Dancing with the Stars !!! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Dancing with the Stars !!!

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Lacey can dance and she must be doing something right because she and Lance are still in the mix........................42

She's still in the mix because Lance can dance and has a very appealing personality. He may whine about being the worst dancer in N Sync, but he still has a pretty intense dance background. He's also been on Broadway. He knows and understands music. He'd be good with any of the female pros. Imagine him with Karina or Anna. They'd be smoking.

The show is obviously bringing in very young pros -- Julianne, Derek, Mark, Lacey and let's not forget Edyta was only 23 when she began and Cheryl was 21. There is a definite push to steer clear of a Lawrence Welk vibe. But Lacey doesn't have the well rounded background of the others in terms of the standard dances and she has very little experience teaching. Julianne, Derek and Mark were taught by Mark's parents and were given teaching skills along with the dancing skills. Lacey went from high school to SYTYCD to tour to working in the entertainment industry. Her lack of teaching skills are apparent.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
"Lacey went from high school to SYTYCD to tour to working in the entertainment industry. Her lack of teaching skills are apparent." quote by Pixie Cut

You make it sound like she's had no dancing or choreographer experience at all, that she went right out of high school to SYTYCD.......according to her bios and websites, it's been non-stop dancing, performing, and placing and winning competitions since she was 7 years old. She was taught by her father, a former dance champion and she has had prior experience choreographing. Sure, she has her specialties and dances that aren't her favs, but so do all the other pros. They've all mentioned from time to time which dances were their strengths and which were not. My concern isn't so much as the comments about which pros are the favorites and which were not, but the amount of dislike for Lacey. I don't get it. Where is it coming from? 42

heyang

Record Breaker
Lacey has not been non-stop dance. When she was on SYTYCD, she interviewed on air as saying that she gave up dancing intermittently to purse other things.

While on SYTYCD, the judges did mention on occassion that she had to stop using her partner as a prop. They also said they understood this because the nature of competitive dance is to highlight the female.

All of the pros choreograph to hide the weaknesses of their stars. I think Lacey is hit harder because her star can be challenged to do more. When the 'star' is week, the pro never gets called out for not highlighting the star.

Lacey grew up with dance. Her father was the King of Swing who taught Lacey, Benji and Heidi. She's seen her father work with other dancers. She's had more varied dance training in comparison to big brother Benji. SYTYCD encompasses many styles of ballroom, as well - Lacey got kudos when she performed rhumba, samba, Viennese Waltz, hip hop, contemporary, jive, etc during her stint on SYTYCD.

heyang

Record Breaker
BTW, the pros are human, too. They can get frustrated and impatient if they feel their star isn't trying to learn, etc. Karina had a crying jag and left when dealing with Billy Ray Cyrus - who had 2 left feet and who you could tell wasn't really trying to improve. Cheryl has snapped at Maurice.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The contestants on SYTYCD didn't choreograph their own routines, the pros did, so if Lacey was told not to use her partner as a prop, that comment should have been addressed to the one who put the routine together, not the dancer. Of course the other pros on DWTS have all been emotional about their partners, but I don't recall any posters complaining about them in the past, but Lacey seems to be a target. I'll say it again, I don't get why of all the pros in all these years Lacey is the one who gets critized. I think she's a great addition to the cast. Just my opinion, of course..............42

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I will repeat again, Lacey may have been taught by her father but (a) she was not taught the standard dances (waltz, tango, foxtrot, quickstep and Viennese waltz), (b) by her own admission, she quit several times, and (c) she was not taught to be a teacher. Shirley Ballas taught Mark, Julianne and Derek how to teach. Lacey did go from high school to SYTYCD. Over the past year, she was working as an entertainer. She did occasional workshops, but she did not teach.

Although only 21 when she joined the show, Cheryl Burke was teaching at the time she was hired. Edyta taught. Maksim not only taught, he owned two dance studios with his family, teaching all levels from beginner to elite. Tony taught. Karina taught.

I find Lacey a very appealing dancer, but I still think she's over her head for a show like DWTS.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but I still think she's over her head for a show like DWTS.
Thanks Pixie Cut, I think this sums it up pretty well for me. You can just tell that she is NOT a pro and I am not quite sure why she is even on the show.

Dee

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Thanks Pixie Cut, I think this sums it up pretty well for me. You can just tell that she is NOT a pro and I am not quite sure why she is even on the show.

Quite simply, I think the producers were hoping to capture the same youth explosion they got with Julianne. Also, Lacey has a big personality that although some people hate it, many people love it. I think they estimated wrong. Lacey is nowhere near the dancer Julianne is and way less the teacher.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Question not related to the current season, but what stars would you like to see on DWTS?

I'll admit to a certain cheese factor and say I'd love to see just about any of the actors who played the Brady Bunch kids on the show, especially Eve Plumb (Jan) or Maureen McCormick (Marcia). But Chris Knight (Peter) would be fun, too, and he's already been on a reality show, so maybe he'd be game for it. Or what about Florence Henderson? With her dance background, she'd probably be able to do a lot more than Cloris was physically able to do, but she'd be a fun representative of the senior crowd. How old is Florence, anyhow, I wonder?

More retired/pro skaters would be great, too! Wonder if Kurt would enjoy ballroom?

heyang

Record Breaker
There have been rumors of FLorence Henderson appearing. Tori Spelling has been another name tossed around.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Or what about Florence Henderson? With her dance background, she'd probably be able to do a lot more than Cloris was physically able to do, but she'd be a fun representative of the senior crowd. How old is Florence, anyhow, I wonder?
Florence Henderson's birthday is 2/14/1934 so that makes her 74. After Cloris, I don't think they should have any older people on this show. I thought Cloris did a wonderful job, yet comments from judges and others were not very nice.

Dee

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Kristi alert

Kristi will be dancing tonight (Nov. 18) on the results show. If I understood correctly, she and Mark will be dancing to an Aretha Franklin number.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Is it just me, or was Kristi the best thing to happen this whole season?

Tell me about it! What a snoozer of a season this one devolved into. I know they have to hype things, but when Bergeron referred to this as "the most talented semifinal group ever" or some such, I had to laugh.

Geez, last season not only had the unforgettable Kristi, but Cristian, who was a great dancer, Jason, who was very elegant and watchable, and Marissa, who was just plain fun! Also Mario, who just missed the semis, was a very good dancer, too, and very riveting to watch.

This season, Lance and Lacey were the only ones who stepped up their game for the semis.

Cody really tried hard but he was almost robotic in the paso. Brooke I have never warmed to. I don't think she's as great technically as the judges make her sound -- heck, Mario Lopez, Apollo, Stacy K. from earlier seasons I think learned the technique as well as Brooke, and I don't remember so much gushing over them. But whatever, at least the judges didn't swoon over that kinda lame jive.

Warren is very watchable but he doesn't look like he's learned much about technique, even after all these weeks. But he and Kym look very striking when they're out there, the big beefy guy and the delicate little lady.

Loved that Lance said "When I think of the jitterbug, I think of the 40's and WWII" -- yay, that's what I think of, too. Sweet that he brought his granddad into things, and smart for generating sympathy votes!

Lance and Warren got my votes from the semis. If I watch next week, I'll probably split my votes again, or give them all to one or the other if one of them really puts it out there.

Oh, I thought Warren's mom was cute when she said she got "everyone" to vote, including the mall walkers, her ladies group, etc. She just seemed like such a sweet lady out there tugging on the grapevine on behalf of her "youngest," as she called him.

dizzydi7

On the Ice
Dancing with the Stars

I think Brooke Burke is the best dancer this season. Lance and Lacey were very good last night and could give Burke and Hough a run for their money in the final. I do not like Warren Sapp. He is a showman but he is not a good dancer in my opinion and has not shown much or any improvement since his first dance.

I was happy to see Aretha Franklin on the roster for entertainment last evening. I have not enjoyed much of the entertainment (I say loosely) on the result shows. I was very disappointed with Aretha's performance. I don't know if she was having an off performance or if her voice has gone south. I didn't think she was was good at all. Surprisingly, Julianne was very good and probably one of the best I've seen at any of these result shows and.....I'm not a fan of country music. Just wondered if anyone else was disappointed with Aretha?

Dizzy

heyang

Record Breaker
I didn't recognize him, but Dmitry from Season 2 of So You Think You Can Dance was one of the guest pro's during one of last night's performances.

Seems like the link between SYTYCD and DWTS might result in more of the STYCYD crew joining DWTS in some capacity. BTW. Dmitry has choreographed for SYTYCD at least twice since his season.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20241324,00.html

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
Brooke I have never warmed to. I don't think she's as great technically as the judges make her sound -- heck, Mario Lopez, Apollo, Stacy K. from earlier seasons I think learned the technique as well as Brooke, and I don't remember so much gushing over them. But whatever, at least the judges didn't swoon over that kinda lame jive.

Carrie Anne once told Stacy Keibler, "You're getting better than some of our pros." With her, it was legitimate. Keibler was a trained dancer.

Kristi completely outdanced anyone who has been on this season, but that's okay. I knew it would be a long time until we saw such high level celebrity dancing again.

I don't know how the Queen of Soul even walks. She's so huge. Her voice is definitely on the downswing, but it's still fun to hear her.

Last edited:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Pixie, you're right, it will be a while before there'll be another Kristi! If ever!

And it's not that I don't see that Brooke is the best dancer technically this season, I just thought the judges were going a bit overboard with their comments, and a little with their scores, too.

I enjoyed Aretha but wasn't blown away. Not so much that her voice wasn't really there, but I just don't think she put a lot into the performance. But it was still very good to see her.

Who I think has aged well is Lionel Ritchie. I liked his performance on the previous results show very much, he really sold it!

Pixie Cut

On the Ice
I enjoyed Aretha but wasn't blown away. Not so much that her voice wasn't really there, but I just don't think she put a lot into the performance. But it was still very good to see her.

Who I think has aged well is Lionel Ritchie. I liked his performance on the previous results show very much, he really sold it!

Lionel Ritchie appears to be in great shape. How much can the Queen of Soul sell when I fear she can barely breath? I heard someone comment, "Does she have another person under that beaded tent?"