Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Kana Muramoto & Daisuke Takahashi

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Happy Birthday to the inimitable, fabulous Dai-chan! 🎈 🎂 🥂 🐅

Thank you for giving us countless reasons to fall in love with your performances again and again – it is a great pleasure to witness your continuous “super-evolution”, sir! Wishing you many more healthy years to pursue your passions to your heart’s content! 💕

Kana and Johnny Johns already congratulated Dai in Japan time (🥰 his cute reaction):

[ig story expired]

Last edited:

yugra

Rinkside
Country
Hungary
Happy Birthday, dear Dai!
I respect and honor your talent so much - you have a precious gift.
I wish you successful further self-improvement and realization of all your projects!

"Because perfection doesn’t have limits!"
Jonathan Livingston Seagull. Richard Bach

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Per Kana's ig story they arrived in France, but they reportedly didn't attend official practices today.

• Meanwhile the ISU published a new article with several interesting quotes by Kana and Dai:

Muramoto/Takahashi leave their future plans open at this point. “Now I feel I can do ice dance at that level,” he shared. “I think I want to know more about Ice Dance but keeping up as a competitor at the same time is really hard. I just love to perform, that is where my heart is in. Being a performer and being a competitor and perform is a little different. However, if I compete, I gain more experience every day, more competitions is a positive thing. Our main goal every time is to take it step by step. Going into Worlds, it's our first time to compete with the World teams and that will be the first time to see where we are at in the world. After competing at Worlds and see where we place I will feel if I want to continue. It will be very clear,” he explained.

Takahashi can count on Muramoto in whatever direction he wants to go. “I love Ice Dance, I love competing. If he decides that it is not for him, then that it's for me, too. He is my last partner, there is no one else I would skate with. Whatever his decision, I respect that. We also can create programs at ice shows,” she said.

“I think we'll know after Worlds. We'll see where our heart is, but we definitely love to perform, we love Ice Dance,” Daisuke concluded.

• A couple of days ago a brief video feature on the occasion of KanaDai's worlds debut was published on the youtube channel of Fuji TV Sports. (The feature was initially supposed to be shown on TV on Dai's birthday, but was taken out of the programme because of the earthquake.)

The following article summarizes the video:

ETA:

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
White Soran Bushi at practice this morning 🥰:

Lift:

Run-through:

I see at least three subtle changes to the choreo. The one in the MB (transition between KP1/2 and KP3) is a bit strange imo (they were out of synch on the leg tuck).

ETA:

"A Q&A before the World Championships"

DeepL translation:

Muramoto, Takahashi pair: 'I was surprised at how hard the ice was', 'I'm halfway to 40...' - A question and answer before the start of the World Championships.

[ 22 Mar 2022 20:11 ]

The ice dance team of Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi (KFSC Kansai University) adjusted on the rink for the World Championships, which start tomorrow (23 May). The pair, in their second season together, won a silver medal at the Four Continents Championships in January this year, despite missing out on the Beijing Olympics. After practice on the day, they gave their first press interview since arriving in the country and spoke about their enthusiasm, etc. as follows.

The Muramoto-Takahashi pair and their question-and-answer session:

--How does the ice feel on the rink for the real thing?

Takahashi: "It's hard. I was surprised at how hard it was. I think I'll get used to it. It was so hard that I wondered if the singles skaters would be okay (laughs)."

Muramoto: "At first, I tried to push the moment I got on the ice, but it bounced back. I thought the atmosphere at the venue was amazingly wonderful."

--When did you arrive?

Takahashi: "We arrived yesterday afternoon."

--Do you feel tired?

Takahashi: "No particular problems."

--[Please comment on attending the] world championships after a long time respectively.

Muramoto: "It's a feeling I haven't had in a long time, or perhaps for the first time, but I haven't quite grasped it myself yet. I'm excited to finally compete against the world. People around me say, "Long time no see", "How have you been?" On the one hand, I'm happy to hear that, but on the other hand, people around me have improved from four years ago. I feel like I'm looking forward to competing against teams from around the world."

Takahashi: "It's been nine years for me, but I'm in a different category. Some of the members I'm with are people I used to watch on TV. I'm not a beginner, but that's how I feel. I feel completely new and excited. I think I'm enjoying the experience and the feeling."

--Is it definite that you will be dressed in white?

Takahashi: 'It is not definite. We're allowed to wear it today (laughs). It's up to Marina."

--What about strengthening after the Four Continents Championships?

Muramoto: "(What we've been practising) is GOE, or how many points we can extract. How much we can do carefully."

Takahashi: "Mostly minor corrections. The only major change was to one of the lifts in the free programme."

--Watching the Komatsubara pair's performance at the Olympics.

Muramoto: "The team gave a great performance and did what they could now. I remember I was also very nervous at my first Olympics. In that sense, I feel that they were able to do it calmly. In the individual competition, I think it was frustrating that they didn't make it to the free programme. But I think they did what they could do well."

Takahashi: "I think they were able to showcase their best at the Olympics. I think they gave it their all. I hope we can give 100% at the World Championships. In that sense, I was inspired, and I think I have to try not to lose."

--Thoughts on the Olympics as a whole.

Takahashi: "We had set our sights on the top 10, but I had a tremendous feeling that the top 10 [at the Olympics] was amazing. I felt that we couldn't easily break into the top 10. I felt again how high the world level is, but it also gave me motivation to want to break into the top 10."

--What are your goals for this tournament?

Muramoto: "I've been saying for a long time that the top 10 is a big goal, although it's difficult and the barriers are high. The most important goal is really to give our best and best performance."

--Takahashi is now 36 years old. What has changed?

Takahashi: "I haven't changed, but I feel like I'm halfway to 40 (laughs).

--What kind of year do you want to have?

Takahashi: "For now, the World Championships is our major goal. I have the feeling that I want to give everything I have in this World Championships, rather than just this one year."

--Again, what are your goals for this year's competition?

Muramoto: "I want to skate with all my might and without regrets. We believe in what we have done and what we have practised."

Takahashi: "Don't be scared. I want to enjoy this precious time of the World Championships with the feeling that it's okay to make mistakes."

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Yesterday's RD practice run-through:

Thank you so very much to the uploader! :pray: Keep an eye on their channel - there are frequent updates!

Lift:

I'm impressed with their new RoLi in the FD (all of their lifts look solid in practice me thinks :)):

Here's their FD run-through on the 22nd:

They will be the last team to go in the 4th group tomorrow. I have all my limbs crossed that they can finish the last outing of Soran Bushi with a bright smile! Go KanaDai!!! :hap10:

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Oh no a big mistake on the twizzles from Dai well at least he did not fall. 67.77. Not the score they were hoping for. They qualify for the FD. They have had problems with the RD last 3 times they competed.

In an interview before Worlds Dai said he will make a decision after the WC. He said he loves skating and performing but not so much competing. Kana then responded to that and said Dai would be her last partner.

I fear if they do not get the 2 spots for Japan this may be their last season together. Dai has a lot of
opportunities to do other things that he has put on hold for the past two years,
and he may want a more relaxed life, can't blame him.

We still have their beautiful FD to come. No matter what decision they make it has been a fun ride for us fans and they are so lovely to watch on the ice. If this chapter is over for Dai and Kana they can look back and be proud of their accomplishments and know that they have delighted their many fans.

yugra

Rinkside
Country
Hungary
Anyway, we all know they can do their tough job better than they do today.

Ok, screw this mistakes. I want to see their FD!
Only they give me what I need.
Only they possess exactly the style of movement and the interaction between the partners I want to see from the ice dance.
Certainly, they brighten up this competitions.

Let us go forward in hope.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Comments after today’s performance:

“We were confident and calm although there was that mistake. We put our soul into it,” Takahashi stated. “Aside from my twizzle, after seeing the score sheet, there were some things where we missed our levels. The mental aspect affected the mistake. In the five-minute warmup it didn’t go well and the second twizzle was always a concern, so my bad. That’s my weakness.”

“In the warmup, when our name was called and when the audience heard the name ‘Daisuke Takahashi,’ I really felt that I am skating with a legendary skater and we were able to skate in the second half among the top skaters,” Muramoto remarked.

“I am really happy we are able to be here and can skate our free dance. We are not there yet, but will focus on performing with everything we’ve got.”

On a positive note – let’s talk about how Kana was one out of only three skaters to receive a level4 on the PSt today (the other two being Gui and Maddy H.!) :clap:

In an interview before Worlds Dai said he will make a decision after the WC. He said he loves skating and performing but not so much competing. Kana then responded to that and said Dai would be her last partner.

The full quotes are in post #410 :):

Muramoto/Takahashi leave their future plans open at this point. “Now I feel I can do ice dance at that level,” he shared. “I think I want to know more about Ice Dance but keeping up as a competitor at the same time is really hard. I just love to perform, that is where my heart is in. Being a performer and being a competitor and perform is a little different. However, if I compete, I gain more experience every day, more competitions is a positive thing. Our main goal every time is to take it step by step. Going into Worlds, it's our first time to compete with the World teams and that will be the first time to see where we are at in the world. After competing at Worlds and see where we place I will feel if I want to continue. It will be very clear,” he explained.

Takahashi can count on Muramoto in whatever direction he wants to go. “I love Ice Dance, I love competing. If he decides that it is not for him, then that it's for me, too. He is my last partner, there is no one else I would skate with. Whatever his decision, I respect that. We also can create programs at ice shows,” she said.

“I think we'll know after Worlds. We'll see where our heart is, but we definitely love to perform, we love Ice Dance,” Daisuke concluded.

Tbh I’ll be very sad, if they call it a day after just getting started. This is only Dai’s 2nd season in the discipline and at their first WC together it looks very likely they'll finish in the top 15. They posted the highest scores in Japanese id history this season and won a historic silver medal at 4CC. If they continue they can go pretty far. Top 10 could realistically be within reach in 1-2 years and atm there is no other id team in Japan that can place this high at Worlds. Maybe Japan will then have another promising young team that would benefit from a 2nd spot. Kana and Dai are also a beloved team with international audiences – I’m sure lots of fans would be heartbroken, if they quit so soon. Not to mention their immense artistic potential. Their RD was such a brilliantly innovative creation. I'm sure they would keep bringing a fresh take to the sport. Yes, they can create interesting exhibitions, but these won’t be seen by as many people. In competitions their impact will be higher.

I’m sure whatever happens, Dai will probably take all sorts of angles into consideration and follow his heart in the end. Let's not forget that he said in the 4CC press conference that, even if they can't promise anything yet, they feel motivated to stand in the middle of the podium in the future and to skate different (competitive) programs. Also, Worlds is in Saitama next year! :)

As a fan, I’ll keep supporting him and Kana in whatever they do next. Let’s wait and see! :ghug:

Inside skating put it well:

Sending Kana and Dai an awful lot of love for the FD! ❤️

Last edited:

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Another article by Nick McCarvel incl. Kana’s and Dai’s post skate comments:

https://olympics.com/en/news/ice-dance-debut-world-championships-takahashi-daisuke-belong-2022

Interview in English 🤗:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSD0zBXR_jY

RD (with Ted Barton’s commentary):

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

I translated Sigi Heinrich’s and Hendryk Schamberger‘s commentary from German Eurosport – they had a lot of good things to say:

[During 5-min. warm-up:]

Hendryk: And now the team I'm extremely excited about – Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi. I haven't seen them yet.

Sigi: Daisuke Takahashi – that's quite a crazy story.

Hendryk: I don’t know anyone so highly decorated, who has changed disciplines and then so late. That is absolutely unique. And also his partner Muramoto had actually already quit. Of course Daisuke Takahashi as a singles skater was an incredibly fascinating skater. World champion in 2010. 12 years ago he was world champion. Then ended his career in 2014, then came back in 2018, but initially as a singles skater. And he probably saw that the competition didn't sleep and wasn't sure whether he would be able to prevail again and then in 2020 he switched to ice dancing. [Who’s gonna tell Hendryk that Kana talked Dai into taking up ice dance? 😁] And here he is at the World Championships and I'm extremely excited.

Sigi: Wasn't he also a bronze medallist at the 2010 Olympic Games? I think so.

Hendryk: Exactly, yes. It was Lysacek, Plushenko and Takahashi. Right.

[After the RD during replay:]

Sigi: And yet they collect almost 38 points. Of course, one thing is clear – the music probably takes some getting used to for most of the judges. Japanese hip hop or Japanese blues - I've never heard that before and you have to get used to it a bit. But I think it's great that they have created the RD so authentically.

Hendryk: I think so too. I had no idea what Japanese blues and hip hop sounded like, but now I do and I think it's great that they went that way. The elements didn't all work out. Especially in the twizzle, he lost a lot of points, but still, you just notice his individual skating class in every step. Of course, ice dancing is different and you notice that he has difficulties adapting or is not 100% there yet, but what a charismatic couple.

Sigi: Yes, that's exactly it and that's what Daisuke Takahashi always embodied as a singles skater! He had an incredible presence even when he was on the ice on his own and of course now he has to adapt a bit here, but I think he does it well.

Hendryk: He's doing extremely well for such a short time. Sometimes you notice that he has to concentrate during some passages/elements.

Sigi: Like here for example. [when the replay of the twizzle mishap was shown]

Hendryk: Exactly, that was the mistake. It definitely cost some points. It's probably still going to be enough for them [to qualify for the FD], but if it hadn't been for that, they could have even taken the lead. You can see in some parts [of the program] that he's not quite there yet, maybe he's a bit unsure, but for the most part he has such a presence as a part of a team as well. If he improves, becomes even more confident in the ice dance elements, then it can become something really good.

Sigi: I can imagine that at the beginning, when he started as an ice dancer, he had a tough time with the twizzles. Because he didn't grow up with [having to do] twizzles, the boy [he said “der Bub”, which is an expression for a young/adolescent male person / or in this case considerably younger than the speaker 😉]. But still, maybe it's enough [to qualify for the FD].

[When the score came up:]

Sigi: That's easily enough!

Hendryk: Super! Q! Wow, what more can they achieve! What potential is there still!

Sigi: Great! I'll see him again, the grandmaster/great master ["Großmeister"] from a few of years back!

Last edited: