2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Short Program | Page 35 | Golden Skate

2023 World Figure Skating Championships Women's Short Program

yesterday

Record Breaker
So folks, making lunch now
cu

giphy.gif

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
As usual, Loena treated with loving kindness by the panel/judges. Anyone else would have been spanked more thoroughly by the panel/judges for that combo mistake, and lower PCS. Bah.

ETA: They badly wanted her in the last flight for the FS.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I am going to throw up my dinner now, I don't think I'll be able to watch live tomorrow (stupid real life and work) so I trust you all to cheer for my darling for me. Thank you all for keeping me company, love you all

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Oh drat. I just realised that I got my American skaters mixed up when I was making out my predictions. This isn't the skater that I had in my head when I took Bradie out of my Top 5.

If I had realised it was this skater, I would have kept her there!

Now I'm trying to work out who it was that I was thinking of...

CaroLiza_fan

Had to have been Amber Glenn.

No, it was somebody with dark hair that I was thinking of. That's how I realised my mistake.

I don't follow American skating, so I am forever getting them mixed up when they appear at the international competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

Isabeau? She's the only one I can think of who'd have dark hair and be here (she is here I think?) Hope she's feeling good after the 4CCs.

No. It was somebody that has been around for a good while that I was thinking of. It'll come to me eventually, and I'll think I'm stupid for not realising.

And anyway, with the way Isabeau has been skating the past few years, there was no way I was going to keep her out of my Top 5!

CaroLiza_fan

I've finally worked it out!

It was Mariah Bell that I had in my head!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Mariah Bell retired!

Ah, didn't know that.

And that in itself shows you how much I follow American skating.

But, whether somebody is still competing or not doesn't actually matter when it comes to me being stupid and mixing people up! :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

macy

Record Breaker
just went back and watched Isabeau, i do think she was gifted GOE wise. 3s and 4s with her labored jump takeoff and decrease in speed before she's in the air is very generous. i think she should be neck and neck with Loena.

it doesn't seem the judges are back on board with Bradie yet, its like she needs to put in her time again and prove herself. i don't think she should have been 8 points behind Isabeau. i realize she had a couple q's, however i think she was pretty lowballed in PCS.

Last edited:

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Great job all. Haein, Mai, and Isabella/Isabeau essential tied for second. Loena two points off podium 6- 9 around 6-8 points off not insurmountable. Anyone can medal but if all skaters that are basically tied skate well . It will be difficult to podium. Good Karori in a 6 point lead not insurmountable. But if she does skate well , I can't see her not retaining her title.

readernick

Medalist
just went back and watched Isabeau, i do think she was gifted GOE wise. 3s and 4s with her labored jump takeoff and decrease in speed before she's in the air is very generous. i think she should be neck and neck with Loena.

it doesn't seem the judges are back on board with Bradie yet, its like she needs to put in her time again and prove herself. i don't think she should have been 8 points behind Isabeau. i realize she had a couple q's, however i think she was pretty lowballed in PCS.
She was lowballed and the technical calling was very strict in the early groups and less strict for the last group. But, unfortunately, that is what always happens. Hopefully, the judges will be more on her side in the freeskate when she is in the second to last group.

badknees

Medalist
Absolutely loving the Japanese audience. NO cat calling, yelling or screaming as the U.S. audience did for the U.S. nationals.
I so wish the screaming thing had not taken hold as what appears to be the new "proper" conduct for many types of performances.

macy

Record Breaker
She was lowballed and the technical calling was very strict in the early groups and less strict for the last group. But, unfortunately, that is what always happens. Hopefully, the judges will be more on her side in the freeskate when she is in the second to last group.
yes, unfortunately skating earlier never does anyone any favors. i hope she builds on this momentum next season.

macy

Record Breaker
Absolutely loving the Japanese audience. NO cat calling, yelling or screaming as the U.S. audience did for the U.S. nationals.
I so wish the screaming thing had not taken hold as what appears to be the new "proper" conduct for many types of performances.
there are different cultural norms in the US vs somewhere like Japan. that's pretty normal for US nationals as many families and friends of the skaters and also skating clubs filled with kids from around the country attend. it's generally not seen as disrespectful, but is a less serious way of showing support and can help take the edge off for competitors. some competitors even try to view nationals as a big party in order to not bog themselves down with stress.

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Question if Isabeau Levitovmedals would she be the first American woman to medal in her world debut? Is their another skater? I think Ilia Malinin would be second or did the men in from 1950- 1960 medal in their debut? Didn't the Kennedy's medal in their world debut also?