2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating | Page 70 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimR

On the Ice
Looking at Valieva in the Almaty show the 3Lz is a huge problem now. She's avoided it for the most part in the shows.

Ever since the GP final where she had a bruise on that knee and was falling over on the lutz in the warm up (she basically hadn't made an error on a triple all season apart from with ultra-c until that point), she has struggled with mostly the lutz, and to a degree the flip. She'll land the flip but often struggle to finish a clean combo or it won't be a clean landing by her high standard.

The way her knee is taped I think maybe she's got something like jumper's knee, maybe she has pain so can't get enough power from her right leg when jumping the lutz or flip. Funnily enough can land the 4T consistently and looks as magnificent as it has ever been.

I think she needs to be careful over the summer to not lose any more conditioning. I don't think her experiment with the Tuktk approach to diet and conditioning is working. Tuktik is a lot shorter and genetically predisposed to staying slim and petite even with some indulgences. It's probably normal growth as well, but Kamila admits she indulged over the summer and wasn't even sure if she would continue. She called the Russian Nationals performance a 'competitive miracle'. It was heroic what she achieved with the burden she was carrying.

Her skating skills have really gone downhill since early in the year (it's imperceptible if you're not paying close attention or not comparing to performances like in the GP group stages). The GP final compared to the GP stages is like a different skater, and somewhat apparent in the shows. I don't know if it's a lack of practice, injury, pain, effect of medication, maybe just burned out. But I've watched her closely enough to know something is not right. Her programs were much sharper at test skates than at the end of the season.

I think she might struggle next season. Maybe coming away with one bronze from the Russian Nationals and GP final will be a big achievement (nothing wrong with that when you're against the best skaters in history). It's been a long season and she has been involved in shows going back to July last year (I think she's starting shows in July this year as well). Ironically an extended break forced upon her might be just what she needs -- assuming she can maintain close to peak fitness and weight during that break. I imagine she is mentally and physically exhausted.

Akatieva looks so strong in the shows. I think she jumped a 4T+3T in her program. It's becoming so easy for her now.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
Looking at Valieva in the Almaty show the 3Lz is a huge problem now. She's avoided it for the most part in the shows.

Ever since the GP final where she had a bruise on that knee and was falling over on the lutz in the warm up (she basically hadn't made an error on a triple all season apart from with ultra-c until that point), she has struggled with mostly the lutz, and to a degree the flip. She'll land the flip but often struggle to finish a clean combo or it won't be a clean landing by her high standard.

The way her knee is taped I think maybe she's got something like jumper's knee, maybe she has pain so can't get enough power from her right leg when jumping the lutz or flip. Funnily enough can land the 4T consistently and looks as magnificent as it has ever been.

I think she needs to be careful over the summer to not lose any more conditioning. I don't think her experiment with the Tuktk approach to diet and conditioning is working. Tuktik is a lot shorter and genetically predisposed to staying slim and petite even with some indulgences. It's probably normal growth as well, but Kamila admits she indulged over the summer and wasn't even sure if she would continue. She called the Russian Nationals performance a 'competitive miracle'. It was heroic what she achieved with the burden she was carrying.

Her skating skills have really gone downhill since early in the year (it's imperceptible if you're not paying close attention or not comparing to performances like in the GP group stages). The GP final compared to the GP stages is like a different skater, and somewhat apparent in the shows. I don't know if it's a lack of practice, injury, pain, effect of medication, maybe just burned out. But I've watched her closely enough to know something is not right. Her programs were much sharper at test skates than at the end of the season.

I think she might struggle next season. Maybe coming away with one bronze from the Russian Nationals and GP final will be a big achievement (nothing wrong with that when you're against the best skaters in history). It's been a long season and she has been involved in shows going back to July last year (I think she's starting shows in July this year as well). Ironically an extended break forced upon her might be just what she needs -- assuming she can maintain close to peak fitness and weight during that break. I imagine she is mentally and physically exhausted.

Akatieva looks so strong in the shows. I think she jumped a 4T+3T in her program. It's becoming so easy for her now.
I always felt that Valieva-given her growth patterns-was going to peak the Olympic year, and post Olympics it would be hard to hold on. I felt she had one great shot, and, well, it didn't work out because of other factors. I'm amazed that she can still do the huge quad toe, but her skating is a bit labored, and no, not the same level- it's life, and nature and it happens. Even if Sasha and Anna regained their conditioning, all three would have a difficult time against the new generation. Adelia, Sofia A and Sofia T, Veronika , Alina Gorbecheva, etc etc and...so many more are now at their peak (or near it) and ready to dominate next year. Circle of Life in Russian Figure skating. Liza is the exception, because she has stayed tiny-I think she is only 4'10 or so.

katymay

Medalist
The posts above mine are spot on. It’s a new world now, you have to have major weapons to compete.

Look, figure skating has a high percentage of sore losers in it, and that includes the skaters and the fans. So of course anything that makes the gap grow will be resented. Just look at the excuses and conspiracy theories that are spouted in this very forum when someone gets defeated.

This sport is one of the few sports where innovation is frowned upon. Tennis, football, ice hockey etc, are all faster than ever before, but figure skating fans still want it to be 1955.

I mean, there are people that want the figures competition to return.

This revolution we are currently in thanks to the Russian ladies is the reason I fell in love with the sport again.

As long as the skaters keep getting supported, we haven’t seen anything yet. These girls are athletic, mentally and physically tough, and teeming with ambition.

As for the split, everyone has the right to choose sides, or choose both sides. To each their own.

I choose my side, and haven’t looked back. Didn’t miss the international events in the slightest.

And as a bonus, my prediction of our knowledge of Russian skaters increasing this year definitely came true. I was even able to learn the skaters from places like Perm that would not have happened otherwise.

As a secondary and tertiary bonus, I learned a lot more Russian geography (and I love geography) and was introduced to a lot of new oblasts.

And with all these domestic events, my familiarity with the Cyrillic alphabet increased exponentially.

I am able to recognize a lot of the skaters and make out their names without using the translator now. Still not 100% but even the ones I miss, I get a few sounds right.

Even watching the KHL or Russian Prem (or even some Bulgarian or Serbian sports) I’m able to make out a lot of sponsors and names that I couldn’t before. It got me to start studying the alphabet a lot more. I even added the Cyrillic keyboard to my phone.

So in a way, the split helped me become a bit more knowledgeable about non sports things.

Who knows, maybe in a few years I will be be speaking it as my third language. Haha
Same! But it has taken me a long time to even learn the Russian alphabet (I have an app).
Quads caused a giant block of skaters to be winnowed out of the race. Ladies who have dedicated their lives to the sport, almost reached the top, and then, because of quad jumpers they were relegated to a lower placement. There are also those junior skaters who know they will never be able to do a quad, and yet are aware that in Russia even 11 year olds are doing them. This causes resentment, jealousy (more on the part of their parents I suspect) and on the part of many-extreme joy that Russian girls/ladies are excluded. Unless the ISU finds a way to devalue ultra-c jumps, the future will be those who can, and those who can't, and I expect the Green Eyed Monster will continue to act out on social media. Ultra-c jumps are dangerous, hard on the body, and I do wish they were not allowed at the Novice level. Still gymnastics, skiing and a host of other sports require just as much athleticism and risk, and no one cries out about the 'damage' to those athletes.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always felt that Valieva-given her growth patterns-was going to peak the Olympic year, and post Olympics it would be hard to hold on. I felt she had one great shot, and, well, it didn't work out because of other factors. I'm amazed that she can still do the huge quad toe, but her skating is a bit labored, and no, not the same level- it's life, and nature and it happens. Even if Sasha and Anna regained their conditioning, all three would have a difficult time against the new generation. Adelia, Sofia A and Sofia T, Veronika , Alina Gorbecheva, etc etc and...so many more are now at their peak (or near it) and ready to dominate next year. Circle of Life in Russian Figure skating. Liza is the exception, because she has stayed tiny-I think she is only 4'10 or so.
I think Adelia will stay tiny, too.

JimR

On the Ice

I agree that last season was her peak and she won't, or anyone else will come close to that.

I think Akatieva can come close next season, but won't quite beat Kamila's best of 2021-22 because she doesn't have that once in a lifetime flexibility and plasticity of Kamila.

But Akatieva is so strong in these shows now. Triple axels, quads, 3+3 combos, she does it all without missing a beat. For jumps she is similar to Kamila at her best now. I really like the new demonstration program.

But Kamila was out of gas a little after the Almaty In Memoriam program, I think this is a conditioning problem and I believe there is some kind of injury to her right knee making it difficult with the lutz. I'm not judging because really since the end of December she's had one competitive performance the GP final, her season started last July with shows, so maybe put the cue in the rack after the end of December and we're now in May. Even the choreography on Wednesday is not what it was in December. She has so much natural talent she can sail through shows from January to May at about 70% and not many people notice.

I won't put the decay of skating skills since the start of the year down to size because I don't think she's really changed much since then. Most of the growth was the 8 months or so before then.

She can still have a long career, but I think she has to change her approach to conditioning and probably needs an extended break to heal things like her knee and probably her psychological wellbeing. An enforced break might actually work in her favour if 2026 is her goal.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
The camera crew of Channel One went with them, so maybe there will be some videos. There may also be something from local media and fancams by sport24.
Upd: The sport24 journalist said that he couldn't film anything because the show is copyrighted by Channel One. So hopefully Channel One will show it later.

katymay

Medalist
Elizaveta Labutina has landed the 3A+2T in the short program.

My favorite junior actually. The rest of her jumps are so pristine as far as jumping technique, I just love to watch her. She has the best triple/ triple combo I've ever seen done. (She skims/distance on the first jump to keep her speed for the second jump-just cool to watch)

NaVi

Medalist
There really needs to be good filters on what gifts, free trips, business opportunities some of these skaters take up.

I once saw the gifting instructions for one of the fan groups(I think for Akatieva) and they were allowing people to send (IIRC) edibles and makeup which I find absolutely mind boggling. There was a requirement that they be wrapped and sealed, but even then I think there's no reason to even risk it. Yes, even for those weird flavors of candies only available in Japan. At the very least, if you're one of the upcoming Olympic favorites then these sorts of gifts need to be cut out.

A big problem with "free trips" is that they can easily be put in situations where they'll ingest things they won't think twice about but whoever gives them the free trip may have some control over. They can also put the skaters in bad social situations that can be bad PR.

Compared to a lot of other sports, figure skaters make little money while commanding a more attention than a lot of other sports. This is a recipe ripe for scammers and less than trustworthy businesses. You've got to ballance "getting the bag" and keeping your reputation which if you don't could restrict further business opportunities.

I'm not saying this out of the blue for no reason, but I also don't think a mountain should be made out of a molehill. Malicious gifts are probably a question of "when" rather than "if".

JimR

On the Ice
There really needs to be good filters on what gifts, free trips, business opportunities some of these skaters take up.

I once saw the gifting instructions for one of the fan groups(I think for Akatieva) and they were allowing people to send (IIRC) edibles and makeup which I find absolutely mind boggling. There was a requirement that they be wrapped and sealed, but even then I think there's no reason to even risk it. Yes, even for those weird flavors of candies only available in Japan. At the very least, if you're one of the upcoming Olympic favorites then these sorts of gifts need to be cut out.

A big problem with "free trips" is that they can easily be put in situations where they'll ingest things they won't think twice about but whoever gives them the free trip may have some control over. They can also put the skaters in bad social situations that can be bad PR.

Compared to a lot of other sports, figure skaters make little money while commanding a more attention than a lot of other sports. This is a recipe ripe for scammers and less than trustworthy businesses. You've got to ballance "getting the bag" and keeping your reputation which if you don't could restrict further business opportunities.

I'm not saying this out of the blue for no reason, but I also don't think a mountain should be made out of a molehill. Malicious gifts are probably a question of "when" rather than "if".
I agree completely.

Something could be smeared on one of those toys they throw onto the ice (when I say smear I'm not talking doping just anything), smear something just below the cap of a water bottle (Kamila would not touch the bottles of water given to her at the GP final everyone else was slurping on them), on fan mail. Absorption is even possible through handshakes. You just have to look at any figure skating chats on Twitter or Reddit to see there are some truly deranged, unhinged people out there. Figure skating seems to invoke more jealousy from rival fans than any other sport I follow.

Then consider someone like Valieva is one of the most famous athletes in Russia in what is somewhat of a major sport, in an enormous country. Yet she meets fans, accepts gifts from them. Where else in the world would this happen?

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
National team

Senior
Main:
Sofia Akatieva, Kamila Valieva, Anastasia Zinina, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Sofia Muravieva, Adeliia Petrosian

Reserve: —

Junior
Main:
Alina Gorbacheva, Maria Gordeeva, Veronika Zhilina, Sofia Titova, Lyubov Rubtsova, Nadezhda Ponteleenko.

Reserve: Elizaveta Kulikova, Daria Sadkova, Viktoria Morozova

Novice
Main: Margarita Bazylyuk, Agata Petrova, Kira Trofimova, Elena Kostyleva, Anastasia Marasanova, Alena Prineva

Reserve:
Elizaveta Labutina

❗Skaters of the reserve teams are often added later. There may be changes.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree completely.

Something could be smeared on one of those toys they throw onto the ice (when I say smear I'm not talking doping just anything), smear something just below the cap of a water bottle (Kamila would not touch the bottles of water given to her at the GP final everyone else was slurping on them), on fan mail. Absorption is even possible through handshakes. You just have to look at any figure skating chats on Twitter or Reddit to see there are some truly deranged, unhinged people out there. Figure skating seems to invoke more jealousy from rival fans than any other sport I follow.

Then consider someone like Valieva is one of the most famous athletes in Russia in what is somewhat of a major sport, in an enormous country. Yet she meets fans, accepts gifts from them. Where else in the world would this happen?
Absolutely agree.

I still remember that a fan was able to get on the ice to give Trusova flowers. Security was awful that day.

Skaters should be on the ice and fans should be in the stands.

As for social media, if you want deranged, go to Zagotiva’s telegram page.
She attracts a lot of attention. I’ve seen wedding proposals, and even people giving her directions to their homes. And the people sending them usually look unkemp.

I wouldn’t consume anything from people I do not know, and I’m certainly not famous.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
National team

Senior
Main:
Sofia Akatieva, Kamila Valieva, Anastasia Zinina, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Sofia Muravieva, Adeliia Petrosian

Junior
Main:
Alina Gorbacheva, Maria Gordeeva, Veronika Zhilina, Sofia Titova, Lyubov Rubtsova, Nadezhda Ponteleenko.

Novice
Main: Margarita Bazylyuk, Agata Petrova, Kira Trofimova, Elena Kostyleva, Anastasia Marasanova, Alena Prineva

Reserve:
Elizaveta Labutina

Anna and Trusova are 2 of the alternates.
Trusova accomplished her goal of burning this bridge.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
National team

Senior
Main:

Junior
Main:

Novice

Reserve:
Elizaveta Labutina

Glad to see Murav'eva and Morozova! There are some missing senior names, but I guess reserve will be decided later on

NaVi

Medalist
For $269 you can put this on your wall. Trusova should buy it herself and flip it for more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.