Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Ladies LP - 2014 European Championships

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Her Bolero program needs a good technical content. Without this it is an overstyled empty program.

I know but Carolina is still injured I think
she mentioned in her interview about her thigh and back so no 3-3 here

volk

Final Flight
Wow, Julia's FS is pure gold! This performance is the best one I've seen by a lady. Not even Kwan could skated so well.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I don't disagree that Yuna still has a serious advantage over Julia, but really, Julia's current score should be third on the list. In 2009 the spiral sequence was still a required element in both programs. Even if Julia had preformed one VERY VERY BADLY (which would not have happened, she'd be getting huge spiral scores) she'd beat the TEB score by at least a few points.

I do concede she'd still have the third highest score, though, and Yuna's scores would be the 2 highest.

Though Julia put out an admirable performance at Euro, it is not relevant to make a direct comparison based on her score to 2011 or even 2012. The current 200+ does not have the same weight of those set prior to 2011-2012.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
One Judge gave Julia a 7.25 for Interpretation and Adelina a 9.25. :scratch: Really??

Haha, the judge, he or she, seems strongly opinionated, I wager. But the only explanation might be that the very judge must have been annoyed at Julia's pseudo-maturity, which to her fans could be called as "sublime".

mateusp1

On the Ice
The highest score possible and ever achieved for a step sequence:

10 StSq4 3.90 2.10 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 6.00

A record.

Yes, Carolina managed to get it. She is the best in the steps.

+3 from all judges.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Lipnitskaia just got the highest season score and the second highest score in skating history.

She's definitely a gold medal contender now.
Please, fourth at best, Yuna already has 3 times scored over 210 internationally :laugh:

Agree with the gold contender though

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, the judge, he or she, seems strongly opinionated, I wager. But the only explanation might be that the very judge must have been annoyed at Julia's pseudo-maturity, which to her fans could be called as "sublime".

I agree. I just don't see how anyone can see a 2pt swing between the two. 2pts is a pretty big gap right?

I thought they were very close and both should have received great marks!

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I agree. I just don't see how anyone can see a 2pt swing between the two. 2pts is a pretty big gap right?

Well, we 'll have to respect that. That also is judges' prerogative. you may not agree or like it, but judges need to retain their own figure principle and philosophy even if it's against mainstream or popular idea as long as it is not maliciously biased or distorted by something other than the sport itself. by the way , the current judging practice does not promote such , however.

Ven

Match Penalty
I was never a big fan of Kostner, so meh.

Adelina is a sprite, that's for sure. She really does take off on her jumps, just seems to keep going up and up. I love her energy level throughout the program, but it seems to be untamed. It's just kind of wild or constant energy, that isn't focused into grabbing the audience. 2-dimensional performance rather than 3-dimensional, but I do think she's the best of the Russians and Europeans in general.

Julia is an amazing young skater, but I did find numerous faults with her program. First, she has extra long pauses in between jump combos, so I imagine those must count as sequence instead? Her landings are wonky too. Her spins are amazing, have to give her credit there, especially the final spin in her FS. Also, when she started her LP, I thought "wow, this girl really has a sense of presence for the moment and understands delivery" but as she got into the technical content she lost the magic and was just kind of doing tricks out there and flailing her arms around. So in that regard she started out really good and then got worse as the program went along.

But, I also think she should not receive as high PCS as the women. She looks too young out there, it's kind of jarring to watch aesthetically pleasing ladies skaters dance all over the ice and then there's this girl who looks like she's 10 years old. It's not her fault, but I think the PCS should take this into consideration.

prettykeys

Medalist
Wow, Julia's FS is pure gold! This performance is the best one I've seen by a lady. Not even Kwan could skated so well.
I was making this comparison in my mind, as well. Julia Lipnitskaia is amazing, perhaps the best 15-year old skater I have ever seen. The ONLY quibble I have with the protocols sheet is that her Skating Skills were marked a tad high--she does not have the effortless power and smooth, deep edges you would expect from a skater with 8.50+ SS scores. Having said that, there is nothing else I can find to nitpick at the scoring.

I love how she whips off her jumps straight from her transitions, and she is also a great spinner, too. Additionally, she disproves the theory (held in certain skating circles/by certain skating fans) that hyperflexibility might be a detriment to consistent jumping; Julia shows that one can have both.

Congrats to the new Euro Champ :) And next time...please go back to the French braid! I think that's the best hairstyle for her, yet. Tidy and classy.

Ven

Match Penalty
Does she really deserve such high GOE for her jumps? They aren't that big and a lot of those landings were shaky.

prettykeys

Medalist
But, I also think she should not receive as high PCS as the women. She looks too young out there, it's kind of jarring to watch aesthetically pleasing ladies skaters dance all over the ice and then there's this girl who looks like she's 10 years old. It's not her fault, but I think the PCS should take this into consideration.
So, which Program Component would you score lower, and by around how much?

I think she is plenty expressive, especially with her arms, at least in this program.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
I was never a big fan of Kostner, so meh.

Adelina is a sprite, that's for sure. She really does take off on her jumps, just seems to keep going up and up. I love her energy level throughout the program, but it seems to be untamed. It's just kind of wild or constant energy, that isn't focused into grabbing the audience. 2-dimensional performance rather than 3-dimensional, but I do think she's the best of the Russians and Europeans in general.

Julia is an amazing young skater, but I did find numerous faults with her program. First, she has extra long pauses in between jump combos, so I imagine those must count as sequence instead? Her landings are wonky too. Her spins are amazing, have to give her credit there, especially the final spin in her FS. Also, when she started her LP, I thought "wow, this girl really has a sense of presence for the moment and understands delivery" but as she got into the technical content she lost the magic and was just kind of doing tricks out there and flailing her arms around. So in that regard she started out really good and then got worse as the program went along.

That's a fair observation. I don't know about Julia's PCS. I thought that looks fair enough - I will have to rewatch it later - considering that her expressiveness seems incredible despite her age. Of course her body line does not correspond with what she intends to transcend. The thing is this shows what can happen if the ISU runs the system in TES orientation. But anyway, that's the current judging trend. Is it Julia with this impressive record a lock for the podium, or isn't it? Yes and no.

Since some of you express the chance of Julia or adelina beating Kim or Asada in Soch, I will add my two cents. Though I remain unconvinced of her skating, under the current judging trend, she manages well and efficiently. You see, the larger picture here is that the current COP prefers lopsidedly TES to PCS, and history speaks the volume of it. As long as you land triples, you are ahead of others regardless of the assumed quality, or unlettered ingredients that dictates execution or its integration to other elements. Jump appears one and only component in figure that commands the entirety of the sport, today; 2014 Euro seems a showcase. Before Kostner do anything or Julia the game was over; their base point in tech difference was nearly 15 points. thus as long as ratified, Julia starts with a commanding lead. We don't have to blame the ISU for that. Kostner should have known how much she was behind before the start of the game, right? especially there isn't much discretion about jump, as you described above, except GOE guideline. Sochi will be a very interesting example not for figure skating but for Platonic mimesis lecture. Notwithstanding we cannot uder-estimate Asada or Kim. Well, I am not in position to speak for Asada or Kim, but Asada, if she knows how to read the protocol, she can easily put down Julia. As a skater known for her affinity to jump, Asada's strategy should focus on as many triple as she would like to unleash. It is doable. Of course her triple axel is bothersome, but she could leave it behind, just in case, instead tries triple triple. As long as Asada manages up on her feet, she could brush off Julia; as long as ratified, she will heap points. that's for Asada. Kim? I do not know. She, being a perfectionist, is less likely to take such an radical - or "undignified" for her to take? - measure but a point to think about if she means to get another gold. That would be very easy for her to do that, being a precision jumper. As you see, this might be the nature of competition, but well, can't be a very ideal picture, can it?

Ven

Match Penalty
I think she is plenty expressive, especially with her arms, at least in this program.

Actually, I was surprised when the program started. I did not expect for a girl her age to have presence and a sense of the moment, but she really did at the beginning of the skate. It wasn't just some cheesy pose and boom off to skating skills. I was pleasantly surprised by her artistry at the beginning.

However, once she got into the technical content I think she lost that presentation ability. Even her arms just flail away all over the place to me. So...my guess is that right now she's capable of concentrating on performance or technical content, but not both at the same time. There's an overall immaturity about her in my opinion, which is not a slight on her at all. For 15, I would select her as the best for her age over anyone in the world. But compared to the other ladies, she looks too young. She acts like a little girl (which is age appropriate for her, but doesn't compare favorably to the more mature skaters). There's something ambiguous about her skating and program, which I guess makes sense for her age. She's extraordinarily talented but her talent is not quite polished. She can seem monotonous without seeming monotonous. Her skills are all there but not quite there. She comes off -- to me anyways -- as a talented 15 year old girl, a potential #1 skater for tomorrow or next year, but not quite there at the present time.

The politics of the sport are such that the Russians will be in position to medal if they go clean, but I prefer Adelina at the present time, though Julia has higher potential in the long run if growth doesn't ruin her career.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Does she really deserve such high GOE for her jumps? They aren't that big and a lot of those landings were shaky.
Yes and no, again. when Julia competes with seniors, no, but she compete with junior, emphatically yes!

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Actually, I was surprised when the program started. I did not expect for a girl her age to have presence and a sense of the moment, but she really did at the beginning of the skate. It wasn't just some cheesy pose and boom off to skating skills. I was pleasantly surprised by her artistry at the beginning.

However, once she got into the technical content I think she lost that presentation ability. Even her arms just flail away all over the place to me. So...my guess is that right now she's capable of concentrating on performance or technical content, but not both at the same time. There's an overall immaturity about her in my opinion, which is not a slight on her at all. For 15, I would select her as the best for her age over anyone in the world. But compared to the other ladies, she looks too young. She acts like a little girl (which is age appropriate for her, but doesn't compare favorably to the more mature skaters). There's something ambiguous about her skating and program, which I guess makes sense for her age. She's extraordinarily talented but her talent is not quite polished. She can seem monotonous without seeming monotonous. Her skills are all there but not quite there. She comes off -- to me anyways -- as a talented 15 year old girl, a potential #1 skater for tomorrow or next year, but not quite there at the present time.

The politics of the sport are such that the Russians will be in position to medal if they go clean, but I prefer Adelina at the present time, though Julia has higher potential in the long run if growth doesn't ruin her career.

Again you did a fair observation. But Let's not jump into conclusion about politics. It's the ISU's TES idolatry aggravated with Kim's half-retirement, I assume. Of course, most importantly, their idiocy. on the other hand, think in their position. when you see a skater whose age qualifies senior circuit manages triples like no other although their qualities are much to be desired or still too juniorish, wouldn't you promote her, rather than oldies who try to play safe, just to promote triple in ladies competition? Again I do not approve their current judging practice, nevertheless.

Layfan

Record Breaker
So, which Program Component would you score lower, and by around how much?

I agree. She is a baby-faced still but she skates with plenty of maturity. Her program choreography is full of intricate and memorable moments and she fills out every one of them. Compare her to 15-year-old Polina Edmunds, who is wonderful but still needs to smooth out the edges.

And I loved how Julia stayed completely in character until the very last second and not one nano-second longer, instantly breaking into an astonished smile :)

I'm off to watch Adelina and Caro now.

Congrats to the top three! And to Alena and Mae.

That's funny - I just posted the complete opposite! I'll have to watch the program again to see if I see what you mean because my initial impression was that she did a good job of sticking with the performance throughout. (Everyone breaks a little out of the performance before the jumps. I mean, you have to land those.) It's true about her skating skills not being amazing when I really watch for it but I'd say Julia's time is definitely now. She just became the European Champion. she's in with the big girls. I hope she lasts and gets even better but she has long since officially arrived at the grown up's table.

Icey

Record Breaker
Yes I'm thinking same. I love Bolero but this time Kostner smiled too much and shaking her hips a lot. I don't know. This program should be more elegant I think.

The hips-----I couldn't keep from bursting out laughing. That did make it inelegant. She seemed to be mocking the music. BORElero imo.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Even if I am amazed with Julia and i like her a lot, her consistency and cold mind to go out there and do 7 triples, I was more shocked with her components or Adelina's 68 and 69+ its RIDICULOUS!!, may we expect if cleans 70+ at sochi?