Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada

Layfan

Record Breaker
he spoke it five months(?) ago. It's not like this was a new interview. It was less tactful and easily manipulated, but he didn't mean as much as what people are putting into it. He's just saying he felt connected to his Chinese roots... that being said, he was uneducated (or says as much) about what life would really be like. He has a Disney-esque world view... grass is always greener...

exactly.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
People watch him winning every event even with alot of falls and other mistakes in many of them and why would they be attracted to that, even Canadians. :laugh: For me it easy to understand why he isnt very marketable here. Browning and Stojko were warriors who earned every point and every win they ever got, who skated at a time of interesting rivalries and actual competition, not boring "dont fall more than 6 times" coronations. They are in a different league in that sense, even though Chan is probably a better overall skater than Stojko.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
People watch him winning every event even with alot of falls and other mistakes in many of them and why would they be attracted to that, even Canadians. :laugh: For me it easy to understand why he isnt very marketable here. Browning and Stojko were warriors who earned every point and every win they ever got, who skated at a time of interesting rivalries and actual competition, not boring "dont fall more than 6 times" coronations. They are in a different league in that sense, even though Chan is probably a better overall skater than Stojko.

People watch him win the biggest events cleanly, decisively, convincingly and dominantly. They watched him smash records, officially, in front of thousands of live audiences and millions worldwide vie video. They watch him lead the way in his sport for others to try to catch up with him. They see and hear the great ones in the sport pay him respect and accolades. So what if a few annonymous nerds keep snickering at him as if they don't have any embarrassing baby pictures around?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
People watch him win the biggest events cleanly, decisively, convincingly and dominantly. They watched him smash records, officially, in front of thousands of live audiences and millions worldwide vie video. They watch him lead the way in his sport for others to try to catch up with him. They see and hear the great ones in the sport pay him respect and accolades. So what if a few annonymous nerds keep snickering at him as if they don't have any embarrassing baby pictures around?

Who are these "they" exactly. :laugh: Chan himself is whining and pouting that not even any Canadians care about him or his success much, that nobody watches him, and that nobody is offering him financial aid. The TV ratings in North America for skating events are the lowest ever, and the last pro skating tour existing in the U.S is soon to go under as well. Tickets for the Grand Prix final in Canada were still on sale to the last day. It is more like his only supporters seems to be a few "anonymous nerds" as you so tactfully put it.

PS- Scott Hamilton and Elvis Stojko have also both called out his scores as being grossly inflated so I guess that is what you mean by the great ones showering him with accolades.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Who are these "they" exactly. :laugh: Chan himself is whining and pouting that not even any Canadians care about him or his success much, that nobody watches him, and that nobody is offering him financial aid. The TV ratings in North America for skating events are the lowest ever, and the last pro skating tour existing in the U.S is soon to go under as well. Tickets for the Grand Prix final in Canada were still on sale to the last day. It is more like his only supporters seems to be a few "anonymous nerds" as you so tactfully put it.

PS- Scott Hamilton and Elvis Stojko have also both called out his scores as being grossly inflated so I guess that is what you mean by the great ones showering him with accolades.

You watch him, don't you? Else why all the :laugh: and the constant bashing of his performances? More than watching him, you follow him, don't you? Else why all the interjections when he is being discussed? And you seem to pride yourself in being so knowledgeable about him and to be good in citing your ammunition because of your keen interest in knowing all about him. I'd even call it an obsession.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Uhhh, wasn't Patrick complaining that people don't do that?

No he wasn't. That's just another piled on impression generated. He lamented that people, e.g. those who post nasty Youtube comments about his record smashing performance, don't appreciate the hard work skaters put in and what the sport is about. "People" who are skating fans watch him and others, but their number is small compared to a truly popular sport such as hockey in Canada. Both the number of fans and the level of knowledge and appreciation about figure skating, and the resulting small financial rewards and puny fundng for training, make the hard work, parental sacrifices, and money worries seem unworthwhile at times. IOW, after all that, even when you reach the pinnacle of the sport, you are not only broke and indebted, you also get hateful criticism. Understandably discouraging, overcome only by the love of the sport itself.

brightphoton

Medalist
Oh, I see. If Patrick had been in a more popular sport like hockey, then everyone would appreciate him and no one would take his hard work for granted and no one would criticize him on Youtube. Greener grass, indeed.

Oh, I see. If Patrick had been in a more popular sport like hockey, then everyone would appreciate him and no one would take his hard work for granted and no one would criticize him on Youtube. Greener grass, indeed.

I can't tell if this is meant sincerely or sarcastically. But yes, if he were Wayne Gretsky he would be rich famous and adored. :yes:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

In this case, it is greener. One can't be sure of personal popularity but any NHL rookie is super rich compared to a Canadian skater, even the World Champion. And the sport is more respected as a real sport instead of being ridiculed and dismissed by the jocks.

But people have different aptitudes and callings. Patrick is too small for professional hockey, but he is good at tennis and skiing as well. However, his life path is in figure skating, in which he can make a mark with his super talent.

You can spend or you can invest. Choose your sport carefully if money is an important consideration.

eta. Patrick is good in golf too. He is quite an athlete and can be successful in a number of sports if he has chosen them. He would not need a success anywhere near what he has achieved in figure skating to make a very comfortable income.

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
I really did try to read this thread....but just couldn't. No offense to anyone, but IMHO, Chan just expressed a certain kind of feeling very common among many immigrants (the part about in a perfect world) and again, IMHO, feeling the sort of pressure, appreciation, and wish for an easier life for his parents and wider community that sacrificed much for his training and ultimately, success.

Anyway, from what I was able to read and digest, and for what it is worth, I think Mathman has some great points

seniorita

Record Breaker
Lessons learnt these few days for Patrick Chan:

- during interview, tell lies, tell what people like to hear
- whatever you have in your mind, don't say it even though it's how you feel
- never tell the truth, don't be honest
- never be a politician cause that means you'll have to tell lies and fake stories

Yup, that's what our society has become. We all love fakeness.
If you had followed Vancouver2010, you would know by now gracious was the key word in figure skating interviews.
Anyway i think SC is making things worse now, they took the interview and made it bigger deal than what we do in fan boards. If every federation was making an inquiry everytime a skater didnt say sth or was misquoted in press...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I can't tell if this is meant sincerely or sarcastically. But yes, if he were Wayne Gretsky he would be rich famous and adored. :yes:

It's possible for figure skaters to reach that, though... Browning beat out Gretsky in sports fan polls when both were really at the height of their careers.

wallylutz

Medalist
For what it is worth, at the 2012 Worlds, there won't be a Canadian judge at the Men's panel but there will be, not one but two Chinese judges, one from CHN and one from TPE. And if Chan really is that popular in Korea, well that would help him as well because Korea will also be on the Men's panel. So if Plushenko is really coming back and you believe in judges favoring certain skaters for nationality reason, Chan's recent comments could endear him with some of the judges that will actually matter at this year's Worlds - not that he is going to need much help if he skate clean, you just never know. ;)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You mean the manipulative twisted report to hurt Patrick might backfire and help his Worlds chances? If I were a big believer of judging politics and conspiracies, I would LMAO at the irony!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
You mean the manipulative twisted report to hurt Patrick might backfire and help his Worlds chances? If I were a big believer of judging politics and conspiracies, I would LMAO at the irony!

maybe that was the media's plan all along.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I honestly don't know where does this 'skating for South Korean skating federation' come from! He's talked about the financial strain his skating has put on his family, do you really think he would skate for South Korea just so he could get the money when the article also focused on his Chinese heritage? I understand if you disliked Patrick because of his words or his skating, but this has come too far, don't you think?

Originally, I was being a bit fascetious and just threw out the answer -and said I had no idea if Korea would even accept an ethnic chinese skater raised in Canada, but then there are no great men in Korea and if Korea is like the US, they'd take him an run. He said in a way wistfully he missed rock star status of two 90's Canadian skaters skating during the big money days.and was rueful at the money hockey players get, and I understand that FS standouts are much better athletes and even some are true artistic people. But here in USA we see teachers/firefighters fighting for their pensions while sports stars get rediculous millions. He has real points to make re where FS is in the world. But he comes across as in a self centered bubble. Surely someone that bright/ talented knows how ungrateful it sounds. He will grow up, as Os points out. His emotional age is quite young.

We are all sad, us fans that elite skating is for those with money or ability to take a second mortgage. His earning power in Canada or anywhere is just beginning.

Most champions became well off after college and hard work. Patrick is not entitled to anything accept what he might earn. Jeff Buttle got an engineering degree. Still skates, but that's smart/adult decision, not whining there are not enough ice shows, money in the sport.

This is a very fortunate young guy who should tell everyone of his sacrificial family, their work ethic and how those people made him a champion, a whole group. If one is NOT Asian, one sees these amazing parents with envy. Kwan's family did the same, Dorothy's, Scotts, all of them have incredible parents. The world is in economic collapse/elite skating has a small budget I'm guessing.

Evan of OGM is apparently not getting what he thought he should. Patrick doesn't have the OGM and a few more years at the top. I can hardly feel sorry as there are many ways to resolve his issues. With more titles and good skating, he'll be skating in Korea, Japan, USA, Canada, maybe Russian shows.

And there will be endorsements if he is humble and creative with good mgmt. He will likely get rich Canadian sponsors. Don't be surprised if next story read. "Anonymous skating fan pays off Chan Family debt."

My country is in debt and the world is on a precipice, with millions being no bodies with no help. Patrick should focus on who he can help and the skate luvrs in Canada will like appear with checkbooks.;)

i was being a bit silly about Korea, but hey, it makes for a great possible story line. No, he's not Yuna Kim, born to Korea, but maybe the people there really like him. So, if he is headed to Sochi it would not work.

I'm sure the family is healthy, working, has plans to do what they must. It's not like Chan is going to hav to quit, like SO MANY POTENTIAL GREAT SKATERS EVERYWHERE. How many parents are maybe bankrupt after their kids skated a couple times at USA Nationals? It is now back to an amateur sport an that is why Miss Flatt will put education first.

Again, I ask, as amateur in Canada, can he accept endorsement deals???? Is this allowed? He cute, charming and a champ--surely he can sell something if allowed. He only needs to pursue it if allowable. He is just beginning. I know someone who mortgaged his house 4 times for really sad, hard reasons.

Patrick, LOL could sell skivvies! Hey, it's honest work (just kidding for those with uber serious thinking!) He'll be fine.

And I think Chan's a good kid, no dislike, never met him, initially I was put off like many, but it's a molehill. Forgiven and forgotten from this usa fan. This is just discussion. We are essentially here to amuse ourselves and talk all things skating. i doubt anyone dislikes Patrick based on a coupla comments he made. Only the Canadians would have any investment in his chatter. i wish him well-he'll work it all out, I'm sure.

seniorita

Record Breaker
For what it is worth, at the 2012 Worlds, there won't be a Canadian judge at the Men's panel but there will be, not one but two Chinese judges, one from CHN and one from TPE. And if Chan really is that popular in Korea, well that would help him as well because Korea will also be on the Men's panel. So if Plushenko is really coming back and you believe in judges favoring certain skaters for nationality reason, Chan's recent comments could endear him with some of the judges that will actually matter at this year's Worlds - not that he is going to need much help if he skate clean, you just never know. ;)
Maybe I missed a whole conversation between the pages but why Plushenko's comeback is a factor that has to do with Chan and judges and Korea?

luckykid

On the Ice
Patrick will skate in Korea but will never skate for Korea.
Some time in August, when he was vacationing in Singapore, he did say he will be willing to represent Singapore. Not in figure skating, but in alpine skiing, tennis or golf.
http://sports.zaobao.com/pages16/others110802c.shtml
It's in Chinese, but google translate works fine.

Anyway it appears that when Chan is in a particular country, he will have say something that relates to that particular country.

fscric

On the Ice
Having read the article, I don't think people should take that part about Patrick representing Singapore seriously. This is not just me being a Patrick fan trying to defend him. Here's what I got from the article. The journalist has put several of Patrick's ideas in direct quotes - he would love to set up figure skating courses in Singapore for the kids after his skating career, he loves and feels comfortable in Singapore, he didn't skate well in Vancouver Olympics etc. The part about representing Singapore was not a direct quote and that part sounds to me the journalist suggested to Patrick at the end of a conversation about his other interests that perhaps he may represent Singapore after he finishes with his figure skating career and he responded with something like 'why not'. Granted, this is just how I feel about the article and I'm not forcing it on other people, I'm just giving my take.