2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2021–22 Canadian Figure Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
Is there a live Audience at the Canada Challenge? I would love to read reports.

Balloon

On the Ice
Is there a live Audience at the Canada Challenge? I would love to read reports.
Yes there is an audience in the main arena. The smaller rinks have no inside benches, so they are watching through glass windows

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Watched The Skating Lesson on YouTube and David was quite taken with Maddie. He suggested that she could even beat the USA ladies in the Olympic Team event depending on who they choose to skate for the USA. I really think her GOE should have been higher on most of her jumps especially here 3Loop.
Also for those who know better - how can she get lower levels on all her spins in the free when to me that looked to be the same as she did in the short?
Maddie is landing a well rotated 3Lz-3T which lets be honest, puts her above virtually all of the american ladies at this point!

She’s definitely suffering from the unknown/inexperienced GOE/PCS deflation at the minute which is frustration, but hopefully the more she skates cleanly (especially in the SP) and gains some consistency reputation I hope we’ll see a deserved rise in her GOE and PCS!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Clearly, as we can see, Dylan did not want to continue his skating career to the 2021 Olympics anyway, while Kirsten wanted a longer career.
It wasn't a case of Dylan not wanting to continue his skating career; he suffered an extremely serious injury through a non-skating-related accident shortly before 2018 nationals. It was not widely publicized, but Dylan's girl friend (off-ice partner) talked about it a few years after it happened. She was in an airport, talking to him on the phone, when a multi-hundred-pound glass door fell on him. She got on her plane (to go home) not knowing if he was/would be alive when she arrived.

The injury effectively prevented I/M from qualifying for the Olympics and ended his career.

The good news is that he recovered and is now scheduled to skate in shows with Meghan Duhamel. This includes some upcoming holiday/charity shows in the US and the Canadian tour of Stars on Ice.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It wasn't a case of Dylan not wanting to continue his skating career; he suffered an extremely serious injury through a non-skating-related accident shortly before 2018 nationals. It was not widely publicized, but Dylan's girl friend (off-ice partner) talked about it a few years after it happened. She was in an airport, talking to him on the phone, when a multi-hundred-pound glass door fell on him. She got on her plane (to go home) not knowing if he was/would be alive when she arrived.

The injury effectively prevented I/M from qualifying for the Olympics and ended his career.

The good news is that he recovered and is now scheduled to skate in shows with Meghan Duhamel. This includes some upcoming holiday/charity shows in the US and the Canadian tour of Stars on Ice.
But I believe Dylan was planning to retire after 2018 anyways. Did he say he wanting to continue other than the accident? Even before Dylan's injury, I remember part of the reason reported for Kirsten to have found a new partner was her wanting to compete longer than him.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
2022 Skate Can. Challenge - SP Results :)
It seems like Stephen and Joseph are still working to get all their jumps back.

Yes. I just finished watching it. Nam Nguyen finished in tenth place!! 😳; In my opinion, he is done. This is his last year of skating and you can tell he has checked out mentally. No point in wasting a spot on him. When Keegan placed in the top ten at Worlds, he mentioned to the cameras that “Nam, we did it”. I thought this would spur him on. But, he must be dealing with too many personal issues. Which, is a shame. Stephen did okay here… but, he fell on his quad. He was the best of all the men who just fell and fell. Not one clean performance that I remember. I think it will be worst in the free skate. If they can’t handle three jumps, I can’t imagine them attempting seven jumping elements. I’m rooting for Joseph Phan to win this.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
But I believe Dylan was planning to retire after 2018 anyways. Did he say he wanting to continue other than the accident? Even before Dylan's injury, I remember part of the reason reported for Kirsten to have found a new partner was her wanting to compete longer than him.
Yes, that was known at the time. Dylan was 34 in 2018, already on the older side for a pair man.

Brooke & Ben looked solid in the junior pair short at Challenge, first time we've seen them this season. They're still making the elements (including the twist) work despite her height now. But I really hope she doesn't get taller.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Yes, that was known at the time. Dylan was 34 in 2018, already on the older side for a pair man.
I'm not sure what was actually known and what was just assumed. I have seen it reported (and I believe) that in 2014, Dylan was not willing/able to commit to 2022. People may have assumed he would retire in 2018, but I don't know that he actually said that. Heck, people assumed he would retire in 2014 when KMT found a new partner (after all, he was already 30, and partnerless), but he didn't.

I never saw any real information, like an interview or statement from Dylan himself, that he intended to retire in 2018, though I could have missed something.

Balloon

On the Ice
Glad to see Stephan back competing, I do hope Nam skates a good long program. Looking forward to the woman’s event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Joseph had a watered down content... no quads... a loop for his solo jump... wonder if he is coming back from some injury... which might be the case since we haven't heard of him in so long

ashleyming

On the Ice
Joseph had a watered down content... no quads... a loop for his solo jump... wonder if he is coming back from some injury... which might be the case since we haven't heard of him in so long
He looked uncomfortable in the SP, all the jumps just need to be back before the Nats

Last edited:

ashleyming

On the Ice
Yes. I just finished watching it. Nam Nguyen finished in tenth place!! 😳; In my opinion, he is done. This is his last year of skating and you can tell he has checked out mentally. No point in wasting a spot on him. When Keegan placed in the top ten at Worlds, he mentioned to the cameras that “Nam, we did it”. I thought this would spur him on. But, he must be dealing with too many personal issues. Which, is a shame. Stephen did okay here… but, he fell on his quad. He was the best of all the men who just fell and fell. Not one clean performance that I remember. I think it will be worst in the free skate. If they can’t handle three jumps, I can’t imagine them attempting seven jumping elements. I’m rooting for Joseph Phan to win this.
Well I guess Nam is really done with competing now, seriously! He just could not break any limit again after his peaking point at Skate Canada 2019.

mrrice

Record Breaker
So am I. It seems like he has struggled a bit lately but, I really thought he'd be Canada's next big thing.

ashleyming

On the Ice
So am I. It seems like he has struggled a bit lately but, I really thought he'd be Canada's next big thing.
That's why I'm now afraid of labelling skaters before they actually win something internationally... Since Patrick, everytime I start appreciating a lovely boy, his career will end up like a mess! 😑

rain

Record Breaker

I did know about Dylan's injury. It was actually fairy widely reported in 2018 when they skated (not particularly well) at Four Continents, as I recall.

But as SnowWhite said, I believe it was also fairly widely reported that he wanted to call it quits after 2018 anyway, and that was part of what led to the Dylan/Kirsten split. Either way, in my opinion, whether he was looking to retire earlier than she was or not, she was not obligated to skate with him for the rest of her life.

Thrilled to hear he'll be back and skating with Meghan. Glad they can both get back on the ice.