2021 Skate Canada (Ice Dance) Thoughts and Comments? | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada (Ice Dance) Thoughts and Comments?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm thrilled for Smart/Diaz on their first GP medal, but was really rooting for a Fear/Gibson. I really want to see them at the Final.

"Our competition here is not what we wanted to do, but we felt strong and connected in the free dance,” said Gibson. “We had a costly error at the end.”

What are your thoughts on the Ice Dance event?

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm thrilled for Smart/Diaz on their first GP medal
Me too! I love both their programs this season, the free dance suits them perfectly and they sell it really well. They looked so happy with their medal (and eventually got the correct colour one :laugh: anyone who hasn't seen them medal ceremony mishap with silver and bronze go here. I loved this moment with the 3 teams, with Piper and Paul re-awarding the correct colour medals to G/F and S/D. )

I'm so happy that Charlene and Marco kept their FD, it's perfect for them and they are also so emotionally invested in it that they carry me along. The RD is growing on me, although I still think MJ was an odd choice for them, they're committed to the theme and that straight line lift is great. I felt they were lowballed in the scores across both programs (especially in the SS mark and in the GOE on some elements - how did their spin only get +1.88?), and their tech marks were surprising low (they seemed surprised too, judging by the comments in the press conference). I imagine Barbara will be drilling them hard on the tech before their next event. Overall, they were probably always going to get silver here, so the placement ended correctly but don't think they should've been as far as 10 points behind 1st.

Green and Parsons have got themselves a new fan with their FD! It's the first time I've seen it and I was really impressed. So different from all the other dances, and the way they stay with the modern movement throughout is great. The whole program felt cohesive, with the elements woven in cleverly, so you didn't know what was coming next. A great, and well deserved 4th place for them. I look forward to seeing them again throughout the season.

I enjoyed Piper and Paul's RD, and it's clear they've worked on it since Autumn Classic. Good to see them getting great levels as well and I love the backflip transition into the step sequence. I'm still not sold on the FD though (sorry G/P fans, I'll run away quickly :slink:). To me, it's pretty and quite well skated, but not overly memorable. I like the combo lift (although they were rather generously scored on it, considering the slight scramble to get into position) and I really like the one foot step, it fits really well with the music. They seemed a bit nervous here, but hopefully their win will help them feel more confident in their next GP outing.

Unfortunately, I'm not sold on Fear/Gibson's FD either, and their slip in placements rather proved that, while the twizzle errors didn't help, they also can't afford mistakes on their choreo elements as it's the massive GOE from them that partially props up their ranking.

calica

Final Flight
Me too! I love both their programs this season, the free dance suits them perfectly and they sell it really well. They looked so happy with their medal (and eventually got the correct colour one :laugh: anyone who hasn't seen them medal ceremony mishap with silver and bronze go here. I loved this moment with the 3 teams, with Piper and Paul re-awarding the correct colour medals to G/F and S/D. )
Thank for the vid! I hadn't been able to see it
I am so happy for their medal

Wilhelmina

On the Ice
Thrilled for Smart/Diaz, their FD is my favorite so far this season. Also really enjoyed Green/Parsons' FD, it's like nothing else, and am happy they did so well.