Jason Brown | Page 867 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

sdwyer52

On the Ice
Yeah thank god that the bling-o-meter won’t be a factor! To be clear, I was mostly thinking of the FS costume, and I agree Jason probably loves it and no one’s coercing him into wearing it. If he discusses in an interview why he chose that particular design /its meaning to him, I probably won’t give it another thought except to occasionally mourn its less than flattering effect (IMO 😂) on his proportions.

I guess between TSL projecting possible doom due to injury and all the authoritative and opinionated blah blah blah on FSU about how likely it is that one of the up and comers will overtake him for one of the Oly spots, I’m projecting my own insecurities onto Jason’s new costume. 😉 I guess I should remind myself that just because I’m associating the new costume with mistakes he and the team made in 2018 doesn’t mean he is - or that he’s heading down a similar path this year! 😂
This is a new team - Don’t disrespect Rohene - he is Jason’s good friend. He also asked Jason to skate Sinnerman a few years ago. I’m sure he and Jason came up with the ideas for the SP costumes together for what he has been wearing recently. This mesh etc. is the current fashion for costumes. Jason is a grown man and can make these decisions for himself.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I disagree - costumes are extremely important when presenting a program. If they weren’t, we wouldn’t be talking out it. Think about skaters that don’t wear a proper costume. It’s like going to the rink to watch a practice. When no effort at all is put in, it looks like that - this is ice skating. Part of the deal is performing and showing your best body line and skating ability.

I think it’s fine to have different ideas about these things. 😇 Perhaps part of it is that as someone who used to spend a lot of time watching singers, etc., in rehearsals (former young artist at a large international opera house 😊) I personally care a lot less about costumes and a lot more about what the performer is actually doing. In fact I’d probably say I prefer the backstage view of things, so to speak. But with Jason’s new FS costume in particular, I simply don’t think it shows his body lines off as well it could; I find it distracting. But that doesn’t mean everyone needs to agree with me!

ETA regarding your other post, I think you misunderstand. I’m not disrespecting Jason or Ro. I’ve been a Jason fan for years and I think Ro is, to put it bluntly, a choreographic genius. That doesn’t mean I have to like every costume Jason’s ever worn, and in fact IMO, some of them (version 1 of Tristan, version 1 of the Piano, and the blue velvet onesie he wore at some point for Inner Love all come quickly to mind) are downright awful. I feel the same about the S&G costume, which came out of Toronto. You’re welcome to disagree.

Last edited:

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I think it’s fine to have different ideas about these things. 😇 Perhaps part of it is that as someone who used to spend a lot of time watching singers, etc., in rehearsals (former young artist at a large international opera house 😊) I personally care a lot less about costumes and a lot more about what the performer is actually doing. In fact I’d probably say I prefer the backstage view of things, so to speak. But with Jason’s new FS costume in particular, I simply don’t think it shows his body lines off as well it could; I find it distracting. But that doesn’t mean everyone needs to agree with me!
You haven’t even seen him skate in it. There is nothing wrong with his body line. Give him a break. Be nice like him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You haven’t even seen him skate in it. There is nothing wrong with his body line. Give him a break. Be nice like him.

@Tavi is perfectly capable of speaking for herself, but I am going to jump in and say that she is a Jason fan of long standing and *is* being nice, I think.

All of us here love Jason and all of us admire Rohene. It doesn't mean we can't, with that love, disagree about details like costumes. The Rohene bling-o-meter has been a running joke in this thread for over four years (?) I think. It doesn't mean we disrespect Rohene.

I for one bow to no one in my Jason fandom. And I am not convinced by the FS costume. We will see🤷‍♀️ Jason could sell anything (well, the velvet blue onesie, he sold in spite of it) so he may well sell it.

I can't wait until Finlandia to see him try. :)

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think costumes are important to Jason. He's into the whole of the performance. Glitter is appropriate for Sinnerman. The styling seems right also. SL is always tricky, but I like what they came up with. It needs to be abstract and it is. But it is also evocative. When there is no story to be told, costumes are less important. But when a story is to be told, costumes help tell the story. Jason always tells stories and he tries to match the costume to the story. Sometimes it works. Sometimes, not so much. I am looking forward to seeing the new iteration of SL and will judge the costume then. Looking forward to Finlandia. I hope that there is a stream! I will get up in the middle of the night to watch Jason!

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I’m going to try one more time to be nice about this.

I did not say there is anything wrong with Jason’s body line. I did not say anything disrespectful about Ro.

All of us are entitled to our opinions. You are entitled to yours. I’m sorry if you don’t like mine, but it’s really not appropriate for you to lecture me, and I’d very much appreciate it if you’d stop.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@Ross74 what a great point, why did Jason go to Toronto? I'm sure he could have found some ice somewhere in California and it would have saved him a plane ride. Oh well, ours is not to question why:biggrin:

@katmari, I agree those photos with Karen in 2018 were beyond cute, but then I remember what happened in 2018😭

Skatesocs

Final Flight
But with Jason’s new FS costume in particular, I simply don’t think it shows his body lines off as well it could; I find it distracting.
For me, we do have to watch him skate first to see what it does for his body line. But my issue is the raggedy, torn affectations and the "fire" design on one side, as they make me dislike it. It looks tasteless.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@Ross74 what a great point, why did Jason go to Toronto? I'm sure he could have found some ice somewhere in California and it would have saved him a plane ride. Oh well, ours is not to question why:biggrin:

@katmari, I agree those photos with Karen in 2018 were beyond cute, but then I remember what happened in 2018😭

Maybe they decided on changes to the SL choreo and that was the only time he could get with David Wilson.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason and Karen have such a lovely friendship - I have my fingers crossed that Karen gets on the Olympic team (as well as Jason obviously) because I’d love to see them both in Beijing together!!

noskates

Record Breaker
Hello all....back from 8 days in the beautiful Southwest. Not a block of ice in sight. Weighing in on Jason's costumes. I frankly love them. I think the fire in the FS is going to be beautiful as he moves through his program. It's dramatic and emotionally exacting. Someone upthread said "raggedy and torn" which sadly kind of describes many aspects of the Holocaust. I'm guessing A LOT of thought went in to designing Jason's costumes and I would bet the bank he had input! In just skimming the last few pages I think Jason is having an exceptionally good time during his days leading up to competition and is getting a lot of attention. I'll restate my thoughts on TSL AGAIN - take anything they say with a grain of salt until or unless you hear it from the skater himself/herself OR their coaching team. It's sensationalistic reporting and a couple of people who are too full of themselves and want you to think they are "in the know!" (we all know the type!) Very glad Jason is getting a Challenger series and also very happy for Alyssa Liu.

Zaki

On the Ice
The white is rhinestones on the SP costume. Something has to be flashy - he is performing in a big arena! I think both costumes are beautiful and fit him perfectly.
We agree to disagree. Even if you have to have something "flashy" I don't think that is the right way to go. But this is just my opinion and some of the comments both on Instagram and Twitter make my skin crawl. Sinnerman is such a beautiful program, masterfully coreographed , but the costume doesn't seem right to me.

Rohene's comment "Thank for asking." "LOL" makes me think that he feels skeptical too about this choice.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, the good news is that men’s SP/FS at Finlandia are Oct 7-8, which means we only have to wait 25 days - a little more than 3 weeks, guys! - to see Jason skate (and of course, to see his costumes in action). 😈 Frankly I’m more concerned with how he skates than what he looks like, but in the interests of peace and harmony, I’m hoping that some of us - including me - like them better in action.

It’s a little odd that Finlandia hasn’t posted the full list of competitors yet, but perhaps they’ve been too busy given the extra day / large number of entries. Hopefully they’ll post it next week. In any case, given that it’s the Olympic season, we can expect to it to be competitive.

sdwyer52

On the Ice