Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada

I mean, is there really a difference between his “unnappreciated in Canada” remark and Ali saying “No Viet Cong ever called me nigger”?

Maybe a difference of scale.

Ali, standing upon his religious convictions, refused induction into the United States Army during the Viet Nam War. He was convicted and sentenced to five years in prison.

Although he eventually won conscientious objector status in the courts, he was stripped of his heavyweight title and his license to box, and lost three prime earning years of his boxing career. He publicly opposed the war before opposing the war was cool. He was one of the first well-known Americans to take a stand, risking his career, his livelihood, and his freedom.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
First of all I would not call Jerry Thornton a journalist, he blogs for Barstool Sports in Boston. This article would never appear in any legit Boston newspaper. I also find his use of the "N" word offensive. Secondly to compare Patrick's situation to what Muhammed Ali went through is ridiculous. Not impressed at all.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe a difference of scale.

Ali, standing upon his religious convictions, refused induction into the United States Army during the Viet Nam War. He was convicted and sentenced to five years in prison.

Although he eventually won conscientious objector status in the courts, he was stripped of his heavyweight title and his license to box, and lost three prime earning years of his boxing career. He publicly opposed the war before opposing the war was cool. He was one of the first well-known Americans to take a stand, risking his career, his livelihood, and his freedom.

I am glad Patrick is not facing the same challenges of that era. It's a shame the Americans are letting go of the freedom Ali and others fought so hard for. No telling what Patrick, and we, will have to face in the current and rapidly unfolding painful transition into a new era. I think the writer's admiration is in the title. It's about talking the talk and, in Patrick's case, skating the skate. Patrick always speaks from the heart. He faced the world, explained his talk but he didn't take it back. As I said before, his career, maybe his life, is like that SP quad combo, too big and at full speed, so it hit the board. He got right back up and thundered down the other end and put down his problem jump and delivered the winning program. Unstoppable. A follow GS member expressed in a PM worries for Patrick before the competition and I told her Patrick was tough and this would be just another learning opportunity for him. Glad I was right, but I never doubted it. I am a fan because of what I saw in him, and joined the forum declaring my fandom when he had fallen 8 times in 2 events and getting slammed relentlessly.

Imagine if Patrick were a politician! :laugh: That would be the most interesting scenario ever! I bet he would be loved for his integrity and honesty and hated for the same qualities. Nah, too dangerous for him.

IPogue, as Mathman said, it's a matter of scale and far from the same thing. But the writer did see what many missed -courage and integrity in the face of injustice and persecution.

Patrick attracted so much condemnation and hatred he did not deserve because of his heritage, which he refuses to deny even under such attacks. There would not have been any national news if similar things were said by someone with a, say, Irish heritage. As I posted before, other Canadian skaters have actually skated for various other countries without raising an eyebrow. Here he is called a traitor and told to leave Canada just musing about his feelings about being Chinese at an emotional time, both because of the recent visit to his parents' homeland (which can be overwhelmingly majestic and historical), and his immence gratitude to his parents and the Chinese community in Canada. He never considered giving up representing Canada but in answering a question, said yes, it would be ideal (i.e. impossible in reality) if he could represent both countries. What an uproar that caused! But he didn't shirk from the storm, and answered back with integrity and with his skating. As much as his performances have been criticized because he won, did anyone actually think it was an easy feat under the circumstances? He showed a lot of heart and courage.

Last edited:
^ Re your last paragraph, I wonder. Johnny Weir took a lot of heat in the USA for wearing a USSR jacket during the 2006 Olympics. Somewhat parallel. Race/ethnicity had nothing to do with it. The point in that case was, a skater representing the US expressed close to a preference for another nation at the exactly wrong time, especially considering the history of the two nations' relations.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No, I disagree. The Johnny thing could be read as an affectation, and it was for the evil Russians, so of course the media took it and ran with it.

There's a much bigger discussion surrounding the issue of race here (and yes, I'm a visible-minority-first-Generation-Canadian, like Chan) then can be held in this forum, but I do think that had a part to it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think it was inappropriate to wear another nation's jacket while representing the US. However, I find it very narrow minded to condemn his affinity for Russia and its culture. He is free to admire any culture he wants and it's admiable to know and be even well versed in another language and culture. Aren't Americans proud that other nationalities admire the US and what it stands for? That they wish to live there and adopt the American way of life? So what's wrong for an American to do the same about another country? Especially when Americans are so proud of their freedom?

SF, your first line sums up the episode. The other questions didn't even enter into it. (And belong in the political part of the forum, IMO, but I'm not a mod.)

Alissa Czisny majored in international studies, Russian, and French, and I'm quite sure she's never gotten anything but respect for her intellect and interests. But if as US champion she announced that she'd rather skate for one of those countries because America did not reward her sufficiently, it would not be well received.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No, I disagree. The Johnny thing could be read as an affectation, and it was for the evil Russians, so of course the media took it and ran with it.

I've grown up within a very strong Russian community here in Alaska - I don't find Russians evil. I didn't appreciate Weir's lack of team spirit, though, in 2006. Nor did I appreciate his whining afterwards like he didn't know what he did wrong.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Spun Silver, Chan never said he would rather skate for another country. A hypothetical and ideal scenario was presented to him and he said yes. It was very conditional, the condition being he represents Canada under all circumstances, and would represent China too only under an ideal situation. He was emotional at the time and was babbling away on the phone. Since then he's gone on to proudly represent Canada 3 times internationally without any further thought of this hypothetical question.

If you're American, you may not know that Canada is supposed to be a very accepting nation. Instead of a melting pot, we celebrate multiculturism. People proudly proclaim and celebrate their heritage. It's common for the second or even third generation Canadians to speak their heritage languages, unlike in the US. Racism is more subtle but it's there, unfortunately. At times, prejudices raises its ugly head.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
If you're American, you may not know that Canada is supposed to be a very accepting nation. Instead of a melting pot, we celebrate multiculturism. People proudly proclaim and celebrate their heritage. It's common for the second or even third generation Canadians to speak their heritage languages, unlike in the US. Racism is more subtle but it's there, unfortunately. At times, prejudices raises its ugly head.

yeah we're all backwoods rednecks here in the U.S. of A.

what you're describing of your beloved country is really no different than here... acceptance didn't happen overnight on either side of the border.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I've grown up within a very strong Russian community here in Alaska - I don't find Russians evil. I didn't appreciate Weir's lack of team spirit, though, in 2006. Nor did I appreciate his whining afterwards like he didn't know what he did wrong.

I was being sarcastic with the evil Russians thing, but I agree on the rest. I also think SF was pointing out the difference in celebrating the multicultural mosaic Canada espouses as opposed to the American melting pot, not accusing the USA of being backwoods rednecks.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
^ Re your last paragraph, I wonder. Johnny Weir took a lot of heat in the USA for wearing a USSR jacket during the 2006 Olympics. Somewhat parallel. Race/ethnicity had nothing to do with it. The point in that case was, a skater representing the US expressed close to a preference for another nation at the exactly wrong time, especially considering the history of the two nations' relations.

Johnny Weir's situation and Patrick Chan's are totally different thing!

Johnny went out of his way to take fancy of another culture, (whether it was Russian or any other one, it didn't matter). Wore another country's uniform while representing USA in a big international competition. It was a deliberate effort to stay in the center of the attention.

Patrick Chan was seeking his own root and found and felt more connection with his own heritage. What he thought was just a spontaneous reflection on his temporary mood of frustration, and concerns for his parents. Representing both China and Canada was what he thought diplomatic answer to the very question he was directly asked. As I've thought from the very first time when I read this reuters interview, it didn't mean anything between the lines. And it won't change anything either.

I'd imagine that his parents must have been very proud that their only son has shown such understanding and caring heart and appreciation for his background. To me, it has actually made Patrick such a warm, nice, and lovable person. I want to give him a big hug and say, "Good for you, Patrick!"

Understanding all these has made him appreciate more of his parents' sacrifices and re-ignite his own goals and beliefs, and made him more of a complete person. He will always be a proud Canadian and represent Canada. Don't you ever doubt it!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I was being sarcastic with the evil Russians thing, but I agree on the rest.

no, I know, but I was matching tone with it. I was just saying it wasn't because he was all about Russia; had it been a team Canada jacket I would have been as annoyed as I was with it being Russia.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I didn't follow Johnny Weir's incident at the 2006 Olympics. It sounds like he was being provocative and a backlash was natural and inevitable.

Spun Silver, Chan never said he would rather skate for another country. A hypothetical and ideal scenario was presented to him and he said yes. It was very conditional, the condition being he represents Canada under all circumstances, and would represent China too only under an ideal situation. He was emotional at the time and was babbling away on the phone. Since then he's gone on to proudly represent Canada 3 times internationally without any further thought of this hypothetical question.

SF, it sounds to me like you have a very dated, inaccurate view of the US. If you ever visit NYC, or NJ for that matter, you will find countless ethnic/cultural/racial groups speaking different languages and embodying different cultures. Proudly proclaiming them too. I wonder what you have been seeing or hearing that made you think differently. :scratch:

Wow, he speaks fluent French too. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
SF, it sounds to me like you have a very dated, inaccurate view of the US. If you ever visit NYC, or NJ for that matter, you will find countless ethnic/cultural/racial groups speaking different languages and embodying different cultures. Proudly proclaiming them too. I wonder what you have been seeing or hearing that made you think differently. :scratch:

It's the same on the West Coast, too.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I lived in the US, and have lived in and visited NYC various times and had very uncommon experiences there. :) Actually NYC is not typically American. It offers the best and the worst of the US. Lately I wouldn't want to be in the US at all or even try crossing the border. I know it's become much more cosmopolitan these days, but it's still a melting pot with a main stream culture. The reverse assimilation of mainstream Americans adopting some of the ethnic cultures have helped the minority communities thrive but this past decade has been tense and liberty and acceptance have reverted.