Yet another boot question | Golden Skate

Yet another boot question

enouement

Spectator
Hi all. I’ve been a long time lurker and have seen some really good advice on boots being given here. I’ve been having heaps of problems so I thought I would give it a go.

I’m an adult skater (57kg 168cm) working on doubles and like everyone else I’ve been in ice flys for the past five years. I initially wanted concertos but my boyfriend surprised me with an upgrade which I was really upset about because I figured they would be too high for my level at the time (while also not wanting to be ungrateful!). But they were completely fine - the edea no break in dream apart from a little bit of pinching in my right little toe because I think my feet are a little wide at the front and I had gone half a size smaller than recommended because I preferred a tighter fit.

Fast forward to last year when my old skates broke down so I got a new pair. Having had no problems I got another pair of ice flys except I went with the recommended half size up. It has been excruciating. I have sharp pain (no radiation) on the inside bony bit of my foot (medial malleolus) which after months has resolved on the right but has started on the left and doesn’t seem to be going away. I suspect part of it is breaking them in but it’s so painful that I don’t know if I can do that.

My coach swapped skates w me today and instantly felt the same pain. She also thinks they are extremely stiff and unlikely to get to a point that I can use them. I tried her Jackson’s on and they were an instant relief.

Can anyone recommend what I should do in this situation? I had previously skated in RF3s before this but didn’t love the risport fit.

I wondered about Jackson’s because I’d heard they were for wider fit but having never tried them before would love a recommendation as to if they would work for my foot (within the limits of the Internet)/ what model I should go for? Unfortunately the higher level of Jackson’s are order in only in my country (Australia) so it’s hard to try things on to see.

Alternatively should I press on with my ice flys / will it get better like it did on my right? I’m just very conscious as an adult about causing injury.

Thanks so much in advance.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi all. I’ve been a long time lurker and have seen some really good advice on boots being given here. I’ve been having heaps of problems so I thought I would give it a go.

I’m an adult skater (57kg 168cm) working on doubles and like everyone else I’ve been in ice flys for the past five years. I initially wanted concertos but my boyfriend surprised me with an upgrade which I was really upset about because I figured they would be too high for my level at the time (while also not wanting to be ungrateful!). But they were completely fine - the edea no break in dream apart from a little bit of pinching in my right little toe because I think my feet are a little wide at the front and I had gone half a size smaller than recommended because I preferred a tighter fit.

Fast forward to last year when my old skates broke down so I got a new pair. Having had no problems I got another pair of ice flys except I went with the recommended half size up. It has been excruciating. I have sharp pain (no radiation) on the inside bony bit of my foot (medial malleolus) which after months has resolved on the right but has started on the left and doesn’t seem to be going away. I suspect part of it is breaking them in but it’s so painful that I don’t know if I can do that.

My coach swapped skates w me today and instantly felt the same pain. She also thinks they are extremely stiff and unlikely to get to a point that I can use them. I tried her Jackson’s on and they were an instant relief.

Can anyone recommend what I should do in this situation? I had previously skated in RF3s before this but didn’t love the risport fit.

I wondered about Jackson’s because I’d heard they were for wider fit but having never tried them before would love a recommendation as to if they would work for my foot (within the limits of the Internet)/ what model I should go for? Unfortunately the higher level of Jackson’s are order in only in my country (Australia) so it’s hard to try things on to see.

Alternatively should I press on with my ice flys / will it get better like it did on my right? I’m just very conscious as an adult about causing injury.

Thanks so much in advance.
Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear you are having such issues. Get rid of those edea's they are not good for your foot at this point.

If the Jackson was a relief, perhaps get a fitting with that brand...Elite 5300 could work for you, rated for doubles with a 75 stiffness rating, or the Elite 5200.

You might also want to look into Riedell. Aria 2010 or Silver Star. I'm not sure if they stock those in Australia though.

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Have been in the same position. Skated in my Pianos for a year in pain.

Pain does not go away.

enouement

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear you are having such issues. Get rid of those edea's they are not good for your foot at this point.

If the Jackson was a relief, perhaps get a fitting with that brand...Elite 5300 could work for you, rated for doubles with a 75 stiffness rating, or the Elite 5200.

You might also want to look into Riedell. Aria 2010 or Silver Star. I'm not sure if they stock those in Australia though.
Amazing - I was hoping you would reply. :) I might try the Jackson - i don’t know anyone else on the riedell to try off them. Are those models approximately equivalent to the old premieres or elites? I had noticed one of the suppliers were having a sale on the older models or would you recommend going with the newer ones? Thanks so much for your help.

enouement

Spectator
Have been in the same position. Skated in my Pianos for a year in pain.

Pain does not go away.
It’s so awful - and I’m so confused because my old ones were completely fine and the only difference is that these ones are half a size up?

What did you end up doing?

Elija

On the Ice
It’s so awful - and I’m so confused because my old ones were completely fine and the only difference is that these ones are half a size up?

Is it possible that the size bigger is causing your bone to push on a different part of the boot? Have you tried having them punched out in that spot? I had pain in my navicular bone and had that spot punched - instant fix. If the size of your old skates was right in length, that is probably also the better size, and you can always have the toes stretched if they are too tight in the sides.

I have never worn Jacksons so don’t want to say anything about those and whether they’d work, and you’ve already gotten advice about those, but just wanted to add what worked for me with my edeas (which fit perfect now).

enouement

Spectator
Is it possible that the size bigger is causing your bone to push on a different part of the boot? Have you tried having them punched out in that spot? I had pain in my navicular bone and had that spot punched - instant fix. If the size of your old skates was right in length, that is probably also the better size, and you can always have the toes stretched if they are too tight in the sides.

I have never worn Jacksons so don’t want to say anything about those and whether they’d work, and you’ve already gotten advice about those, but just wanted to add what worked for me with my edeas (which fit perfect now).
I wondered about that! But the skate tech said that it wasn’t possible to punch out because it was so far up the ?neck of the boot… It probably is a sizing problem (though they consistently size me for the current boot size I’m in) but I’m just so reluctant to go through this again. Good to hear that yours worked out though!!!

Elija

On the Ice
I wondered about that! But the skate tech said that it wasn’t possible to punch out because it was so far up the ?neck of the boot… It probably is a sizing problem (though they consistently size me for the current boot size I’m in) but I’m just so reluctant to go through this again. Good to hear that yours worked out though!!!
Ahh ok, yeah mine was further down, near the top lace hole. Good luck, hope you find something that works!

gliese

Final Flight
Country
United-States

I'm convinced Edeas have changed a bit recently. A lot of people who were fine are not fine in them now. Not sure what the change was but I know so many people in pain just from getting new skates when previous ones worked perfectly.

Girlbird

On the Ice

A half size up is probably causing pressure points because the “arch area” (I say arch area because Edeas have none) will be different. It’s a significant change.

enouement

Spectator
An update! I wandered into my local shop to get measured for Jackson and they happened to have a pair of elite 5300 in store which is a rarity because they never stock the upper level boots. They were my size so I got them and sold on my edeas and I’m not skating in pain anymore. Thanks everyone.