2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Pairs' Figure Skating

eterislouisvuitton

On the Ice
Does anyone know what Nikita Volodin and Alexei Khvalko are doing now? Volodin’s former partner (Vassileva) has a new partner, which is disappointing as I thought they had plenty of potential as a Pair. I enjoyed Kuzmina/Khvalko last season, they are not on the JGP or RC stage 1, have they split? Maybe he was a bit on the small side for a Pairs guy.
Update: a new interview with the Velikovs, and Khvalko is seen to be with them. https://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/5677-lyudmila-i-vasilij-velikovy-sozdaem-novye-pary-svoi.html

There is a girl sitting with him, she is clearly not Kuzmina. The interview doesn't mention who she is or what their plans are. This is his last season in juniors and she looks rather young

Kittosuni

Medalist
So word on the street is that Sliusarenko's team might join force with Eteri's team next season on a trial basis

How many pairs does Sliusarenko have? Question is are they all going to follow him

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
So word on the street is that Sliusarenko's team might join force with Eteri's team next season on a trial basis

How many pairs does Sliusarenko have? Question is are they all going to follow him
He has Panfilova/Rylov, Artemeva/Nazarychev, Safina/Berulava, Chikmareva/Ianchenkov, Sobinina/Bakhmat so at least five pairs.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Considering that, among other things, in Poland Sergei was seen with Sliusarenko's pair Chikmareva/Ianchenkov and Sliusarenko with Sofia, I think they are de facto one school already.

This is the basic info about the school: https://allskaters.info/start_perm/

I like the idea of mergering of two of favourite schools, the only thing I've mixed feelings about is it's another step in centralization, because it means another strong school outside of Moscow/SPB moves to one of the big centres.

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
If both schools merge it would build a real powerhouse in Pairs skating. I think it would benefit his school from the jumping side, as traditionally that is the weakest part. Could Dudakov help/solve on Panfilova jumps issue? I‘d be all for that. But keep Danny G away from the choreography. I’d like to se the Perm school break through to Senior championships.

I think Elena Chikmareva has a twin sister, who is also a Pairs skater. Anna is her name.
It’d be nice to see her skate internationally.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
If both schools merge it would build a real powerhouse in Pairs skating. I think it would benefit his school from the jumping side, as traditionally that is the weakest part. Could Dudakov help/solve on Panfilova jumps issue? I‘d be all for that. But keep Danny G away from the choreography. I’d like to se the Perm school break through to Senior championships.

I think Elena Chikmareva has a twin sister, who is also a Pairs skater. Anna is her name.
I immediately thought the same, especially about P/R. I doubt Sliusarenko is doing everything pro bono, they are probably agreeing that Eteri/Dudakov would help from his side as well. I really hope they can help a miracle happen for P/R and get consistent triples for them!

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Actually Danny G have done pair choreos already and IMO not bad. I know many people do not like him, but I remember how at the start of the last season progrtams of Nastya Tarakanova were praised before it was revealed he choreographed them. I'm pretty sure at least some of his criticized choreos would get higher credit if people didn't know he created them.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Actually Danny G have done pair choreos already and IMO not bad. I know many people do not like him, but I remember how at the start of the last season progrtams of Nastya Tarakanova were praised before it was revealed he choreographed them. I'm pretty sure at least some of his criticized choreos would get higher credit if people didn't know he created them.
Just to clarify, Pitkeev choreo'ed her short and Novichkina her long. I remember there was some initial confusion due to a mistaken interview translation.

On another note I also think a lot of praised choreo would get criticism if the creator remained anonymous (I'm thinking of certain overworked North American and French choreographers...)

hanca

Record Breaker
He has Panfilova/Rylov, Artemeva/Nazarychev, Safina/Berulava, Chikmareva/Ianchenkov, Sobinina/Bakhmat so at least five pairs.
Raskovalova/Butaev and Kargulina/Kalashnikov have split up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of them stay with Sliusarenko, skating with new partners.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Kuzmina/Khvalko last season, they are not on the JGP or RC stage 1, have they split? Maybe he was a bit on the small side for a Pairs guy.
AFAIK, Kuzmina is with Fedor Klimov's team in Sochi, looking for a new partner. At least, she's had a few trainings session with them.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I immediately thought the same, especially about P/R. I doubt Sliusarenko is doing everything pro bono, they are probably agreeing that Eteri/Dudakov would help from his side as well. I really hope they can help a miracle happen for P/R and get consistent triples for them!
I hope I'm not duplicating by posting this link, but here's an interview with Maxim Trankov where he addresses this question:

You were at the side with Daniil Gleichengauz during the performance of Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov, and then next to Valentina Tyukova during the skates of Yulia Artemyeva and Mikhail Nazarychev ...
- I train Tarasova and Morozov. Recently Pavel Slyusarenko joined the work with them. Accordingly, you need to help his couples.

I always enjoy Trankov's interviews. He has interesting things to say here about the advantages at Eteri's rink (including, in my opinion, her willingness to ask for help from the right people -- intuitively.... She's a great manager). And also about what brilliant things he learned and continues to learn from Marina Zoueva.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
2nd stage of the russian cup takes place between 10-14 october in the city Yoshkar-Ola. General info:

Schedule:

Senior pairs:
SP: 12 october, 18.55 – 19.45 local time
FS: 13 october, 19.15 – 20.00 local time

Junior pairs:
SP: 12 october, 18.00 – 19.00 local time
FS: 13 october, 15.15 – 16.00 local time

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I kind of feel bad/sad for Tarasova and Morozov. I just feel they need a fire under them. Such potential. If they could just free their hearts and skate with their hearts. If they could connect with themselves. I think they can do it; I am not sure wht their issues were in the past but even if it was an act I think they could sell it.. I have watched Brian Boitano in his final years with the help of the great Bezic. I am not sure it was natural but it was like he was making love to himself with those dramatic stares into the air as he did his spread eagle. He released the passion. They need to do it. They are the only Russian team with the sophistication and class that can do it right now. I think it is mental the jump issues especially with her. If they can't get the chemistry and drama organically then go to the BEstimianova school of acting. Be the best Krylova that you can be and I mean both of them.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I kind of feel bad/sad for Tarasova and Morozov. I just feel they need a fire under them. Such potential. If they could just free their hearts and skate with their hearts. If they could connect with themselves. I think they can do it; I am not sure wht their issues were in the past but even if it was an act I think they could sell it.. I have watched Brian Boitano in his final years with the help of the great Bezic. I am not sure it was natural but it was like he was making love to himself with those dramatic stares into the air as he did his spread eagle. He released the passion. They need to do it. They are the only Russian team with the sophistication and class that can do it right now. I think it is mental the jump issues especially with her. If they can't get the chemistry and drama organically then go to the BEstimianova school of acting. Be the best Krylova that you can be and I mean both of them.
This sounds as if they were 16th out of 15 after yesterday's programs :laugh:

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This sounds as if they were 16th out of 15 after yesterday's programs :laugh:
Indeed it wasn't as bad as all that!

Still, it was sad to see them struggle. There were moments of sheer brilliance in that program! If only they could recapture the form they had for Rach 2 at 2019 World's. Pure quality.

I'm still not sold on the music choice, hopefully they like it though. If you could pick music for them what would you go for? For some reason I thought Ti Amo really suited them!

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, I think whatever program they'd like to perform would be fine if they managed not to let the errors get to them. Constantly it's what does them in, especially in the FS.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I love M/G and wish OGM for them, but… that FS music is really making me and my Soviet ass upset. The 2nd piece is the music which I used to hear every day for a long time, when the evening news segment “Time” started. Needless to say it had an effect, as if I put this as my morning alarm clock for many years.
For westerners, I imagine it would be as hearing a NBC/CNN breaking news sound as a 2nd part of the music. It doesn’t even sound like music to me anymore, I just perceive it as a “sound”.

I guess Moskvina’s idea was that only Soviet people will know this piece as such, but the whole world will hear it differently.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Indeed it wasn't as bad as all that!

Still, it was sad to see them struggle. There were moments of sheer brilliance in that program! If only they could recapture the form they had for Rach 2 at 2019 World's. Pure quality.

I'm still not sold on the music choice, hopefully they like it though. If you could pick music for them what would you go for? For some reason I thought Ti Amo really suited them!
I don't know. I can handle almost any music, as long as the skaters are expressing something through it and making me feel something with the program. T/M haven't done it for me yet with either program this year. 'Lighthouse' only evokes Savchenko/Massot for me and reminds me what a magical pair they were together.

You're right, there were moments of pure brilliance in their FS yesterday. I admire brilliance and it can make me feel, I don't exultant. But brilliance alone doesn't inspire love. For me, at least. I will say though, I think Eteri gives Zhenya confidence.