What Skaters will skate which events In the Olympic Team Event Competition? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

What Skaters will skate which events In the Olympic Team Event Competition?

pearly

Record Breaker
US has a good chance at gold if 1) S/K do not skate in the Team Event and 2) Kolyada doesn't skate both programs. Chances are even increased if Eteri suceeds in her master plan to include daughter, Diana, in the team event.
Kolyada in or out makes no difference I would think. I think the US might have a shot if SinKats do neither program, but I'd say they only need one to secure the team gold. I expect they wouldn't want to do two for health and because Davis has to skate.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Consider Nathan Chen 's SP's in the last Olympics team event. While I think Russia will win this Olympics' team event, nothing is quite certain on the ice, when the score for each segment comes down to the performance of a single skater.

The same Ilia Malinin who finished third at U.S. Nationals in the SP with a score of 103.46 finished 13th with a score of 67.58 in the SP at CS Cup of Austria and failed to get his Senior TES for Worlds. He fell once and had other errors. It happens. Even very good skaters have a disastrous day now and then, particularly in the men and pairs.

Result Details
Pl. Name Nation TSS
= TES
+ PCS
+ SS TR PE CO IN Deduction
- StN.
1 Lucas Tsuyoshi HONDA
JPN 83.95 46.15 37.80 7.60 7.35 7.60 7.60 7.65 0.00 #15
2 Mihhail SELEVKO
EST 82.61 45.86 36.75 7.35 7.10 7.50 7.35 7.45 0.00 #19
3 Maurizio ZANDRON
AUT 79.06 43.26 35.80 7.00 7.00 7.10 7.30 7.40 0.00 #28
4 Nikita STAROSTIN
GER 75.78 42.58 33.20 6.60 6.40 6.80 6.65 6.75 0.00 #1
5 Arlet LEVANDI
EST 75.10 38.60 36.50 7.20 7.05 7.40 7.35 7.50 0.00 #5
6 Beres CLEMENTS
CAN 71.45 38.95 32.50 6.55 6.40 6.50 6.55 6.50 0.00 #14
7 Nicola TODESCHINI
SUI 71.09 39.09 32.00 6.55 6.10 6.50 6.35 6.50 0.00 #13
8 Luc MAIERHOFER
AUT 70.60 37.35 33.25 6.70 6.40 6.55 6.75 6.85 0.00 #25
9 Sena MIYAKE
JPN 70.57 36.17 34.40 7.25 6.65 6.75 6.75 7.00 0.00 #2
10 Landry LE MAY
FRA 70.53 36.88 33.65 6.80 6.45 6.80 6.80 6.80 0.00 #20
11 Jari KESSLER
CRO 69.54 34.24 35.30 7.00 6.80 7.10 7.20 7.20 0.00 #23
12 Nika EGADZE
GEO 68.02 35.47 32.55 6.70 6.25 6.50 6.55 6.55 0.00 #4
13 Ilia MALININ
USA 67.58 33.78 34.80 7.10 6.75 6.90 7.05 7.00 1.00 #18

If that were the Olympic team event, the US would have been in last place in the SP. If Ilia skated as he did at U.S. Nationals, he surely would have scored better than 83.95 and would have been in first place.

Stuff happens. Ice is slippery. Skaters fall. Alexei Krasnozhon, in first place after the SP at 2018 Junior Worlds, fell and broke his leg and had to withdraw, so of course he finished last in the free skate.

That does not happen exclusively to American skaters. At 2005 Skate America, Totmianina & Marinin had a disastrous lift failure. She was knocked out, and the team could not continue. Later in the season, T&M won the 2006 Olympics.

Even dance excellence is not a guarantee. At the 2006 Olympics, Dubrueil & Lauzon had a lift failure in the FD and had to withdraw.

And then there are costume failures, breaking skates, catching COVID, food poisoning from last night's sushi, and even pieces of bird's nests falling on the ice.

One charm of skating competitions is that nothing is absolutely certain.

That said, the race is not always to the swift, but that is how the smart money is betting.

I do not expect the U.S. to win the team event, but It is not impossible.

And I would not rule out Japan winning either.

Last edited:

pearly

Record Breaker
Whoever comes out on top, I would much rather have an interesting competition than one where the final result is super clear and predictable.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Haven‘t been following this thread in detail but your constant harping on the poor guy stands out. Isn‘t he dealing with a (hip) injury, too? Then tell me, WHY on earth he’d risk his injury worsening and having to peak four times under immense Olympic pressure? It would be a pretty bad strategy and I think it‘s more than silly to suggest that an individual OGM favorite "doesn‘t care about the team" just because they choose to skate only one event.
Your post gave me an image of Nathan yelling "For king and country" as he launches into a quad Lutz!

I'll see myself out now🙈

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The rules absolutely do not say any of the skaters get to choose.

The rules say that USFS has the power to do whatever they want. No flowery language about athletes being able to make their preference known changes that. The athlete preference is completely irrelevant, if it ultimately runs counter to what USFS really wants. It's a token gesture. This is what is actually said in the rules:
The Selection Committee can choose only if not enough skaters express a preference to fill all of the slots. I quoted the entire paragraph in my post. That will not be the case with the US team. And the top ranked skaters in each discipline get to decide which segments they want to skate. Nathan will be the top ranked man so it will be his choice and his choice alone.

ETA: Here it is in black and white:
"If U.S. Figure Skating qualifies two athletes/teams in a discipline (men, ladies, pairs,
ice dance) for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games, the top-ranked athlete/team
determined by the IC Discipline Subcommittees will have the option to compete in
both segments or one segment based on their Team Event Preference Form to
participate in the Team Event."

And there is this (which is irrelevant to Nathan's situation but contradicts the claim that the Team strategy controls):
"If the athlete has potential of podium
placement in their individual event, their individual strategy will be the priority if it is
determined that the Team Event strategy interferes with their individual strategy."

Here again is the link: https://www.usfigureskating.org/sites/default/files/media-files/2022 Winter Olympic Games Selection Procedures FINAL.pdf
The Team selection guidelines are set forth at pp. 13-17.

Last edited:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Jenaj, the selection committee can choose anything. Not sure what you don't understand. The language of the rules is carefully worded to leave every possibility open to them. It's simply written in such a way to seem as PC as possible.

LOL, the rules even say that an individual/team has the "option" of declining participation in the Team Event even if they are the only entry into the Olympics for their discipline. But USFS would obviously never let that happen, as it would mean the medal would instantly be gone. Make no mistake, they will absolutely tell the skaters where they want them, and it will be expected that the skaters respond with their "preference" to match the order that has been given. Skaters who have leverage can certainly negotiate, but at the end of the day it still comes down to what the federation says.

the top ranked skaters in each discipline get to decide which segments they want to skate.

They don't. That's impossible to begin with since only 2 segments can be split. Inherently 2 people will be skating the SP+LP whether they want to or not.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jenaj, the selection committee can choose anything. Not sure what you don't understand. The language of the rules is carefully worded to leave every possibility open to them. It's simply written in such a way to seem as PC as possible.

LOL, the rules even say that an individual/team has the "option" of declining participation in the Team Event even if they are the only entry into the Olympics for their discipline. But USFS would obviously never let that happen, as it would mean the medal would instantly be gone. Make no mistake, they will absolutely tell the skaters where they want them, and it will be expected that the skaters respond with their "preference" to match the order that has been given. Skaters who have leverage can certainly negotiate, but at the end of the day it still comes down to what the federation says.

They don't. That's impossible to begin with since only 2 segments can be split. Inherently 2 people will be skating the SP+LP whether they want to or not.
I go by the official rules, which clearly and unambiguously state that the top ranked skater in each discipline gets to choose which segments he or she wants to skate in the team event. The selection committee's choice only comes into play if not enough skaters express a preference to skate in the team event. That will not be the case with the US team. Beyond that, it's just a numbers game, with a skater's ranking determining who skates what segment.

glacial87

Rinkside
I would have guessed it's Anna doing the SP and Kamila the LP. Meanwhile and after SP at Euros today I think it would be better to place Kamila in both portions. She would have won the SP today even with a failed 3A. Additional advantage: Tutberidze won't have to decide between Sasha and Anna. Then: whoever is chosen in the men's event doing both programs. As a consequence S/K can concentrate on the SD (and kind of a redemption for S/B), two pairs can get gold - M/G for sure. M/G SP and B/K LP or T/M Sp and M/G LP, probably - NOT T/M LP, that's for sure. With two ladies - S/K doing both portions seems inevitable, given the problem "men's category" for RusFed points canoot be lost in ID.