Jason Brown | Page 874 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
It appears Jason gave a little interview to Russian media. I'll copy paste it here from Team Cricket's Instagram:

teamcricket_figureskating Jason's interview for Russian media (google translation with some corrections)

– There was a 4S in the planned content, but you didn't jump it. What's happened with it?
– I work on it (quad) every day – it's getting better and better. But at this moment I can't perform out the program with a quad without compromising the quality, so it's too early to put it. I plan to do it at Skate Canada in two weeks, we'll see. I put it into my program, I open the program with it, but today I was just not ready. Also, I lost a couple of weeks of preparation due to injury. I'll try to catch up.
– You won against the skaters who jumped several quads, you won without a quad. Not everyone likes it. What do you think about it?
– I think it's a sport. Everyone plays their trump cards and tries to do it the best way. I'm not doing a quad (yet!) not because I just decided not to push myself or don't want to jump it. But after all, what I do well aren't not simple things at all. Transitions, the quality of skating, skating skills – it's not easy to do all of this at the highest level. I've been complaining about the quads for many years. I thought I wasn't good enough, that I didn't deserve my victories, that I wasn't up to the standards set by other people. I was devaluing my success in fact. But I'm just a skater who works every day to get better. It's a sport. You go out on the ice and show what you are capable of.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Jason and Dimitri often like each others photos/videos on Instagram (especially the ones that are skating related) or if one of them got a medal or something. Nice feeling when (in my case) your top two favorite male skaters are friendly with each other. Dimitri is a very nice guy as well.
He is nice and seems to have a very good attitude. I had not noticed that before, but then I usually don't read the comments except for the first few that show immediately.

Apple1078

Final Flight
It appears Jason gave a little interview to Russian media. I'll copy paste it here from Team Cricket's Instagram:

teamcricket_figureskating Jason's interview for Russian media (google translation with some corrections)

– There was a 4S in the planned content, but you didn't jump it. What's happened with it?
– I work on it (quad) every day – it's getting better and better. But at this moment I can't perform out the program with a quad without compromising the quality, so it's too early to put it. I plan to do it at Skate Canada in two weeks, we'll see. I put it into my program, I open the program with it, but today I was just not ready. Also, I lost a couple of weeks of preparation due to injury. I'll try to catch up.
– You won against the skaters who jumped several quads, you won without a quad. Not everyone likes it. What do you think about it?
– I think it's a sport. Everyone plays their trump cards and tries to do it the best way. I'm not doing a quad (yet!) not because I just decided not to push myself or don't want to jump it. But after all, what I do well aren't not simple things at all. Transitions, the quality of skating, skating skills – it's not easy to do all of this at the highest level. I've been complaining about the quads for many years. I thought I wasn't good enough, that I didn't deserve my victories, that I wasn't up to the standards set by other people. I was devaluing my success in fact. But I'm just a skater who works every day to get better. It's a sport. You go out on the ice and show what you are capable of.
Great responses to what must be some really annoying questions (though going into the interview, he probably expected them)! I just get a little sad about this tbh, especially about him feeling he didn't deserve his victories and not thinking he was good enough.

LiamV426

On the Ice
Country
Scotland

So tired of these questions, they've been getting asked ever since Jeff Buttle won Worlds in 2008 without a quad. Jason won without a quad yesterday because the men who planned them failed to deliver. Don't like it, you say? TOUGH. That's sport for you, you win Gold medals based on what you do on the day, not in practice.

Anyway, I know fan fests are supposed to be positive so I'll just say I'm happy Jason gets to start the season with a win! I hope 92 PCS with a fall means he gets 95+ with a clean program in the future because it's what he deserves! :biggrin:

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania
Great responses to what must be some really annoying questions (though going into the interview, he probably expected them)! I just get a little sad about this tbh, especially about him feeling he didn't deserve his victories and not thinking he was good enough.
Yeah, because in USA he probably heard a lot of talk about how you NEED quads like a broken record for years, but that's in the past, I think now he understands his true worth. He's kind of making history in his own way.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason has become very adept in interviews, particularly the endless quad queries.

In the words of our Secretary of Transportation when he appears on a certain TV channel, Jason know how to say “I may not be a master fisherman, but I know bait when I see it, and I’m not taking it”:biggrin:

(and I’m being deliberately vague but if you really want to know DM me so we don’t talk politics here. I just love the quote and wanted to attribute it)

And I love and appreciate translations, but I also doubt Jason was “complaining“ about quads. Training quads? Worried about quads. oh well....

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Skating interviews are among the silliest interviews going, unless the interviewer was a competitive skater not too long ago. Some of those podcast interviews with skaters by skaters are incredibly good. But the Russian interviewer had to ask that quad question because most of the fuss and fury over Jason winning medals without quads come from Russians. They see their skaters go down trying quads and losing to Jason and it ticks them off. But that's sports. He does all the other elements extremely well and gets high PCs because he works on them. He also works on his quad. He was not yet ready to do one (and that was true of many of the skaters yesterday) and refused to compromise his program. That's why Jason is still relevant, still winning medals and pushing the sport forward. He works really hard at it and he cares about skating. Not just points and medals, but HOW you earn those points and medals. But the interviewers will continue to put the question on repeat and he'll keep answering the same way. The truth is NO ONE else can do what Jason does. They don't work on it as much and they don't care as much. But the really great skaters have upped their PC game because of Jason. They work harder, they don't just complain.

El Henry, maybe Jason has been agonizing about the quads. I think that might explain what he was saying.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
So tired of these questions, they've been getting asked ever since Jeff Buttle won Worlds in 2008 without a quad. Jason won without a quad yesterday because the men who planned them failed to deliver. Don't like it, you say? TOUGH. That's sport for you, you win Gold medals based on what you do on the day, not in practice.

Anyway, I know fan fests are supposed to be positive so I'll just say I'm happy Jason gets to start the season with a win! I hope 92 PCS with a fall means he gets 95+ with a clean program in the future because it's what he deserves! :biggrin:
Jason deserved that win. People can rarely tell the difference between a triple and a quad. Quads add injuries to the skaters and shorten theirs careers.

decafjava

On the Ice
Country
Switzerland
Jason and Dimitri often like each others photos/videos on Instagram (especially the ones that are skating related) or if one of them got a medal or something. Nice feeling when (in my case) your top two favorite male skaters are friendly with each other. Dimitri is a very nice guy as well.
They are definitely cool I follow them both and really like their attitude (and skating).

kan01

Final Flight
Country
Romania

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In case you haven't seen it yet, the whole Jason interview was posted,

Very interesting what Jason thought when he found out that Mikhail Kolyada was gonna skate to SL as well. :)
Thanks for posting that. I had not seen that quote about Mikhail's program. I'm not surprised that he felt that way. And Misha does bring a very different point of view to the program. They will both need to be on their A game. We'll see how the season progresses. Jason handles interviews really well!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am yet to post my thoughts on Jason's performances through seeing it live perspective (first day at work after vacation kicks behind), but here are some photos for your enjoyment (I hope!)
View attachment 4370View attachment 4371View attachment 4372View attachment 4373

@NoNameFace thank you for posting these; how wonderful that you were able to get close enough to take such good photos:love2:And how lucky to see Jason in person, I'm sure we are all jealous. :)

I have a niggling question: do the costumes work in person? I was surprised how much more I liked them when he was skating than just posing.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
@NoNameFace thank you for posting these; how wonderful that you were able to get close enough to take such good photos:love2:And how lucky to see Jason in person, I'm sure we are all jealous. :)

I have a niggling question: do the costumes work in person? I was surprised how much more I liked them when he was skating than just posing.
It is my pleasure to share Jason seen through my (broken) phone screen! :)

As for the costumes - I enjoyed the looks quite a lot. I find both costumes on rather understated side, but working well for the programs - they are showing off his phenomenal lines, posture and do not distract from his body movement. A little sparkle in Sinnerman costume adds to the dimension while he's moving, emphasising complexity of Rohene's outstanding choreography that really engaged every fiber in Jason's body. An ombre effect with some color on the chest & arms for Schindler's List FS provides nice contrast while Jason moves & I feel makes his upper body work/his expression of face and upper body more pronounced. Both costumes for me are just enough to amp the presentation of the program to the right level, but to never distract from the presence of Jason.

And a flower crown story I promised in general FT thread - below you can see the flower crown inspired by Schindler's List FS program that was supposed to be given to Jason in Montreal at 2020 Worlds. I took it with me, not really believing it would be possible to actually give it to Jason like after FS performance to KnC like I usually tend to do. But I took it because I knew I would kick myself in the behind if I didn't. Come Friday, day of FS. Me & my friend are in the arena, standing near concession stand, I have the crown with me. Out of sudden, she spots Tracy ordering coffee few feets away and I braved it out (winging this whole flower crown giving on the fly for the whole FT) to approach her & to ask if she could give that crown to Jason. I can only say that Tracy is super kind, attentive and loves Jason as we do - she asked me from where I came to FT and was moved once I told her that this was supposed to be given at 2020 Worlds specifically for Schindler's List FS and since he uses the program again, I wanted to tank him & show my support this way. So this is how the crown was successfully delivered. I was shaking inside so badly I still wonder how any coherent words came out of my mouth to Tracy :)20211007_221741.jpg

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@NoNameFace what a beautiful story about meeting Tracy and the crown, I am 😭

Also, because Jason and Karen Chen are best buds, I will say here wish I knew how to respond to an IG message, because Karen modeling her crown on her IG stories had a message "Thank you to the kind lady who gave me this. 🤩💐" and "Kiitos". I might spill the beans:wink:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
@NoNameFace what a beautiful story about meeting Tracy and the crown, I am 😭

Also, because Jason and Karen Chen are best buds, I will say here wish I knew how to respond to an IG message, because Karen modeling her crown on her IG stories had a message "Thank you to the kind lady who gave me this. 🤩💐" and "Kiitos". I might spill the beans:wink:
In all honesty, this trip reminded me of how much power those unexpected encounters hold. How much joy it gives me to gift skaters that move me. All 4 crowns were given out by pure accidents, but I feel they got to skaters I really like/respect and who I think were happy to receive such gift (at least I hope so - green crown was given to Laura Barquero after Pairs FS when I spotted her on the stands, red/gold crown was gifted to Marjorie Lajoie after I caught her & Zachary entering skaters' zone downstairs and pastel crown as you mentioned was given to Karen Chen whose SP performance really captivated me through sheer luck by spotting Camden going into skaters' zone after Ladies' SP ended hehe).
And Tracy's words of 'He is just special, isn't he?' upon my description of Jason being one of a kind still ring in my ears. I am just so, so happy he managed to find place & people who nurture his talent and uniqueness.

And as for responding to Karen's IG story wearing the crown - there's that 'send a message' bar at the bottom of the story, so you actually can send a message hehe (snippet below) ;). I believe that Jason will wear the crown someday, but the sole thought of him having it is enough :)
Screenshot_20211011-011659_Chrome.jpg