2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2022 U.S. Nationals: Senior Free Dance

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
Are you going to leave the best American lady at home because she happened to get Covid? Or the best pair team?
I already addressed this mere posts above this.

This year is a special circumstance. My concerns are broader than that.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I agree. There is 0 drama to ice dance as visible mistakes are so rare..... meaning the judges can do what they want.

That said, looking back at all the Olympics since the IJS was implemented I pretty much agree with all of the Olympic medalists.

Should H/B have higher scores? Yeah, probably. Doesn't really matter though as they aren't as good as the top two teams so the gap has no practical impact.
Last year they were better. Teams ahead of them had glaringly obvious twizzle errors. Even my cat saw them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I already addressed this mere posts above this.

This year is a special circumstance. My concerns are broader than that.
I mean people used to be surprised if a 2nd place medalist was left off the team. Now they just won't be surprised. It's only codifying what is already being done. I get it if you don't agree with that's being done. But it isn't anything new.

Wafflecakes

On the Ice
I mean people used to be surprised if a 2nd place medalist was left off the team. Now they just won't be surprised. It's only codifying what is already being done. I get it if you don't agree with that's being done. But it isn't anything new.
I think the reason I bring it up now is because it is more visible.

Even though this started a few quads ago.... most skaters were competing like nationals mattered because that was the culture in skating that took a number of years to dissipate.

Now you can just feel the casualness of it all in many disciplines. No tension or pushing at all outside of the dance top 2.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think G/P will be happy enough with fourth.

I do think they would rather be ahead. You know, so they can go to the Olympics!

I think the world of Michael Parsons the skater and Michael Parsons the person.
He is my favorite male ice dancer who competed this season.

I feel sure that Michael is gracious in defeat (whenever in that circumstance).
At the same time, I believe that Michael would not be happy with fourth.

I just witnessed some of Michael's training mates giving him very prolonged hugs of support.
It was obvious that they knew that placing fourth would be weighing heavily on him.
It was heartwarming for me to see how much Michael's friends love him, but also heartwrenching to see him grappling with tonight's outcome. :(

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the reason I bring it up now is because it is more visible.

Even though this started a few quads ago.... most skaters were competing like nationals mattered because that was the culture in skating that took a number of years to dissipate.

Now you can just feel the casualness of it all in many disciplines. No tension or pushing at all outside of the dance top 2.

I’ve only been going to Nationals for 5 years, so quite likely there is something I’m missing, but Nationals seem seems about like it always has been. I’ve seen Nationals debuts, fun personal triumphs, etc. The top 2 plus Covid withdrawal in ladies are the only team yet named. Had C/J skated better they may have given the selection committee something to think about. They did not do so. If G/P had skated a little better, they may have given the selection committee something to think about and I think they might very well have been named to the team. They didn’t do that. If Jason, Nathan and Vincent finish 1-2-3 in any combination that’s going to be pretty easy also. If something crazy like Camden putting 2 good programs together and everyone in front of him falling 2-3 times and he wins the gold or silver I wouldn’t send him, he’s too wildly inconsistent. I guess maybe you would and I just disagree. We don’t have an Olympic trials, we have a National championship to determine the National champion and funding for next season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I honestly can't say who should have been first but thing look good that either or both teams could win an olympic medal especially with the Russians injured and the Canadians not looking great at Nats.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I just witnessed some of Michael's training mates giving him very prolonged hugs of support.
It was obvious that they knew that placing fourth would be weighing heavily on him.
It was heartwarming for me to see how much Michael's friends love him, but also heartwrenching to see him grappling with tonight's outcome. :(
It is tough just being left off the olympic team. But HB have waited ages for the right to represent the uS. I know it is or should be who is the best. Both teams were and are great. Technique and artistry. I am confident Parson will have his day.

Seven Sisters

Medalist

That is a beautiful post, @ice coverage, and I thank you for it!

I saw Green & Parsons’ programs live at the Lake Placid comp (temporarily at the Skating Club of Boston) this summer, with no advance warning of what I was about to see, and I was just stunned. I happened to see Michael on the concourse later and of course, told him what I thought.

He was, in fact, lovely and gracious, and nothing you have said here surprises me in the least.

Yeslekyelnats

Rinkside
Happy with all the performances and particularly H/B rising to a beautiful FD that was magical. I get that Chock and Bates have superb technical skills that are accentuated in this FD but I don't see the International judges so entranced. I actually think H/D has a better chance for a podium finish. But the team should be C/B, H/D and H/B. Green and Parsons have a solid future and an important role as alternates.
They have higher scores internationally with a fall

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I think this is why Ice Dance is never going to be popular.

The mistakes are mostly invisible, and rarely does how hard an element looks actually correlate with its point value.
At least the start order is different here. You should see how boring it is when they start in reverse order of how they finished the RD. They very rarely swap places. C/B still won an event even with a fall, which I actually get because it wasn’t on an element, but it makes it SO boring.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I replied "Breathtaking" to one of Jackie Wong's tweets about how stunning Hawayek and Baker were tonight and Jean-Luc LIKED my reply. I may or may not be completely geeking out.
He has answered a couple of my IG posts. I’m threatening him with dad jokes. Twice the dad jokes next year Jean Luc!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have higher scores internationally with a fall
How much higher? Attaining scores that consistently demonstrate the ability to score in the top 15 at the Olympics or attaining a score that would place them in the top 10 at the Olympics would place them in Group 4. They already attained that status by virtue of placing top 5 at Nationals. To be Group 3 they would have had to obtain a score that would place them in the top 5 at the OG or consistently placed them in the top 10 in the OG and AFAIK they have not done that. Kaitlyn and Jean Luc are Priority Group 3 based on placing in the top 3 at Nationals. In this instance it’s pretty cut and dried. And the placements did matter.

Last edited: