2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skatelife

On the Ice
I agree I enjoyed Elizaveta's free and felt more connection there than the short yesterday. Even with the mistakes I was still able to enjoy her skate. I really like this program for her. She is struggling with illness right now so I didn't expect super clean jumps but I appreciated what she was able to give.

I thought Adelia almost had the quad loop down after nailing it at Senior RUSNATS and landing it clean earlier today in the warm-up but I guess it is not stable for her yet. I am also happy she has her 4T back. I am not super in love with the free program and prefer her current short as well as last season's free but I do like it and it can work as the season progresses.

Wow, Akatieva's 3A was the most comfortable I've seen her land it in a while! Usually her landings scare me a bit (especially at the warm-up with that very bad fall onto her face), but that was a great landing for her here. I wish her more smooth 3A landings. Beautiful!

Yes, it seems most of the olympic champs from Russia had the 3lz+3loop combo down. It may be Sofia S's secret weapon to getting gold unless everyone else also adapts and gets a 3lz+3loop (right now it's only Anna and Sasha with 3lz-3loop combo actively expected to skate in the Russian GPs). The competition will be closer than ever this season which hasn't happened in a while.

I don't think anyone is going to push 3-4+ ultra-c jumps in the free this season as recoveries are still happening with most of the girls capable of pushing 3 or more ultra-c in the free alone (Kami, Sasha, Sofia S, and Anna---maybe Adelia but her 4F, and 3A are not stable and have not landed successfully in comp). I do agree that it might just be up to the most clean and difficult 2 ultra-c's landed in the free and whoever has the upper hand in the short. Right now for the short Sofia S and Liza are looking the most stable in terms of having the edge or boost with their clean 3A. They may have the lead in the short program in tech---as for PCS that is up in the air. This season will be exciting :)
Something interesting I read from Kamila, she has the Lutz loop, but they use it to gain rotating speed to prepare quads

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Everyone has been saying for years they'd like to watch skating without Russians for one reason or another.

They finally get their wish, but Russian test skates is all they want to talk about. What are they going to be like when the season actually starts?
I’m all for competition. The fed should have scheduled a few of their GP’s the exact same time as ISU’s. Then we will see what’s up.

100K for the FS. An unscored event in case anyone forgot. I made mention in another post that I bet more than one person that “boycotted“ the ladies fired up the stream. Probably started with one eye and gradually opened the other one. Haha

Russian ladies is where the action is. And where the action will be for a while.

Amei

Record Breaker
I’m all for competition. The fed should have scheduled a few of their GP’s the exact same time as ISU’s. Then we will see what’s up.

100K for the FS. An unscored event in case anyone forgot. I made mention in another post that I bet more than one person that “boycotted“ the ladies fired up the stream. Probably started with one eye and gradually opened the other one. Haha

Russian ladies is where the action is. And where the action will be for a while.

*I hope this is okay to say in this thread....my guess on why they aren't explicitly trying to go toe-to-toe in the event times is because the Russian Fed wants to get their skaters back into ISU competitions and scheduling them at the same time might ruffle too many feathers. I'm sure sponsors see the difference in counts as well as the ISU who is bleeding money.

Amei

Record Breaker
Something interesting I read from Kamila, she has the Lutz loop, but they use it to gain rotating speed to prepare quads

Well might have some fact behind that - Shcherbakova has always had good rotational speed and a pretty reliable lutz-loop combination.

I figured they might've started working on it to replace 1 of her combinations because she has that bad tendency to rock on her edge between jumps, which I believe is a negative GOE this season, just the mechanics of a combination with the second jump being a loop means that rock between the 2 jumps can't happen.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*I hope this is okay to say in this thread....my guess on why they aren't explicitly trying to go toe-to-toe in the event times is because the Russian Fed wants to get their skaters back into ISU competitions and scheduling them at the same time might ruffle too many feathers. I'm sure sponsors see the difference in counts as well as the ISU who is bleeding money.
I do agree with your reasoning.

I‘m wondering how long before the defections begin and someone from outside of Russia will enter one of these domestic GP events down the road.

Although the events will be great, Anna missing from them will be sad.

Skatelife

On the Ice
It's obvious the popularity of the Russians, everybody is talking about test, every skating YouTube channel is getting their clicks from the Russian test skates, for me is funny go to pages like TSL,and see that every post realated to Russians has a lot of comments, and other posts realated to the ISU competitions 2 o 3 comments, nobody is talking about the world champion debut this season, it seems all those people saying they are happy without Russians, still secretly are watching them.
Before the videos were shutdown, the Kamila's SP had 100 k and the the FP 250 K in a few hours... Just saying.

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's obvious the popularity of the Russian, everybody is talking about test, every skating YouTube channel is getting their clicks from the Russian test skates, for me is funny go to pages like TSL,and see that every post realated to Russians has a lot of comments, and other posts realated to the ISU competitions 2 o 3 comments, nobody is talking about the world champion debut this season, it seems all those people saying they are happy without Russians, still secretly are watching them.
Before the videos were shutdown, the Kamila's SP had 100 k and the the FP 250 K in a few hours... Just saying.
Well, with all these views, attention, and comments on them, I think we can safely say that the secret hasn‘t been well kept at all.

I think the famous Ric Flair question is appropriate here:

ric-flair-whats-causing-all-this.gif

I was able to sneak in a Ric Flair reference in Russian ladies figure skating. Don‘t think I’ll be able to ever top this.

Lurker11

On the Ice
It's funny you mention professional wrestling because the large video screens where they entered the rink, general promotion leading up to the practice event, interviews, all the drama, was more along the lines of a Wrestlemania than a skating event. I'm sure next year they'll start having pyrotechnics. Maybe turn off the all the lights as Kamila puts the hood over head that would be cool.

Meanwhile the ISU Challenger event was on at the same time at what looked like my local rink with a few dozen people in attendance.

There would be no shame in the ISU going to the Russian skating federation and asking how can we promote our sport better, how can we engage audiences like you do, how can we stop losing money. Skaters will have bigger profiles, more sponsors, bigger prizes. Everyone wins.

When the time is right, Eteri should take her show through western Europe, maybe to the US now that the Russian skating federation has done such a good job of raising the profile of their skaters internationally.

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany

we can like the girls , what most dont like is the blatant scoring for them . when points are not take off for faults from them but from other skaters from other countries they do get taken. thazs what many dont like the blatant overlooking of things like prerotation.and a lot of it. wrong edge , full blade take off by jumps that should not have full blade take off ect ect.

Amei

Record Breaker
we can like the girls , what most dont like is the blatant scoring for them . when points are not take off for faults from them but from other skaters from other countries they do get taken. thazs what many dont like the blatant overlooking of things like prerotation.and a lot of it. wrong edge , full blade take off by jumps that should not have full blade take off ect ect.

Prerotation according to the rules can only be looked at in regular speed and pre-rotation is hard to catch at regular speed and the Russian girls are not the only skaters that have edge/take-off issues that get overlooked.

Skatelife

On the Ice
Seems the Russian ladies are the only ones with flaws, reality can be watched now, how weak the field is, only a few skaters from others countries have the complete set of triples, and still they struggle to maximize the base value, almost any skater present in the test skates could win Nebelhorn by a mile for instance even with flaws

Last edited:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Everyone has been saying for years they'd like to watch skating without Russians for one reason or another.

They finally get their wish, but Russian test skates is all they want to talk about. What are they going to be like when the season actually starts?
All I know is, I have zero interest in watching any weakened competitions without Russians. Why bother with subpar talents when you can watch competitions with at least, what, 12? of the actual top 20 skaters in the World? I'm sure there are people who just love to see Gracie skate a 45 short program and 93 long program, but neh, I'm interested in seeing the best compete against the best, so I'm sticking with only Russian competitions until the ban is lifted. Not my loss. My gain. In other words, I feel my time is better served watching Varsity level versus Junior Varsity at the Senior level. If I read of a great skate from a skater of another country like Japan I'd just YT that performance. I couldn't stand to watch an competition with "the best" really just being in the minor leagues talent pool.

Last edited:

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Kseniia Sinitsyna has tried pairs, but she stays in singles.

Amei

Record Breaker
All I know is, I have zero interest in watching any weakened competitions without Russians. Why bother with subpar talents when you can watch competitions with at least, what, 12? of the actual top 20 skaters in the World? I'm sure there are people who just love to see Gracie skate a 45 short program and 93 long program, but neh, I'm interested in seeing the best compete against the best, so I'm sticking with only Russian competitions until the ban is lifted. Not my loss. My gain. In other words, I feel my time is better served watching Varsity level versus Junior Varsity at the Senior level. If I read of a great skate from a skater of another country like Japan I'd just YT that performance. I couldn't stand to watch an competition with "the best" really just being in the minor leagues talent pool.

Based on the thread in the Edge, if I wanted to watch the ISU competitions it would be a difficult task to do where I live (the US); major props to the Russian Fed that they make so many of their competitions from the minor 'city' competitions to the competitions with their headliners easily accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.