Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I lived in the US, and have lived in and visited NYC various times and had very uncommon experiences there. :) Actually NYC is not typically American. It offers the best and the worst of the US. Lately I wouldn't want to be in the US at all or even try crossing the border. I know it's become much more cosmopolitan these days, but it's still a melting pot with a main stream culture. The reverse assimilation of mainstream Americans adopting some of the ethnic cultures have helped the minority communities thrive but this past decade has been tense and liberty and acceptance have reverted.

Oh please, are you an authority on US assimilation of ethnic cultures? Sounds like your are dissing the US, If you are take it to the political section.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I'll say this one time, and hope this thread won't be moved into Politics folder, as a Canadian who has lived in US for over a decade, I think both melting pot policy and multi-culture policy have their own pros and cons. I like both of them for different reasons. I'd state my reasons in politics folder if there were one such thread, but not here.

Back on topic:

What Browning said about Patrick:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/1...han-hero-worship-and-mean-old-hockey-players/

Kurt Browning describes Patrick Chan as a “friend.” He likes the kid, likes that he speaks his mind and adds a little spice to the figure skating scene.

Proud to call Chan our own:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2011/12/12/chan_canada_proud/

The fact is, Patrick Chan is not only a world class skater, he’s also a proud Canadian. The Reuters article saying otherwise was not only mean spirited, it was inaccurate and just another example of the denigration of journalism in this sensationalistic era.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
For those who question Patrick Chan's patriotism, this is what he posted on Twitter on July 1:

Happy Birthday Canada! #ProudToBeCanadian and skating for a country so Strong and Free
1 Jul via web

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Pointing out Canadian hypocricy got me slammed by the Americans. Interesting. :think:

OK, I said I don't wish to be in the US or try crossing the border these days. You have no idea of my personal experiences in both cases.

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Chan should talk with Savchenko/Szolkowy, then he would maybe get a glimpse of what it means to be unappreciated. And to praise China and the involvement of the Chinese government in sports, is very naive. In China one mindless expression of individuality or one mindless comment by him would have destroyed his career forever. There is hardly a better country than Canada to be born in for a figure skater.

I can not undersstand these remarks about Chan and Patrick. It's the skating that counts-not their personalities. Why sissify them and have them behave like good little girls? In the long run, all this gone, and it's move on.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
To put it all into perspective so to whether he is/is not unappreciated:

Patrick Chan grumbles he is unappreciated-- page count for that thread is 18; subsequent threads started by Chan fans with EVERY article published since the date showing how appreciated he is.

Mao Asada loses her mother-- page count of that thread is 9 (Half!), and there is only one other thread posting an article about Mao's loss.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
There is no controversy in Mao's Mom's passing. People offer condolences and express some thoughts. There is no digging out her history to criticize, provoking defence of her honor. Nothing but respect and sympathy is paid in this event.

The two topics are completely irrelevent to each other.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
There is no controversy in Mao's Mom's passing. People offer condolences and express some thoughts. There is no digging out her history to criticize, provoking defence of her honor. Nothing but respect and sympathy is paid in this event.

While this is true, it's still rather sad that people would rather pay more attention to controversy than convey the good things Mao's mom did for her skating. Without Mao's mom, we would not have had Mao in skating anyway.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
While this is true, it's still rather sad that people would rather pay more attention to controversy than convey the good things Mao's mom did for her skating. Without Mao's mom, we would not have had Mao in skating anyway.

True. The sad truth is people love controversies. The media know it and look to deliver them.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Exactly. That bothered me a bit too.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Exactly. That bothered me a bit too.

you know what? I can totally understand why the fact that Patrick's thread keep growing bothers you. But I just cannot understand why you say Mao's mom's thread shorter bothers you? You didn't even care to post a single post in Mao mother condolences thread before or after she passed away or in the other Mao thread.:rolleye:

Last edited:

Redstone

Rinkside
True. The sad truth is people love controversies. The media know it and look to deliver them.
Reading about some kid putting his foot in the mouth makes a person excited and righteous. Reading about other kid's passing makes people sad. And nobody wants to be sad or think about their own parents death.

brightphoton

Medalist
What an intriguing question. Why don't people like talking about dead people being dead? Could it be the depressing nature of the question? The morbidity? Overall sadness? Hmmm, it's as if people don't like those things.

prettykeys

Medalist
^ Or the finality. You pay your respects and move on. It's not like a controversial topic where people share different opinions, thoughts, and perspectives.

I don't find the thread post count comparison "sad" at all. There is less to discuss when people are in agreement; it doesn't mean that less attention was paid.

Edit: I also had to add that Muhammad Ali is a fascinating person. I am always very intrigued by fighters/boxers who are intelligent and aware. Normally, fighters are associated with brutishness.

Last edited:

spikydurian

Medalist
All I can say is these comments from Chan have doubtless done nothing to increase Canadian support for figure skaters!!

I realize Chan is young and entitled to make some mistakes, but these comments are just so immature and ill-considered. If he thinks it's so great to live under a Communist regime in a country still lacking many freedoms and opportunities for its citizens, let him move there and experience it for himself. I think he'd be in for a culture shock.

I fully support being in touch with your ethnic heritage, but to say he wishes he could compete for China is taking it a step too far. I'm sure the Canadian federation, which has supported him throughout his career, is less than thrilled with these comments. If he really does feel this way, at least have the grace to keep it to himself rather than showing such ingratitude to the Canadian federation and fans.

It reminds me of Johnny Weir's wearing a CCCP jacket at the Turin Olympics. Another juvenile and ultimately ill-considered move. Chan does indeed have a serious case of "foot-in-mouth" disease. I find myself wincing after nearly every interview.
Did you hear it directly from his mouth or journalists' quotes.

Patrick was in China getting attention and interviewed a number of times, with focus on his Chinese origin. Both the interviewers and himself sought connection with the Chinese audience and what I've read and watched show him in a very good light, sincerely expressing his identification with his race and his parents' motherland and culture. He has never said anything against Canada or his non Chinese fans. He expressed a lot of gratitude for his supporters and fundraisers without any emphasis that they were mainly Chinese Canadians. His TV interview, done in English, was linked here but was geoblocked when I checked last night. I can see how the section comparing the financial situations of Canadian and Chinese athletes, not just skaters, could be twisted to suit a different agenda. Yet no viewers of that interview got any sense of him "whining" and complaining about Canada. We can all believe if he gave any such impression there would have been condemnation outbreak right then, not now.

Why is this interview published now for Western audience, out of time and place and purposely misleading with implication it was conducted last week and it was Chan's predominant thought currently? Like other Reuter writings during the Olympics, I strongly sense scandal manufacturing and an agenda to generate controversy. Barring the airing of original interview, I'll wait for Patrick himself to clear the air.

He mentioned about 'his parents willing to take care of him', an acknowledgement of his parent's sacrifices. No, he never did winch a single word about Canada. The interviewer compared how budding athletes are taken care of by the establishment in China whereas it's individuals taking care of themselves. Patrick matter-of-factly informed the interviewer that athletes/he learned to independent early on. He didn't even talked about ..'oh I wish I was training in China'. Unfortunately, Chan-haters will find every opportunity to nit-pick.

Patrick is just such an easy target. He speaks English and is accessible, open, too open, and as PJ and others repeatedly say, he answers every question posed to him. Ask him anything and he will answer. He is high profile in the sport, always a nice target to create some controversies with. He has a sincere demeanor to get his points across when he is not so articulate. But that makes his words very easy to twist in written reports. Also there are so many eager to go along with any negative portrayal of him for various reasons. In a way, he is a media's dream!

Patrick admitted reading youtube comments and that can get to anybody. I have read some ugly racist attacks on him too. When you work so hard and sacrifice so much, harsh criticisms, often unjust, can be very discouraging, especially when you are training away from your support base with few positive contacts and feedbacks to counter balance the bashing. You trained hard, putting your life on hold, smeshed some records and got to the top of Worlds podium, you wonder what else you can do to please the people while you feel guilty putting your parents through so much, and morally indebted to those who hve supported you with their hearts, efforts and wallets, pinning so much hope and pride on you. I think this 20 year old is tough, much tougher than most of us, to do what he does, day in and day out.

I hope he keeps his happy disposition, his focus, and his admirable character. And keeps kicking asses.
I was happy to see the Canadian crowd's support during this episode. Reading the comments and assuming the comments were from Canadians, would have given me the impression that Canadians are nasty and racist (comments include 'go back to China' smacks of racist tones) but I was proven wrong. Perhaps those who really appreciate figure skating and can afford to pay to watch skating live are a different lot of people.

I'm a Patrick fan and none of this really changes any thing I thought about him. I do think the sheltered only child elite athlete incite above has some merit. I'm looking forward to a great skate from him this weekend! Still it's unfortunate.

The zeitgeist for figure skating has move to east Asia. You only had to watch the crowds at the various Grand Prix to see that. Complaining about this seems as effective as complaining about the weather - at least a bunch of people somewhere are passionate about figure skating!

I'm sure there are lots of people at Skate Canada and the USFSA trying to figure out how to get skating more attention, and money, in North America. If Patrick is worried about this, he's in one the best positions to try and help, but complaining isn't gonna do it. If he's worried about the financial problems of his family, he knows where the money is. If he want more excitement at home, win more, skate for a long time, fall less (personally I don't care about his falls, but makes for more complicated stories), spend more time in Canada.

:think: If I am Patrick, I will learn Korean, get a Korean girlfriend and skate in Korea. Then I will be a millionaire like Yuna!

Patrick is like a little kid with much self admiration. I recall before Vancouver he announced in a decidedly put down way that Plushenko was "old." And the great champion was dismissed by Patrick. I'm sure he's gonna regret these comments in a few years. This is not the 90's skating scene post whack with money everywhere. I think his immaturity will not go well with Canadian fans who have supported him so well. I have never been enthralled with Patrick, tho he is very good.

Worlds cometh and I hope the best wins, Daisukue!

ETA: Patrick needs to watch Mao's Last Dancer to see what life was like not so long ago in China and see what artists had to sacrifice to be in the West and acheive the success he has had. The world is suffering and so many are, this seems like someone should spank him...really.:rolleye:

:p
Plushenko is OLD relative to the other skaters! That's a fact.

In this case, it is greener. One can't be sure of personal popularity but any NHL rookie is super rich compared to a Canadian skater, even the World Champion. And the sport is more respected as a real sport instead of being ridiculed and dismissed by the jocks.

But people have different aptitudes and callings. Patrick is too small for professional hockey, but he is good at tennis and skiing as well. However, his life path is in figure skating, in which he can make a mark with his super talent.

You can spend or you can invest. Choose your sport carefully if money is an important consideration.

eta. Patrick is good in golf too. He is quite an athlete and can be successful in a number of sports if he has chosen them. He would not need a success anywhere near what he has achieved in figure skating to make a very comfortable income.
:agree: I read somewhere that he is good in golf as an amateur. Good game to take up .... longer performing life and definitely more $$$$$. I thine he may do that when he has reached his goals in figure skating.:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: