Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Kim's representatives end Orser's coaching relationship threads merged

jasminum

Rinkside
I believe he was spotted in Japan by many people during that time?

Could you give us a source?

IMG has denied the rumor two times, as far as I know.

1. http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/sp20100428f1.html
The Japan Times contacted Mao's agent, Mariko Wada of IMG, on Sunday and asked her to provide some clarity on the issue.

"Very surprising," she wrote in an e-mail of the initial reports. "We never contacted him and never thought about it."

Orser did not respond to an e-mail requesting further elaboration.

2. http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...on-kim-says-orser-lied-about-their-split.html

The other is that International Management Group, which represents both Orser and Asada, was behind the suggestion he coach the Japanese star.

``This is completely untrue,'' IMG's David Baden said in an email. ``Brian's coaching business is his own. We at IMG have never gotten involved in who he coaches. AT Sports needs to take responsibility for their actions and stop pointing the finger and making baseless accusations. Brian and Yuna deserve better.''

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Take one step back. I am just wondering ...... what if Yu Na's team, soon after Aug.2 meeting with Brian and Tracy, had issued a statement into the media that said exactly what they had said to Brian at their meeting and no details, would Brian suck in all those pains and every detail that he's otherwise revealed to the media and keep his side of the story unheard?;)

hellcat

Rinkside
Actually you have the same source I have.

There Orser said her agency did inquire about him (and team) working with her. And he turned it down.

Look at his email that he revealed to Philip and korean media.

So someone is not telling the truth.

Last edited:

Ian Mc

Spectator
I think Orser makes a mountain out of a molehill.

Well... I was shocked Mr.Orser gave away selection of Yuna's LP music to the media, even though he is not her coach anymore. Inaddition, he didn't ask to make mention of the music to Willson and Yuna.
Until the last season, he and Yuna had tried to keep a matter under wraps before the agreement of Yuna or Yuna's side.
I heard that Orser has been over contract coach since three months ago. Mr.Orser, you makes Yuna is being in trouble. It is inconsistant with your references that you make much of Yuna. I'd like you do not make a mountain out of a molehill.

hurrah

Medalist
Actually you have the same source I have.

There Orser said her agency did inquire about him (and team) working with her. And he turned it down.

Look at his email that he revealed to Philip and korean media.

So someone is not telling the truth.

So the original source of the 'rumour' that Mao's agent contacted him is a private e-mail that Brian wrote to Yuna. Let's call the Brian who wrote the e-mail Brian A.

Against this one original source, there have been multiple denials from all parties involved including Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as... Brian himself depending on the occassion. Let's call this Brian who has denied the rumor Brian B.

So if Brian A is telling the truth, then Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as Brian B are all liars.

If Brian A is telling a lie, then Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as Brian B are all honest.

One need not be a nuclear physicist to make an educated guess as to who told the lie.

I believe it is the song "Arirang," which is a beautiful traditional song from Korea. Someone earlier on this thread referenced the performance of it given by the New York Philharmonic in their ground-breaking trip to North Korea. This performance was shown on TV and is floating around on YouTube somewhere; it's worth a look. I watched it on TV when it was originally broadcast; a very moving experience to behold. I'm sure YuNa will do it justice.

CAS

On the Ice
I think the music announcement is the one really unfortunate slip up here and probably something Brian is kicking himself for but I can't imagine for a second it was maliciously done. And could play a part in his announcement that he is finished making comments on this matter.

For one he has a long standing working relationship with David Wilson and by all accounts get along well that I don't think he would intentionally jeopardize that for a parting shot at Yuna. In print you seldom get the flow of a conversation/interview. Some articles out there are much better at telling this story, others grab quotes/soundbites and build a mountain around them. It's clear some of these "journalists" are getting their inspiration for questions from online forums. It's as likely a reporter asked Brian about reports that she hasn't been skating much, is out of shape and could barely land a triple salchow to which Brian refutes this with glowing reports wherein he slips up and mentions the new LP (and he is very complimentary to Yuna the skater, that cannot be denied).

samsarah

Rinkside
Take one step back. I am just wondering ...... what if Yu Na's team, soon after Aug.2 meeting with Brian and Tracy, had issued a statement into the media that said exactly what they had said to Brian at their meeting and no details, would Brian suck in all those pains and every detail that he's otherwise revealed to the media and keep his side of the story unheard?;)

I honestly don't know. :think:
Brian looks to me as a rookie in this whole coaching business.
It appears to me that Brian is taking this split way too emotionally. Other coaches;Tom Zakrajsek, Frank Carroll, too, have parted ways with their star atheletes. The difference between them and Brian is that they kept quiet after the split and saved their relationship, if not friendship, with their skaters.

Hopefully he will learn from this experience.

hellcat

Rinkside
BTW, based on this email, I'm saying someone is not telling the truth. That does NOT have to be Mao's agent. Since Brian Orser sent this email to not only Philip but to Korean Media as well, I'm assuming Philip is not making this up in his blog.

So the original source of the 'rumour' that Mao's agent contacted him is a private e-mail that Brian wrote to Yuna. Let's call the Brian who wrote the e-mail Brian A.

Against this one original source, there have been multiple denials from all parties involved including Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as... Brian himself depending on the occassion. Let's call this Brian who has denied the rumor Brian B.

So if Brian A is telling the truth, then Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as Brian B are all liars.

If Brian A is telling a lie, then Mao's agent, Mao herself, IMG, as well as Brian B are all honest.

One need not be a nuclear physicist to make an educated guess as to who told the lie.

So, I guess you're implying that the old Brian (up until he said he wasn't contacted by Mao's agent) was not telling the truth and now he changed his words and telling the truth?

Frankly, I don't know he's telling the truth or who's telling the truth.

What's so wrong being offered by other skater. Or vice versa.

I don't think that is a big deal.

What I don't get from Brian Orser is that he's telling one thing before and the other now.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
what does it mean Orser is hurt? Yes he is but his public relationship with Yuna was coach - athlete, like teacher - student. Since when our teachers take it into heart once we leave and go to another one and start speaking public? All he should speak about was things concerning the coach - athlete. Not about mum, not about anything else. It is professional relationship that ended, they had more personal relationship maybe and they were friends, but this personal relationship and the feelings caused now by the break up dont belong to public.

samsarah

Rinkside

Please enlighten us of your educated guess, because I do not understand.

First of all, why are you splitting Brian as two different persons when apparantly both Brians A & B are same individuals.
Secondly, you are saying that if Brian A is telling a lie, Brian B is not a lier. This does not make sense. Because both Brians are the same persons. If Brian A was telling a lie, how can B be a honest person? Or were you trying to suggest that if Brians comment in A situation is true, than his comment in situationB cannot be?

Anyway its poor Mao to have to be dragged into this ugly mess :(

hellcat

Rinkside
Please enlighten us of your educated guess, because I do not understand.

First of all, why are you splitting Brian as two different persons when apparantly both Brians A & B are same individuals.
Secondly, you are saying that if Brian A is telling a lie, Brian B is not a lier. This does not make sense. Because both Brians are the same persons. If Brian A was telling a lie, how can B be a honest person? Or were you trying to suggest that if Brians comment in A situation is true, than his comment in situationB cannot be?

Anyway its poor Mao to have to be dragged into this ugly mess :(

What did Mao do wrong? Even if he was offered, there's nothing wrong with it. If he wasn't offered, he made this up and it's his fault that making this up to confirm the rumor while it was floating around making the Yuna camp uneasy in April.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
what does it mean Orser is hurt? Yes he is but his public relationship with Yuna was coach - athlete, like teacher - student. Since when our teachers take it into heart once we leave and go to another one and start speaking public? All he should speak about was things concerning the coach - athlete. Not about mum, not about anything else. It is professional relationship that ended, they had more personal relationship maybe and they were friends, but this personal relationship and the feelings caused now by the break up dont belong to public.

Professional courtesy dictates that you at least try to end the working relationship with respect. He didn't feel Kim accomplished that by not responding to emails and not talking to him in person. That hurts when professionally, you've accomplished so much together. I see nothing wrong with Brian's initial statement and I think this whole thing got blown out of proportion and both sides probably regret what happened.

janetfan, I misconstrued David Wilson's statement. Or more accurately, I think ATS misconstrued it and I took it as gospel. That's my error and I apologize for it.

Here is the statement from Wilson: “I was not aware Brian was going to reveal information about the program to the media,” said Wilson. “He did not discuss with me at all what he was going to do during the interview.”

Link: HERE

hurrah

Medalist
What's so wrong being offered by other skater. Or vice versa.

There isn't anything wrong with an offer being made by another skater. But if someone lies and says there was an offer when no offer was ever made? Depending on the circumstance, it could upset everything.

I feel that both Yuna and Brian have no one to blame but themselves for bringing this grief upon themselves.
After having time to think things through though, I do think that Brian was being too grabby, and he should just understand that about himself and shut up. I also kind of think that Yuna is actually behaving with more decency than it first appeared to me.

Anyway, she's rich, he's still a national hero, and it will be yesterday's news soon enough, except when some poster brings it up on figure skating forums once in a while.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Professional courtesy dictates that you at least try to end the working relationship with respect. He didn't feel Kim accomplished that by not responding to emails and not talking to him in person. That hurts when professionally, you've accomplished so much together. I see nothing wrong with Brian's initial statement and I think this whole thing got blown out of proportion and both sides probably regret what happened.

janetfan, I misconstrued David Wilson's statement. Or more accurately, I think ATS misconstrued it and I took it as gospel. That's my error and I apologize for it.

Here is the statement from Wilson: “I was not aware Brian was going to reveal information about the program to the media,” said Wilson. “He did not discuss with me at all what he was going to do during the interview.”

Link: HERE

Thanks for the link. No need to apologize as this story and one I just read from the Korean Herald backs up your point. (Link at Blazing Blades)
The korean Herald article mentions legal action so it appears this is not getting better.

I did have to laugh at Hersh's closing comments:

"Orser and Kim had been together since 2006. Over the next four seasons, she frequently praised Orser for the role he played in her success. By Tuesday, she was calling him a liar and suggesting there were deep-seated reasons for the split, reasons she has so far chosen not to reveal.

Maybe she will tell all in another episode of ``As the Ice Melts.''

Only in figure skating. That's among the many reasons why I love it."

Last edited:

hellcat

Rinkside
There isn't anything wrong with an offer being made by another skater. But if someone lies and says there was an offer when no offer was ever made? Depending on the circumstance, it could upset everything.

I feel that both Yuna and Brian have no one to blame but themselves for bringing this grief upon themselves.
After having time to think things through though, I do think that Brian was being too grabby, and he should just understand that about himself and shut up. I also kind of think that Yuna is actually behaving with more decency than it first appeared to me.

Anyway, she's rich, he's still a national hero, and it will be yesterday's news soon enough, except when some poster brings it up on figure skating forums once in a while.

I pretty much agree what you say here. Also, if he made that story up, only possible reason could be to increase his stock value.

yunasashafan

On the Ice
I believe it is the song "Arirang," which is a beautiful traditional song from Korea. Someone earlier on this thread referenced the performance of it given by the New York Philharmonic in their ground-breaking trip to North Korea. This performance was shown on TV and is floating around on YouTube somewhere; it's worth a look. I watched it on TV when it was originally broadcast; a very moving experience to behold. I'm sure YuNa will do it justice.

Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-OUt3IFlzk

skatinginbc

Medalist
I honestly don't know. :think:
Brian looks to me as a rookie in this whole coaching business.
It appears to me that Brian is taking this split way too emotionally. Other coaches;Tom Zakrajsek, Frank Carroll, too, have parted ways with their star atheletes. The difference between them and Brian is that they kept quiet after the split and saved their relationship, if not friendship, with their skaters.

Hopefully he will learn from this experience.

Too emotion because he put his sole and heart in it, which shows he truly loves Yuna. When a loving couple breaks up, one side may tell his (her) friends that how unfair the other party was. It does not mean it is out of vengence. It is simply "too emotional" as you said, and it is unwise and may become hurtful to both.

In Brian's every interview, he critized only how he was treated and never attacked the other party in a personal level and even suggested a room for reconciliation (e.g., he said he will still coach Yuna if she and her mom decide to). However, I got the impression that Yuna's party was full of personal attack (e.g., calling him liar, and now the statement in response to his revealing the LP music saying, "This can only be construed as a move intended to hurt the skater'').

They both are hurting each other, one side unintentionally, the other on purpose and maliciously.

It is my impression that Yuna camp kept their mouth shut not because they didn't want to disclose the reasons, but because they had no good reasons. They have been waited and waited till Brian made a mouth slip and finally found a good reason to fight back.

samsarah

Rinkside
What did Mao do wrong? Even if he was offered, there's nothing wrong with it. If he wasn't offered, he made this up and it's his fault that making this up to confirm the rumor while it was floating around making the Yuna camp uneasy in April.

I apoligize if I had made you uncomfortable by mentioning Mao.
But I did not accuse her of doing any wrong.
On the contrary, I feel quite sympathetic for her that she had to be involuntarily dragged in to this public mess.

However, if Brian indeed was offered by Mao's agency and it was Mao who is denying that offer now, I think there could be a possible major issue there, because it would be Mao who had been continueosly telling a lie.

If there was no offer and Brian made up the email and interviews with the Korean media, that he was contacted by Mao's agent several times, whom he gives the name is Mariko Wada (of IMG Japan), he not only acted in bad faith toward his client (=Yuna), but also decieved us who have supported him in this forum.

It is either Brian or Mao who is telling the truth about this misterious offer. While my heart goes out for Brian, it is also hard to believe that Mao, a classy lady, would have sectretely contacted Brian to be her coach several times, and then publicly denied it.