If you could cast a skating movie, whom would you cast? (from any era) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

If you could cast a skating movie, whom would you cast? (from any era)

BlackPack

Medalist
I prefer to watch authentic skating and hope for a skater who can act, or someone who can be directed skillfully enough to appear convincing. I am uncomfortable with movies that show the skating or dancing from the ankles down and the actor from the neck up. But that's just the way I'd do it. Everyone here gets to decide what his or her film would be like.

I like the idea of rival rinks! My original idea years ago was an innovative pro company trying to survive--I had this idea (really more like a hope) before Stars on Ice, so I was thrilled when that company got started. Now that pro skating is again starving in the U.S., maybe my idea is relevant again. I wouldn't make my movie kitschy at all, but maybe some of you would like to see a film like that.

Blackpack's idea of a lot of beautiful skaters with star quality that the camera would love is a good one, too. They wouldn't all have to be great actors, but the four or five lead roles should be played by convincing actors. Some of the main characters could be nonskaters such as coaches or whatnot; at one point I imagined Patrick Swayze (may he rest in peace) as a coach, or even Baryshnikov himself.

The one scene I ever really imagined was our protagonist, an Olympic skater (maybe the gold medalist), who did all the good CoP things and is now doing TV specials as America's skating sweetheart. She comes in one day to see a rehearsal of a group piece by this pro company, which is a knockout, magical number to something stirring (well, stirring to me) like the instrumental interlude from Rimsky-Korsakov's Sadko, or maybe Richard Rodgers' Slaughter on Tenth Avenue, and her realizing that this is how she wanted to skate from then on. It probably wouldn't sell, but on Planet Olympia, it would be hugely popular....

It sounds very dance-oriented. Maybe Carlos Saura can direct it, a sort of a ballet opera on ice.

Michelle Kwan in a skating movie called "Jagged Ice: One woman's rise to the presidency"

:eek:

Yuna Kim in a skating-oriented remake of "The Bodyguard" hahaha since she's so huge in Korea

"Black Swan" could've easily been transferred over into the skating realm.

Agreed. The Black Swan could easily be about figure skating.

french film called Blue Is the Warmest Color starring mao and yuna.. :laugh:

:eek::laugh:

usethis2

Medalist
A romantic thriller starring Tarasova as a femme fatale and a damsel in distress in one flesh.

trouble77

Rinkside
I'm sure at some point Yuna will be starring in a drama about a poor girl with a feisty personality who meets a rich douchebag with a horrible overbearing mother.

Yeah but in a gender bender, a mix of coffee prince and you are beautiful

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Nice topic idea. I would like to edit some of my favorite movies to answer the question. The first two things that came to my mind:
-a female version of Good Will Hunting ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02M3NRtkAA ), with Mao or Yuna (probably Mao) as the main character and Brian Orser as the psychologist; I would keep the essence of the movie, but edit it to describe an incredible talent, a prodigy, but someone too cold to express any feelings on ice until the discussions with Orser. And I would add the passion for a mature skater, an artist who does not pay attention to the young girl (depends on the character, Dai for Mao or Lambiel for Yuna)
-Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnSgSe2GzDc ) with Tessa and Scott. The same story, but they meet some months later after the 'procedure' and start skating together to the same song that made them famous, but of course they can't remember this.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How about this: a remake of Girls (TV show) with Tara Lipinski, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen and Adelina Sonitkova.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I like the idea of Carlos Saura directing Stephane Lambiel and Sasha Cohen in a flamenco-themed film (ala Poeta, Stephane's crowning achievement). Sasha could be a feisty Carmen-like creature, with a group of synchronized skaters as the corps.

Manitou

Medalist
I would love if the Russians made a very classical version of The Nutcracker On Ice with Lipnitskaya as Clara, Plushenko as Mouse King and Ilinykh as Sugar Plum Fairy. Not sure about the Prince and Drosselmeier, though..
Katsapalov as the Prince maybe....?

BlackPack

Medalist
Olympia, I really think you can really write something substantial. I'll produce it ;)

Eternal Sunshine is one of the greatest films about love.... oh... I love the creativity being discussed!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I would love if the Russians made a very classical version of The Nutcracker On Ice with Lipnitskaya as Clara, Plushenko as Mouse King and Ilinykh as Sugar Plum Fairy. Not sure about the Prince and Drosselmeier, though..
Katsapalov as the Prince maybe....?

The prince is Plushenko of course http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHhXme967Y Evgeni Plushenko - Beautiful Russian Prince

and the japaneses always call him the blond Russian prince..

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
How about a science fiction action thriller. Aliens try to take over the earth by making it freeze over. Skaters are our only hope. Aided by some rogue hockey players and speed skaters, Michelle Kwan (Kween of Ice and Champion of Five Worlds) heads an elite band of warriors…

Did you mean: the Earth freezes to the core and stops rotating so that it can only be saved and got into movement again by a perfect spin exactly on the pole? :confused:

I always wanted to see Disney's Johnny Appleseed done on ice, with Kristi Yamaguchi as Johnny and Scott Hamilton as the Angel, and with Belbin and Agosto, Virtue and Moir, and Davis and White as pioneers (Yee-HAW!) :yes:

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
All right, here goes my alien/sci-fi version:
Aliens take over the Earth, they're omnipotent and freeze everything EXCEPT: they lose their abilities and drop down dizzy every time they see a quad jump/throw! The rest is up to your imagination...
Aww, yes - and ladies! Aliens hire a rougue ice hockey team to fight off the skaters.
However, they seem to be exceptionally vulnerable to ladies doing spirals... oh, well. Not beautiful way of affection! Forget it :slink:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I love your ideas. I just let my imagination run wild. Star wars with Yuna as Leia, Patrick as Luke and Denis as Han Solo.:laugh:

Manitou

Medalist
Alexei Urmanov?

Maybe for Drosselmeier, yes. As for the Prince - going after a 15 years old at the age of 40 would be kind of creepy..... lol
Actually they used to do that in the old Russia, as a matter of fact....

aschiutza

On the Ice
From the whole renowed skaters i saw in films and TV series, Kulik was the best, even when he was typecasted. His role was little (or choped of in editing), but it didn't screamed to me "look a figure skater OGM in a cameo role".

I am curious how would do Plushenko in a movie, as he likes to act and his exhibitions show that.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
IIRC, they once did "Carmen on Ice" as a TV special very successfully, so what about re-doing some of the old classic musicals "on ice"? "Singin' in the Rain", for example, with, perhaps, Evan Lysacek (he did it as a competitive program in 2005); Gracie; and Ryan Bradley (in the Donald O'Conner part; he would be brilliant with "Make 'em Laugh")

Forgot about "Carmen on Ice," which was really quite beautiful; thanks for the reminder! :)

Re: "Singin' in the Rain," Kurt Browning already has at least part of that one in the bag. If you've never seen it, it's one of his very best programs. There are links in another thread (maybe the one about Exhibitions?), but it should come right up if you search it on YouTube.