2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 156 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
So, now that we know there will be 3 Russian girls at the JGPF eligible, that means with the 9 senior GP women, there is 6 spots left to senior Russian Nationals that will be filled from Russian Cup.

I expect Samodelkina and Zinina will enter the senior Russian Cup now.

Arbitrary

Medalist
Shcherbakova is N1 as a reigning WC.
Tuktamisheva is N2 as the most trustworthy among eligible skaters from RusFed.
Valieva is N3 as the judges' favorite.
Trusova and Kostornaya are sharing N4.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
And one would expect them to qualify through that
Yes, so Samodelkina/Zinina will most likely get two spots if they enter.
Sviridenko can secure 1 spot now as she is the top name in a rather weak Stage Two (she was 4th at Stage One).

So 3 spots left. And it looks like Nugumanova, Guliakova, Tsibinova, Frolova, Konstantinova, Shulskaya will have to battle it out.

Last edited:

silveruskate

On the Ice
Not me. Valieva is incredible, but the program for me is not worthy of her talent. What a great choreographer could do for her...I shudder to think. I think sometimes team Eteri does an incredible job-Alina's Olympic program for example. But even if you insist on using Bolero, the program could be so so so much more interesting. And then Aliona's FS-just slow and boring, twilight was much better, I don't know what happened there, and parts of it were almost like she was making it up as she went along.
Absolutely! Both Twilight and Lovely were so good. I was shocked at how amazing the music cuts for Lovely were. And some of Alina's programs fabulous. So many fabulous programs have come from them, but it's more hot and kiss now.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
No, there is no guarantee it will be upward from here. I would love to see this be a turning point for her but we've said this too many times now. Liza vs. Aliona the last year is definitely advantage Liza in results and consistency. Liza beat her at Rostelecom, at Cup Finals, and now here. If Liza beats her again at Skate Canada it will firmly be in Liza's court.

Liza won't go higher in PCS but she can surely improve otherwise. She only attempted 7 triples here (no -3T), when she replaces 3Lz-2Ax w/ 3Lz-3T in first half she can add up to 2.77 pts based on previous scores. She lost up to 3.84 pts from the 3Aq-2T vs. her previous best 3A-2T, and 2.17 on the 3Lox. Lastly she only got 1 level 4 - she rarely if ever gets StSq4 but can usually get another level 4 spin. All in all that's another 9.28 points in tech she can get. Of course she won't get all her best elements at the same time but realistically with a clean performance that's still another 4-6 points. Not considering 4T because she hasn't shown it in program of course
I think though it’s a little disingenuous to assume that Aliona— who is coming off her worst season, already looks better, and showed obvious improvements in her new SP between test skates and Finlandia would be at a point cap when Liza has had 10 years on an international stage to fix things like bad program layouts and downgraded step sequences and spins but hasn’t.

We know Aliona can perform better because we’ve seen it. We do not know that Liza can because we haven’t. Trajectories are important but a bad season, of which Liza has had many, and a first competition coming off a bad season after not even competing internationally for two years aren’t really great markers for figuring out future trends. If Aliona doesn’t seem to have stabilized any more of her elements at the next competition, then maybe yes… but compare this weekend’s Aliona to last year’s and the difference is already significant.

macy

Record Breaker

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As a Liza supporter, I love how the conversation is going: the fans of the people chasing her are talking about “scoring potential” while Liza thrashes them on the scoreboard again and again.

Nothing against Kostornaia of course but Liza has been winning the head to head for a year now. And the gap and momentum is all Liza now.

I’ll take head to head wins, with a program that’s getting buzz, in exchange for being on the short end of the stick on scoring potential.

I’ll make that trade all day, everyday, and twice on Sunday.

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
I think at this point anything can happen. It's just the beginning of the season and we don't know who's going to end up going to the Olympics but I wouldn't count anyone out and I have recently learned not to underestimate Liza. She would need consistency and a little bit of luck to make it but it's not impossible.

What is sure is that everyone is going to give this season their all and we have a very exciting season ahead of us 😁

lopsilceci

On the Ice
Country
Mexico
Aliona sounds very aware of the issues she had this weekend and what to do to fix them. i think she will be fine.

Seems like Aliona herself asked to have the FS step sequence during the slow part of the music...
Noo, girl, that could have been such a moment with the faster section of the music.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
If Aliona doesn’t seem to have stabilized any more of her elements at the next competition, then maybe yes… but compare this weekend’s Aliona to last year’s and the difference is already significant.
I'm not too worried for Alena. Her SP, even without a 3A, was very strong and I think she has the most potential of any skater in the world to rack up GOE on her jumps through the 3Lz. She earned more GOE on her SP 2A than Liza did on her SP 3A, and when the judges come to their senses she'll be back to getting the best PCS in the world. If her 3A is solid by Nationals, I can't see her being left off the Olympic team.

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I'm not too worried for Alena. Her SP, even without a 3A, was very strong and I think she has the most potential of any skater in the world to rack up GOE on her jumps through the 3Lz. She earned more GOE on her SP 2A than Liza did on her SP 3A, and when the judges come to their senses she'll be back to getting the best PCS in the world. If her 3A is solid by Nationals, I can't see her being left off the Olympic team.
Yeah, and it wasn’t just her PCS that was low here, her GOE was too. Judges giving Kamila a -5 on her 3A with a fall also giving Aliona -5 on her 3A with a step out is pretty ridiculous, especially because Aliona has a more difficult entry. There’s also the judge that gave Liza a PCS score like 5 points higher than Kamila and Aliona, who they scored almost exactly the same. Clearly a lot of issues with the judging, which I anticipate is just because this is really the first competitive Challenger event of the season.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
About who will go to the Olympics.

There is also the European Championship between RusNats and the Olympics.

The first 3 places at the RusNats will go to Euro. If someone performs unsuccessfully at the European Championship, RusFED can replace the participant with the one who took fourth place at RusNats.

I would not draw conclusions from just one competition.
Is this set in stone? If so I like it. Let's the skaters try and change things during the atumn competitions. Finding out their optimal performance choices for a medal at nationals.

PavelSky

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Tuk-tah-MEH-sheh-vah (accent on the third syllable.) ? Really?

So Tuke-tah-MOOSH-yeva is not correct? (I'm trying to learn Russian so bear with me!!!)
Only Liza can say rightly or not.

Let's hear how she pronounces herself :)

irriya

On the Ice
I think any of these girls would have to be able to get a spot in GPF, or it's going to be really hard to compete for an Olympics spot. If Kostornaia is not able to qualify GPF, I would say it might be end of game unfortunately at this point...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Tuk-tah-MEH-sheh-vah (accent on the third syllable.) ? Really?

So Tuke-tah-MOOSH-yeva is not correct? (I'm trying to learn Russian so bear with me!!!)
You are running against letter/sound Ы in her name. Try searching the net, there are tutorials on how to say it. I just tested it on my child, and she veers into i and a bit of u. So the instruction of saying ‘boot’ with a forced smile kinda gets you there, but not all the way. The best she could do was after ‘v’ in BЫ…