2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 225 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

elliana

On the Ice
We'll see about Karen. When all her UR were marked and even single jumps were downgraded, she scored about 180, similar to Amber's lowest score this season.

The argument that intl judges favor Karen doesn't matter. If Amber can win nats by landing all her 3a she has the chance to turn her reputation around. Then she goes into the Olympics with the reputation of top US lady. The judges will of course look at her with fresh eyes then.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
I don't have any complaints about past selections. My point is that I'm against people ruling her out this year on "body of work" criteria if she finishes ahead of Karen or Mariah.

Aside from Alyssa, no US lady has a body of work sufficient to put them on the team if they finish outside of the top three. (In my opinion.) And I'm not sure I'd give it to Alyssa if she places outside of the top three.

readernick

Medalist
Aside from Alyssa, no US lady has a body of work sufficient to put them on the team if they finish outside of the top three. (In my opinion.) And I'm not sure I'd give it to Alyssa if she places outside of the top three.
Yes, I agree. I don't think anyone is really good enough to be put on the team if they aren't top three. But according to criteria Alysa is fine unless she is outside the top 5. USFS already manipulates judging in favor of their favorites. If Karen/ Mariah can't make top 3 with favors from the judges, should they be on the team? I don't , personally, think so. If Alysa implodes and ends up 6th should she be on the team, again no

I like Karen but I have a bit of an issue with the favorable judging her coach gets. Clare SEO is currently leading the juniors event and I agree with her PCS lead. She's adorable and talented. But, they ignored some of her clear URs while being more harsh with others. This type of judging only hurts US ladies long-term.

I wish US pairs had the three spots and US women had two. There are actually 4 teams with pretty good arguments for being put on the team in pairs.

Last edited:

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Isabeau did a clean SP run through with a backloaded 3Lz3Lo

Based on Jackie Wong notes, Isabeau has the best practice so far, follow by Alysa/Karen. Amber/Mariah next. Lindsay's jumps seem very messy in practice.

Practice notes also reveals that Isabeau doesn't has serious injury after all. It was just a "rumor", not a fact. Minor injury? Probably. Serious injury? Definitely not.

Alysa FS run thru

Mariah FS run thru

Karen SP run thru

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Based on Jackie Wong notes, Isabeau has the best practice so far, follow by Alysa/Karen. Amber/Mariah next. Lindsay's jumps seem very messy in practice.

Practice notes also reveals that Isabeau doesn't has serious injury after all. It was just a "rumor", not a fact. Minor injury? Probably. Serious injury? Definitely not.

Alysa FS run thru

Mariah FS run thru

Karen SP run thru
Thanks for sharing!

Alysa - popped her 3A. I’m glad she changed her layout. She is leaving all combos towards the end of her free skate. She looked good besides the triple axel and her Euler into 3S makes more sense instead of the 3F. She was called for under rotating this combo with the flip by the judges at both her GP events. So, I’m glad to see the sale how back.
Mariah - Only jumps with no combos in this run through. I guess it is too much to expect a triple triple. She was under rotating her jumps towards the end of her program.
Karen - wow! Her SP dazzled me. It was so good and her 3Lz 3T was awesome. If she performs like how she did in practice, she deserves the highest PCS score.

My pick for top three in the SP based on practice is Levito, Liu and Chen

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think Karen will likely place second. She is the strongest SKATER of the women, and it is USN after all and the tech caller will likely be exceedingly lenient. (Well, maybe not for a Thorngren or Levito, because they just need to 'wait their turn'). In fact, Karen could win it all. But I don't think USFS would want Alysa to go to Olys not as US champion. Good luck ladies! Just do your best and let the chips fall.

halulupu

Final Flight
We'll see about Karen. When all her UR were marked and even single jumps were downgraded, she scored about 180, similar to Amber's lowest score this season.

The argument that intl judges favor Karen doesn't matter. If Amber can win nats by landing all her 3a she has the chance to turn her reputation around. Then she goes into the Olympics with the reputation of top US lady. The judges will of course look at her with fresh eyes then.
If, if, if only a mircle would happen