Stars on Ice Canada 2023 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice Canada 2023

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2023 Canadian Stars on Ice (preliminary) cast and tour dates have been announced.

The skaters so far are:

Kurt Browning
Patrick Chan
Elvis Stojko
Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier
Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Jason Brown

The locations:

The inclusion of American skaters makes me wonder if the American SOI will have fewer dates or simply not include these skaters. :scratch2:

Apple1078

Final Flight
The 2023 Canadian Stars on Ice (preliminary) cast and tour dates have been announced.

The skaters so far are:

Kurt Browning
Patrick Chan
Elvis Stojko
Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier
Alexa Knierim and Brandon Frazier
Jason Brown

The locations: https://www.starsonice.ca/buy-tickets

The inclusion of American skaters makes me wonder if the American SOI will have fewer dates or simply not include these skaters. :scratch2:
Yeah I've been wondering the same but come to think of it, quite a few of the Americans from last year like Nathan, Vincent and Karen as well as some of the new seniors like Ilia and Isabeau will be in school in April/May.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm, tempted to go to Vancouver or Victoria to actually see Patrick Chan perform... But will I have enough money after I go to Worlds? Hmm...

I wonder how expensive the meet and greet tickets will be... I guess I'll find out tomorrow...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick is worth the trip if you have never seen him skate live..... however, in my case, i will not bother with stars on ice until they come back to la belle province.......... It is not the first time they skip Quebec... and they have received many complaints about this already on various social media platform, and have yet to learn that there is a gigantic piece of land between Ontario and the Maritimes where many skaters train and live and where many fans are just waiting for them to show up....

noskates

Record Breaker
From many, many years of attending Stars on Ice (living in the SF Bay Area) the company has very little to say about where or when they perform. They're competing with professional basketball and hockey for arenas, dates that are available, etc. I used to get irate because the show stopped in San Jose on Mother's Day every year. My family did not appreciate it. But that was the only date available to SOI in that area in that timeframe. So I don't think SOI is deliberately ignoring a town or area.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If anyone wants the presale code it's Stars23, good thru tomorrow 12/8.

Ticket prices run from $45 to over $200 for on ice seats and $100 for meet and greet passes. All prices in Canadian dollars.

I thought about flying up to Toronto to see the show as the exchange rate is pretty good but throwing in airfare and hotel, I'd rather save for Montreal Worlds.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
From many, many years of attending Stars on Ice (living in the SF Bay Area) the company has very little to say about where or when they perform. They're competing with professional basketball and hockey for arenas, dates that are available, etc. I used to get irate because the show stopped in San Jose on Mother's Day every year. My family did not appreciate it. But that was the only date available to SOI in that area in that timeframe. So I don't think SOI is deliberately ignoring a town or area.
That is the common excuse used but if, at times, it can be a factor, it's often simply not true.

1) The Bell Center only has ONE professional team, no basketball here... If anything, some of the other towns on the tour have more professional sports teams sharing their venue.... It hosts many concerts, even Disney on Ice, Cirque du Soleil... etc You can look for yourself the varied events offered. It is not even booked solid, including around the tour dates. https://centrebell.ca/en/events
From my experience with venues that host a regular pro team or cultural organization, the main renter has the priority on dates. Other dates get release as their games/season is confirmed. As the pro teams seasons are often similar from year to year, the smaller renters like Cirque du Soleil for instance, will book the time left off by NHL during XMAS etc etc... Stars on ICE has shows in Canada and the USA, it's not like they do not know how to manage booking venues. I could accept that once in a while, there may be a conflict with one venue (but as i said, there are more than one options available for the show, and more than one city to present it) but then, they would simply need to put holds on dates for the following years.. These things are not planned a couple weeks ahead.. they are often planned months and years ahead... Also, with recurring tours, venue's managers love having them come back year after year as it is steady and good income... So to me, it simply looks like poor planning from Stars on Ice... or worse, no real will to make a stop in Quebec (i won't go into speculation why they may do that... )

2) There is more than one venue in the entire province that would be just as fine and would even compare well with some of the smaller cities proposed.... I have been to SCI in Laval which was a brand new venue and would make a great place to host SOI. There are a few smaller rinks as well in Montreal and definite options in Quebec city ( and 2-3 other cities in between).

3) When there is a will, there is a way. The issue with Stars on Ice is that they KEEP on skipping Quebec. The last time they showed up IIRC was in 2018, when they made a huge tour to celebrate the Canadian medals at the games.. and it was already a rare sighting.... IT WAS a SOLD OUT event in Montreal. The fans are there. The skating community is strong too. I keep seeing complaints about it on the various Stars on Ice social media accounts... I personally have written to them (no reply). They just do NOT seem to care.

4) Your post seems to imply that there is something in the "area" one could attend because you know.. you can go to San Jose if San Fran doesn't work out etc... Well, Quebec is about 4 times larger than California. The distance from Ottawa to Moncton, the two stops "bordering" Quebec is 730+ driving miles ( i was nice, I did the conversion from KMS )... It may be fine for some to get to Ottawa if they live across the river or even for those in Montreal with a + 2 hour drive (or a 3 hour long bus ride) (though if I have done that myself for Nationals, I wouldn't do it for a one evening show as that's a heck of a commute for a skating show to do in the same evening) but what about those living all across the province? The reality is that every year, many people in Quebec are let down.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If anyone wants the presale code it's Stars23, good thru tomorrow 12/8.

Ticket prices run from $45 to over $200 for on ice seats and $100 for meet and greet passes. All prices in Canadian dollars.

I thought about flying up to Toronto to see the show as the exchange rate is pretty good but throwing in airfare and hotel, I'd rather save for Montreal Worlds.
Not worth it in my opinion... i mean, unless you really love shows more than competitions... It's a lot of money to watch triple toes and 2 axels :) a couple scratch spins and headbangers ;) I am obviously not happy I don't get to see Patrick :) especially since he was going to do a special thing a 2020 worlds... will they get him back in 2024? Hopefully..

Of course, attending worlds makes more sense, the expenses would be a big higher but spread over a 3-4 day skating holiday.. rather than a one evening show.

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not worth it in my opinion... i mean, unless you really love shows more than competitions... It's a lot of money to watch triple toes and 2 axels :) a couple scratch spins and headbangers ;) I am obviously not happy I don't get to see Patrick :) especially since he was going to do a special thing a 2020 worlds... will they get him back in 2023? Hopefully..

Of course, attending worlds makes more sense, the expenses would be a big higher but spread over a 3-4 day skating holiday.. rather than a one evening show.
Yeah, I would have probably wanted to spend the weekend in Toronto and do more sightseeing, not just go for one night and that would get expensive. Plus I plan to go back there in September for the film festival so I'll get my fill then. Montreal Worlds actually doesn't look that bad in terms of price - hotels are much less expensive than Boston (for 2025). I have a credit with Air Canada from 2020 that I can apply to my flights.

I hope they announce some US dates too, although with Jason on the Canadian tour, I might not go to the US one. He was the highlight for me this past SOI. Depends on the cast.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Great line up of skaters. Katelyn Weaver made an interesting comment while commentating at Canadian Nationals, when asked if she and Andrew would be back on Stars on Ice. She said "no, Stars is taking a different direction". I wonder if it's because Paul and Piper will be featured.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great line up of skaters. Katelyn Weaver made an interesting comment while commentating at Canadian Nationals, when asked if she and Andrew would be back on Stars on Ice. She said "no, Stars is taking a different direction". I wonder if it's because Paul and Piper will be featured.

Piper and Paul are also in the US cast for SOI. The US SOI has not had "non-American" skaters in some time, so that is a good move. :hap10:

mrrice

Record Breaker
This was true when I was touring with Up With People. The show planners send brochures and contact information to venues. We did perform at La Rhode but, we weren't booked into any big Venues until we went to Toronto. We did stay at hotel in Montreal and the city was beautiful. Sadly, they didn't book us.

Last edited:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
**Beatrice awaits info from work about supposed extra money that was promised and if it goes through, Canada should possibly see Beatrice visiting it in May, probably with gifts to all cast**

how wonderful :D does Beatrice have a city in mind?