Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu announces divorce

icetug

Medalist
I think Kimura Takuya, who was an absolute superstar, finally had enough and announced his marriage on stage...which weirdly was accepted. They basically treat stars like public property.
It's good that you mentioned his example. His first girlfriend broke up with him because she couldn't handle the media and fan interest - and this was at a time when the Internet wasn't nearly as popular as it is today.
Kimura Takuya's wife was a very popular singer, so she was aware of what a relationship with an idol entails. However, she received many threats from her husband's fans. They sent her bloody dolls and bombs were found in her car...
For 15 years, she topped the list of celebrities most hated by women in Japan. She was constantly accused of cheating on her husband, when she was pregnant there were rumors that the child was not his, etc. Rumors about their divorce constantly appear in the tabloids, even this year, when they are both over fifty years old and have two grown-up daughters...

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, publishing this kind of information in EU without the persons' written consent can cost you a fortune. And I do not mean it metaphorically. The fees under what is known here as the GDPR, General Data Protection Regulation, are very, very high.

I'm talking about marriage documents. For instance, in the UK, marriage certificates are public record. I don't know anything about the individual country laws in Europe.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's good that you mentioned his example. His first girlfriend broke up with him because she couldn't handle the media and fan interest - and this was at a time when the Internet wasn't nearly as popular as it is today.
Kimura Takuya's wife was a very popular singer, so she was aware of what a relationship with an idol entails.
As Yuzuru says, his partner was a non-celebrity, and all the warnings in the world cannot prepare someone. Yuzu is not an idol, but I think folk outside Japan underestimate just how 'idolised' and revered he is, not just by fans and not just for his skating: plus, he is very private and a genuinely good person who attracts no scandal, which would be infuriating to tabloid grubs who live to tear people down for profit.

However, she received many threats from her husband's fans. They sent her bloody dolls and bombs were found in her car...
For 15 years, she topped the list of celebrities most hated by women in Japan. She was constantly accused of cheating on her husband, when she was pregnant there were rumors that the child was not his, etc. Rumors about their divorce constantly appear in the tabloids, even this year, when they are both over fifty years old and have two grown-up daughters...
And we don't know - will probably never know, he'll slam down even harder on his private life now - exactly what level of persecution pushed them to this decision.

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm not aware of a statement from Hanyu himself. See my post above. Just wondered if there is any public official record.
Here it comes, though in Japanese, of course, his official Twitter account, signed by his name

There was a whole thread in the GS forum thread by this name

Yuzuru Hanyu has announced his marriage!​

opening with a link to this statement of his.

icetug

Medalist
:scratch2:

Other than statements released by the "press" do we even have proof that there ever was a marriage? Nothing on who the bride was, no celebratory photos, announcements with details for the happy couple, etc...?
I read that the tabloids got to the register, but they couldn't determine who the bride was based on her name. Due to the similarity/identity of the names, some random violinist was considered his wife, so they started looking for dirt in her life, talking to her ex-boyfriends, etc.

For me as a very private person this is completely terrifying. It's hard to even imagine how hounded Yuzuru must have felt that he decided to take such a radical step. I hope that after this announcement the situation will calm down a bit and they will both be able to live a bit more normally...

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm talking about marriage documents. For instance, in the UK, marriage certificates are public record. I don't know anything about the individual country laws in Europe.
GDPR is not an individual country law in Europe. It is an EU-level, EU-wide regulation. It just happens that UK is not a part of the EU anymore.
Everyone who lives in EU is aware of GDPR, it had a lot of publicity and became probably one of the most widely known legislation acts in Europe. You can google it for yourself.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kimura Takuya's wife was a very popular singer, so she was aware of what a relationship with an idol entails. However, she received many threats from her husband's fans. They sent her bloody dolls and bombs were found in her car...
That's just so weird! And awful. In the U.S. there might be a raised eyebrow on some matches, but I don't recall anything of this nature.

Now I understand the negative connotation better when I see/hear the word "rabid fans."

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Ok, so no hard proof then. No actual photos of the marriage document(s)?
I am very sorry, but I find this a kind of weird thing to say. Did you question for example Jennifer Janse van Rensburg's marriage when she changed her name? She's never released pictures with her husband, nor does Germany allow anyone insight into marriage records, but nobody ever doubted her, did they?

Koseki (Japanese family registries) are by law only legally able to be accessed by people named in them, or by those who need them to exercise their due rights (debt collectors, executors of will). The reason access has been limited so severely is not a nice one either, as discrimination based on family status so rarely is. If Yuzuru's marriage was indeed confirmed by a registry official that is already highly unusual, and more than anyone could have expected. :scratch2:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
GDPR is not an individual country law in Europe. It is an EU-level, EU-wide regulation. It just happens that UK is not a part of the EU anymore.
Everyone who lives in EU is aware of GDPR, it had a lot of publicity and became probably one of the most widely known legislation acts in Europe. You can google it for yourself.

I'm aware of the GDPR, but this has nothing to do with the laws in Japan.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Koseki (Japanese family registries) are by law only legally able to be accessed by people named in them, or by those who need them to exercise their due rights (debt collectors, executors of will).
Thanks!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's just so weird! And awful. In the U.S. there might be a raised eyebrow on some matches, but I don't recall anything of this nature.

Now I understand the negative connotation better when I see/hear the word "rabid fans."
Actually, when the TV series Supernatural was at its height, the women who played temporary love interests were bashed online - whole communities were created to invent stories and theories about them being beards, to imagine and cheer over awful things happening to them in real life etc. And the stars' real SOs... my friends in the fandom warned everyone to stay far, far away because it was even worse, so I did. Fandom can be wonderful and beautiful, but it can also be ugly, and no country is exempt.

Magill

Record Breaker

Actually Yuzuru in his statement says nothing about being hunted down by fans but he speaks lots about the tabloid press. This is much more the case similar to what happened to Diana, the unhealthy curiosity of the private lives of the famous and the beloved to sell papers better.
She spoke a lot of her experience before she actually died, she could not leave her house without being harassed by paparazzis, she could not open the curtains in her windows without someone trying to photograph her etc. It was making her feeling depressed, lonely and traumatized. Prince Harry also talked recently about how he had been followed and harassed by tabloids as a kid. You could see videos of hordes and hordes of photographs and other "press" waiting for him at the gate to his school, for instance.
There are a lot of similarities to what Yuzuru talks about,.,, this is the right direction to look for precedences if anyone needs them....

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm aware of the GDPR, but this has nothing to do with the laws in Japan.
But you asked about Europe and claimed you were not aware of its laws... anyway, In Japan it is similar for marriage registers, as someone already explained to you, they are not legally accessible unless you are listed in any given register i.e. it concerns your own family, or for certain legal reasons. Even if you come into possession of this info anyway, it is further illegal to publish it.
Actually I think this Japanese law was actually modelled upon the GDPR, at least to some extent.
You can also google it for yourself.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There are translations, checked by fans, on twitter now. @Magill is right that he makes it clear it is the press's hounding, slandering, abusing and stalking of his partner, both of their families and associates (which means friends and quite probably her work associates, godammit). He takes responsibility for what is not his fault, maybe to ward off criticism of her and others.

On a more positive note, he does say "I will continue to move forward." so they haven't pushed him out of his new skating sphere.

Magill

Record Breaker
I'm not aware of a statement from Hanyu himself. See my post above. Just wondered if there is any public official record.
Oh, and here comes a Tweet on this from GS. Weren't you instrumental to this Tweet yourself, btw? Cause it seems you have embedded it yourself in your post together with your congratulations in that thread then
You must have forgotten, it happens :)

Last edited: