2022-23 Russian Women's Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

katymay

Medalist
National team

Senior
Main:
Sofia Akatieva, Kamila Valieva, Anastasia Zinina, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Sofia Muravieva, Adeliia Petrosian

Reserve: —

Junior
Main:
Alina Gorbacheva, Maria Gordeeva, Veronika Zhilina, Sofia Titova, Lyubov Rubtsova, Nadezhda Ponteleenko.

Reserve: Elizaveta Kulikova, Daria Sadkova, Viktoria Morozova

Novice
Main: Margarita Bazylyuk, Agata Petrova, Kira Trofimova, Elena Kostyleva, Anastasia Marasanova, Alena Prineva

Reserve:
Elizaveta Labutina

❗Skaters of the reserve teams are often added later. There may be changes.
I would have liked to have seen Labutina as a reserve for Juniors, or on the main Novice in place of Kira but whatever. Hoping Yametova is named as a reserve.

JimR

On the Ice
Anna and Trusova are 2 of the alternates.
Trusova accomplished her goal of burning this bridge.

Also, the usual types will start yapping about Shcherbakova and Trusova being finished at 18, but if either of them were for instance Belgian, German or Swiss does anyone actually think they would not be able to qualify for their national team?

Shcherbakova in her current form can still jump combos, and Trusova was doing a 4Lz in training.

The ISU is to blame for Russian girls retiring from competition at a young age of their quota system. Russia which probably had the top 7 of 8 women in the world prior to 2022 only were allowed a maximum of three spots in international competition, but countries like India, Hong Kong, Philippines are given one spot each. Completely ridiculous. Shcherbakova could skate internationally until age 40 if she represented India.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Sotnikova's dress in the Moscow subway

VKItr5e_d.webp

CIsmHlO_d.webp

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How is the ISU doing without the girls you ask?

Not going to be long until the ISU does a 180.

Same way the WTA did with Peng. Talked a good game, but as the financial losses piled up, they forgot their moral stances and went back to the Chinese cash without any of their demands being met.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Also, the usual types will start yapping about Shcherbakova and Trusova being finished at 18, but if either of them were for instance Belgian, German or Swiss does anyone actually think they would not be able to qualify for their national team?

Shcherbakova in her current form can still jump combos, and Trusova was doing a 4Lz in training.

The ISU is to blame for Russian girls retiring from competition at a young age of their quota system. Russia which probably had the top 7 of 8 women in the world prior to 2022 only were allowed a maximum of three spots in international competition, but countries like India, Hong Kong, Philippines are given one spot each. Completely ridiculous. Shcherbakova could skate internationally until age 40 if she represented India.
Very true on all points. Sadly these great Russian figure skaters are led bunch of weaklings in the Russian figure skating federation.

The ISU is why figure skating is still a niche sport. By this time next year Sasha and Anna will have missed 4 out of 5 world championships none of it their own doing.
The level of figure skating was really low in 3 of the 4 disciplines last year and the ISU is fine with it.

Jim can you imagine if tennis or golf capped Quotas per country at 3 or 4 when America has like 20 of the top 50 golfers in the world? Hey your world ranking is number 11 but you can't play the masters because America only gets 5 quotas. Figure skating could be so much but it chooses not to be.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Same way the WTA did with Peng. Talked a good game, but as the financial losses piled up, they forgot their moral stances and went back to the Chinese cash without any of their demands being met.
Oh it will be very long Alex. They don't care and they don't hide it. Besides the United States Canada or Japan will throw some money at the ISU if they are lacking funds. They will do that just to keep Russia out.

JimR

On the Ice

“The sports industry is also showing signs of saturation, exacerbated by increased competition from other entertainment formats. Advertising spending is clearly shifting away from TV broadcasters towards social media/digital technology and the gaming industry, and there has been an increase in the dominance of large technology companies, which receive the largest share of advertising revenue."

Maybe have a chat with Kamila, her Wednesday video has 24 million views in under 6 months. I don't think the ISU Youtube channel would have had 24 million clicks all year.

JimR

On the Ice
Very true on all points. Sadly these great Russian figure skaters are led bunch of weaklings in the Russian figure skating federation.

The ISU is why figure skating is still a niche sport. By this time next year Sasha and Anna will have missed 4 out of 5 world championships none of it their own doing.
The level of figure skating was really low in 3 of the 4 disciplines last year and the ISU is fine with it.
Dave Lease likes being smug and calling the Russian Grand Prix series the 'fake Grand Prix'.

Pairs is still strong, women are especially strong. If having the top 5 or so women in the world at the moment competing in a domestic Grand Prix series makes it a fake competition, then what does that make the 'world championship' if the best women (and best pairs) are barred from competing?
Jim can you imagine if tennis or golf capped Quotas per country at 3 or 4 when America has like 20 of the top 50 golfers in the world? Hey your world ranking is number 11 but you can't play the masters because America only gets 5 quotas. Figure skating could be so much but it chooses not to be.
It would be absurd. An almost surefire way to limit the interest of spectators, the athletes themselves, children wanting to take up the sport.

The irony of these silly quotas is a Russian who wouldn't even be top 10 at the Russian championships won one of the biggest events of the year.

JimR

On the Ice
Oh it will be very long Alex. They don't care and they don't hide it. Besides the United States Canada or Japan will throw some money at the ISU if they are lacking funds. They will do that just to keep Russia out.
I thought they might stop punishing the Russian juniors because discriminating against children for where they are born makes no sense. They would be lucky to have 100 spectators at many of the junior events, and someone would have to be psychological disturbed to jeer or insult a child for their country of origin, so I couldn't understand the rationale. But, oh well.
It's sad for the skaters, but being selfish I enjoyed more the Russian grand prix, every stage we are watching the best of the best, I never tired of watching them every week besides the juniors, novices, Russia has a very deep field.
At best there will probably be one spot for independent Russian skaters at the Olympics, so it's best now for the athletes, Russian fed, fans of the athletes to move on, come up with new ideas to develop the sport.

For all intents the Russian championships and GP final are the world championships for women and pairs. If a skater or pair can take the double they have established complete supremacy. It would be good for next season they could move the national championships to March then hold the GP final before Christmas. This would make more sense while there is no international competition (only one skater will be eligible anyway).

Last season was the most enjoyable season of skating for me. High level of competition, ease of access (everything free on Youtube couldn't be easier to watch), innovations like the jumping and show tournament, enthusiastic crowds, skaters competing in great spirit, those Channel 1 montages. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Dave Lease likes being smug and calling the Russian Grand Prix series the 'fake Grand Prix'.

Pairs is still strong, women are especially strong. If having the top 5 or so women in the world at the moment competing in a domestic Grand Prix series makes it a fake competition, then what does that make the 'world championship' if the best women (and best pairs) are barred from competing?

It would be absurd. An almost surefire way to limit the interest of spectators, the athletes themselves, children wanting to take up the sport.

The irony of these silly quotas is a Russian who wouldn't even be top 10 at the Russian championships won one of the biggest events of the year.
You talking about Nastia? She skated in 4 Russian nationals always top 10 or higher. But the field is tougher now and deeper and it would be hard for her to make the top 10. Affair making the top 10 or better at Russian nationals in the ladies is a really good accomplishment. What we need is more Russian skaters to do what Gubs did and just leave for Georgia or Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan.

The Russian Grand Prix season was better than the ISU grand prix. Especially with the ladies

Scott512

Record Breaker
I thought they might stop punishing the Russian juniors because discriminating against children for where they are born makes no sense. They would be lucky to have 100 spectators at many of the junior events, and someone would have to be psychological disturbed to jeer or insult a child for their country of origin, so I couldn't understand the rationale. But, oh well.

At best there will probably be one spot for independent Russian skaters at the Olympics, so it's best now for the athletes, Russian fed, fans of the athletes to move on, come up with new ideas to develop the sport.

For all intents the Russian championships and GP final are the world championships for women and pairs. If a skater or pair can take the double they have established complete supremacy. It would be good for next season they could move the national championships to March then hold the GP final before Christmas. This would make more sense while there is no international competition (only one skater will be eligible anyway).

Last season was the most enjoyable season of skating for me. High level of competition, ease of access (everything free on Youtube couldn't be easier to watch), innovations like the jumping and show tournament, enthusiastic crowds, skaters competing in great spirit, those Channel 1 montages. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.
No they were not going to stop punishing Russian children. Being born in Russia is being held against them in a way that has not happened to other skaters where they were born.

I agree with you that Russia needs a better schedule. Absolutely ridiculous that they still keep the same schedule they used to have as if they were still in the ISU. The Russian federation leaders are about protecting their position in figure skating and in the ISU. Lakernik still has his honorary position with the ISU. He is useless. We will see Russian coaches at ISU events this season like last season. What sense does that make? If Russia is banned for God's sake don't let Russian coaches go. Seeing russian coaches at Europeans and worlds was bewildering to see last season. You ban junior and senior Russian skaters but not 50 year old Russian coaches? Lol.

JimR

On the Ice
You talking about Nastia? She skated in 4 Russian nationals always top 10 or higher. But the field is tougher now and deeper and it would be hard for her to make the top 10. Affair making the top 10 or better at Russian nationals in the ladies is a really good accomplishment. What we need is more Russian skaters to do what Gubs did and just leave for Georgia or Kazakhstan or Uzbekistan.

The Russian Grand Prix season was better than the ISU grand prix. Especially with the ladies
Yeah I'm talking about Gubanova I don't think she would have been top 10 in Russia last season. But still, even in a normal year with three Russian girls it would have been a credible 4th at Europeans which is impressive.

I agree they should change federations if there are better opportunities elsewhere. If they can't get domestic medals and aren't making money on shows in Russia, they should look around to other federations.

If they are making money on shows it would be difficult to leave Russia because Gubanova and Moris couldn't get permission last season to perform even the occasional show in Russia (I think Gubanova was going to be on that 14th February show but they stopped it and Moris wasn't allowed on the Tutberitze shows apart from the one in Almaty). They could always skate for several years elsewhere then return I suppose.

It would probably suit someone like Samodelkina to switch countries. She's grown a lot, the ultra c has left her as a result, at ISU level she would quite formidable though.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Yeah I'm talking about Gubanova I don't think she would have been top 10 in Russia last season. But still, even in a normal year with three Russian girls it would have been a credible 4th at Europeans which is impressive.

I agree they should change federations if there are better opportunities elsewhere. If they can't get domestic medals and aren't making money on shows in Russia, they should look around to other federations.

If they are making money on shows it would be difficult to leave Russia because Gubanova and Moris couldn't get permission last season to perform even the occasional show in Russia (I think Gubanova was going to be on that 14th February show but they stopped it and Moris wasn't allowed on the Tutberitze shows apart from the one in Almaty). They could always skate for several years elsewhere then return I suppose.

It would probably suit someone like Samodelkina to switch countries. She's grown a lot, the ultra c has left her as a result, at ISU level she would quite formidable though.
They would never let a skater like Samo go to another country. She's only 16 and may get her ultra jumps back once through puberty. Is Liza B and Anna F they should transfer.

Anastasia should have gone to Valentine's Day show no matter what Georgia said. I just won you European's go have some fun on Valentine's Day. Figure skating is supposed to be about love but all we've seen is hate the last few years.

As for nastia it would be unlikely she would have won Europeans if the 3 Russians were there but Anna was not going to be there because of knee surgery Sasha was who knows where at that point with the coaching change and being unmotivated and having a back injury. KV would have been suspended for the year most likely. Who would have been at euros? Liza Letro and maybe Mura.

Speaking of Adelia I would go to Armenia and let her have dual citizenship with Armenia for 1 or 2 seasons and let her develop on the International level. With the agreement that she comes back to russia as soon as Russia is back. The level of ladies figure skating was extremely mediocre last year without the Russians I hope we see an improvement this year. But the judges trashed the skaters all season long. So many scores for the podium under 200.

Status
Not open for further replies.