The truth behind Patrick Chan's China crisis | Page 5 | Golden Skate

The truth behind Patrick Chan's China crisis

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Originally Posted by brightphoton

Lewis Chan is a lawyer. If he didn't spend his income on Patrick, he would probably exchange it all into cash, dump it into an Olympic sized swimming pool, jump in, throw some paper in the air and shout, "money! money!"

Patrick's father was a a lawyer who is a chief of staff to provincial Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Mike Colle. I believe he makes what normal working class person makes.

Last edited:

Boeing787

On the Ice
Patrick's father was a a lawyer who is a chief of staff to provincial Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, Mike Colle. I believe he makes what normal working class person makes.

Right. He works for the government. One cannot get rich working for the government!

Brightphoton, was that a veiled Mitt Romney reference? :laugh:

(Just joshin'... I'll probably end up voting for the guy.)

Poodlepal

On the Ice
Before the boom in the 90s, did "amateur" skaters live a luxurious lifestyle? I don't remember hearing about Debi Thomas or Kristi Yamaguchi driving Ferraris or living in mansions. They didn't even get prize money.

It's too bad that Patrick doesn't seem to have the fame or career opportunities that Elvis Stojko or Kurt Browning may have had 15 years ago or so. It's too bad for all of them. But his life is hardly that bad that he'd be better off in China. He said something impolitic, and the author tried to make excuses for him. But this seems to be common.

Like when he falls, the announcers explain that his fall didn't disrupt the flow of the program, and only occurred because he cares so much and throws his whole body into, but when everyone else even steps out of a quad it's like they ought to be deeply ashamed.

We should just accept he can do no wrong, like the people on the other thread.

brightphoton

Medalist

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
ITA that not being able to pay for skating channels is less than tragic. You seem to be dodging the motorized wheelchair, however. That could come from any number of causes about which I won't speculate ... and to make an uninformed judgment that a poster's situation does not reflect adversity (the other term you used) is pretty mean-spirited in itself IMO, to adopt another term you use. .

Truthfully, I thought the poster was making a joke. That the two thoughts followed each other created an odd consonance that only made sense as a joke (I can't get gov't sponsoring for my motorized wheelchair. I can't get the channels the show figure skating.) I was probably wrong, so I apologize if I came off as thoughtless or mean-spirited there.

Truthfully, I thought the poster was making a joke. That the two thoughts followed each other created an odd consonance that only made sense as a joke (I can't get gov't sponsoring for my motorized wheelchair. I can't get the channels the show figure skating.) I was probably wrong, so I apologize if I came off as thoughtless or mean-spirited there.
Who knows, but that's very nice of you. :thumbsup:
It was a Scrooge McDuck reference. He's often seen diving into his giant swimming pool/bank vault of golden coins, doing the butterfly stroke, swimming laps, sometimes even wearing a bathing suit.

http://moneymaster.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/scrooge_mcduck.jpg

Unlike Patrick, however, Uncle Scrooge is a very charismatic character. :)
This is hilarious. I never heard of him before. I'm sure I will find a way to work this character into many conversations. (Democrats, do NOT quote me on Romney!) :biggrin:

We have a poster named Scrooge McDuck on this very board. I hope he is as rich as the original :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I doubt anyone here is starving in Africa, though.

You have no idea of my food budget and I doubt you would care. It is less than what you would believe. My point is well off posters think he's struggling. But I am beginning to think maybe Canada is not so enamored of Patrick because he is so immature. And Spun Silver is far more intuitive than you. Skating is a life long interest and one of my few distractions.

It is fine to have a patrick cheering thread for the kids/adults who need that. No problem. Great idea. But for Doris to characterize those who criticise his performances (he's admittedly the best in the world when he is on his feet) or are tired of his spoiled little kid behavior and say so, as 'haterz' is so wrong. I'm sure she knows no one hates a kid who is a source of entertainment for most of us.

BTW IP, many people are starving in America. I am an activist and things are very bad. Perhaps you are very advantaged, wrapped up in your hobbies and don't realize that. Yes, Spun Silver, I applaud your compassion and you are totally correct about skating being an outlet and the board a place to learn and express for those of us who can't fly to competitions. Thanks for the snark, IP, but no thanks.

You are perhaps part of his supporters in Canada? Or wrong assumption?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^I think you too make a lot of assumptions about other posters. People feel, react, and behave differently in all kinds of situations. Many here I'm sure have experienced all kinds of hardships, physical, emotional, financial, etc, and some have experienced successes and glories. Many have experienced many ups and downs in their lives. People are choosing this hobby and posting here for all kinds of personal reasons they need not disclose. There is no competition in miseries or glories. People deal with their personal difficulties in their own ways. If they do not exhibit the same emotions or behaviour as you, it does not mean they don't understand suffering or lack compassion.

But I'm quite certain that these personal hardships and successes have nothing to do with Patrick Chan and he should not be the focus or representation of what is wrong in the sociaty or be the target of bitterness and other negative emotions. I have no problem with so called ubers, but have a hard time understanding anti-fans or ubers so protective they see needs to bring down their idols' rivals. Support whomever you wish, but why be so fixated in accusing, or what you probably consider "exposing", a young person who has done you no wrong but have achieved so much and brought joy to many, even if not to you?

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Perhaps if Patrick was a bit more circumspect in his statements to the media, he'd get more support and more sponsors. It seems that he manages to insert his foot firmly in his mouth at least once or twice every season. While ardent fans consider this 'refreshing', not everyone does---Patrick alienates some fans and potential sponsors with his careless remarks.

The latest China uproar and the complaints about lack of $$ support don't do much for Chan's public image, especially at a time when many people are out of work and/or are having their homes foreclosed.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Perhaps if Patrick was a bit more circumspect in his statements to the media, he'd get more support and more sponsors. It seems that he manages to insert his foot firmly in his mouth at least once or twice every season. While ardent fans consider this 'refreshing', not everyone does---Patrick alienates some fans and potential sponsors with his careless remarks.

The latest China uproar and the complaints about lack of $$ support don't do much for Chan's public image, especially at a time when many people are out of work and/or are having their homes foreclosed.

This is reality skatefiguring...as an uber you still did not get what i said. chuckm said what most fans are thinking. and I am a fan of his skating. he has been very fortunate.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

This is reality skatefiguring...as an uber you still did not get what i said. chuckm said what most fans are thinking. and I am a fan of his skating. he has been very fortunate.

I detailed exactly what would happen economically and socially in the US back in 2004 during the election campaign in another forum with intention of preparing the members and was called ugly names. Now that things have unfolded exactly as I saw them, it gives me no joy or personal benefits. But I am more keenly aware of reality than most. You have no idea about my life experiences or others' but are making assumptions.

Patrick was a kid focusing on his chosen field while the world were going through changes. He has nothing to do with what happened with the world or you. Was anybody, or would you be, this tough on yourself at his age, assuming you had worked as hard and had the same success?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
But for Doris to characterize those who criticise his performances (he's admittedly the best in the world when he is on his feet) or are tired of his spoiled little kid behavior and say so, as 'haterz' is so wrong.

There are all kinds of posters. If you choose not to see the way it is and feel the needs to defend them, that's your choice. Plenty people support Doris. I'm so glad there is one thread dedicated to supporting Patrick who deserved better than he's got lately.

brightphoton

Medalist
:laugh: How silly that you guys are arguing about people who are genuinely poor and can't afford food ... when the main Chan article is about some rich family who are spending too much money on lots of unnecessary skating stuff and have some money left over but not as much as they'd wish and they'd wish the government would give them more money so they could spend even more of it.

I once read an equally silly article about a woman who made $50,000 a year but said it's like she made minimum wage because she spent all her money on expensive vacations and spas and clothes. NOPE, that's not like making minimum wage. See, Patrick Chan's family and silly woman, spending all your money and not having much left over is not in any way equivalent to not having much money in the first place.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:unsure: No wonder you constantly reprimand other posters.

If you consider bringing up facts/realities, such as real numbers and records, to dispell myths/slanders, as "reprimend", why are you surprised others call incessant harsh and non fact based "criticism" hate?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
:laugh: How silly that you guys are arguing about people who are genuinely poor and can't afford food ... when the main Chan article is about some rich family who are spending too much money on lots of unnecessary skating stuff and have some money left over but not as much as they'd wish and they'd wish the government would give them more money so they could spend even more of it.

I once read an equally silly article about a woman who made $50,000 a year but said it's like she made minimum wage because she spent all her money on expensive vacations and spas and clothes. NOPE, that's not like making minimum wage. See, Patrick Chan's family and silly woman, spending all your money and not having much left over is not in any way equivalent to not having much money in the first place.

Patrick is not responsible for anyone's hardship in their own lives. I question whether it is right to be bitter to any skaters because one's own life is bitter? If you use the "poor and can't afford food" (By the way, it's the first time ever I've heard this kind of claims on figure skating boards.) measurement to measure skaters, every skater is "rich". Figure skating is rich people's sport. Talking about skaters, one should put the topic into perspective. Or there is no need to talk about it at all.

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
No, but Patrick is partially responsible for the whole "my parents sacrificed so much, I wish I were in China so their government would pick up the tab."

leading to

his PR team doing damage control and writing articles saying simultaneously
"Patrick is rather dim and doesn't know what he's saying"
and
"See, his life is soooo hard. See how much he and his parents suffer?"

No, it's not. And no, they don't. But nice try, Chan PR team.