Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
I suppose you could argue that the press and public’s fascination with, and pursuit of, Princess Diana helped make it impossible for her marriage to Charles to continue, and accordingly was at least a significant factor in their divorce, but that’s all I can think of.

I hope there is a way for the happiness and comfort Hanyu and his partner have found in each other to continue, now that fans and press will not be fixated on their short marriage.
If this is anything like Diana, media will not likely back down so quickly. She was followed everywhere she went after the split.

I had no idea they were suffering so much. It's sad that they were not given the privacy he requested when he announced the marriage. And that they feel divorce, after 3 months, is the only way to get through it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Which would be fine if Yuzu promoted himself as an "Idol". Which I have not seen. Do you have any proof of that? (ETA: Of course promoting shows is far from promoting oneself, otherwise many skaters would be seen as promoting themselves as idols, particularly those in Japanese shows).
He still makes it clear he is not.
If this is anything like Diana, media will not likely back down so quickly. She was followed everywhere she went after the split.

I had no idea they were suffering so much. It's sad that they were not given the privacy he requested when he announced the marriage. And that they feel divorce, after 3 months, is the only way to get through it.
Thing is, it echoes something that happened to a classmate when he was young: the press got hold of her name and printed that they were involved, and that poor girl was again stalked, subject to abuse from those who hate and resent him, and couldn't leave her house. And they were both - the girl and Yuzuru - very young so it must have left scars.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I apologise. I am - as I said, very upset and angry as I would be for anyone who was subject to this level of tall poppy abuse and treatment, and people saying 'well, what did he expect' rubbed me the wrong way.

Thanks! I totally get that. Everyone deserves happiness. It's a shame that people in the limelight of any situation don't have the privacy that is so often taken for granted.

However, many celebrities know they are celebrities and understand what that entails in their respective culture/circles. It doesn't mean they deserve what happens to them by any means!

I find this situation very sad, but also very odd.

Magill

Record Breaker
It actually comes out to the same thing, no matter how you try to turn it.

You're wearing a skirt? Well, you should expect people to try to do certain things to you that I won't spell out. You've parked your car and left it for two hours? Guess you shouldn't be surprised it was stolen. What, you were on holiday for a week or two? Why are you even surprised your house was broken into? You knew the risks before you did all of these things after all, so in the end, it is your fault, too bad for you.

But I guess you aren't alone in that thinking, considering these are all things people have been told before. Even by the police.
Yes, you married a prince so what did you expect...
You were a Beatle, being shot comes with territory, I guess.,..
What an awful thing to say .... although probably there were people who thought just that after Diana or John Lennon were killed....

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Very, very sad. The only silver lining I can hope for, is that Yuzuru is so well-known and generally respected (at least in Miyagi, but I think in all of Japan) that change in the current system (the level of harrassment/abuse that's allowed) will be called for, pushed, and eventually passed.
For the time being, one thing that anyone that's upset by this news can do, is not give the media gossip/scandal mongers the clicks, or one's money (magazines, newspapers). Boycott them. There'd still remain eager readers/watchers, but it could be a blow. There's also the mute button for preventing accidental clicks. (Or maybe I'm idealistic.)

Any individual that takes part in verbally harrassing a celebrity for having a personal life is not a fan, but a mentally ill person that needs therapy. Real fans care for their favorite athletes'/celebrities' well-being, not for their own fantasies that involve the object of their desire staying alone all their life, yikes. That's just sick in the head.

And does this behavior exist commonly? I don't know, I don't really follow pop culture, and I've never been to Japan, but, what I do know, is that a less famous skater got actually asked (publicly) if they went to their fav singer's concert alone, by one or more of their fans who help support them financially. So apparently some fans care a great deal about their favorites' private lives.

Nevertheless. My condolences to Yuzuru and his now ex-wife. I hope they can try and remarry again later, in hopefully a safer environment. 🤞 🍀
Crazies and stalkers need restraining orders and legal punishments to be deterred. Tabloid media... well, the more folk stop following those, the better. I wish they'd mostly starve out, then we'd hopefully see more celebrities / star athletes in better mental health, and actually able to have functional private lives.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:scratch2:

Other than statements released by the "press" do we even have proof that there ever was a marriage? Nothing on who the bride was, no celebratory photos, announcements with details for the happy couple, etc...?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yes, you married a prince so what did you expect...
You were a Beatle, being shot comes with territory, I guess.,..
What an awful thing to say .... although probably there were people who thought just that after Diana or John Lennon were killed....

@Magill please stop attacking everyone for their opinions and putting words in their mouths.
She is right in one thing - those things were written and published by reporters and letters from the public at the time in even semi-respectable outlets. I remember. I saw them. And god knows what the nonspectable said and did. And the Japanese tabloids are even lower.

We know that press and public insanity have driven people to substance abuse, to illness and to suicide. Yuzuru has experience in its ugly side, and is probably thinking to save his partner from it before she gets hurt.

Magill

Record Breaker
@Magill please stop attacking everyone for their opinions and putting words in their mouths.
I'm not attacking anyone. I'm just saying there were probably many people who said that, don't you think that?
You could see it in the movies, people asking, how Diana could have actually expected any other treatment marrying into Royal family?
It comes from Netflix series "The Crown", and from British tabloids of the time, and many other sources, I think...

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Other than statements released by the "press" do we even have proof that there ever was a marriage? Nothing on who the bride was, not celebratory photos, etc...?
The registry details have been confirmed officially.

It's not unusual for Japanese to keep such things intensely private - Arakawa did, though even just after her OGM she wasn't subject to the pirahna frenzy of today.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The registry details have been confirmed officially.

It's not unusual for Japanese to keep such things intensely private - Arakawa did, though even just after his OGM she wasn't subject to the pirahna frenzy of today.
Confirmed by whom? Is it public? Here in the US, everyone has access to those documents (i.e. properties, marriages, divorces, baptisms, etc.)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker

Other than statements released by the "press" do we even have proof that there ever was a marriage? Nothing on who the bride was, no celebratory photos, announcements with details for the happy couple, etc...?

I think that the official statement from Hanyu or his staff months back, is proof enough. Unless that official Twitter/X account was hacked repeatedly.
Considering this news, and how deranged some folk can be, it's very understandable why the identity of the lady was kept a secret.