans to concentrate on practice domestically)

JSF may send skaters to the Asian Open (as the Olympic test event) later on.
A quick clarification from the news announced yesterday: I think in the news it only stated that JSF will not send skaters to Lombardia and Autumn Classic (with Satoko's WD), but did not mention further arrangements for other CS competitions. The only CS competition that is mentioned specifically is AO (as the Olympic test event). So it sounds more like JSF is taking the 'wait and see' to the other CS competitions' assignments later on (including Nebelhorn...doesn't have to but can send someone, Finlandia, AO).

Usually, once the GP season gets started, there will be no further assignments to CS competitions from JSF. But now it's not certain if JSF intends to send skaters to those competitions later (such as Denis Ten Memorial, Cup of Austria & Golden Spin).

Dawn825

Medalist
Really weird strategy by the Japanese federation to not only not send anyone on the JGP but also to any CS events either. Why even bother competing this season then?
It's tough but if there really is a mandatory 2 week quarantine when reentering the country...thats a very hard thing to deal with. Not to mention the general heightened stress of traveling across the world during a pandemic, sitting on a plane for hours in a mask, the health risks... Its really sad news but understandable not to want to go through all that for anything less than a senior grand prix in an Olympic year.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Apparently Rika is going to be moving to the TCC now that the international borders to Canada are open: