Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Whew, now I can relax! 😅 What a great, great set of programs Kana and Dai have with their unique RD and their reworked Bayadere. 🥰 The improved combination spin, the new stationary and choreographic lifts enhance the program immensely. Dai's twizzles were so much better too - it helps that they simplified the transitions there. I'm just a little sad they separated the combination lift into an individual straightline and rotational one. I thought the lift worked well in the original version of the program. However, that's nitpicking. Kana and Dai already made such huge strides as a team since December and it will be so, so exciting to see them blossom even more. 😊

Skatesocs

Final Flight
He improved his Skating Skills so fast o_O Behind Komatsubara/Koleto in that regard still, of course they are as a team, but it's still stunning. A more artistically complete team, too, she's even better than him musically at times (I hope everyone here has seen her participation in singles skating), which is certainly no mean feat. Probably need more work on the technical elements (I can never tell in Ice Dance), but I wouldn't mind them being the top Japanese team this season.

ETA: LOVE the arm movements on their twizzles in the RD.

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
^Yeah, he's gaining power a lot more easily now, and is able to move with deeper edges and better control over his blades. Keeps his glide and flow a lot better, too. All around much improved.

BTW, lol, is that supposed to be a fisherman's net on his shoulder in the RD?

Skatesocs

Final Flight
Sorry last post lmao

The Okuni dance, I'm in love with the hip hop sections :rofl:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
BTW, lol, is that supposed to be a fisherman's net on his shoulder in the RD?

Hmm, the same silver embellishments can be seen on Kana's sleeves – they look more abstract to me rather than like fishing nets. These are probably not the final versions of the costumes either, though I wouldn't mind if they were as they complement the program very well.

The Okuni dance, I'm in love with the hip hop sections :rofl:

As Kana said, they weren't going for traditional hip hop moves, but drew on Dai's vocabulary as a dancer he accumulated through the various projects he worked on – or in this case more precisely on his stint with kabuki theater. Okuni's dance itself was a fusion of different styles – traditional kabuki and the inventive dance brand of Japanese artists "Tokyo Gegegay", which in turn draws on a variety of contemporary styles, hip hop being one among them (see here for more background info on the creation of Okuni's dance).

The result is eclectic and truly unique.

An observant fan spotted another cool "Easter egg" in the RD – the opening pose resembles the kanji for "fish" (魚):

I love the concept they have chosen so much. It's extremely well thought out and incorporates all these fun details and references. Another thing that ties it all together is that Kana and Dai were both born in March and thus are both pisces (as reflected in their official banner).

Last edited:

Skatesocs

Final Flight
but drew on Dai's vocabulary as a dancer he accumulated through the various projects he worked on – or in this case more precisely on his stint with kabuki theater. Okuni's dance itself was a fusion of different styles – traditional kabuki and the inventive dance brand of Japanese artists "Tokyo Gegegay", which in turn draws on a variety of contemporary styles, hip hop being one among them (see here for more background info on the creation of Okuni's dance).
Yes, this particular bit is what I was referring to:

Marie: According to him, our style (TokyoGeGeGay has their own unique style with various tricks from hip-hop dance, such as fierce movements of hands and heads) was completely new to him so we thought we had to teach him the basic skills (of hip-hop) on the first day, but he had extremely sharp senses and his speed of acquisition (of choreography) was abnormally fast(laughs).

The idea behind the Okuni dance is very fun to me, because essentially the character he is playing is a man (Yoshitsune) dressed as a shrine maiden (Izumi no Okuni) doing a female dance (onna mai). So some of the movement and facial expression being very much reminiscent of voguing is a very fun idea to me, in that dance, and it does look like an entire section is devoted to it. Of course, it enriches and fuses with traditional Japanese movement to create something even more inventive.

As Kana said, they weren't going for traditional hip hop moves,
Yes, it is obvious in the RD they aren't doing "traditional hip hop moves". Which is why I didn't bring it up. :)

An observant fan spotted another cool "Easter egg" in the RD – the opening pose resembles the kanji for "fish" (魚):
Very much so. I think the idea is cohesive through the program.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I guess it's not set in stone, but this sportiva article suggests that they will do a Challenger, NHK Trophy (confirmed), Sectionals and Nationals:

Since it is the Olympic test event and the federation announced they'd like to send skaters to Asian Open if possible this is most likely the Challenger the article refers to (if it doesn't get cancelled like GP China and 4CC). Asian Open is scheduled for October 13-17.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Here are some very interesting videos by a Japanese lady who's a big ice dance fan for years talking about Kana/Dai and their programs (some of you must have watched already I guess). :):love2:

Her thoughts on their Soran RD after watching Fuji TV report prior to the season:

On their actual RD and FD at the Labor day Invitational:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAOl3P3NTn4

Hope all is well with you. Stay safe and happy. :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
From BS Fuji TV last on Sunday. Another clip of their SD, mainly recorded from the short side and more closed-up. 😍

ETA 'WOW' to their new lift. A little scaring, though. ><
During the interview afterward, doesn't Dai look like he's in his twenties again!

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh wow this up close angle shows how spot on their technique really is. I love this RD and I expect it will score very well this season. Thanks for sharing deedee and hope all is well with you and your family😘

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Footwork breakdown of Soran bushi by meowmix (thx a bunch 😀)!

Meowmix has also uploaded comparison videos of the MB done by different teams, showing how good Kana and Dai already are in its execution. I think if Dai slightly improves his RBO edge after the bracket and Kana the LBI edge on her twizzle as well as the subsequent RBO edge they should be able to get KP 3 + 4:

Last edited:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Kana and Dai are back in Japan. :)

NHK TV crew visited them while they were in Florida.
I hope you can watch the video from outside Japan. RoLi in FD looks different from Labor Day Invitational, and more choreography has been added to RD. Dai said he didn't have enough time to prepare before NHK Trophy last year, but he is looking forward to it this year. Kana said they are skating much closer to each other this year.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Photos and short article of KanaDai at official practice.
They have beautiful new costumes for their FD.