2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese Women's Figure Skating

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
My dream team was Rika/Wakaba/Mana but due to what happened with Rika, my team now would be Wakaba/Mana/Mai but I know that's not going to happen with Kaori being in her best form, I almost secure that Kaori/Wakaba/Mai will be the team, I don't think Mana will have a clean performance even tho I expect a season best in the free, same with Satoko, I think Kaori and Mai will have their skate of their lives with Wakaba being a big question, she will go clean? or almost clean? Or will she bomb out? For me it looks like she is in great form so I seriously hope she goes clean and earn that spot, if not then Satoko may take her place and be Kaori/Mai/Satoko, Mana needs to go full clean if she wants to be in the team and even with that if the others goes clean as well she may loose the spot, she still don't have good components and support from the federation even tho she deserves more

readernick

Medalist
Rika/ Wakaba/ Mana was also my dream team. Mai is so loveable, but her skating is never exciting to me. I guess my dream team would, now be, Wakaba/ Mana/ Rino but obviously that's not happening and they are going to put Kaori on the team. Her SP score compared to other skaters was downright shocking and left no doubt that Kaori is going to the Olympics.Japan doesn't inflate scores like Russia for most competitors but you can definitely see who has the federation support because they are scored by a different metric. Yuma and Kaori are clearly fed favorites. The amount of politicizing in figure skating this week is making me feel a bit down at least Japan isn't quite as bad as Russia but they are learning.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
What do you suppose would be the finish that would make Olympic team selection most difficult?

My guess would be Sakamoto and Higuchi in 1-2 (or 2-1) and then, a bit of a way back, Kawabe in third, with Mihara just barely missing out in fourth, by like a point or less.
A little bit more than "a point or less", but otherwise, that's exactly what happened.

This is a bit different situation than four years ago. Both Sakamoto and Higuchi were still unproven, and Sakamoto was two places higher on the podium at Nationals. Now we have a veteran that had a better overall season that finished fourth, and a fresh young face with arguably more potential that finished third.

I could still see them decide to give a sort of "lifetime achievement" award to Mihara by sending her to the Olympics, and sending Kawabe to Worlds to build up her ranking. And I can easily see them doing the reverse.

Like I said, there's going to be quite a debate going on behind closed doors.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The key here is that finishing in the top 3 is part of the criteria, so the rest doesn't matter unless they want to bump someone for Sakamoto, who was the only one qualified for GPF. The odds Sakamoto misses the podium are very slim anyway. Even so, other than Kawabe or Matsuike, I doubt they would bump any of the other top girls. Certainly not Kihira or Higuchi.
Well, here we are. You think they'll bump Kawabe?

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Well, here we are. You think they'll bump Kawabe?
I think it's wholly possible, Mai fulfills criteria A, C and D for the third skater selection, is more well-known internationally, and consistent. Mana has shown great growth, but her real holdback is her results in 2019-20 as a junior and her 9th place finish at SCI. If she has a SP at the Olympics like she did there, she won't make the FS, which will be something the JSF wants to avoid at all costs. If she misses the Olympics, she'll probably get assigned to 4CC and Junior or Senior Worlds, so she'll get at least some ISU Championship experience.

Reactions: ana

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
My goodness Rika is a class act. She posted a message congratulating the JNat ladies. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful it must have been for her to sit at home and watch the competition while her Olympic dreams were reduced to dust.

I just....I can't get over how unfair it is. Everything building up to one dream and then.... gone. Through no fault of yours. Just a bad moment and it all dissolves into a puff of smoke.

Sorry! I'm feeling as bitter as heck.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Because it would have been possible if Mai skated very well and just missed, but Mai didn't. Kawabe was clearly better here.
She did skate very well. Not perfect, but very well. Her free score was higher than Kawabe's at the Grand Prix events.

A three point difference at Nationals for a third place finish does not in and of itself overturn the accomplishments of an entire season.

Joekaz

On the Ice
She did skate very well. Not perfect, but very well. Her free score was higher than Kawabe's at the Grand Prix events.

A three point difference at Nationals for a third place finish does not in and of itself overturn the accomplishments of an entire season.
We will see. My opinion is Mana.

readernick

Medalist
My goodness Rika is a class act. She posted a message congratulating the JNat ladies. I cannot even begin to imagine how awful it must have been for her to sit at home and watch the competition while her Olympic dreams were reduced to dust.

I just....I can't get over how unfair it is. Everything building up to one dream and then.... gone. Through no fault of yours. Just a bad moment and it all dissolves into a puff of smoke.

Sorry! I'm feeling as bitter as heck.
Yes, I missed Rika through the whole event and she is a lovely, thoughtful, practical woman. It's very sad. However, I do think if she can come back from injury she still has a chance at the next Olympics. She is great at everything and has the potential for even more growth. I also think that she is made of steel under the cute exterior and won't give up on her dream that easily. I believe in her.

I was so happy to see Wakaba skate so well after having a tragic JN in 2018 and struggling with injury for several years like Rika is doing now. Mana also did very well. I think the Japanese federation will just send the top 3 to the Olympics. It's what they like going and in this case there is no strong argument to be made for Mai over Mana.

I'm a bit shocked that two of my three favorites ended up on the podium. It did come at the expense of my ultimate favorite Rika though... May she rise like Wakaba did at JN in 2025.

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I missed Rika through the whole event and she is a lovely, thoughtful, practical woman. It's very sad. However, I do think if she can come back from injury still has a chance at the next a Olympics. She has great everything and the potential for even more growth. I also think that she is made of steel under the cute exterior and won't give up on her dream that resulted easily. I believe in her.

I was so happy to see Wakaba skate so well after having a tragic JN in 2018 and struggling with injury for me several years like Rika is doing now. Mana also did very well. I think the Japanese federation will just send the top 3 to the Olympics. It's what they like going and in this case there is no strong argument to be made for Mai over Mana.

I'm a bit shocked that two of my three favorites ended up on the podium. It did come at the expense of my ultimate favorite Rika though... May she rise like Wakaba did say JN in 2025.
I agree i see no reason to send anyone but the podium to Beijing it's not like the 4th place finisher won a medal at Worlds last season.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Yes, I missed Rika through the whole event and she is a lovely, thoughtful, practical woman. It's very sad. However, I do think if she can come back from injury she still has a chance at the next Olympics. She is great at everything and the potential for even more growth. I also think that she is made of steel under the cute exterior and won't give up on her dream that easily. I believe in her.

I was so happy to see Wakaba skate so well after having a tragic JN in 2018 and struggling with injury for me several years like Rika is doing now. Mana also did very well. I think the Japanese federation will just send the top 3 to the Olympics. It's what they like going and in this case there is no strong argument to be made for Mai over Mana.

I'm a bit shocked that two of my three favorites ended up on the podium. It did come at the expense of my ultimate favorite Rika though... May she rise like Wakaba did say JN in 2025.
Yes I'm shocked about that podium as well, two of my favorites but not the most important for me, that's Rika

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Yay Wakaba! :points:
I feel sad that Mai and Satoko were about 1 jump away from reaching the podium. Their skating is lovely to watch!
Hoping that Rinka can land a 3A at an international competition one day.

The juniors did really well too - Rion going for a 4T and Hanna the 3A, future looking bright for Japanese women (y)

Reactions: Myr

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Nagoya FS Festival

Time: Jan 4th, 2022 (18:30pm JST)
Website: https://static.chunichi.co.jp/chunichi/pages/event/figure/index.html

Skaters' list

Shoma Uno
Yuma Kagiyama
Keiji Tanaka
Kazuki Tomono
Kao Miura
Sota Yamamoto
Shunsuke Nakamura
Tatsuya Tsuboi
*Shun Sato's performance was cancelled due to injury

Kaori Sakamoto
Satoko Miyahara (*Satoko cancelled the performance, citing ill physical form, as of Jan 3rd)
Rino Matsuike
Mai Mihara
Mana Kawabe
Yuhana Yokoi
Hana Yoshida
Mao Shimada
Rin Nitaya
Marin Honda
Kaoruko Wada (*Local skater, NvA National 2nd)
Rena Uezono (*Local skater, NvA National 5th)

Special guests (will have their retirement ceremony)
Rika Hongo
Yura Matsuda

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Nagoya FS Festival

Time: Jan 4th, 2022 (18:30pm JST)
Website: https://static.chunichi.co.jp/chunichi/pages/event/figure/index.html

Skaters' list

Shoma Uno
Yuma Kagiyama
Keiji Tanaka
Kazuki Tomono
Kao Miura
Sota Yamamoto
Shunsuke Nakamura
Tatsuya Tsuboi
*Shun Sato's performance was cancelled due to injury

Kaori Sakamoto
Satoko Miyahara (*Satoko cancelled the performance, citing ill physical form, as of Jan 3rd)
Rino Matsuike
Mai Mihara
Mana Kawabe
Yuhana Yokoi
Hana Yoshida
Mao Shimada
Rin Nitaya
Marin Honda
Kaoruko Wada (*Local skater, NvA National 2nd)
Rena Uezono (*Local skater, NvA National 5th)

Special guests (will have their retirement ceremony)
Rika Hongo
Yura Matsuda
I probably was not paying attention to this, but the event will go on LIVE streaming and they are working with Zaiko!!
So I just checked: yes you can buy the viewing ticket from oversea!! :jump:

Here's the link: https://l-tike.zaiko.io/e/figureskating20220104
To buy the ticket from oversea: https://l-tike.zaiko.io/buy/1rFY:iYG:8bd82 (the fee is 3,325 JPN Yen, handling fee included)

Enjoy!! :popcorn::hb:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Post-Japanese National (domestic) competitions is starting at the moment. And the 1st one is the '2022 Intercollegiate Skating Championship', which is for college/university representative skaters. There's already a discussion thread of this competition under 21-22 Japan National FS event.

Basically, the competition tomorrow will include the following skaters: Saki Miyake, Rinka Watanabe, Kaori Sakamoto, Yuhana Yokoi, Shiika Yoshioka, Mai Mihara, Marin Honday, Chisato Uramatsu, Yuna Shiraiwa. (adding: Wakaba WD-ed from the very beginning entry list)
And this competition includes only 1 competition of FS.

On another news, it seems that Satoko's entry to 4CC is now replaced by Yuhana. Satoko cancelled the performance at the Nagoya Festival 2 days ago. It's not sure what happened to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: ana

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
On another news, it seems that Satoko's entry to 4CC is now replaced by Yuhana. Satoko cancelled the performance at the Nagoya Festival 2 days ago. It's not sure what happened to her.

She cancelled Nagoya because she was "feeling unwell", so WD from 4CC this early means it's probably either injury or COVID. Get well soon, tiny queen!