2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Short Program | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Pairs Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone seems slow tonight. But I haven't seen a lot of US pairs this season other than the top two. Is it just me?
I’ve seen in person: K/F, L/O, McBeath/Bartholomay, L/M, Chan/Howe, and SMIRNOVA/SIIANYTSIA , who am I leaving out @Seven Sisters ? And added to that on TV C-G/L, who had to wd from Cranberry due to Covid.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really wish the US had 3 spots because the top 3 teams are really Olympic caliber and even L/M are probably better then a lot of countries number 1 team that will be at the Olympics. Only having the same number of spots s as the Canadians for instance sucks since Canada really has only two good teams and doesn't need another spot.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Okay not to be a party pooper after 3 fab top 3 skates but protocols came out..... I'm sorry but there is NO way that C/J's throw should have gotten all those +3's and even +4 with the hand down (should have been 0/+1s mostly and +2 at best with extreme Nationals generosity).

Certainly in PCS, while C/J were great, C-G/L absolutely slayed them. If C/J were 34.25, C-G/L should have been 36 with Nationals scoring.

This should not be as close as it is.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I really wish the US had 3 spots because the top 3 teams are really Olympic caliber and even L/M are probably better then a lot of countries number 1 team that will be at the Olympics. Only having the same number of spots s as the Canadians for instance sucks since Canada really has only two good teams and doesn't need another spot.

Canada only has 2 pairs spots. But if either country were to have 3 spots, the US would be the one to deserve it.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I do too!
Me three, on merit, but poor Brandon looked so distraught and sick in that video he posted today, I feel bad for him. I mean, Alexa has been to the Olympics already, but he has not..

And I’m sure USFS will put them in the team anyway. Whether they will be able to compete is another question.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Oh wow.
Alexa and Brandon will petition and probably be put on the team which may knock out Jessica and Brain if in second. What a heartbreak to be knocked off the team twice in a row??
I wouldn't be so sure of that. If Ashley/Tim and Jessica/Brian both lay down great performances in the free skate, I could see the USFS making the decision to send them and place Alexa/Brandon as alternates. Given Brandon's medical condition and what's sure to be a major hiccup in training time at a critical period, there's no guarantee they'd be at 100% readiness by departure time.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
if going for a stiff look makes you happy... :LOL: remember though 90s are over

of course! as our french friends say ça va sans dire
It covers up a multitude of sins and their effects. Years ago I saw a very ancient Mae West and she looked stunning in her PoP and white shroud and no she was still alive though she did have two muscular men holding each elbow.... Anyway I digress.

Last edited:

Weathergal

Medalist
No. And if both teams skate like that in the free program, I can see it happening. They were both spectacular.

I haven't seen Alexa and Brandon skate that well, certainly not this season.

I'm not so sure I buy into this "first or nothing" viewpoint.

I do too!

If the these two teams skate lights out like they did tonight I really hope they make the team. It it unfortunate K/F had to withdraw, but who says they would have beaten them if they were able to skate?
I also would really like to have Cain-Gribble / Le Duc and Calalang / Johnson in the Olympics. It's not that I dislike Knierim / Frazier - I just enjoy the other two pairs more and feel like they've both skated a little stronger this season. And now that I've seen their SPs, I feel that even more.

I hate to see Knierim / Frazer be penalized because of COVID, but giving them a medical bye takes away the other pairs' opportunity to beat them on the ice, which was possible. Not an easy answer for this one.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Me three, on merit, but poor Brandon looked so distraught and sick in that video he posted today, I feel bad for him. I mean, Alexa has been to the Olympics already, but he has not..

And I’m sure USFS will put them in the team anyway. Whether they will be able to compete is another question.
Alexa and Chris skated far better than expected and were an integral part of the team bronze.