Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Abbott being ripped and torn to pieces by U.S. Media

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm really wondering how all the heat directed at him will affect him going into the individual competitions. I have a bad feeling that it won't help his mindset one bit, instead providing greater distractions, but here's hoping he'll put up a good showing and prove us all wrong.

:agree:

millie

Medalist
I hate the way people seem to relish tearing someone apart. It is a really gross aspect of human nature. Apparently, there is something wrong with me because I don't find it enjoyable. I think I may have liked seeing athletes and performers I didn't like do badly as a teenager, but somewhere along the way I grew up and developed sympathy for them instead. I often find myself feeling bad even for athletes I can't stand when they have a very bad event--a response that the existence of gleeful hate brigades on the web intensifies.

As for Jeremy, the personal attacks here are what I find most upsetting. Last year at Nationals, Jeremy chatted with my mother and I for a few minutes during the men's "victory lap"--long enough that he had to catch up with the other medalists. He was friendly and gracious just moments after receiving a disappointing bronze medal. My mom was having the only longer than three hour break from caring for my seriously ill father that she has had for the weekend at Nationals. That chat with Jeremy made her entire weekend. And he didn't have to take that time.

You are right on......the thing about it is that the media and whom ever, do not like Jeremy. They want someone like Gracie Gold, that's photogenic and that sell. I think that if Gold was in this position, they would be all sympathetic and making excuses for her. Even before Jeremy skates, they got him labeled as a failure. Hard sport if you haven't got the media and the commentators behind you. I hope he surprises everyone. Good luck buddy.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Yes. I mean, I love Jeremy, but it's a bit ridiculous getting an Olympic medal for that.

Not sure how Jeremy will be affected. I think Ashley's been in a far worse situation as far as media are concerned - and she seems okay :) . This might soon be forgotten (by the time the individual event rolls around).

Really ?

I think i underestimate how bad that really was...
Well, At least Mirai can be a Martyr now ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You are right on......the thing about it is that the media and whom ever, do not like Jeremy. They want someone like Gracie Gold, that's photogenic and that sell. I think that if Gold was in this position, they would be all sympathetic and making excuses for her. Even before Jeremy skates, they got him labeled as a failure. Hard sport if you haven't got the media and the commentators behind you. I hope he surprises everyone. Good luck buddy.

I think to say that people just do not like Jeremy is too simplistic. I have absolutely nothing personal against the man, whom I have never met.

Things about his public persona that I do not like:

Lack of a backbone. Over the top dramatics before and after his performances. The no-big-deal interview after his Team SP skate in Sochi.

Most of all, I dislike the fact that he makes me feel like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football that Lucy is holding. "It'll be different this time!" And of course, Lucy... eh Jeremy... rips the football away at the last minute.

I said on another thread that I wasn't surprised by his performance. My disappointment was tempered by my absolute expectation that he would blow it.

Tesla

Final Flight
I think perhaps the worst part of it all is that Abbott could end up with an Olympic medal for that performance.

Yes. I mean, I love Jeremy, but it's a bit ridiculous getting an Olympic medal for that.

Not sure how Jeremy will be affected. I think Ashley's been in a far worse situation as far as media are concerned - and she seems okay :) . This might soon be forgotten (by the time the individual event rolls around).

No more ridiculous than the Reeds and Takahasi and Kihara getting medals or Parkinson from Italy getting a medal. Personally, I think Abbott getting a medal is the least ridiculous.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I feel very bad for Jeremy- obviously he has overwhelming competition anxiety. He possibly has ADD. All that he's tried to control with psychological help.. the medications to treat are not allowed in competition. I do believe he has done everything he can to try to control the anxiety- but sometimes it just can't be done. His nervous system was just not cut out for what he wants to do with it.

So it is an amazing accomplishment to get the the 4x Sr National Champ.

The media has never been in his corner.

The US just hasn't had any male skater to come along this Quad and be able to be atop the podium at Worlds. It's not Jeremy's fault no superstar has come along. Sometimes I think Jeremy is attacked not only for his deficits, but for the deficits of the US Men's program in general.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US just hasn't had any male skater to come along this Quad and be able to be atop the podium at Worlds. It's not Jeremy's fault no superstar has come along. Sometimes I think Jeremy is attacked not only for his deficits, but for the deficits of the US Men's program in general.

I completely agree with these statements. None of the US men are challenging the very top men in the world right now, yet Abbott is the only one who ever gets labeled "a headcase."

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No more ridiculous than the Reeds and Takahasi and Kihara getting medals or Parkinson from Italy getting a medal. Personally, I think Abbott getting a medal is the least ridiculous.

And all of those names you just mentioned actually fought for their programs, and didn't give up and just die.

Every single other member of Team USA fought for their programs - even when Castelli/Shnapir, or Ashley, or Jason made mistakes they just used them to get stronger and keep going. As soon as Abbott made a mistake he just gave up. That's the disgrace.

I completely agree with these statements. None of the US men are challenging the very top men in the world right now, yet Abbott is the only one who ever gets labeled "a headcase."

Okay, so none of them are challenging...yes. Are any of them melting down as routinely as Abbott? No. Abbott has got opportunity after opportunity and he's blown them all.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Abbott has got opportunity after opportunity and he's blown them all.

And why has he had opportunity?

Because 4 of the last 8 years he was best at Nationals. (and a good number of those year, best on the Grand Prix) (and he's been as high as 5th at Worlds-better than anyone else in US still competing)

So.......we don't have any men currently able to podium at Worlds. If we did, they would have beaten Jeremy and Jeremy wouldn't be going to Olys or Worlds. Jeremy hasn't gotten any favors (except maybe 2009) -and he's not the one to blame for losing the 3rd men's slot. That was Bradley, Miner, Dornbush.

No one ever rags on Bradley for never being near the top 10 at Worlds. (despite several attempts-I think 3, only one more than Abbott)

The US really needs to take a hard look at it's Men's singles skating program. Because right now we don't have a Man able to be on the Worlds podium. We just don't.

Jason may eventually get to the Worlds Podium if he can get a quad.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are any of them melting down as routinely as Abbott? No.

You obviously haven't been watching the skating of Bradley, Dornbush, Miner, Rippon, Carriere, and Mroz if you believe that to be true.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you know I haven't seen/read a single new thing on his bombing once the rest of the competition went on...

yet the media's still talking about Ashley's being on the team over Mirai - even now that she's shown she isn't just going to blow it.

So I think he will be fine.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
you know I haven't seen/read a single new thing on his bombing once the rest of the competition went on...

yet the media's still talking about Ashley's being on the team over Mirai - even now that she's shown she isn't just going to blow it.

So I think he will be fine.

And now twitiots have a meme about a look Ash made in the K&C.

Now that meme is only giving people fuel..... I've seen a lot of people accuse Ashley of being "entitled" because of her reaction to her SP score.

They're all saying "she should be grateful that she's at the Olympics" and saying this is karma for her taking Mirai's spot...and on and on and on...it makes me kind of angry actually and I'm not even a huge Ashley fan.

Clearly most people have never had a raw emotion. :sarcasm:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it doesn't help that NBC Nightly News went after her tonight over that picture.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now twitiots have a meme about a look Ash made in the K&C.

Now that meme is only giving people fuel..... I've seen a lot of people accuse Ashley of being "entitled" because of her reaction to her SP score.

They're all saying "she should be grateful that she's at the Olympics" and saying this is karma for her taking Mirai's spot...and on and on and on...it makes me kind of angry actually and I'm not even a huge Ashley fan.

Clearly most people have never had a raw emotion. :sarcasm:

it doesn't help that NBC Nightly News went after her tonight over that picture.

I saw the Nightly News mention, and I didn't interpret it as "going after" Wagner.

To me, it is/was more reminiscent of McKayla Maroney, who ultimately became very popular because of the photo of her on the podium. Along the lines of: here's an athlete with an authentic personality.
Even President Obama made the same face along with Maroney when they posed for a photo together at the White House.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I saw the Nightly News mention, and I didn't interpret it as "going after" Wagner.

To me, it is/was more reminiscent of McKayla Maroney, who ultimately became very popular because of the photo of her on the podium. Along the lines of: here's an athlete with an authentic personality.
Even President Obama made the same face along with Maroney when they posed for a photo together at the White House.

Oh I agree. I'm just talking about the comments I'm seeing on social media. Mashable published a story about it and a lot of comments were along those "she's so entitled" lines.

And since I'm Asian-American, I've had a lot of comments from my Asian American acquaintances on Facebook who have said things like "This is karma for taking Mirai's spot." "I hope she falls." "I hope she bites it." It prompted me to write not one, but two rants on Facebook, which I really don't do very often. But I just do not like the vitriol being thrown at her.

dardar1126

On the Ice

I agree...it's meant to be a fun meme, not a mean meme. :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh I agree. I'm just talking about the comments I'm seeing on social media. Mashable published a story about it and a lot of comments were along those "she's so entitled" lines.

And since I'm Asian-American, I've had a lot of comments from my Asian American acquaintances on Facebook who have said things like "This is karma for taking Mirai's spot." "I hope she falls." "I hope she bites it." It prompted me to write not one, but two rants on Facebook, which I really don't do very often. But I just do not like the vitriol being thrown at her.

You don't have to be Asian to see it. :no: I've had to try and explain that over and over... people still think it... chalk it up to Moronic Mondays taking over all 7 days of the week I suppose. :disapp:

golden411 - it's all in the presentation and tone. learned enough of the "tricks" in college since journalism was part of my major. hated every minute of it. very jaded towards "journalism" in general.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Thanks for sharing that story. I never got the jerk vibe from Jeremy Abbott; on the contrary, he seems like a very sweet guy. I'm new to this board and have been taken aback by the vitriol toward him, so I'm glad to read your post. :)

Thanks to you both. I loved the story too. From everything I hear from friends who are in skating (journalists and moms of skaters), Jeremy is known to be an exceptionally kind, thoughtful, sensitive person.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
You obviously haven't been watching the skating of Bradley, Dornbush, Miner, Rippon, Carriere, and Mroz if you believe that to be true.

Oh How Right You Are! In fact, Jeremy has at least managed to win 4 National Titles and several Grand Prix medals (including one this year), while the rest of them have bombed over and over again not only at Worlds or in Grand Prix Events, but also at Nationals. and I really like many of the skaters you list, especially Rippon and Dornbursh, but they haven't been as successful as Jeremy has at coming through when it counts.