National Olympic Uniforms | Golden Skate

National Olympic Uniforms

S

SkateFan4Life

Has anyone seen any of the uniforms the various teams will be wearing during the Olympic opening ceremony?

I, for one, hope that the US team will NOT be dressed up in "cowboy gear". Ugh. So many times our team has walked in with ten-gallon hats, jeans, boots, and short "cowboy jackets". Please, I'm not denegrading the West, cowboys, the home on the range, etc., but could someone kindly remind the US Olympic Committee that many of us Americans do not live in cowboy country? There has to be a happy medium somewhere.

Just my own two cents, of course. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hey it's how the world pictures us... I'm not from cowboy country, but cowboys are definitely a plus to living in N. America ;)

from what I hear they're not half as cool this time around as last time... or was that Canada? can't remember lol

S

SkateFan4Life

I think people outside of the US may consider us to be "cowboys", but not in the home-on-the-range variety. I won't get into a political discussion, but there's a lot going on these days that could make folks consider us to be modern day "cowboys".

For the recod, I do NOT consider myself to be a cowboy. A computer nerd, yes, but not a cowboy. :biggrin:

lou

Spectator
Olympiv Uniforms

I believe that Roots is outfitting the team again. So no cowboy hats .

CDMM1991

Medalist
Yeah Toni, it's the Canadian uniforms that aren't nearly as nice this year. Roots is native to Canada, so we have always had some really nice stuff, including the 2004 Athens team outfits, which I thought were quite nice. This year on the other hand, a company of lesser quality, the Hudson Bay Company, has made our uniforms, and I don't like them at all, a sentiment shared by many I've talked to. They are just not as nice, and they are made in various different colors, most of which nobody in the world attributes with Canada, like blue, green, and yellow.

Here's a link to the website; you can see some examples of the outfits in the collage on the right.

Canadian Olympic Uniforms

Saundy

On the Ice
Yeah I too cannot seem to understand why Roots isn't outfitting our Canadian team.

The primary colours just don't do it for me. Canada is red and white. Period.

Lanie

On the Ice
Ewww. Yellow and green for Canada?!

I don't like our team uniforms--the blue and the white... it just doesn't do it for me, I don't know. I liked the SLC uniforms.

I wonder when other team uniforms will be announced?

KBell

Rinkside
Lanie said:
Ewww. Yellow and green for Canada?!

I don't like our team uniforms--the blue and the white... it just doesn't do it for me, I don't know. I liked the SLC uniforms.

I wonder when other team uniforms will be announced?

You can see the USA outfits here - the hats by roots at least. Not sure if these are the exact uniforms - don't they usually keep those under wraps until the last minute??

http://www.usolympicshop.com/home/default.cfm?SID=9249

CzarinaAnya

Medalist
The opening ceremonies berets are alright, but I love the SLC berets alot more. I still want one lol.

S

SkateFan4Life

I liked the red and white uniforms worn by the Canadians for the 1988 Olympics in Calgary. Hopefully, the team will have something equaly striking to wear for the 2010 Games in Vancouver!

lou

Spectator
I think the company that's outfitting the Canadian team is going for using all of the colors of the Olympic rings for the uniforms. But not crazy about the idea. I think of Red and White when I think of Canada. Just like it's Red, White & Blue for the USA.

lotusland

On the Ice
As of last week, the 300 year old Hudson's Bay Company is American owned. Jerry Zucker was successful in his take-over bid.

At the time the Canadian uniforms were being designed, the powers that be wanted to use the red, yellow, green, blue and black (and white) because that specific colour combination just happens to be the corporate colurs of BOTH the Olympic Rings and the Hudson's Bay Company. Hence, the 2006 Canadian Olympic Team ended up being dressed in something other than the traditional red & white. :yes:

Last edited:

nubka

Final Flight
CzarinaAnya said:
The opening ceremonies berets are alright, but I love the SLC berets alot more. I still want one lol.

I live in the SLC area, and it's amazing how many of those berets (and the jackets) you still see being worn every winter...

The jackets, especially, seem to be everywhere.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So the Canadian teams are being outfitted by a (now) US company, and the US teams, by a Canadian company. Doesn't seem right to me.

Canada should be using Roots, and the US should use a US company.

Jhar55

Medalist
Sorry Joesitz but when I think of hip hop it's baggy pants hanging with the crotch hanging down to the knees and that's would be just tacky and ugly..

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I'd like the American Team to wear Inner City Hip Hop uniforms.:p Joe

Heaven forbid!! That would be absolutely horrendous. :banging: :banging: