Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

Jump

Rinkside
Sorry but I have to say this: I am not a fan of Sonitkova or even Kim. I do think there is something wrong with the judging in Sochi.

BUT I think some of you guys, who are nitpicking a 17-year-old girl's actions, are too much. Seriously, she is just 17, she is still underage. I bet she believe whatever her coach, Tarasova, Fed...tell her. It's not that she is too naive, it's just she is at that age.

Man, I don't expect a 17-year-old kid to speak diplomatically and fluently in an interview. When I was 17, I was arrogant and indifferent as hell. And i am no celebrity, no genius teenager who has just won OMG. Spare her, please. I bet she didn't compete at Worlds was the action of Russian Fed, she had no decision over the matter.

Not everyone is a class act. Maturity can come with age but there are plenty of immature older people. This board is proof.

jatale

On the Ice
IMO, you guys are awfully lenient on Adelina. Yes, she is a kid and immature, but she is showing not respect for her sport. At a minimum, she shouldn't say she is the best, but be humble and say she was lucky to win over such an experienced field. Instead she was arrogant, basically showing disrespect to her elders and more accomplished competitors. At the very least she should pay her elders respect, and be modest about her "win". (I say "win" because I think it was politically rigged and not legit, but that is beside the point here.) The very fact that she feels she needs to "defend" her win, shows how insecure she really is about it. As I've said before, this "win" is really a curse for Adelina, she would have been much better off if she had appropriately won the OSM.

bara1968

On the Ice
IMO, you guys are awfully lenient on Adelina. Yes, she is a kid and immature, but she is showing not respect for her sport. At a minimum, she shouldn't say she is the best, but be humble and say she was lucky to win over such an experienced field. Instead she was arrogant, basically showing disrespect to her elders and more accomplished competitors. At the very least she should pay her elders respect, and be modest about her "win". (I say "win" because I think it was politically rigged and not legit, but that is beside the point here.) The very fact that she feels she needs to "defend" her win, shows how insecure she really is about it. As I've said before, this "win" is really a curse for Adelina, she would have been much better off if she had appropriately won the OSM.

ITA.

That was certainly NOT the best way to answer the question.

Jewels

On the Ice
Sorry but I have to say this: I am not a fan of Sonitkova or even Kim. I do think there is something wrong with the judging in Sochi.

BUT I think some of you guys, who are nitpicking a 17-year-old girl's actions, are too much. Seriously, she is just 17, she is still underage. I bet she believe whatever her coach, Tarasova, Fed...tell her. It's not that she is too naive, it's just she is at that age.

Man, I don't expect a 17-year-old kid to speak diplomatically and fluently in an interview. When I was 17, I was arrogant and indifferent as hell. And i am no celebrity, no genius teenager who has just won OMG. Spare her, please. I bet she didn't compete at Worlds was the action of Russian Fed, she had no decision over the matter.

Yeah, I know she can't be perfect and that she's not mature yet. I'm not saying she has problems with her peronality either, but her interviews like that won't help the situation. Someone should tell her not to keep mentioning Yuna Kim, maybe she's frustrated with the doubts of her win, but it's only making matters worse IMO.

Nadya

On the Ice
??

There are no elders in competition.

jatale

On the Ice
??

There are no elders in competition.

In this usage, "elder" means "of greater age", so yes for Adelina both Yuna and Carolina, to name just a few, are her "elders". Moreover, these "elder" skaters are also of greater experience, wisdom, and achievement than young Adelina, she should respect that also.

walnut cat

Spectator

I understand where you're coming from, and yes, it would've been better if she had been more humble throughout the whole ordeal, but see it from Adelina's point of view. She didn't compete in the team event, meaning this was her only shot for a medal, and from what I understand was upset at not being chosen to compete in the team event. Relatively few people considered her a medal contender and Yulia became the Russian fave for OGM.

And then when she goes to skate her SP, she skates cleanly, powerfully with the uber pro-Russian crowd practically screaming their lungs out in appreciation. She's an OGM contender. The next day she goes and gives it her all in the FS, and has the skate of her life. The crowd goes wild every time she lands a jump. She performs very well, and after the suspense of waiting for Kim's score, BAM. She's Russia's first ladies' OGM. Yes, it was dubious scoring, but she's a 17 year old who just gave her all, had the skate of her life with a crowd screaming their approval, and just made history for her country, and won OGM after being overshadowed by JuLip and not being able to compete at the team event. Her reaction is very understandable. Not necessarily excusable, but understandable, and to me, sympathetic.

Some of her quotes from later interviews are painful though... I sat there thinking "Adelina, why?!" :bang:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think Adelina is simply getting defensive. Which is fair enough when you consider the non-stop abuse, death threats, petitions trying to strip her of her medal.

And remember Yuna has not been totally blameless...she did say she was confused by the scores. That has got to sting. Adelina could well consider that insulting or hurtful and it would be fair enough.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
I think Adelina is simply getting defensive. Which is fair enough when you consider the non-stop abuse, death threats, petitions trying to strip her of her medal.

And remember Yuna has not been totally blameless...she did say she was confused by the scores. That has got to sting. Adelina could well consider that insulting or hurtful and it would be fair enough.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Yes, it was definitely wise for Adelina to skip worlds. Even if she had skated relatively cleanly, she wouldn't have won. The judges in Saitama understood that the judging in Sochi was absurd and must have been aware that everyone else and their mother was aware of that... in order to restore some measure of dignity to the whole process, they obviously felt compelled to try and judge correctly with some measure of dignity and respect. Thus, Mao triumphed. Adelina would have probably, at best, gotten a bronze.

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Yes, it was definitely wise for Adelina to skip worlds. Even if she had skated relatively cleanly, she wouldn't have won. The judges in Saitama understood that the judging in Sochi was absurd and must have been aware that everyone else and their mother was aware of that... in order to restore some measure of dignity to the whole process, they obviously felt compelled to try and judge correctly with some measure of dignity and respect. Thus, Mao triumphed. Adelina would have probably, at best, gotten a bronze.

I agree. Although, if she had gone totally clean she could have beaten yulia and gotten the silver.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
I agree. Although, if she had gone totally clean she could have beaten yulia and gotten the silver.

Possibly...although even that is questionable. I really do feel as though the judges going forward will not be particularly generous with Sotnikova. Sadly, I think the corrupt judging in Sochi will always be attached to her on some level and the judges, in order to get the stench of those fixed results out of the collective consciousness, will prob try to do what they can to make sure she's never propped up the way she was in Sochi.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

Agreed, definitely not gold

qwertyskates

Medalist
In this usage, "elder" means "of greater age", so yes for Adelina both Yuna and Carolina, to name just a few, are her "elders". Moreover, these "elder" skaters are also of greater experience, wisdom, and achievement than young Adelina, she should respect that also.

I think you are applying a very Korean cultural attitude to Adelina. She is not Korean, she doesn't have to answer to a Korean home crowd, she is not obliged to kowtow to Yuna or her fans, especially to a crowd who immediately declared her win illegitimate. In fact, to her, Yuna is simply a competitor for the OGM, there are no "elders" and she has to do whatever she can to beat Yuna, that is all she is obliged to do for herself and her home crowd.

Adelina got along well with Caro, and Caro is gracious towards Adelina. This is the ideal relationship between competing skaters. If Caro and the Italian home crowd did the same to Adelina, questioning her win, sending a petition to allege fraud and demand an investigation, etc. then I'm sure there won't be this friendly rivalry.

Who knows why Adelina left during the press conference? Caro also left before Yuna was finished during the same conference but no one berated her for it.

Tbh, Yuna and her base should also show graciousness in defeat instead of a campaign to overturn the verdict, alleging a vast conspiracy, insults and death threats to Adelina. Some introspection in that regard is important - you are doing all of this to Adelina and then you get upset when she reciprocated with speaking out against the Korean threats on her social media sites? You dish out but you can't take it? Graciousness in thinking the better of people instead of the worst (eg. accepting that perhaps Adelina and Caro had good reasons o leave the conference instead of assuming the worst, that it was a deliberate insult to Yuna....what is the point to *prefer* to get all riled up? What does it achieve?) is also an important cultural attribute for most peoples and cultures of the world.

Think about it, had Mao and the entire Japanese fs fan base and the Japanese Fed done the same to Yuna after Vancouver, how would Yuna and the Koreans react?

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
Possibly...although even that is questionable. I really do feel as though the judges going forward will not be particularly generous with Sotnikova. Sadly, I think the corrupt judging in Sochi will always be attached to her on some level and the judges, in order to get the stench of those fixed results out of the collective consciousness, will prob try to do what they can to make sure she's never propped up the way she was in Sochi.

True. But with Yulia falling in the free, a clean Sot could have definitely beaten her.

cooper

Medalist
I think you are applying a very Korean cultural attitude to Adelina. She is not Korean, she doesn't have to answer to a Korean home crowd, she is not obliged to kowtow to Yuna or her fans, especially to a crowd who immediately declared her win illegitimate. In fact, to her, Yuna is simply a competitor for the OGM, there are no "elders" and she has to do whatever she can to beat Yuna, that is all she is obliged to do for herself and her home crowd.

Adelina got along well with Caro, and Caro is gracious towards Adelina. This is the ideal relationship between competing skaters. If Caro and the Italian home crowd did the same to Adelina, questioning her win, sending a petition to allege fraud and demand an investigation, etc. then I'm sure there won't be this friendly rivalry.

Who knows why Adelina left during the press conference? Caro also left before Yuna was finished during the same conference but no one berated her for it.

Tbh, Yuna and her base should also show graciousness in defeat instead of a campaign to overturn the verdict, alleging a vast conspiracy, insults and death threats to Adelina. Some introspection in that regard is important - you are doing all of this to Adelina and then you get upset when she reciprocated with speaking out against the Korean threats on her social media sites? You dish out but you can't take it? Graciousness in thinking the better of people instead of the worst (eg. accepting that perhaps Adelina and Caro had good reasons o leave the conference instead of assuming the worst, that it was a deliberate insult to Yuna....what is the point to *prefer* to get all riled up? What does it achieve?) is also an important cultural attribute for most peoples and cultures of the world.

Think about it, had Mao and the entire Japanese fs fan base and the Japanese Fed done the same to Yuna after Vancouver, how would Yuna and the Koreans react?

how is yuna's name even included here?? it's not like she's explaining to the korean media that she deserved to win the gold because her "competitor's program is weaker.." so you're just trying to twist something that didn't happened..so nice try.. :rolleye:

as for the bullying.. for crying out loud.. trolls in the internet are everywhere.. that's why yuna doesn't have her own instagram.. she only has twitter but never use it personally in relation to her skating anymore..

for some they have right to know questioning what happened in sochi.. after all when you have balkov who is a known cheater judging the biggest event in a close competition deserves at least a doubt.. :disapp:

evangeline

Record Breaker
^^^I don't understand this cavalier attitude certain fans have with regards to the cyberbullying against Adelina. Just because cyberbulling happens elsewhere online, it means it's OK for Adelina to have death threats and insults personally sent to her social media accounts?

Look at it this way--many people around the world get murdered. Does that make murdering people OK?

It's OK to question the results in Sochi and why the judging happened the way it did. But questioning what happened in Sochi does not necessarily entail personally sending death threats and insults to a teenager, or alleging some vast conspiracy with participants as wide-ranging as Yuri Balkov, the New York Times and Vladimir Putin.

Chamazing

Rinkside
:scratch: she should retire ade has nothing else to prove, the gold is basically had been bought to be in her hands.....

qwertyskates

Medalist
how is yuna's name even included here?? it's not like she's explaining to the korean media that she deserved to win the gold because her "competitor's program is weaker.." so you're just trying to twist something that didn't happened..so nice try.. :rolleye:

as for the bullying.. for crying out loud.. trolls in the internet are everywhere.. that's why yuna doesn't have her own instagram.. she only has twitter but never use it personally in relation to her skating anymore..

for some they have right to know questioning what happened in sochi.. after all when you have balkov who is a known cheater judging the biggest event in a close competition deserves at least a doubt.. :disapp:

My post was directed at those who EXPECT Adelina to just take whatever you are all dishing out to her - and berating her for being rude when she fights back, for giving interviews, protesting against the online harassment/death threats and defending her win. You can attack her but you expect her to keep quiet and not fight back? That is of course completely absurd and the greatest hypocrisy. The same absurdity and hypocrisy in declaring there's no conflict of interest when the KSU official was a judge during Vancouver 2010 but reversing position for Russia and Adelina.:rolleye:

Caro's medal was also affected by Adelina's win, but the Italian fans and Caro are being gracious. Until it is proven with evidence that fraud took place, the allegations, campaigns, online insults, threats and mass mobilization are hurting rather than helping. This civility in treating Adelina is also a form of social etiquette. Just saying....

AliceInWonderland

On the Ice
^^^I don't understand this cavalier attitude certain fans have with regards to the cyberbullying against Adelina. Just because cyberbulling happens elsewhere online, it means it's OK for Adelina to have death threats and insults personally sent to her social media accounts?

Look at it this way--many people around the world get murdered. Does that make murdering people OK?

It's OK to question the results in Sochi and why the judging happened the way it did. But questioning what happened in Sochi does not necessarily entail personally sending death threats and insults to a teenager, or alleging some vast conspiracy with participants as wide-ranging as Yuri Balkov, the New York Times and Vladimir Putin.

:agree: