What rule changes would you like to see next season? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

What rule changes would you like to see next season?

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I know, it’s very labour-intensive, but I would have loved the elements of the step sequence in singles to be listed in final protocols, the same way they do those weird letters in ice dance. That would make the levels on step sequence a bit easier to understand.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Realistic or unrealistic? I'd like a bit more focus on the skating aspects, it's kind of meh to just have one step sequence and the rest having little to do with skating. Perhaps add a second step sequence. I also would like spin durations to be lower. They take up way too much time, sometimes over half a short program is spent spinning. Max 8 revolutions for a spin or something, and focus on interesting and difficult variations instead.

So in short, add a second step sequence or a different skating-related element, and make spins last a shorter duration.

Kathy1

On the Ice
In an ideal world, I would bring back the Original Dance, school figures, and the 6.0 judging system. However, since those are not realistic options, I believe the "Q" call for jumps must be eliminated as it adds even more confusion and unfairness to an already problematic scoring calculus.

sissyfritz

Rinkside
Country
United-Kingdom
With regards to the spirals, I don't know if adding in a full sequence is realistic these days (even though I personally miss them). However, I do think that if someone is going to attempt to hit a spiral shape on the ice, then there should be a minimum length of time with which they have to hold the position in order for it to count. It doesn't have to be forever, but at least a few seconds would show that the skater has real control over the element. They have minimum time requirements for lifts in ice dance, revolutions for spins, etc, so why not something similar for spirals?

I'm so tired of these overpacked programs where skaters randomly throw a leg in the air for half a second, then do it again four more times in the program for no good reason (choreography is supposed to serve a purpose.) Especially since I think that most of those skaters could probably achieve excellent positions in spirals, etc, if given half a chance.

Also, as a side note; someone earlier suggested that ice dance should require lifts to be different from one program to the other. I think this is a fabulous idea and I'd take it even farther and suggest that all creative position elements (spins, lifts, step sequences,) should be different in the short and free. Not sure how the skaters would take this, though.

lurkerghost1

On the Ice
get rid of the 5 components of PCS and just make it one score. The judges already judge that way so why pretend otherwise

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I may be a minority here but I miss a required spiral sequence (maybe just in one program?). I love the chreo sequence idea, but also want a real spiral from the ladies who can actually do them. and incentivize the women who can't to do it. choreo sequence in the short, spirals in the free?
I think the spiral sequence was eliminated in IJS because they couldn't figure out how to score it properly. All of the spirals ended up looking the same and there was an incentive to do a catch-foot instead of the more (IMO) attractive arabesque position. And each position had to be held for 3 seconds, which ended up taking up a lot of time as well as again, making all spiral sequences look the same. Maybe the spiral sequence could be brought back as an alternative (skater's choice) to the choreo sequence--?

Zora

On the Ice
Maybe the spiral sequence could be brought back as an alternative (skater's choice) to the choreo sequence--?
The choreo sequence is the biggest joke anyway. There are very, very, few examples of a good and memorable choreo sequence, and it's not even worth the effort, because all the top skaters get the same score for it anyway, even if they just use it as a filler somewhere in between. With the spiral sequence, they could judge the speed, the ice coverage, sometimes there were mistakes where a skater lost points. This element at least made some sense. I think it would be nice, if instead of the choreo sequence, there was a choice between a second step sequence and a spiral sequence, but those elements need to be judged properly.

labgoat

Updating rewatches...
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, @WeakAnkles I too have been very upset by the retreat to reputation judging and the valuing of speed over the ability to actually dance to both fast and slow rhythms. And yes, all choreographic elements are effectively 6.0 judging
It is a question of speed vs. neatness.
Best to worst - that's how I see it without a speed bonus unless pristine
1 speedy skating with pristine execution
2 speedy skating with sloppier execution
2 moderate speed with pristine execution
3 moderate speed with sloppier execution

Arbitrary

Medalist
1. Allow any jumps anywhere for seniors.
2. GOE back to +/- 3 from 5.
3. Prepare CoP BVs for quints.
4. Allow skates with passive mechanics, like in the speed skating.
5. Fall on the back = 0 points.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe the spiral sequence could be brought back as an alternative (skater's choice) to the choreo sequence--?
There's nothing stopping a skater from doing spirals as a choreo sequence (as several do), so that's not an alternative.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There's nothing stopping a skater from doing spirals as a choreo sequence (as several do), so that's not an alternative.
True, so maybe it shouldn't be an alternative. Substitute a spiral sequence for the choreo sequence--at least two positions (change of edge counting as two), without levels or hold requirements.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
True, so maybe it shouldn't be an alternative. Substitute a spiral sequence for the choreo sequence--at least two positions (change of edge counting as two), without levels or hold requirements.
God no, mandatory spiral sequences were a massive drag most of the time — and I don’t see any reason why women should have a different set of required elements than men.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
God no, mandatory spiral sequences were a massive drag most of the time — and I don’t see any reason why women should have a different set of required elements than men.
This. Spirals are fine now and then, but if all 30 competitors will spend 10 seconds of each program in a static arrested motion slide… have mercy on coffee plantations world-wide! They are already struggling with the growing demands. it will be worse than blues steps in rhythm dance this season. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. The. Same. Year after year…. Ouch.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
This. Spirals are fine now and then, but if all 30 competitors will spend 10 seconds of each program in a static arrested motion slide… have mercy on coffee plantations world-wide! They are already struggling with the growing demands. it will be worse than blues steps in rhythm dance this season. Every. Single. One. Of. Them. The. Same. Year after year…. Ouch.
I agree completely.

For me, the major issue I have with the scoring system is that "originality" is not really rewarded. I don't blame the skaters nor do I blame the coaches.
Because competition is ultimately about winning (or doing the best you can), no matter how much fans and purists protest.

I remember during the 2018 Olympics, NBC did a story on 1988's "Battle of the Brians" and "Battle of the Carmens".
For both the Men and the Women, their programs were distinctly different - not just in the styles, but also in their elements and where they were placed in the programs.

One of the reasons I liked Alina's DQ so much, was that it was unique in its construction. And I like seeing 3A's and quads in Women's programs is because at least these programs aren't the same as the usual 7 triple with a 3-3 combo. Of course, it's a delicate balance. I certainly don't want to see "splatfest" competitions where the skater who fell the least amount of times wins. I'll excuse 2021 Worlds because the pandemic wreaked havoc with the entire season anyways.

Just my 2 cents....

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It wouldn't have to be 10 seconds. How long are the pointless choreo sequence, by the way?