2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate | Page 60 | Golden Skate

2014 Olympics Mens Free Skate

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Obviously you didnt watch the mens shorts. Everyone else was a mess. Judges pets though they are, Chan and Hanyu did deserve to be 10 plus points ahead of the rest. And even if they werent nobody else tonight was good enough to catch them.

:agree:
After the SP, Yuzuru and Chan had a lot of points ahead the other skaters. The battle for the gold medal was only between them. And the title went to the one who did less mistakes. I don't see the problem when it comes to the results.

BlackPack

Medalist
My two cents. This is the olympics, the biggest pressure cooker to an athlete, I for one could never even dream of doing what they do. I have 3 children, 2 of them are athletes the other prefers the arts. Anyway one is in hockey and one in gymnastics and I hope they are never judged the way some people are judging these young men. They have trained most of their young lives and sacraficed more than most of us can imagine and to get to the day they have been training for and it not go the way they had invisioned it is horrible.crushing. you know what they say those that can DO and those that cant BULLY. I hope the likes of all these skaters dont surf this site and see all the haters Instead I hope they can skate away and hold their heads high as they have done more than most of us can ever dream of.

Well-said. I wish I accomplished as much as these Olympians.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Again, some people find it funny, and that harms no one. I think contrary to what you're huffing about, it actually highlights how demanding the sport is.

I commented because some posters were saying how ugly a skater looked when he was jumping, and I admonished them for being rude. That is all. It reminds me of those "ugly" grimacing Mao videos that were put up, and it's malicious and beyond the pale. I do think Mao and her fans minded. There are also such comments on Akiko's videos, I can't tolerate them. The whole point of the sport is beauty, perfection, the insane efforts to achieve those goals while taking one's body to the hilt attain those goals. If the jump/element fails, that's fine to comment. Making fun of their looks while they are skating is simply malicious.

Actually, it is sad that skaters have to look conventionally beautiful, does it mean that those who do not fit these standards are even more disadvantaged?

You might shrug off such "jokes" but some of us might mind them and speak up. At least these posters know that others do not like such comments and prefer more respect for the skaters.:rolleye:

cjoanwilli

Spectator
From reading this board one would think the skaters are supposed to skate to please us (although everyone disagrees about what that would look like). How many Olympic medals do you all have, because I have succeeded in getting none, so I say good for all of them. After the short program Chan was to blame for there being such a gap between second and third, made for a boring race, now he's to blame for not getting the gold medal that all you Chan haters said he had no chance of getting (was going to be 5th according to one person, but actually deserving 7th). Just a few days ago it was how the gold was Plushenko'se, then actual reality happened so it became Chan's to lose. This is a sport not theatre, being your favorite doesn't make them a better skater any more then not liking someone takes anything away from their real skills. If you can't appreciate excellent skating and accept that what happens on the ice is what is scored, then start watching professional wrestling.

KKonas

Medalist
haha, thanks. I figured it was it was the coach's assistant or something., choreographer makes sense though.

True say, she looked very Czech so it's definitely somebody from his home country. And she was pretty, so I didn't mind seeing her on TV for 45 seconds. :p

That "lady" sitting in the kiss & cry looks like Nina Petrenko, Victor's wife, who is also a choreographer.

taikwan

On the Ice
Gutted. Not a fan of Chan but even I would have been happier if he had a clean skate. Ah Jason....he's the real deal. As a person, as an artist.

treeloving

Medalist
If only Javier change his last jump to 3Lz/ 3F or 3T. He has the most enjoyable performance today. But what if is what if.

Sad for him as well. I really think Zayak rule need to be polished a bit.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
As I have said... REPEATEDLY: Jeremy doesn't owe us anything, he owes himself. He has rarely ever taken advantage of opportunities. He always seems to wilt when the pressure comes, which is disappointing considering his talent.

If Jeremy, like other skaters, owes himself and maybe some real supporters who make sacrifices for him, who are the people outside of his life to be so demanding and demeaning? Skaters put in their lives, put their bodies through pain, and burden their families financially for years, training day in and day out in the cold instead of getting morning sleep, being mall rats or hanging with friends and often away from their families. No success is ever assured despite years of hared work. The talented ones continue longer, with much expectation which is pressure. They have to be tough and disciplined physically and mentally. They put on their best to entertain but people with none of their qualities and none of the abilities and none of the grueling experiences, criticize like they know how to do better. People who never bring any glory to their country condemn them for shaming the nation. They make the demands and derisions while sitting comfortably at home without putting out any effort, without contributing anything to the effort of these young hard working athletes. The ones giving everything they have to the sport and trying their best already feel they owe their supporters so much and feel terrible about any disappointing performance despite any public faces they put on. I can't have enough admiration for them and have no right whatsoever to feel that they owe me. Because they don't, not a bit.

Chan deserves all of the criticism, it comes with being a favorite for gold, and for winning with sub-par performances.

He deserves all of the criticism, fair or not, because he is made a favourite? Being a favourite is what people choose for a competitor, so for that a talented and devoted athlete deserves any mean thing thrown his way? Winning with sub-par performances? Personal opinions to justify meanness.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Got to hand it to Adam Rippon for his sense of (dark) humor:

Adam Rippon
@Adaripp
2 falls wins Olympics and three pops at nationals wins you checking the twitter feed for results at coffee bean

Aw...Adam needs a hug.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
Fernandez has 4S-3T, 4S, 3F-1Lo-3S and a final 3S in his program. Tonight he did 4S-2T,3S,3F-1Lo-2S,3S.
He only landed 2 3S the other two was a double and a quad. I can't understand why he's last 3S was not counted.

socksthecat

Rinkside
Ok, so I don't post much, mostly just lurk, but...

The new OGM fell on his tookus and was wearing one of Jimmy MacElroy's costumes. It is officially 2014, I guess. Even Kulik's horrid giraffe jacket was better, and so was his LP.

I do not like Hanyu's skating most of the time...he seems to me like a bundle of twigs or a sack of sticks tied up in a woman's scarf being flung around. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed his short, but the long was just...:think:

I don't find Chan's long particularly interesting, either, but I did hope he would win here over bundle-of-twigs Hanyu. Oh, well.

I am very happy for Denis Ten and hope that he continues to compete.

treeloving

Medalist
Fernandez has 4S-3T, 4S, 3F-1Lo-3S and a final 3S in his program. Tonight he did 4S-2T,3S,3F-1Lo-2S,3S.
He only landed 2 3S the other two was a double and a quad. I can't understand why he's last 3S was not counted.

Because it is counted as the fourth combo as he already did three combo and a solo sal; therefore, when he repeat the sal it is counted as a fourth combo automatically.

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I get it Javi repeated the 3S. The other should have been in a combination. Oh Javi you should have had a 2A for the final jump.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
From reading this board one would think the skaters are supposed to skate to please us (although everyone disagrees about what that would look like). How many Olympic medals do you all have, because I have succeeded in getting none, so I say good for all of them. After the short program Chan was to blame for there being such a gap between second and third, made for a boring race, now he's to blame for not getting the gold medal that all you Chan haters said he had no chance of getting (was going to be 5th according to one person, but actually deserving 7th). Just a few days ago it was how the gold was Plushenko'se, then actual reality happened so it became Chan's to lose. This is a sport not theatre, being your favorite doesn't make them a better skater any more then not liking someone takes anything away from their real skills. If you can't appreciate excellent skating and accept that what happens on the ice is what is scored, then start watching professional wrestling.

They're supposed to please their fans and the judges.

They suck tonight. That's all.

I thought Fernandez's PCS should have been atleast as high as Takahashi's tonight and if they were he would have gotten the 2 extra point to win the bronze.

Takahashi has better basic skating, better posture, better lines, better carriage and he skated to the music very well. His program flowed well throughout with no noticeable slowing down.

Fernandez didn't deserve PCS close to Takahashi's, TR aside.

It's Ten's TR, CH and IN scores that were relatively too high for his program.

And remember that Fernandez would have had the bronze had he not done another 3salchow at the end. :bang:

I still think D10 did a lot ... possibly the second best performance of the evening. He's one of those skaters who make difficult elements look easy, so a Lori Nichols program would look effortless despite being difficult in nature. He deserved his bronze.

There was not that much upper body movement, not much connecting footwork and a lot of cross-overs. It wasn't 'difficult in nature.' The choreography lacked character and there didn't seem to be any concept (in what was actually executed and not in theory). His movement was just generic. Good job on the elements but what was in between was nowhere near as good as most skaters' in the top 10.

mirai4life

1Lo <
Record Breaker
Got to hand it to Adam Rippon for his sense of (dark) humor:

Adam Rippon
@Adaripp
2 falls wins Olympics and three pops at nationals wins you checking the twitter feed for results at coffee bean

Aw...Adam needs a hug.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

zschultz1986

Final Flight
If Jeremy, like other skaters, owes himself and maybe some real supporters who make sacrifices for him, who are the people outside of his life to be so demanding and demeaning? Skaters put in their lives, put their bodies through pain, and burden their families financially for years, training day in and day out in the cold instead of getting morning sleep, being mall rats or hanging with friends and often away from their families. No success is ever assured despite years of hared work. The talented ones continue longer, with much expectation which is pressure. They have to be tough and disciplined physically and mentally. They put on their best to entertain but people with none of their qualities and none of the abilities and none of the grueling experiences, criticize like they know how to do better. People who never bring any glory to their country condemn them for shaming the nation. They make the demands and derisions while sitting comfortably at home without putting out any effort, without contributing anything to the effort of these young hard working athletes. The ones giving everything they have to the sport and trying their best already feel they owe their supporters so much and feel terrible about any disappointing performance despite any public faces they put on. I can't have enough admiration for them and have no right whatsoever to feel that they owe me. Because they don't, not a bit.

He deserves all of the criticism, fair or not, because he is made a favourite? Being a favourite is what people choose for a competitor, so for that a talented and devoted athlete deserves any mean thing thrown his way? Winning with sub-par performances? Personal opinions to justify meanness.

Sorry but I can BOTH admire Jeremy and be disappointed in his results. I was a rather high level collegiate diver, so I know dedication, it isn't that I don't appreciate that. Please don't try and generalize, or get on your moral high horse, it's unbecoming of EVERYONE.

Chan does not deserve unfair criticism. However, he HAS problems, specifically in the triple axel, and just in general performing under pressure, that finally caught up with him here. He doesn't owe us anything, but then again, he has no one to blame but himself. He has been repeatedly arrogant about his previous wins in statements that he has made, so I have no problem criticizing him for some of his decisions of the past quad. He is a supremely beautiful skater with a supremely inconsistent triple axel, and who has a history of buckling under pressure. So this was nothing new.