Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 125 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Kalina

On the Ice
Usually, JSF tries to get their most popular/dominant skaters to compete at NHK Trophy - which means in recent times, Mao for the women and Daisuke for the men. The other federations who have a home GP try to do the same (Davis/White and Virtue/Moir with Skate America and Skate Canada, etc.).
As we know, Yuzuru and Daisuke that season were not supposed to meet each other during the GP series, as they were both in the top seeded group (1-2-3 at Worlds the previous year). Daisuke would have surely been the top choice between the two, based on results and popularity, but NHK that year was in Sendai, with Yuzuru being a symbol for the earthquake victims and home hero after winning bronze the previous season in Nice. So, JSF reached an agreement with the French fed, who was in their same situation, with a home GP (TEB) and two seeded skaters (Joubert and Amodio, both in the 4-5-6 seed group): in the end, Yuzuru and Daisuke skated at NHK, and Joubert and Amodio at TEB.

FTnoona

Final Flight
There is no doubt that Hanyu is going to get NHK the coming season. With his hectic off season, it might be better for Hanyu if he got the later GPs. I am curious to see if he will finally get to skate at Japan Open the coming season or go the senior B route again to start off his season.

Windy

Rinkside
Who else will be at NHK this next season? - I mean the Japanese man. Probably not Machida so Takahiko? Or Daisuke? :popcorn:

figureskateobasan

On the Ice
btw, talking about tissue box, I went to Sendai ice rink last week and found many kids who is on training there covered their tissue box with disney characters' cover! I saw many Minnie's and Stitch. I wonder if it's a Yuzuru-Hanyu-effect?:laugh:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
btw, talking about tissue box, I went to Sendai ice rink last week and found many kids who is on training there covered their tissue box with disney characters' cover! I saw many Minnie's and Stitch. I wonder if it's a Yuzuru-Hanyu-effect?:laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case :laugh:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Who else will be at NHK this next season? - I mean the Japanese man. Probably not Machida so Takahiko? Or Daisuke? :popcorn:

You're right about Machida since he's seeded #2, and I don't think there are any seeded countries that JSF can strike a deal with like in 2012? At least JSF won't have a problem putting Dai and Hanyu in the same competition since he isn't seeded. Will he be healthy enough to compete the grand prix though? Or, JSF can give Hino and Tanaka the host picks since both are aging out of juniors, and they don't have high enough PBs to guarantee them 1 GP right?

nimi

Medalist
You're right about Machida since he's seeded #2, and I don't think there are any seeded countries that JSF can strike a deal with like in 2012? At least JSF won't have a problem putting Dai and Hanyu in the same competition since he isn't seeded. Will he be healthy enough to compete the grand prix though? Or, JSF can give Hino and Tanaka the host picks since both are aging out of juniors, and they don't have high enough PBs to guarantee them 1 GP right?
Part of me wants to believe that Dai does one more comeback, but given his knee issues I'm mentally preparing for his retirement announcement. *sigh*
Kozuka was 6th at Worlds, right? He could get NHK.
As far as host picks go, I hope they'll give the new generation a chance. In my country they have a pretty good GP coverage on TV, and I'd like to see Hino&co skate @ NHK. :popcorn:

So, Yuzu will probably pick NHK and either SA or SC (because no long flights to and from Toronto, and no jetlag).

echotpe

On the Ice
This time, I want to praise the Japanese media to ask Machida a demanding question about Yuzu. Then I can read the skater with subtle words.

Five years ago, they competed first time at Japan Nationals Junior. Five years later, they competed in Worlds while becoming great rivals from inspiration to themselves stronger. Maybe just like McConaughey's saying: “ Becoming a hero five years later of yourself.”

According the TV program, Machida was asked about his opinion about Yuzu. The translation credit is from Saya jm @tweet.

Tatsuki and Yuzuru (video from: 01:59)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQ8WLh4EmY&feature=youtu.be

He(Tatsuki) first fought with Yuzu when he was 18 years old. (Yuzu was 13 years old then.)

Tatsuki was 1st in SP, but Yuzu came from behind and won in FS. Since then, Tatsuki has never beaten Yuzu.

Sometimes, Tatsuki thinks himself not strong enough to be a rival of Yuzu. Because Yuzu always believes strongly that he can beat the rivals even though they are really skilled and strong.

Tatsuki respects Yuzu’s attitude towards skating deeply and tries to learn him this season. As a result, Tatsuki won a spot to the Sochi Olymoics and later got his silver medal at Worlds.

He thanks Yuzu for bringing him up to the level he stays now.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I wonder if it's a Yuzuru-Hanyu-effect?:laugh:
Didn't somebody say that it would be great if someday they were to name a jump or spin after the kid? :laugh: I'd say we're on a good way (at least close to the rink)

thanks for the link cruzceleste. I just spent 40 minutes watching something I didn't understand a word of (except Orser :biggrin:) thank God I don't have other stuff to do...

And also thanks to you echotpe. I think it's great how they all seem to inspire and push each other. It's a way more enjoyable and admirable sort of rivalry then just fighting with teeth and claws (there's already enough silly cat fight drama in the world)

WinnieThePooh

Spectator
HanDomi, roxella, nimi and ShootAnonymous, thank you guys so much for your help! I usually learn things very slowly but I will try my best. I guess I still have to count on commentators to tell which is which but hopefully I will master the jumps recognization soon.

jimeonji

Final Flight
HanDomi, roxella, nimi and ShootAnonymous, thank you guys so much for your help! I usually learn things very slowly but I will try my best. I guess I still have to count on commentators to tell which is which but hopefully I will master the jumps recognization soon.

you can always look at the event scoresheets as well to see what jumps are executed. I always just google "worlds 2014 results" or something like that and the isuresults page is the one you're looking for. Here's the event results for Worlds this year and if you click on the judge's scores on the side it gives you all the skaters and their detailed results - jumps executed + base values, individual judges' scores, GOEs, total element scores, plus program components. Super helpful when I was learning jumps and needed to check if I was right or not.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
This time, I want to praise the Japanese media to ask Machida a demanding question about Yuzu. Then I can read the skater with subtle words.

Five years ago, they competed first time at Japan Nationals Junior. Five years later, they competed in Worlds while becoming great rivals from inspiration to themselves stronger. Maybe just like McConaughey's saying: “ Becoming a hero five years later of yourself.”

According the TV program, Machida was asked about his opinion about Yuzu. The translation credit is from Saya jm @tweet.

Tatsuki and Yuzuru (video from: 01:59)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpQ8WLh4EmY&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the video, Machida looks like a very mature person. And Yuzuru looks closer to him (maybe because of age) that I ever see him with Daisuke; shame if he goes with his plan to retire after next season, but looks like he really want to be and artist.

Note.
Actually Machida beat Yuzuru in the 2009-2010 Senior Japan Championship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–2010_Japan_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men :p

ETA.

omg Tatsuki and Yuzuru´s hair in that video from 2008:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Looking at the scord I guess Yuzuru fell in the short. By that time Yuzuru was in his second year at Junior and Tatsuki was in his first year at Seniors. Protocols of that year and a picure to see those glorious haircuts http://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/2008-2009/fs/national_jr/index.htm

Yuzusan

On the Ice
I would like to know if anyone has news about Sapporo exhibition ? Because it happened 8-9-10 april but i don't find videos of this, expect sum up's video or short extracts.
Impossible to find Hanyu's performance in Sapporo.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Confirmation JSF did pay for Yuzuru trainning in Canada

https://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2369686&language=en

Olympic scholarships initiative proves "success" after medals achieved - IOC chief

Japan NOC received this tailor-made grant and focused on four athletes, one of whom, Yuzuru Hanyu, won the menآ’s figure skating gold medal.
Hanyu is from Sendai, and his home ice rink was destroyed in the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami; Japan NOC used the OSC scholarship to pay for him to train in Toronto, Canada, for two years.

nimi

Medalist
cruzceleste;914013 omg Tatsuki and Yuzuru´s hair in that video from 2008:laugh::laugh::laugh: Looking at the scord I guess Yuzuru fell in the short. By that time Yuzuru was in his second year at Junior and Tatsuki was in his first year at Seniors. Protocols of that year and a picure to see those glorious haircuts [url said:
http://www.skatingjapan.jp/National/2008-2009/fs/national_jr/index.htm[/url]

OMG MACHIDA'S MULLET :no:

WinnieThePooh

Spectator
you can always look at the event scoresheets as well to see what jumps are executed. I always just google "worlds 2014 results" or something like that and the isuresults page is the one you're looking for. Here's the event results for Worlds this year and if you click on the judge's scores on the side it gives you all the skaters and their detailed results - jumps executed + base values, individual judges' scores, GOEs, total element scores, plus program components. Super helpful when I was learning jumps and needed to check if I was right or not.
Thank you a lot jimeonji! Now I can spot the toe loop jump and am still in progress working on others.
I have a silly question. When looking at the result paper at Worlds, Yuzu's triple flip is received negative GOE and I remember some comments on youtube points out he did a Lip instead of Flip, and the difference between these two is the taking-off edge of blades. So can we realize this kind of mistake when the performance s are broadcasting live? Or we have to wait for the result paper?