2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2021-22 U.S. Pairs Figure Skating

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Although there was no legitimate live stream available (and I didn't dare try out on a illegitimate one) K/F seemed to have done very well in the SP at the John Nicks Pair Challenge just now. 76.09 points! Calalang/Johnson were second with 67.33 points, followed closely by Liu/O'Shea (66,67) and Lu/Mitrofanov (66,16).

mrrice

Record Breaker
Although there was no legitimate live stream available (and I didn't dare try out on a illegitimate one) K/F seemed to have done very well in the SP at the John Nicks Pair Challenge just now. 76.09 points! Calalang/Johnson were second with 67.33 points, followed closely by Liu/O'Shea (66,67) and Lu/Mitrofanov (66,16).
Alexa and Brandon have a fairly large lead over the rest of the field. Lets hope they have an amazing Free Program and get their Olympic Season off to a great start.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ETA: A Belated Wish

to all our U.S Favorites -- Good luck, have an Amazing Free Program at the John Nicks, and a great confidence-builder for your Olympic season!

Jessica Calalang and Brian Johnson

❤️Chelsea Liu and Danny O'Shea❤️

Audrey Lu and Misha Mitrofanov

Emily Chan and Spencer Howe

Katie McBeath and Nate Bartholomay

Kate Finster and Matej Silecky

And to anyone else I have inadvertently missed!

ETA: It looks like I missed that it's already happened! Well, I've had a busy day ...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The final results:

1-212.55 1, 1 Knierim/Frazier
2-196.69 2,2 Calalang/Johnson
3-187.20 4,3 Lu/Mitrofanov
4-177.55 3,5 Liu/O'Shea
5-174.52 5,4 Pepleva/Pleshkov RUS
6-170.08 6,6 Chan/Howe
7-165.85 8,7 Kops/Krasnapolski ISR
8-161.69 7,8 McBeath/Bartholomay
9-148.59 10,9 Crafoord/Crafoord SWE
10-130.47 9,10 Finster/Silecky
11-89.65 11,11 Burden/Rounis

The top 3 had no falls.

momrk

Medalist
Country
United-States
The final results:

1-212.55 1, 1 Knierim/Frazier
2-196.69 2,2 Calalang/Johnson
3-187.20 4,3 Lu/Mitrofanov
4-177.55 3,5 Liu/O'Shea
5-174.52 5,4 Pepleva/Pleshkov RUS
6-170.08 6,6 Chan/Howe
7-165.85 8,7 Kops/Krasnapolski ISR
8-161.69 7,8 McBeath/Bartholomay
9-148.59 10,9 Crafoord/Crafoord SWE
10-130.47 9,10 Finster/Silecky
11-89.65 11,11 Burden/Rounis

The top 3 had no falls.
Love that last sentence- Top 3 had no falls!

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's a really nice win for Alexa and Brandon. This it fairly large margin and a BIG score for being this early in the season. Congratulations!!

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
That's something I noticed yesterday when reading the short program protocols: on that day, only two of the pairs couples had a deduction for a fall. That -- and today's FS showings -- is very encouraging for all our pairs!
Not to be a debbie downer, lol, but the protocols (for both SP & LP) also showed a high percentage of negative GOE on the jumps/throws; not actual falls, but a lot of step-outs & two-foots.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not to be a debbie downer, lol, but the protocols (for both SP & LP) also showed a high percentage of negative GOE on the jumps/throws; not actual falls, but a lot of step-outs & two-foots.
Yeah, it's good you're pointing this out. I was just pleased to see fewer actual falls. The jumps and throws are works in progress, I hope. :)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
A post from Ashley after Autumn Classic. I figured she had lost a bit of confidence and endurance after having to recover from the virus. But they seem happy to have made the podium. The fact that it was a small field helped. Good luck to them for picking things up and getting back to work, and being ready for their next outing.

Next stop before SkAm is Finlandia Trophy for Ash/Timothy and for Calalang/Johnson. It will be a stacked field:

Plus, we get to see at least one performance from John Nicks Pairs Challenge, posted by Audrey Lu. It looks like she and Misha improved on the miscues they experienced at Cranberry Cup. Good for them:

^^ Wait a bit for the photo shoot pan, and then the program video appears...

Last edited:

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
A post from Ashley after Autumn Classic. I figured she had lost a bit of confidence and endurance after having to recover from the virus. But they seem happy to have made the podium. The fact that it was a small field helped. Good luck to them for picking things up and getting back to work, and being ready for their next outing.

Next stop before SkAm is Finlandia Trophy for Ash/Timothy and for Calalang/Johnson. It will be a stacked field:

Plus, we get to see at least one performance from John Nicks Pairs Challenge, posted by Audrey Lu. It looks like she and Misha improved on the miscues they experienced at Cranberry Cup. Good for them:

Obviously they know what is best for them but I can’t imagine why Ashley and Tim are traveling overseas right now in their condition. It seems like that will only exhaust her more and have them miss out on more training time to get back in shape.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Obviously they know what is best for them but I can’t imagine why Ashley and Tim are traveling overseas right now in their condition. It seems like that will only exhaust her more and have them miss out on more training time to get back in shape.
Yeah, maybe. But we really aren't in the loop, or specifically knowledgeable about her physical condition and recovery, etc. It might be that they feel the need to get more competition under their belts. It's such bad luck that Ash came down with COVID, because she and Timothy both were looking very sharp and confident prior to Ash's illness.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’m glad Ashley understands it takes awhile to come back from severe hospitalization needed Covid.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I confess, I don't follow off season figure skating that closely and so I don't visit this site as frequently in the the summer. So I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere (and would appreciate a link because I'm probably not going back through all these pages and threads), but was the issue involving Calalang/Johnson ever disclosed? Also now that they are back on the national team (they are back right?) are they eligible for a spot at Skate America or could they be considered as replacements in other grand prix events if there are withdraws?

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I confess, I don't follow off season figure skating that closely and so I don't visit this site as frequently in the the summer. So I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere (and would appreciate a link because I'm probably not going back through all these pages and threads), but was the issue involving Calalang/Johnson ever disclosed? Also now that they are back on the national team (they are back right?) are they eligible for a spot at Skate America or could they be considered as replacements in other grand prix events if there are withdraws?
No, the issue was never disclosed. Yes, they've been assigned the host pick spot at Skate America. I assume they can be considered for other grand prix events if spots open up, but the host fed assigns any replacements, if I'm not mistaken. It wouldn't be the USFS assigning them if one of our other pairs had to withdraw, if that's what you're thinking. Someone might correct me on that last bit.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
No you are right. If a USA team has to withdraw from a Grand Prix event, the host federation can pick almost any team they want. The team picked can't already have a spot in two other separate events. If the host country already has three teams in the event, they cannot pick a fourth host team to replace the team that withdrew.

yuki@thelake

On the Ice
They have released the Henderson championship series list of competitors, and will be interesting to see how each team performs:
  • 2 juvenile pairs
  • 5 intermediate pairs
  • 7 novice pairs
  • 12 junior pairs
  • 7 senior pairs