2022 Four Continents: Women's Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2022 Four Continents: Women's Short Program

Vemvane

On the Ice
But to him and his tradition, it's the way to speak, when he's speaking English.
As someone who is English, he's still mispronouncing names. It's one thing to mangle place names because that's how they've been pronounced for ages in one's particular dialect, e.g. saying Pariss instead of giving it the French pronunciation, it's another to do it to personal names when hired as a commentator for an international stream. Matsuike as an example is a name which consists entirely of sounds that are found in Chris' variety of English, and alternating between Matsooka and Matsooky is just not putting in the effort. I can forgive speakers for getting names wrong when they don't have the sounds (e.g. clicks) in their native languages; I can forgive speakers for bungling names in foreign languages when first encountering them, because we all do that (my family name is constantly butchered, and I have done terrible things to students' names, usually by putting stress in the wrong place ahahaha); but I do think that international commentators could at least try a bit harder.

balabam

🥕🥕🌵🌵😈😀
Record Breaker
Country
Slovakia
Why the hell she does not do 3S+3T in the second half of the short like she does all the years succesfully in the long? Actually, she have 3S+3T+2T as her last element in the free

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So, at the risk of being obnoxious, I'll quote myself, because I when I was there, I noticed them doing it with proper names too. I don't disagree with you completely ... but I also really like the gentle, polite stubbornness.
I'm afraid we're going to have to disagree here, I find the butchering neither gentle nor polite.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
As someone who is English, he's still mispronouncing names. It's one thing to mangle place names because that's how they've been pronounced for ages in one's particular dialect, e.g. saying Pariss instead of giving it the French pronunciation, it's another to do it to personal names when hired as a commentator for an international stream. Matsuike as an example is a name which consists entirely of sounds that are found in Chris' variety of English, and alternating between Matsooka and Matsooky is just not putting in the effort. I can forgive speakers for getting names wrong when they don't have the sounds (e.g. clicks) in their native languages; I can forgive speakers for bungling names in foreign languages when first encountering them, because we all do that (my family name is constantly butchered, and I have done terrible things to students' names, usually by putting stress in the wrong place ahahaha); but I do think that international commentators could at least try a bit harder.
This a thousand times, look up (insert language) phonology or at least ask around. I'm a language nerd and a person who is obsessed with names and naming (comes from me being a writer I suppose) and I just cannot stand being wrong with names myself