2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating | Page 230 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 US Women's Figure Skating

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Alysa can still petition for the Olympics, yes.

She cannot go to Tallinn, however, as those are the European Championships!

(And USFS already said a while back that they aren’t going to send their Olympic team to 4CC)
4CC is in Tallinn this year.

I agree though that the Olympic team is not going there and Alysa should be going to the olympics based on winning two challengers, securing the third spot and having the highest US womens international score this season.

Elana

On the Ice
So no one else here prefers Lindsay to both Mariah and Karen? Would much rather see her and Alysa on the Olympic team, and just one of Mariah/Karen. I find Lindsay's precision captivating and think she's really improved the past few years, her tech is great.

Minz

It's not over till it's over
Medalist
Country
United-States
4CC is in Tallinn this year.

I agree though that the Olympic team is not going there and Alysa should be going to the olympics based on winning two challengers, securing the third spot and having the highest US womens international score this season.
Oh, sorry I didn’t realise!

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
So no one else here prefers Lindsay to both Mariah and Karen? Would much rather see her and Alysa on the Olympic team, and just one of Mariah/Karen. I find Lindsay's precision captivating and think she's really improved the past few years, her tech is great.

I find everything she does slow and telegraphed. Honestly I can’t imagine her being chosen to represent the US at a major event such as the Olympics against the top Japanese, Russian, and Korean senior ladies at this point in her development. She would stick out like a sore thumb. She has a 0% chance of beating Wakaba and Kaori whereas Mariah and Karen could at least make it interesting if there are edge and < calls involved.

Lindsey is also prone to < internationally but for whatever reason people have forgotten all about that this weekend. It was very telling that she couldn’t even get a medal at the Warsaw Cup. Bell likely would have won that event easily.

As it turns out skating skills is a thing that matters in the sport of figure skating, as it should.

Last edited:

natsulian

Final Flight
I find everything she does slow and telegraphed. Honestly I can’t imagine her being chosen to represent the US at a major event such as the Olympics against the top Japanese, Russian, and Korean senior ladies at this point in her development. She would stick out like a sore thumb. She has a 0% chance of beating Wakaba and Kaori whereas Mariah and Karen could at least make it interesting if there are edge and < calls involved.

Lindsey is also prone to < internationally but for whatever reason people have forgotten all about that this weekend. It was very telling that she couldn’t even get a medal at the Warsaw Cup. Bell likely would have won that event easily.

As it turns out skating skills is a thing that matters in the sport of figure skating, as it should.
This had me thinking and I went through the Top 4 women and their international protocols this season. Since the post refers mostly to Lindsay, here is a summary of her protocols from the three international events she competed in:

Junior Grand Prix France 1
- 3F, 2A, 3Lz3T(q)
- 2A, 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F(!), 3Lo, 3Lz2T2Lo, and 3S3T

Junior Grand Prix Slovenia
- 3F, 2A, and 3Lz3T
- 3A(<<), 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F(!), 3Lo3T, 3Lz1Eu3S(<), and 2A

Warsaw Cup
- 3F(!), 2A, 3Lz(q)3T(<)
- 3A(<<), 3Lz3Lo, 2A, 2A, 3F(!)3T(q), 3Lz2T2Lo, and 3F(!)(<)

Across three international events, Lindsay received 3 "q" calls, 3 "<" calls, and 2 "<<" calls. It is my understanding that Lindsay's skate at Warsaw Cup was heavily impacted by boot problems. Also, across these three competitions, Lindsay fell 0 times.

Karen, across four international events, received 11 "q" calls, 12 "<" calls, and 3 "<<" calls. Also, across these three competitions, Karen fell a few times.

As for Alysa, she mostly receives "<" calls during her second half combinations alongside the triple-Axel which has yet to be landed cleanly (and mostly receives a "<<" or "<"). Also has only fallen on her triple-Axel attempts.

Mariah Bell and Isabeau Levito are currently the only skaters in the Top 4 who rarely received edge or under-rotation calls internationally this season. Levito received ZERO under-rotation calls and one edge call on her triple-Flip across two competitions; also, Isabeau has fallen zero times in her two competitions.

readernick

Medalist
I find everything she does slow and telegraphed.
Slow, yes. She is clearly a perfectionist on ice who never wants to make a mistake so she never lets go. But, I don't think telegraphed is fair. She executes a lot of transitions and she does them well. Lindsay is young and shy but she has everything she needs to become a great skater. I wonder what it will do to give her the confidence to excel? She is already great competitor.

Also, Lindsay's SS aren't really weak. She has nice knees and good flow. She just doesn't try to go fast. She does need more power in her performance but that isn't because her SS are bad.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Slow, yes. She is clearly a perfectionist on ice who never wants to make a mistake so she never lets go. But, I don't think telegraphed fair. She executes a lot of transitions and she does them well. Lindsay is young and shy but she has everything she needs to become a great skater. I wonder what it will do to give her the confidence to excel? She is already great competitor.

Lindsay doesn't really telegraph her jumps anymore than Karen or Mariah...The only jump I would say is slightly long is the double axel, my guess is because she has been training a triple axel she needs a longer setup and they don't want to mess with her timing when they tell her to go for a double.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
One factor is that Gabby had all level 4s and Gracie had 2 level 3s.
That was something I noticed about Gracie's skating. She's more a "6.0" skater now. I was happy to see her skate cleanly, but her skating didn't really impress me much. Her story and her comeback is inspirational, but her skating hasn't caught back up yet, IMO. I hope she skates well tonight.

Amei

Record Breaker
That was something I noticed about Gracie's skating. She's more a "6.0" skater now. I was happy to see her skate cleanly, but her skating didn't really impress me much. Her story and her comeback is inspirational, but her skating hasn't caught back up yet, IMO. I hope she skates well tonight.

FS has been her problem, while her 2 championship series events in Georgia and Virginia didn't have meltdowns, she did a couple single jumps, and only 4 triples

Georgia
Virginia (Lindsay won here)

macy

Record Breaker
Completely agree. Lindsay has solid jumps and spins but the rest is eons away from not just the top skaters in in world but the top US women. She has a LOT of work to do to be truly competitive outside of tech. She is very much still a junior skater.

loopy1217

Rinkside
Amber also pull out because of Covid. USFS really needs to pull the plug before it affect the Olympic team and even the alternates

beachmouse

On the Ice
Honestly, two years after this pandemic started, it is clear that we must learn to live with this virus, as it was with influenza or flu (which also affects millions of people in the world each year). Each season will be the same because viruses mutate, we cannot help it.

It's not really the USA's call here. We're sending a team to an Olympics held in a country with a stated zero covid policy and have to select a squad in part based on what Chinese border control says. Their country, their rules and all.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
This had me thinking and I went through the Top 4 women and their international protocols this season. Since the post refers mostly to Lindsay, here is a summary of her protocols from the three international events she competed in:

Junior Grand Prix France 1
- 3F, 2A, 3Lz3T(q)
- 2A, 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F(!), 3Lo, 3Lz2T2Lo, and 3S3T

Junior Grand Prix Slovenia
- 3F, 2A, and 3Lz3T
- 3A(<<), 3Lz3T, 2A, 3F(!), 3Lo3T, 3Lz1Eu3S(<), and 2A

Warsaw Cup
- 3F(!), 2A, 3Lz(q)3T(<)
- 3A(<<), 3Lz3Lo, 2A, 2A, 3F(!)3T(q), 3Lz2T2Lo, and 3F(!)(<)

Across three international events, Lindsay received 3 "q" calls, 3 "<" calls, and 2 "<<" calls. It is my understanding that Lindsay's skate at Warsaw Cup was heavily impacted by boot problems. Also, across these three competitions, Lindsay fell 0 times.

Karen, across four international events, received 11 "q" calls, 12 "<" calls, and 3 "<<" calls. Also, across these three competitions, Karen fell a few times.

As for Alysa, she mostly receives "<" calls during her second half combinations alongside the triple-Axel which has yet to be landed cleanly (and mostly receives a "<<" or "<"). Also has only fallen on her triple-Axel attempts.

Mariah Bell and Isabeau Levito are currently the only skaters in the Top 4 who rarely received edge or under-rotation calls internationally this season. Levito received ZERO under-rotation calls and one edge call on her triple-Flip across two competitions; also, Isabeau has fallen zero times in her two competitions.
Alysa and Lindsay take greater risk than Mariah. Mariah has an easier program. If Alysa and Lindsay just skate 3-2 and 2A, they won't get that many calls. If Mariah is skating Lindsay program (3A, triple triple in second half) tonight, Mariah may not even in top 5.

elliana

On the Ice
If only Lindsay had been at this level this time last year. This year if she had the 3As reliable and worked on more "pizazz" I think she could've had a real chance. But there's always next Olympics! She has a bright future in figure skating. After all, Yuna Kim didn't go to her first Olympics until 19.

Who I really feel bad for is Starr and Amber. Where do they go from here? Even if Bradie comes back next season, I don't think she's guaranteed to win another nationals since we have Lindsay and Isabeau now. Also Gabbie will have improved so much by next year.

sworddance21

On the Ice
Bavarian Open still has USA spot as TBD. Wonder if they would send Gracie just to get her back on the world stage? I don't think she's going to any of the major events - and I'm not advocating that they send her - but it would be good to see how she stacks up. Just curious. I am a huge fan - and very appreciative of her representing for Mental Health - but I'm also a little realistic about where she is in her comeback. Seems like Bavarian Open is a good level for her to do well.