Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce

DancingCactus

Final Flight
Japanese celebrities who want to have romantic relationships have had it notoriously hard for decades. It's not just Yuzu, the whole system is toxic. Many fans feel like their idols aren't allowed to have relationships because they then can't fantasize about them properly. The management then enforces the star's single status with draconian measures and the media haunt them in order to dig up juicy gossip and guilt them if they break the rules. I had hoped that Yuzu wasn't under this much scrutiny since he's a sport star and not a traditional idol, but apparently I was wrong. :(

The only thing I don't understand, is if the identity of his partner is even known to the public? Sounds like they were stalked relentlessly as well as threatened.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Japanese celebrities who want to have romantic relationships have had it notoriously hard for decades. It's not just Yuzu, the whole system is toxic.
So this is a "Japanese" thing? I'm not up on all the Japanese celebrities - which ones are you referring to?

And if this is the case, it would happen to no matter whom he married?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm trying to recall a celebrity of any kind that had a divorce for these reasons. Can anyone think of one?

"Love conquers all difficulties, surmounts all obstacles, and effects what to any other power would be impossible." -- William Godwin
Considering the vileness that Yuzuru has put up - since he was a teenager - and the way he has always worked so hard to shield his parents and sister from it all, it speaks volumes that things we don't even know about have reached this pitch of harrassment, threats and abuse.

I know he will still insist on fulfilling his obligations with the shows at Saga, and even now those who are going are expressing their determination to make sure he knows fans worldwide are with him and his partner, and support and love him. But what can we all do against such relentless and totally unfair hate and bile?

Sorry, I have been crying for him. Of all sports stars, he has done so much for others and tried so hard his whole life, he does NOT DESERVE THIS.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If one promotes one's self as an idol, one shouldn't be surprised by the treatment that accompanies it -- both the good and the bad.

Which would be fine if Yuzu promoted himself as an "Idol". Which I have not seen. Do you have any proof of that? (ETA: Of course promoting shows is far from promoting oneself, otherwise many skaters would be seen as promoting themselves as idols, particularly those in Japanese shows).

No one deserves this kind of treatment.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
If one promotes one's self as an idol, one shouldn't be surprised by the treatment that accompanies it -- both the good and the bad.
In what way has he "promoted himself as an idol"?
And even if he had, does that in any way excuse or warrant the vile treatment he has received?
What about his spouse and her family who certainly have not "promoted themselves as idols"? Do they deserve this treatment too for daring to associate with "an idol"?

Victim blaming is not it. Not in other situations, and not here.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I'm trying to recall a celebrity of any kind that had a divorce for these reasons. Can anyone think of one?

"Love conquers all difficulties, surmounts all obstacles, and affects what to any other power would be impossible." -- William Godwin
I suppose you could argue that the press and public’s fascination with, and pursuit of, Princess Diana helped make it impossible for her marriage to Charles to continue, and accordingly was at least a significant factor in their divorce, but that’s all I can think of.

I hope there is a way for the happiness and comfort Hanyu and his partner have found in each other to continue, now that fans and press will not be fixated on their short marriage.

DancingCactus

Final Flight
So this is a "Japanese" thing? I'm not up on all the Japanese celebrities - which ones are you referring to?

And if this is the case, it would happen to no matter whom he married?
I think it also applies to Korea, but I'm not an expert and they basically copied that behaviour from Japan. I know that at least since the 80s female idols had to project this aura of innocence and availability at the same time. They were either contractually forbidden to have relationships or they had to hide it. I remember one girl from AKB who publicly shaved her head out of shame because she was seen with a guy leaving hotel or something.
As for guys, for 30 years the terrible talent agency Johnny's reigned supreme and Talents were strongly discouraged to be honest about their relationships. I think Kimura Takuya, who was an absolute superstar, finally had enough and announced his marriage on stage...which weirdly was accepted. They basically treat stars like public property.

Magill

Record Breaker
I suppose you could argue that the press and public’s fascination with, and pursuit of, Princess Diana helped make it impossible for her marriage to Charles to continue, and accordingly was at least a significant factor in their divorce, but that’s all I can think of.

I hope there is a way for the happiness and comfort Hanyu and his partner have found in each other to continue, now that fans and press will not be fixated on their short marriage.
Yes, it also made me think of Diana....
I really hope they find a way to continue and be happy outside of public attention

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I did not say that treatment is fine. Stalking is never fine. I said one shouldn't be surprised. Comes with the territory.
So what? Are you proposing that people who are loved by the public should not be allowed to try to have a happy personal life? Yuzu and his partner probably knew it would be difficult - hell, he has done everything he can to protect her - and maybe he isn't surprised but according to you he shouldn't even try? I'm not surprised by the smug gloating, but could the haters on the board at least try and leave him be?

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Idols are a different kind of celebrities who are mostly singers or actors. Hanyu has achieved celebrity status in Japan as a two-time gold medalist. The Japanese tabloid media often chase after celebrity couples to publish their private photos. Hanyu made the identity of his former wife secret, which further encouraged media outlets like Friday to stalk Hanyu and his spouse. In his X statement, he especially complained about such stalkers who violated his privacy.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what? Are you proposing that people who are loved by the public should not be allowed to try to have a happy personal life? Yuzu and his partner probably knew it would be difficult - hell, he has done everything he can to protect her - and maybe he isn't surprised but according to you he shouldn't even try? I'm not surprised by the smug gloating, but could the haters on the board at least try and be decent (I know they won't on sm)
Stop putting words in my mouth. It's unfortunate that it comes with the territory, but it does...Gloating? Um.ok. Hello pot. Kettle calling.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
I did not say that treatment is fine. Stalking is never fine. I said one shouldn't be surprised. Comes with the territory.
It actually comes out to the same thing, no matter how you try to turn it.

You're wearing a skirt? Well, you should expect people to try to do certain things to you that I won't spell out. You've parked your car and left it for two hours? Guess you shouldn't be surprised it was stolen. What, you were on holiday for a week or two? Why are you even surprised your house was broken into? You knew the risks before you did all of these things after all, so in the end, it is your fault, too bad for you.

But I guess you aren't alone in that thinking, considering these are all things people have been told before. Even by the police.

Magill

Record Breaker
Stop putting words in my mouth. It's unfortunate that it comes with the territory, but it does...Gloating? Um.ok. Hello pot. Kettle calling.
You know, there are some occasions when it is best to just stay silent if you have nothing empathetic to say. It is just basic human decency. This is just one of these occasions. You just lost it, so do not be surprised by response you get. Comes with the territory, I guess...