Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 1:

What a miracle - a small, fluffy, beautiful miracle! The name of?

Michelle. Michelle's girl.

Also a girl? Little at all.

I don’t know how big she will grow, but now she still small .

Where is she from?

Sasha Trusova gave she to me. She got such a dog, I jokingly told her: “Give me this dog, why do you need it? You already have five or six dogs. " So, one day she came with a bag for carrying pets, put it on the ice and said: "Here is a dog for you." At first I thought that she gave me hers to play with, and then it turned out that this is now my dog. And I realized that you can't joke with Sasha.

And how does it feel?

Well, I adore her.

That is, she (Sasha) really guessed that a living creature can always be there, you need. This is how family friendship begins ...

Dogs! Friendship with dogs.

Is it easier with dogs than with people, to be honest?

A dog cannot be overly loved. Well, that is, you can caress her a lot, love her a lot, and this will not make it worse. And with an athlete you need to behave more carefully.

Therefore, there are legends about you that you are some kind, I don’t know ...

Well, which one?

Sharp, straight.

Strict. I prefer to tell my athletes the truth. Because they will hear flattery from others. But the truth, what is real, they will hear from me.

(Show training)

Eteri: nothing! You don't even try. You just made an unhappy face - that's all. You are in the form of an unhappy girl. Ok, but it just doesn't work here, unfortunately.

(in a studio)

You can say that, in principle, the path that you have passed was difficult?

I think no one has easy ways, who can say: "Oh, I had such an easy way"

But did you succeed because your parents believed in you?

The first thing that made me angry, and why I wanted to be successful, was probably inherent in me already when I was 4 years old. Our relatives arrived from Georgia. And someone asked dad how many children he had. And he sits and says: "one son." I hit him on the shoulder from behind and say: "Dad, there are five of us." He pushes me back and repeats "One son." I then asked him: "Dad, why?" He replied: “My son has a surname Tutberidze, he will continue the family, and you are girls. It will not count. " So I always wanted to prove what I'm on counts.

I saw how in one interview you said (and literally tears came through me): “What a pity that dad did not see this triumph in Sochi” ...

Well, yes, yes ... He was very empathic. He came with me to the skating rink and so, in Georgian, he gave instructions to everyone - who to sit on their knees, who needs to work. But he believed in me, he still believed in me.

The story with your mother, who ... She saw the Olympics in Sochi, she saw, she was able to enjoy. Moreover, one could see from it how she glows. She was interviewed about her daughter's success ...

I think she just glowed. Well, really ...

When she talked about you, love was always visible just incredible ...

Yes, she empathized, she even kept a diary in which she counted the number of medals, and at the end of the year she showed me how many awards there were last year, how many this year, what medals they were, what level. Mom was very fond of figure skating.

Was your mother strict with you when you were five years old and she brought you to the rink?

Yes, she just knew that I shouldn't stand for a single second. And I was afraid to stop, I just couldn't stop. While doing some exercise or movement, I was already thinking about performing the next element so as not to stop.

So that mom does not scold?

Yes, so that my mother does not scold.

And yet you love her with all your soul?

Oh sure.

That is, it’s important that it doesn’t affect ...

Well, she did it for me, for me, and not for herself.

And now, from the height of your own coaching experience, do you understand what you did wrong when you skated?

Of course, of course. I, too, somewhere, of course [made mistakes]. For example, when warming up, exercising, instead of running, we hid in the bushes, waited these 15 minutes and returned. If my mother knew about this, of course, she would scold me for it.

(show training)

Eteri: Well, now the enters from the transitions ...

Dudakov: to the music!

Eteri: to the music, yes.

Dudakov: Time! You also need to skate a short program.

Eteri: we can to do it yet!

Eteri: take paint, draw! (pause) Use your eyes like a saw!

(in a studio)

I look at you now and think – you shine too. You are a kind person, I can see it, no matter how you hide it.

Come on!..

Yes! Honestly - when I look at you, I think so. And when I read about you - about some kind of harshness, cruelty, that this is so unapproachable, and I have a feeling that you have deliberately created this image around you.

First, it's easier this way. But if we talk about rigor and rigidity, these qualities are really present in training, because I feel endless resentment if I understand that an athlete could do this training much better, or he cannot pull himself together. And I have to tease her, get her to turn on. Well, if I do not force, then this athlete will not have a medal and joy from the fact that she stood on the pedestal and will hear the anthem in her honor. Will not be! This means that I will have to invest my strength and energy. Okay, yeah, the other athlete won't love me.

Has it ever happened that you are telling the truth, but the person is offended?

They take offense and leave. There are a lot of these examples. Of course, they are offended. Difficult age…

Lately I see them coming back ...

I myself remember very well that the coach didn’t tell me anything bad in adolescence, but everything caused a lump in my throat. It seemed to me that I was not understood, underestimated. This is fine. These are hormones. There should be complete trust, which will lead to the goal.

(show training)

Eteri: pull your knee! Knee! Ta-da-ta-da, pa-ba-pa-ba - and she ran!

Eteri: That is, you did this first (shows) and from here - again! - and drove off. I don’t know, you’ve been standing here for too long.

Eteri: take your leg to the side! One, two, three, four - be careful! Watch out, you shouldn't have this, or you have eight here.

(in a studio)

Let's say the departure of Sasha Trusova. She quite sincerely said that she needed to change the picture. Whether it was right or not, I felt that we were scenery for Sasha.

People always think that somewhere could be better.

Well, first of all, it always seems to us that somewhere out there the grass is greener, the sky is bluer and in general everything is better, because it always seems that way.

And you do not deny the right to return to anyone?

Listen, no, actually it’s a mistake ... Once upon a time there Polina Shelepen ran away from the training camp because I took the cutlets from her at lunch. She would come back - and she would become the world champion, if not in 2014, but in 2015. Well, she would - where would she go? Well, it's simple: if an athlete walks back, it means that he has realized something in any case. I'm not forcing because I like it. And because sometimes ... well, athletes are different. Someone needs to be forced, to my regret. Unfortunately, because it is energy consuming. I also want to go to the skating rink and enjoy the process, not force it.

(show training)

Eteri: Speed up! Farther! Hand ... Next! Don't slouch! One, two, three - bam!

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 2:

(in a studio)

Girls returning to you from various other places - where do they start? Are they asking you for forgiveness? I'm just curious.

Not! In general, I do not like such things. Why is this - to ask for forgiveness? Well, why? This is humiliating. After all, we all want to maintain our sense of self-sufficiency. Sometimes we don't even ask for forgiveness in front of our parents.

Does the existence of competitors luring your athletes invigorate you?

All this is there, but what about it [to think]

I don't know, but there is Plushenko, hypothetically speaking ...

Does he exist?

I do not know!

And me too.

I am theoretically. I'm talking about the hypothetical Plushenko, who hypothetically invites hypothetical athletes to his place, and they hypothetically agree to go to him. This fact itself helps you to stay on the cutting edge of this struggle and, perhaps, find internal reserves in order to progress, evolve, move on?

Well, no, I don't have any hypothetical Plushenko. I just understand that this hypothetical coach has nothing to do with it. Look: if our athletes are good, they will be welcome everywhere. If they are bad, then nobody needs them. And we strive to ensure that they are strong and desirable.

That is, if they want to [entice], do they need it?

Certainly. It already depends on the athlete himself, again on trust and understanding. And if he is no longer there, if he reacted to the fact that they called him or wrote, or somehow called him, I do not know how it works ... Honestly, I never, although I sometimes really wanted to, I never invited anyone. Although sometimes I look at some athlete and think: "I could give him so much more." I just feel like I can, but no. I do not step over this line, because if I call, I will be obliged already. In this case, I will destroy what this athlete had there, and therefore I will be obliged to achieve with this athlete a higher result than what he already had.

But it is so comfortable to take and invite already trained skaters. I don’t know, would you invite, for example, Liza Tuktamysheva?

At one time (it was a very long time ago) I wondered why she didn’t jump quads. I saw that these jumps are there. No, I would not invite her. Not because I am not interested in it, but simply because there is ethics. Coaching ethics.

And I think that now athletes are sitting in front of TV screens (and I even know some of them) who would like you to call and think: "Why is this not happening?" Now we have found out why.

No no. I had it once, a very long time ago, even before ... Maksim Kovtun appeared and was recognized. He skated in Yekaterinburg, I came to competitions and saw this guy [skating]. I don't know why he came alone, without a coach. I really liked the way he trains and I thought: "If only he came to us." But we do not have such a thing [to take everyone at once]. You see, this is Yekaterinburg, which means that he would have to provide an apartment in Moscow and everything else ...

Now Maxim heard that it turns out that once upon a time he had a chance ...

Once upon a time I looked at him and thought: "Well, he is aimed, he understood why he came to the ice ..."

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 3:

Having stopped skating, you left the country overseas ...

Well, let's do it this way: I actually left the Soviet Union. It was a completely different period. At that time everyone wanted to left. And I didn't leave [forever]. I wanted to be in a ice show. Basically, these shows were only in the USA, in my opinion, and I could to get money for this. But it didn't work out. And I didn't want to come back as a loser. That is, I thought - no, no, I went to earn money, bring this money to my parents, and not just come back without anything, just like a beggar.

Did your parents know you ate sandwiches there in Baptist churches?

No, of course not. Why, why upset them? I understand that my mother will be worried.

That is, the parents found out about it later, like everyone else?

Well, they probably didn't even know all the details. I have always tried to answer all questions about how I am doing, "everything is fine." Because if it's bad, then you have to come back, mom will worry - why?

And when the terrorist attack took place, it was impossible not to know that it was the same city, the same place, and moreover suffered there ...

We were in front of that building.

But it was not just a terrorist attack, but the largest terrorist attack in the history of the United States before September 11, 2001.

At that time, yes.

Did you contact your parents later? To say that you are alive?

Not right away, not right away. All the media already reported, they showed it on TV, and when I got through, my mother was already crying.

(show a fragment of a conversation with Tutberidze's mother)

Tutberidze Sr.: I already thought that everything - she will die. We saw it on TV, and there they said that the Russian ballet on ice also suffered. You know, I just couldn't find a place for myself. I was so scared, I was running around the apartment, crying. She called and said: "Mom, I'm fine." But everything was not all right with her. You know, her whole body was covered in shards of glass

(in a studio)

And then it worked out in the USA, yes, you stayed there.

Well, what do you mean stayed? I just decided that it couldn't be that way, that nothing worked out and that was it - should I go back? Therefore, yes, I began to deal with documents in order to get a green card, work and earn money, to enter American life.

But?

But the whole family is there. I just realized that I have no peace of mind. If this is my life, then it is not what it should be. Something is missing, I don't know what exactly. Maybe there are not enough parents nearby or something else. It’s not that life doesn’t begin.

And returned?

I decided to try to return. It was already a different country, with a different anthem ... But no, I came from time to time, I understood everything, but the people still remained the same. For example, when I went to some legal office, I needed to copy something on a photocopier, and a woman quickly explained everything to me how this is done in our language. It shocked me a little then, because I lost the habit of this, but nothing.

Shocked by the directness?

Yes, with the directness when I was sent ... to make a photocopy.

*Note - in this case, Eteri hints that she was rudely scolded. A very toned down version of what she heard - go to hell

Yes, but nothing, then I thought so - since the last six months I started to wander here and there, that is, both the United States and Russia, and I come here, but here I have no work, why should I be here when I work there. And again I was leaving. So I rushed back and forth. And in the USA I was embarrassed in front of my athletes, because I threw them every now and then, threw my partner. They were upset, offended ... In general, I decided that I should try to live in Russia. To get a job, even if I am sent to "photocopy" further and further, and only when my patience is exhausted, when I understand that this is all, then I will go to live in the USA and there, realizing that nothing can be better be, I will begin to enjoy the destiny that I can have there. Somehow I decided for myself that I should do just that. Well, and again - one failure after another, I just couldn't get a job. Nobody took me, and then somehow ...

And who offered this inflatable skating rink in Brateevo? Where did it come from?

(Laughs) Honestly, at first I traveled around everyone, called everyone I knew and did not know, visited the places where I skated, talked with those with whom I skated, with whom I trained - I was everywhere. I just don't even want to mention anyone, so as not to offend, but everyone refused me. Moreover, they said that there was no need to hope that in a year or two something would change. I said that I would work for free, that I do not need a salary, I just want to be a coach, I want to go out on the ice and work. I was told - "no, no, thank you."

I can imagine how all these people then bit their elbows - they missed such a coach.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 4:

(show training)

Eteri: Look, the second time you went more joyful, and the third time you go even more joyful ... Come on, why don't you pick up speed? What it is? Well, there, there, to the judges. No, not in this direction - they are not here ... And push, push ... Free skating ... Well, don't turn into a tree ... Well, this is a disgrace, just a disgrace.

(in a studio)

Here, in Moscow, I found the Yellow Pages directory, opened and started leafing through everything related to ice - Circus on Ice ...

That is, just ads?

Yes, the information about where to call, and in the end called the circus on ice, they had an inflatable playground in Brateevo, and they said on the phone: “Yes, come, we will take you”. I say: "How, is it that simple?" It was the end of 1999. Then I realized that I had to somehow try to get out of this site, and continued to look for work. Then I got a job in Zelenograd. That is, simultaneously with the inflatable skating rink, I led a health group in Zelenograd three times a week for 45 minutes.

Brateevo - Zelenograd ...

Yes, bus number 400, from the river station.

Yes, you had a great desire to work in Russia!

Well, listen, you just have to take it for granted. Well, what's here - well, not satisfied, go back (to the USA), why complain.

(advertising blah blah blah in honor of a wonderful TV show)

I look at you and understand that I have the happiest memories in my life with you. It is said loudly, but it is true. Do you believe? Because February 2014, Sochi - it really is, without exaggeration - then I decided there that it was the happiest month of my life. And since then, little has changed, I mentally go back there every time and understand that there was some kind of concentration of emotions, which I have not been able to repeat so far.

The concentration of emotions was, that's for sure ...

Everyone was running after you, after Yulia Lipnitskaya, trying to find out where she was training.

Yes, yes, somewhere in the dressing room a camera was installed, somewhere on the ice.

Yes, it was incredible. On the one hand, I understand how it annoyed you then ...

No, at that moment I was very worried that this would completely destroy Yulia's concentration - and this, unfortunately, happened. That is, having gone from the team championship to individual competitions, she turned into a different athlete. She was not focused, if you go back on schedule for the six minute warm-up before the short program, [it will be visible]. Even then, on the ice, I realized that she would not be able to skate [at the required level]. She did not warm up, she moved along the side, ran her finger along it and looked into the eyes of each of the judges. This, of course, was surprising. Because it's still a little girl, 15 years old. I have to give it credit, bow to her mom. It was she who led Julia to the medal. I really hope that when Yulia is older, she realizes this and will thank her mother.

Do you think this has not happened yet?

I do not know. I just want some awareness to come, like Zhenya (Medvedeva) came to the realization that this is an Olympic medal - albeit a silver one, but still Olympic. Likewise, I want Yulia to realize that her mother gave her whole life and led her to this medal. She did not take care of herself, she took care of her daughter. She practically refused her life. Not practically, she just refused. And she was doing this.

(show Lipnitskaya's performance)

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 5:

And how did your relationship develop during the Sochi Olympics with your colleagues - other coaches? How did they receive you?

And what to perceive here? Here, just a very good effect was given by the fact that everyone thinks about me that I am angry - and no one communicates with me. Therefore, I do not need to communicate with anyone.

It's comfortable?

Very.

You have already had two Olympics, and, of course, not only joys are remembered, there were also dramas.

If you remember Sochi, the individual competitions, to be honest, very darkened the impression. If you remember the 2018 Olympics ...

In Pyeongchang

Yes, then of course, first of all, the condition of my mother. I didn’t understand at all whether she would still be alive when I returned. Well, Zhenya's immediate reaction to the medal - this also greatly overshadowed my impressions ...

Did you keep in touch with your mother then, or did you not understand at all what was happening?

Diagnosis - glioblastoma. At that time, she no longer possessed speech. And Diana at that time lived in a comprehensive school. They somehow arranged a room for her, so that there was a bed, something else. She called me, of course, cried, because that's all ...

But she was with her grandmother?

I left my mother at home, everything was fine, we talked, corresponded. Somehow everything happened very suddenly, and ... Diana returned from training, and I was already landing on a plane in Japan, where the training camp was taking place. My phone was on, Diana called me, and she said to me: “Mom, there’s something wrong with her.” I say, "call an ambulance." She tells me: "No, you call." I tell her that I am in Japan, I say: "call it yourself." In general, I called the skating rink, the directorate. I say: "help, call for emergency help, go yourself." At first I thought it was a stroke, but it turned out ... In general, in any case, my mother waited for me, and we even managed to extend her life by several months.

What place and time would you like to return to for a short while now? Find yourself in the proposed circumstances.

Well, of course, I think each of us would like to return to the moment when our parents are alive. To say to them ... thank you ... We do not know how to appreciate what we have, and we take everything for granted.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 6:

(show the rewarding of Kostornaya, Shcherbakova and Trusova)

That we have come to the conclusion that the pedestal is already all yours - the first, second and third places. We saw these pedestals, and then a question arises for me, as a non-specialist, an absolutely banal life question: it is clear that a lot depends on the coach. You did not have such moments when before the competition you thought: who will perform how, who will be placed higher, who will be lower?

Not! I was even once interviewed before the Olympics and asked how, in my opinion, the prize places should be distributed. I said then (and I still think the same) - it is very important for me that each of these athletes show their maximum. In order not to regret and not think: “But I could have jumped better”, or “somewhere I lost concentration, or I didn’t have enough strength, maybe I didn’t train something enough”. So that they give their maximum, and then see what this maximum is worth. There was the 2018 Olympics, where there were two medals, for first and second places, and we stood - me, Sergey Viktorovich, Daniil Markovich, three of us, and I told them: “Guys, you just have to understand now that we have two athletes - and this is the first and second place, we just have to be grateful for this second, minute for the fact that this happened. " We got the most of what we were aiming for.

Who is your main competitor now? Are you looking at someone?

I don't like to look at anyone at all, because when I look, I like everyone. It immediately seems to me that everything is stronger than us, it upsets me, and therefore I do not look.

Seriously?

(Nods)

Because everyone in the world is looking at you.

I don’t look! Because, as I said, everything upsets me at once, everyone seems to be strong. One person has such good skating, another has something else, the third one has made such an excellent element ...

Do you feel like the most demanded coach?

No no. I perfectly understand - the higher we climb in terms of indicators and medals, the higher the demand from us, because people believe and wait. But I understand how fragile it is, everything is tremulous.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 7:

What is your usual daily routine?

I try not to get up earlier than 8:30. Then I really love the slow morning. That is, leave the house at 10: 45-11: 00.

And when does the first workout start?

That is, I'm going to work for after two and a half hours. I arrive at 12:00. Training starts at 11:45 am.

You have a large team, they manage without you for the first half hour.

The first half hour they warm up. Everything is thought out. One group, second group ...

And then?

Then a short break, during this time you need to have time to have lunch, then go out on the ice to those who are engaged in pair skating, then go down to the hall and again - one group, the second group. And that's it, go back to home and sleep. Well, around 9:00 PM I arrive home.

And when you go to bed?

I am undisciplined. I can't [go to bed on time]. Even when I'm tired, I think: “Now I'll do everything quickly and go to bed at 11” - but no, and then I look - it's already an hour, half past one ...

And to get up again at 8:30?

I really like to fall asleep on the couch in front of the TV. And now I understand that at about 3-4 o'clock I will have to get up, and it’s so hard to go [to the bedroom].

Do you believe in signs?

Oh, yes. Everything. So you better not tell me new ones.

But it happens that the signs contradict each other ...

Well, okay ... (to the dog) Why do you try to eat me today?

Come on, even the teeth are not so sharp.

Very sharp!

Sharp?

Much like staplers.

What makes you feel relaxed? What does the soul want?

Oddly enough, during the pandemic it so happened that Diana and I were in Miami. Quarantine began, we were kicked out of the hotel. I rented a house. There was such a beautiful view from the window to the canal. Nature, ducks, lizards - I was just resting. It was very bad that everything was closed around, it was scary, but on the other hand I could breathe in deeply and say - this is rest.

(next batch of ad blah blah blah)

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 8:

Do you feel that you are envied?

Well, it's okay - jealousy. I, too, sometimes, I look at a conditional other coach, and ... Yes, and at the Olympics it was - someone was given medals, and I think: "I wish I was the same." I think it's okay to be jealous.

Is it important for you to be a recognized master of your craft?

Well, I did not immediately become recognized, but for some time I remained unrecognized. I just looked at those whose athletes won, and thought: "I wish I could." Yes, I was jealous - “I wish my skaters skated like that, I wish I could bring several athletes to the competition like that.”

This is not envy, this is the pursuit of a goal. (continues her thought) - "but I wish I could get the whole pedestal"

“I wish they would not just come as participants, but come to compete for medals, that would be great”...

Is envy the engine of success?

Hmm. Well, probably, such ... It seems to me that it was envy, I was jealous.

Well, okay, then maybe we will forgive those who envy you. Maybe it will teach them something too.

But without anger! Nastiness, sheer nastiness pours out of them. I think they should think about their health. It seems to me that this will have a bad effect on health. Imagine how much bile they contain. Somehow it is necessary to find a reason why, for example, my girls jump. Probably because I beat them, I force them. The Gestapo is here.

How is this magic electroshock button?

It is a pity that this button is not present! Sometimes I want to have it.

Didn't you have the feeling that you often become closer to your girls than their mother?

I probably had it (no offense to other athletes) with Zhenya. That is, she needed me so much, I raised her, taught her how to apply makeup, dress, how to behave, how to react to some jokes. But at some point we had a conflict of "fathers and children" with her. Therefore, now I try not to bring anyone closer to me.

How did you come to terms with her transition?

I didn't have to come to terms with it. She left, I had no choice.

You behaved as diplomatically as possible. And one could finally say behind her back ...

Well, what will it give, why? And, frankly, I was not offended, she just had an interview in which she said that she begged us to leave the original program that was staged.

And you change it!

This is not true. She got off the ice in Bratislava and, putting on the covers on the skates, told me: "I will not perform this program anymore." I already phoned Daniil Gleichengauz from the plane and said: "Danya, you need to do anything, you need to draw up a new program." He said: "Are you crazy?" Well, we didn’t have time to test this program. Because instead of preparing for the season, Zhenya toured all Japanese shows in the summer. We went to the skates in a very weak state. Next is a weight game, because someone told Zhenya (and I even know who it was) that she looks anorexic and will have small components. Despite the fact that Zhenya already had tens. Zhenya began to intentionally gain weight, under-rotation began, then a bone fracture. Therefore, we did everything we could in difficult circumstances.

How do you teach girls to jump? How do you do it - after all, you haven't performed such jumps, but you know exactly what and how you need to do to get the desired result now.

It seems to me that the laws of biomechanics are simply working here, and I can see it. And then it all depends on how much the athlete is able to do it. Because it’s a split second.

At first glance, did you take someone to your school? So that you immediately saw and took her?

Well, probably Alina Zagitova. Just a weak girl came, but very flexible. Such a beautiful plum. Just a beautiful little plum. I don't know ... juicy. I took her, and then I kicked her out.

For what?

Because she started to get lazy. At that time, she lived in Moscow with her mother. I tried to explain to her mom. This is what I told her, that is, to teach the process - Alina does not work, you have to force her. But her mom didn't turn on. And I was worried because they moved from Izhevsk and rent an apartment here, spend some money to live in Moscow. So I decided to kick her out. Then her grandmother came and promised me that she would take care of Alina. But we had a condition that her mother would not live in Moscow under any circumstances and would not visit her until she received an Olympic medal. And her mother fulfilled this condition. And then her mom came. And Alina immediately became a little girl, a mother's daughter, who no longer wanted to spend 12 hours a day at the rink, since her mother was nearby.

And the medal is already there, so the agreement has been fulfilled.

There was already an Olympic medal, but there was no World Championship medal yet.

But was the treaty honored?

I promised, I told Alina: "before the Olympics." No offense, her grandmother led to the medal. Because she was with Alina all these 12 hours a day at the rink.

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 9:

Is it expensive to train with Eteri Tutberidze?

No, on the contrary, it seems to me that we are trying to support them financially. We pay for apartments as soon as some results appear. We sew costumes, help with boots, with inventory. Polina Tsurskaya, who came from Omsk - we solved her issues, Yulia Lipnitskaya - in the same way. As soon as at least some results appeared, we began to address her issues.

It is completely changing my attitude right now. In the minds of ordinary people - if such a star coach, then you need to prepare millions before leading your child.

Of course - I buy all my coats with the money that poor Alinochka earns on the show. She brings me this money, and I run to buy myself a new coat. Only for some reason I wore these coats even before they had any results.

And how can you overcome the desire to favor someone more, and someone less? All the same, there should be some favorites. Well, all the same people - even the iron lady Tutberidze is also a human.

And I'll be honest - I have only one favorite. This is my daughter. The rest - I give them the maximum that I can give. How much they take and what they do with it depends on them.

Are there times when you close your eyes in competition, or turn away?

Only with Diana and Gleb. I do not look, because I think that this connection exists, she may feel me ...

Do you forgive Diana on the ice for any [mistakes]?

No. When I come, we sometimes swear, I reprimand her for every wrong leg.

And how do you now solve the problem that she is now training far from you.

I worry, I miss. They send me a video, I start calling, it seems to me that something is incomplete. "Mom, I have a coach."

But her mom is also a coach, she understands that you are not just a mom.

Here I am trying to explain to her: "Diana, maybe I can do something useful for you." I have some kind of talent that I give to others and tell her: “why don’t you give it, listen to me”. She listens to me, but still “butts”, as it should be to butt with a parent.

How old is Diana here (shows photo)

I think the picture was taken when she was about five or six years old. I think so.

Such long legs, she is so elongated ...

I was sure that she would be taller than me. That is, if at the time of my youth I was 178 cm, then, as I assumed, it would grow to 180. That is, the [genetic] formulas would work correctly. She has such long legs, and I was sure that she would be very tall. (looks at another photo). She is 12 years old here ... I was sure that it is useless to learn jumping with her if she grows to 180. I just forced her to switch to ice dancing, she cried. There was a difficult moment when she was kneeling in front of me and said: "Mommy, why don't you believe in me?"

It's all about height ...

Well, I told her: "Diana, you will be tall" - "No, I will not be tall, I will be small." In general, the formula did not work, it turned out to be not 180, but, as written in her profile, 163 cm. Well, everything that God does, I am sure, is for the better.

Do you have a trusting relationship with your daughter?

Yes, I have a trusting relationship with her. She loves me, as it should be. I think she is proud of me and loves me. And I love her. Well, for me, of course, she, probably, without loud phrases - this is what I live for.

Do you remember the day when you were told that she might not hear anything?

I was not told so, no. There was just a problem. Well, of course we are all the same - we immediately start asking: “Lord, why? Why me, why her? " I think everyone is asking this. It must be somehow ... difficult topic. We all want our children to be healthy. And we are ready to take their diseases on ourselves, whatever - "Lord, give it to me, I will somehow live with it." You just need to ... My task was initially to adapt it to a normal life.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Is EG stirring the pot with this interview that did not need to happen to take the focus off her daughter and put it on her? There was absolutely no reason for this interview at this time and she's never done this before right before Nationals.
This interview was done before the sheduled GPF and was supposed to be aired during that. Because the GPF was cancelled, it was aired only now (with some added parts I think).

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 10:

Does dad somehow participate in her life, or is it all on you?

Now you have touched on a bad topic ...

I am without details ...

Yes, well, we don't have a dad. It happens. It seems to me that a woman gives birth to a child for herself. If a man for some reason refuses this story ... That's why I always say that Diana have me, and I have Diana.

And what about her relationship with Gleb?

In general, I was very worried at first when Diana said: “I want to go to the USA,” because, of course, she depended on me in many ways. I did a lot for her, creating comfort. I explained to them before that they should help each other, because no one will fly to you, and you only have yourself. Diana has Gleb, Gleb has Diana. You must help each other in everything. Diana is now 18 years old, and this is her story. I sometimes talk to her and say: "Diana, maybe you would be a light for many"

It would definitely be, that's for sure.

Yes, but she's not ready for it yet. To be honest, here, in Russia, she managed to face the cruelty of adolescents and adults. That’s why it’s probably so closed — it doesn’t want to discuss this topic at all. Unfortunately, our society is [imperfect]. We do not accept anyone who is not like us. Nobody guaranteed us, or there are people who speak maliciously - who guaranteed them that they would not have the same?

(on the rink)

What is the draw program? Just picking up random numbers?

Well, you type in how much is needed - and that's it. That's the whole draw. How else to decide which one is which?

(Girls tap on the smartphone screen, choosing numbers)

Kostornaya: Was the first one already?

Eteri: Yes.

Kostornaya: I have never chosen the first one.

Eteri: And what does that mean?

Kostornaya: Maybe a short program?

Eteri: Alyonushka, free skate.

(in a studio)

What was your most emotional moment last season? Anya's tears?

Championship of Russia, yes.

In front of everyone, everyone is watching, she is crying ...

The preparation was very difficult. The consequences of the coronavirus, Anya has no strength and I was scared for her. Well, of course, when she did it all, and did it so well ... Plus, Sasha is still performing her program cleanly ... I don't know if Kamila will be able to cleanly skate the program with us, so as to beat Sasha. And Kamila performs perfectly, ahead of Sasha. Anya comes out, who has no strength. To beat the clear Kamila means to perform a miracle - and she does it. These are emotions that constantly increased by a degree, increased, and these tears - probably it was all - like in a war - not to give an inch, to take everything for yourself.

Here's how it works ...

Yes.

(says the commentator)

Look - what she did! This is a historical moment in figure skating, and it doesn't matter what is happening at the moment.

Which of your colleagues can you call your rear?

Dudakov Sergey Viktorovich and Daniil Markovich Gleikhengauz. We work three.

How does it work with Tutberidze?

What does it mean to work with Tutberidze? I am greedy, I do not want to share my knowledge. Maybe when I retire, I’ll say: "Oh, faster, we need to distribute everything that I remember."

But honestly. I really understand what you are talking about.

Yes, I don’t want to share my knowledge yet.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
last part:

(in training)

Eteri: What upset me the most was the step sequence. And here you run like a dog, fuss, throw everything away. I understand that there is no time either, but you can still finish everything.

(looking at Trusova) These eyes, these eyes - I'm sure that when she was little, they said to her there: “Sasha, you have to eat porridge” - and she made such a face - and the porridge was removed. Okay, go, goodbye, I love you too, come on.

(in a studio)

Everyone is constantly talking about your clothes. Already a byword, for example, your coat ...

I had one jacket. She's so comfy and warm with fur. And I probably put it on three times. But she is really dear ... And I read ... Oh, no, they take an interview with me and say: "Tell me, are you putting on this coat in the same way as Tchaikovskaya put on her hat?" This is my third time in this coat! I didn't wear it again. Therefore, I understand that, unfortunately, it is often impossible to appear in the same clothes, otherwise people immediately begin to think that this is some kind of magic coat.

But as soon as they wear different clothes, people immediately begin to think about what this color means, what this species means, and make assumptions.

No, the color depends on the mood. The color of the mood is black.

And the gray coat from 2018 - where do you have it?

Well, I have it hanging. And it seems to me that I did not wear it afterwards. I associate it with the Olympics and with my mother - I don't know why. Hanging, yes, at home.

(on the rink)

Little girls now, they look at their success anyway, they want to be like them, repeat their success, be just as popular, popular ...

Everyone wants to be popular, in demand, beautiful, happy, rich. But not everyone is ready to give all the best. When there is no strength, and you do not even understand whether you will reach the end. You just understand - you have a goal, it is higher than self-love

Everyone smiles at you, no matter what. Do you love the cold?

No, I can't stand it at all

Such a contrast - we came to the warmth, and immediately so good ...

No, I suffer in the cold.

(in a studio)

But how ... You still have some kind of turnover in the team. It is clear that your backbone - Dudakov, Daniil - is in place ...

Well, what a turnover ...

Plus or minus does someone come and go or not?

Who are you asking about, about Rozanov?

Well, for example, about the conditional Rozanov.

Here's another, as you said there, conditional Rozanov ... In fact, I did not want to take him, because he is a snob. He is confident that he will definitely come to a result. It's impossible. We adopted the guy, we taught him for a long time how to cut music, how to work on a computer, how to put programs, how to train. Taught. And they let go. As he said in some interview, he got bored with us. Well, OK. I'm definitely not bored. Probably, this is a star fever - at some point it begins to seem that they themselves know the path to success and it’s not a matter of the team, but he himself can come to this.

There are legends about you in life ...

What about life? Some kind of stupidity, I guess.

That you don't want to communicate with anyone, for example.

Oh, how much hatred is around now ... I, frankly, sometimes read and ... In general, as a person, writing this and arguing, then goes to bed? What, just falling asleep calmly? What about conscience? Not ashamed? I don’t know, I am horrified sometimes, with some phrases ... But at the same time I want to say: I’m opening Instagram now - how many people love me! I read sometimes and a lot of people just wish me health, and I don't even know if I deserve it all. Therefore, the haters' statements are completely covered.

Is this pleasant for you?

(The dog squeaks loudly)

Good morning! (laugh)

Probably more responsibility appears. I feel responsible for all this love. You really need to understand that I am a coach. I will be loved as long as I create good results - that's all. And they remember me. And then - I'm not saying what is needed to be remembered, to be loved - it's just some kind of responsibility.

It will be great if all three medals are ours. Otherwise, there will be an understanding that we have failed.

Aim for all three medals?

Yes!

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Does the existence of competitors luring your athletes invigorate you?

All this is there, but what about it [to think]

I don't know, but there is Plushenko, relatively speaking ...

Does he exist?

I do not know!

And me too.
No, I don't agree with your translation here, sorry :) There was a specific, sarcastic pun on Eteri's part. But you've got something philosophical - "does Plushenko exist?" :laugh: I practicly see the headlines on sports.ru right now "Eteri asked a philosophical question - does Plushenko exist and how many thousands of Plushenko can dance on the end of one needle?" :biggrin:

I don't know, I would translate something like this:

- Does the presence of competitors luring your athletes invigorate you?
- Well, all this presente, but what..
- I don't know, but, relatively speaking, there is the presence of Plushenko..
- Is he present?
- I do not know!
- And me too.

I understand that this is also not an ideal translation, but it seems to me that it is closer to the essence than your existential questions about the existence of Plushenko in the universe, sorry :)

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I’m opening Instagram now - how many people love me! I read sometimes and a lot of people just wish me health, and I don't even know if I deserve it all. Therefore, the haters' statements are completely covered.

I will be loved as long as I create good results - that's all. And they remember me.

There is a lot less love in this forum though. Maybe I should get on instagram too.

The second quote is definitely spot on.

Scott512

Record Breaker
This interview was done before the sheduled GPF and was supposed to be aired during that. Because the GPF was cancelled, it was aired only now (with some added parts I think).
Thanks.

I was shocked she did this in mid season. It doesn't add off.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
No, I don't agree with your translation here, sorry :) There was a specific, sarcastic pun on Eteri's part. But you've got something philosophical - "does Plushenko exist?" :laugh: I practicly see the headlines on sports.ru right now "Eteri asked a philosophical question - does Plushenko exist and how many thousands of Plushenko can dance on the end of one needle?" :biggrin:

- Is he present?
- I do not know!
- And me too.

I understand that this is also not an ideal translation, but it seems to me that it is closer to the essence than your existential questions about the existence of Plushenko in the universe, sorry :)
it is difficult to convey the depth of contempt for Plushenko contained in this short dialogue. I don't really think that everything is so bad with him as a coach, but Tutberidze very skillfully destroyed him with her "Me too"

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
it is difficult to convey the depth of contempt for Plushenko contained in this short dialogue. I don't really think that everything is so bad with him as a coach, but Tutberidze very skillfully destroyed him with her "Me too"
Yes, there's also the point that these were short, quick phrases (that's why my translation is also not very good) So it's probably more correct to translate something like:

- ...there is Plushenko...
- He is?
- I do not know!
- Me too

like Eteri even didn't want to waste a lot of words about him and she answered with short and quick, like a knife stab, phrases

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

- Is he present?
- I do not know!
- And me too.

There is a czech satirical philosofical theory of Externism. While Solipsism says "there is only me and all the surroundings is just an imagination", Externism says "There is only surroundings and I do not exist." :biggrin:

Last edited: