Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl! | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Miki Ando is now mother of a baby girl!

Lota

Record Breaker
Ooops, sorry about that, my mistake. Still, I guess while she did do a very good job of keeping the news under wraps, some people still must've known :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
No biggie, and no apology necessary.
I would hope that fellow skaters who were aware all along were trusted friends with whom Ando chose to share the happy news -- in strict confidence.
What I think is remarkable and admirable is that those within the skating community who knew Ando's secret (even if they did not hear it directly from her) evidently were careful not to let it spread to the public at large. :thumbsup:
I believe I read earlier in this thread that an unconfirmed rumor had been circulating. But her official announcement still seemed to catch fans off guard in Japan and elsewhere.

I guess that skaters have plenty of experience protecting each other's privacy -- re programs, injuries, love lives, etc.
But I think that they still deserve a lot of credit regarding Ando's highly personal situation.

No biggie, and no apology necessary.
I would hope that fellow skaters who were aware all along were trusted friends with whom Ando chose to share the happy news -- in strict confidence.
What I think is remarkable and admirable is that those within the skating community who knew Ando's secret (even if they did not hear it directly from her) evidently were careful not to let it spread to the public at large. :thumbsup:
I believe I read earlier in this thread that an unconfirmed rumor had been circulating. But her official announcement still seemed to catch fans off guard in Japan and elsewhere.

I guess that skaters have plenty of experience protecting each other's privacy -- re programs, injuries, love lives, etc.
But I think that they still deserve a lot of credit regarding Ando's highly personal situation.

I agree. I always admire people who are able to keep a confidence, and when the situation involves people in the public eye, it must be even more difficult to do so. It says something about the maturity of individual skaters and the tightness of the skating community that Miki was able to keep this situation out of the news until she was ready.

NMURA

Medalist
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130721/fig13072119060000-n1.html

The JSF is going to set the minimum technical scores for Ando whether to designate as a national team athlete. Details are yet to be decided. If Ando could not pass the minimum at Eastern sectionals, she can't participate international competitions before the Olympics, and her chance for Sochi is doomed. They are also making a condition to land five different triples.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20130721/fig13072119060000-n1.html

The JSF is going to set the minimum technical scores for Ando whether to designate as a national team athlete. Details are yet to be decided. If Ando could not pass the minimum at Eastern sectionals, she can't participate international competitions before the Olympics, and her chance for Sochi is doomed. They are also making a condition to land five different triples.

This is stupid. She won everything in 2010-2011 season except the GPF without the 3F. The current world champion who broke all the records and considered one of the best skaters ever does 4 kind of triples. Jeez. They aren't giving her any chance

NMURA

Medalist
Recently, Ando has made a comment again that making the Olympic team is a "reward." It simply puts, I admit there's no chance of a medal for me but just want to participate the Olympics for my personal satisfaction (and publicity stunt). At the Olympics, what matter are medals and future expectations (building experiences for young hopefuls). Ando has no possibility to contribute for Japan in both respects.

I believe this new norm is an idea of Hidehito Ito (JSF figure skating director). He is the one who publicly denied the possibility of preferential treatments for a "mother athlete" just the next day of Ando's disclosure. It is now apparent that the 3rd skater is likely to be chosen by technical merits. Miyahara is in the better position. Ito has personally expressed expectations for Miyahara (a young skater who can lead Japanese ladies after Sochi). She is mentally stable and technically consistent. Unless the caller is unseasonably stringent, she has the best chance for Sochi after Asada and Murakami.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I believe this new norm is an idea of Hidehito Ito (JSF figure skating director). He is the one who publicly denied the possibility of preferential treatments for a "mother athlete" just the next day of Ando's disclosure. It is now apparent that the 3rd skater is likely to be chosen by technical merits. Miyahara is in the better position. Ito has personally expressed expectations for Miyahara (a young skater who can lead Japanese ladies after Sochi). She is mentally stable and technically consistent. Unless the caller is unseasonably stringent, she has the best chance for Sochi after Asada and Murakami.

Sigh. I hope they don't hold her up like the USFSA is holding up Agnes and strip a (potentially) more-deserving skater of a trip to the Olympics. Her jumps are so tiny!

chloepoco

Medalist
Sigh. I hope they don't hold her up like the USFSA is holding up Agnes and strip a (potentially) more-deserving skater of a trip to the Olympics. Her jumps are so tiny!

Miyahara's jumps may be small, but she does everything else very beautifully!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's just hard to take seriously a skater who is only about 4"8 skating against the big girls. It's fine to be that small as a Junior but being that tiny a skater as a Senior that small just lacks the power and bigger jumps of a older more mature skater.

NMURA

Medalist
It's not a matter of height but the federation's backing.

Anyway, I suspect Miyahara's biggest threat could be Riona Kato, not Suzuki or Ando.
Kato is said be going for the quad salchow in competition (landing it in practice?)
I think the 3rd spot will go to the "most promising" young skater seen by JSF officials.

cinnamon

On the Ice
^ but they have already Mao, Akiko and Kanako, can't go beyond them.

(the side issue is, Miki's mother has listed as one of conditions for Miki to marry Nanri, going to Sochi...)

minze

Medalist

(the side issue is, Miki's mother has listed as one of conditions for Miki to marry Nanri, going to Sochi...)

how scandalous if Mao was left of the team

minze

Medalist

People say a lot things about Miki's mom that I hope are not true. Otherwise, she is a nightmare

cinnamon

On the Ice
[/B]

People say a lot things about Miki's mom that I hope are not true. Otherwise, she is a nightmare

She has a pride having raised her daughter to the world champion by herself. (Her husband passed away when Miki was very young.)

minze

Medalist
She has a pride having raised her daughter to the world champion by herself. (Her husband passed away when Miki was very young.)

Of course, good for her. But there is a point where you cannot control your children. I know that the Japanese have a lot of respect for their elders and I respect that. But Miki is old enough to make her own decisions. Like I said maybe some of those things they say about her mother are tabloid gossip.

cinnamon

On the Ice
I hope so too. In that video from Japanese TV when Miki revealed about her baby, she was saying everybody was against her decision (to have the baby), and she talked and talked "mainly to her mother" and decided. After all her mother was extremely supportive, coming to each competition to greet her fans, etc. they say.

shine

Record Breaker
It's just hard to take seriously a skater who is only about 4"8 skating against the big girls. It's fine to be that small as a Junior but being that tiny a skater as a Senior that small just lacks the power and bigger jumps of a older more mature skater.

Yeah, and many older ladies lack her kind of beautiful basic skating, well done programs, musicality and elegance...

NMURA

Medalist
Miyahara's skating skills are superior to most of her rivals. Maybe save Sotnikova.
I think she will fill Suzuki's position immediately after Japanese nationals.