People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova | Page 12 | Golden Skate

People should say something about the cyberbullying against Sotnikova

treeloving

Medalist
^^This. Regardless of what you think of the results, this behavior is unacceptable. No sane person would say that the things being said to Adelina (via social media) are okay.

I wish Yuna's fans would take a hint from their heroine. Yuna has shown nothing but grace and class throughout this situation. If I was Yuna, I would be ashamed to have those people as my fans.

People telling Adelina they hate her/she should kill herself/death threats is not a healthy reaction. This is not normal case of haters. It's okay to disagree with the results, or dislike a particular skaters style/personality; however it is not okay to threaten the skaters life/tell them to commit suicide/acting upon pure evil hatred. Seriously, these people have got to be mentally ill.

This whole situation is quite disturbing. To make it even more disturbing is the fact that Adelina is still a child!! I don't know if Adelina actually reads anything on her Instagram, but from what we know she is handling this with grace and maturity beyond her 17 years.

How would you feel if Adelina was your daughter/granddaughter/sister/niece? I believe your attitude would change really fast.

:clap::clap::clap:

And Adelina is not their first victim, some other skaters have received the same treatment for years.

And anyone who brought Mao fan here, I have never seen Mao fan threaten to kill Yuna or tell her via her private social network to kill her self.

ngfriend

Spectator
Adelina who? Other than in Russia Adelina is not famous other than stealing gold from Yuna. Never heard of her before Sochi.

LRK

Record Breaker
Adelina who? Other than in Russia Adelina is not famous other than stealing gold from Yuna. Never heard of her before Sochi.

Sigh.... If I were you, I would not be so quick to advertise my complete ignorance. But your mileage obviously not only may, but does, vary.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Sigh.... If I were you, I would not be so quick to advertise my complete ignorance. But your mileage obviously not only may, but does, vary.

Great reply, LRK. Not knowing is one thing. Not knowing what one does not know is another.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Well I think we all have our answer right there. You are clearly not a fan of the sport b/c if you were there's no way you wouldn't know who Adelina Sotnikova is seeing as how she's been a senior level competitor for over three years now.

You are perfectly entitled to your opinions but, just so you know, your level of ignorance significantly lessens your opinion's value in any matter regarding the sport as far as I'm concerned. :disapp:

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Adelina is as much a victim as Yu-Na as the most unqualified group of judges.

Yes, being gifted an Olympic Gold medal you never came close to deserving = being a victim. I just cant. :laugh: What will be next, the next winner of Lotto Max is a poor "victim".

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Yes, being gifted an Olympic Gold medal you never came close to deserving = being a victim. I just cant. :laugh: What will be next, the next winner of Lotto Max is a poor "victim".

I've only been on these boards a few months but have to say you seem like a really horrible, nasty & jealous person who can't get over the fact a skater they do not like won the Olympic Gold medal.
One comfort I take from people like you is that Adelina will always be a champion & you will always be horrible.
Not just you, many of you can't seem to deal with Adelina winning. So the nasty comments & trying to ruin her victory will go on & on.
But I hate to break this to you, crying & bitching about this will never change the result.
Move on.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
........blah blah blah.......

Well looking at your posting history your last 15 posts were all berating people who didnt kiss the butt of your beloved Sotnikova so it seems you are more emotional than all of us put together times 100. :laugh: I am not upset in the least Sotnikova won; I bet 2000 on her winning after the judges draw for the LP when it was obvious her win was fixed from the outset, and I will have way more to spend on my trip to the U.S coming up and have booked another 2 trips to the South later this year I didnt even have planned so I couldnt be happier with the insanely ridiculous (yet predictable) result. You on the other hand...:laugh:

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Well looking at your posting history your last 15 posts were all berating people who didnt kiss the butt of your beloved Sotnikova so it seems you are more emotional than all of us put together times 100. :laugh: I am not upset in the least Sotnikova won, I bet 2000 on her winning after the judges draw for the LP when it was obvious her win was fixed, and I will have way more spend on my trip to the U.S coming up and have booked another 2 trips to the South later this year I didnt even have planned so I couldnt be happier with the insanely ridiculous (yet predictable) result. You on the other hand...:laugh:
If you have gone back & looked at my other posts you will see that my favourites are Mao, Ashley, Akiko & Carolina.
If I'm honest Adelina was not even in my top 10 but after seeing some of the most vile, disgusting comments on these boards I think any true skating fan would want to defend the girl.
If thinking the event was a fix makes you feel better then fine. Does not change anything though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Today, 12:54 PM
MidnightSkater
Custom Title
This message is hidden because MidnightSkater is on your ignore list.

Heaven. :laugh:

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

Assuming that this is an attempt at some sort of humor, please hit your re-set button. Now.

It's not the OGM that makes Adelina a victim, it's the cyberbullying. I certainly don't believe she deserved the gold, but the tsunami of online nastiness is inexcusable.

Also, IMO she was used by her government in the sense that she was one of their prime hopes for gold until Yulia rocketed onto the scene looking like an even brighter star. Thus, one day Adelina was everyone's darling and the next day she was replaced by a "newer model." She might have been left out in the cold indefinitely, but when Yulia messed up in the SP Adelina became the golden girl again. That kind of hot-cold treatment is another form of bullying. It always feels lousy but for a 17-year-old it must have hurt like h***.

I'll probably never be a huge Adelina fan but in this she has my heartfelt sympathy and support.

volk

Final Flight
http://www.change.org/petitions/korean-netizens-apologize-to-adelina-sotnikova

Petitioning Korean netizens

Apologize to Adelina Sotnikova

Our Russian girl won gold medal on Olympic Games in Figure Skating few days ago. Not only Russians, but experts from other countries agree that her program, her performance was really high level. She did a small mistake, but because of difficult jump, that was not a problem for earing scores. High speed, high level - Adelina was perfect. Maybe her performance was not so feminine like Kim Yuna's was. But Kim Yuna's performance was not so high level, she chose a simple program, speed also wasn't high.

It was absolutely clear who is fighting for a medal and who did not even try to show that she is interested in medals. Yuna won her medal 4 years ago. This is another reason why Kim didn't get the medal. If you are watching figure skating not only once in 4 years, you should know that. Once you get the medal, it would be hard to get it next time.

And dear Koreans, Kim Yuna is not the only one who has talent and who should be a winner. There are a lot of talented girls. We understand that all of you love Kim Yuna. But open your eyes. Her program was simple, that's why she got silver medal.

We know how you can insult your own idols and celebrity, but how you dare insult our girl and her family? She is not Korean, so do not even try to say smth about her. Shame on you, Korean netizens. Shame on you country, cuz you have no manners. Ask for forgiveness. You should seek to relive the hurt through the eyes of the person that you offended. You ought to make an effort to put Kim Yuna in the Adelina’s place and relive the offense. We hope you would finally come to your senses and realize how wrong you have been.

jkun

Final Flight

Our Russian girl won gold medal on Olympic Games in Figure Skating few days ago. Not only Russians, but experts from other countries agree that her program, her performance was really high level. She did a small mistake, but because of difficult jump, that was not a problem for earing scores. High speed, high level - Adelina was perfect. Maybe her performance was not so feminine like Kim Yuna's was. But Kim Yuna's performance was not so high level, she chose a simple program, speed also wasn't high.

It was absolutely clear who is fighting for a medal and who did not even try to show that she is interested in medals. Yuna won her medal 4 years ago. This is another reason why Kim didn't get the medal. If you are watching figure skating not only once in 4 years, you should know that. Once you get the medal, it would be hard to get it next time.

And dear Koreans, Kim Yuna is not the only one who has talent and who should be a winner. There are a lot of talented girls. We understand that all of you love Kim Yuna. But open your eyes. Her program was simple, that's why she got silver medal.

We know how you can insult your own idols and celebrity, but how you dare insult our girl and her family? She is not Korean, so do not even try to say smth about her. Shame on you, Korean netizens. Shame on you country, cuz you have no manners. Ask for forgiveness. You should seek to relive the hurt through the eyes of the person that you offended. You ought to make an effort to put Kim Yuna in the Adelina’s place and relive the offense. We hope you would finally come to your senses and realize how wrong you have been.

LOL. Wow. I mean I would have no problem with such a petition if there wasn't so much crap tied to it. "She did a small mistake, but because of difficult jump"? I didn't realize a double loop was the hardest jump. She chose a simple program? It's much more nuanced and thematically appropriate than Adelina's will ever be. Yuna's speed on the ice was faster, although her music may not have been. Yes, korean netizens should not be bullying Adelina, but attaching all this nonsense does not help your case. In fact, it's basically equivalent to the same blinded opinion that Korean netizens have.

Ace

Rinkside
It is horrible the abuse she is getting. I personally felt Yuna was better but it isn't Adelina's fault that the judges scored her that way. They shouldn't get so much hate either, it's getting way OTT and unpleasant :( I am sure Yuna wouldn't want this.

Manitou

Medalist

:agree:
You try to reason with internet thugs, but I doubt it will succeed. Thugs are already poisoned by hatred. Thugs will boo Adelina on her every performance, they will threaten her wherever she will show up, they will insult her, her family and her country and her country's citizens.
But I am with you that you should try.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Adelina will be fine. This story is already losing momentum and she has a long career ahead to win the hearts of her doubters. She is beloved in Russia and I think she has enough people around her who validate her win. As a public figure she will soon learn (if she hasn't already) you will never make everyone happy.