Irina's Confidence Shaken? | Golden Skate

Irina's Confidence Shaken?

NanSinger2

On the Ice
Is anyone of the opinion that Irina may be surprised to see how close the points were after the short? I didn't expect that, and I wonder if she's having any nerves or confidence issues. Thoughts?

kyla2

Final Flight
Hard To Know

I think she thinks her PCS should have been alot higher and it makes her mad. Mad might be good to motivate her to bring her A game. But truthfully, it is hard to know if this will make her feel insecure or motivated. I think whether Sasha and Shizuka skate well or bad in the LP is going to be the determining factor here. If they do well, I think it could skake her confidence. If they do badly she will skate well. Since they are skating before her, that will tell the story IMO.

IMO, Irina has been through such intense life-changing issues between her mother's and her own health, that she has a much different perspective on the importance of figure skating in the whole scheme of things then she did four years ago.

I think Irina's confidence comes from deeply within herself. She's gone through medical hell and has to look forward to a life full of more of that. Then there's the very real possibility of losing her mother, with whom Irina is extremely close, to kidney disease.

Irina has also been skating as a top world senior skater for 10 years, most of which was spent as the also-ran to Michelle. She's virtually tied with Sasha and IMO Irina has learned how to pull out all the stops and stay on her feet, if need be.

On "Olympic Ice," Dick Button said it takes three Olympics to understand how to deal with it. This is Irina's third Olympics. In '98 she competed during her "dark period" and finished fifth. In '02 she skated as tight as a new spool of thread and gave away the gold. In these Olympics, I think Irina is going to everything within her power right on the money. The only problem she has to face is her health, which she can do very little to control--and when I say very little I mean keep her stress levels as low as possible considering it's the Olympics and winning the OGM will help her earn the money to buy her mother a kidney transplant.

So I think that's what we may be seeing. Not a lack of confidence, but just how badly Irina wants to win this so she can help her mother. Still, OTOH, I think Irina has learned that if she doesn't win, she'll still manage to get the money to help her mother. JMO.

Rgirl

Excidra2001

On the Ice
really?

I don't know, but I get the total opposite. She is not pushing her self to win a gold medal, although deep down that is what she wants. So far she has handled the media well, by telling them that she is here to skate a personal best and call it a day. I've read a few articles where Sasha was quoted as saying that she's been dreaming of the Olympic gold medal, and can't wait to take one home. I'm not here to judge but usually those who are vocal about their intentions tend to come up short. She's in first place, and deservingly so, she should be happy and prepare her self for the LP.

bronxgirl

Medalist
I don't think that Irina' s confidence in herself is shaken. She is probably angry at some combination of judges that did not place her first. I think that by this point in her career, she will be able to channel the anger into skating all out, and not into a sense of nervousness or anxiety (JMHO)

ambersoeters

Spectator
I like Sasha and Irina, but I would bet $$$ that Irina will skate clean and Sasha will make at least a few mistakes. The short program will motivate Irina to go out and make a daring effort in the long program. Sasha will be cautious and try to hold on to the lead. I could be wrong though...May the best lady win. Personally, i want to see Irina win considering how dedicated she has been to the sport despite serious obstacles.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Cohen should not take a .03 lead for granted. She MUST understand that she's basically tied with Slutskaya and Arakawa. Basically, the winner of the free program will be the winner of the competition.

I think Irina is alright...now. If someone throws it down, Irina may go conservative...again.

bili

Rinkside
No. I trully believe that if any of the two is more nervous, that would be Sasha. She is less consistent and the difference in points is so tight that it seems like no lead at all.
The winner of the LP will be the winner of the gold medal, as someone else said, and I think that Irina knows that she's more likely to skate a cleaner program than Sasha. Of course that brings a lot of pressure, but she would be under that anyway.

Mafke

Medalist
Of the top three:

One who likes competing most: Slutskaya

One with the most accomplishments: Slutskaya

Most experience with high pressure competition: Slutskaya

Best fit with COP: Slutskaya

I tell myself that I won't be surprised by any of the top three at the top of the podium and wouldn't bet a nickel any way on the outcome. (I'll be very surprised if one of the 5-7 skaters pulls it all together and wins). But I don't think that being .03 behind Cohen has shaken up Slutskaya too much.
On the other hand, historically Slute has not always dealt well with have-to-do-your-best pressure, on the other hand her mother's and her health situations may have toughened her up in that regard (or given her some perspective; it's only a figure skating competition).

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
And keep your eye on Fumie. It could happen. It has in the recent past.

I hope you're right, Joe. I would love to see Fumie up on the podium. She' so graceful and I thought her SP was beautiful.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
And keep your eye on Fumie. It could happen. It has in the recent past.

Joe

True that. very good point. I basically have forgotten about her. I'm just focusing on the Big Three- Cohen, Slutskaya and Arakawa.

If history repeats itself we'll definitely see something awesome from either Suguri or Meissner. (maybe more like Suguri since she's currently in 4th right now :biggrin: )

ladysarahchatto

On the Ice
Excidra2001 said:
I've read a few articles where Sasha was quoted as saying that she's been dreaming of the Olympic gold medal, and can't wait to take one home. I'm not here to judge but usually those who are vocal about their intentions tend to come up short. She's in first place, and deservingly so, she should be happy and prepare her self for the LP.

This Sasha quote on the Gold from an article posted today on NBC's site:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/figureskating/5128115/detail.html

It wasn't until she returned to California and Nicks in late 2004 that Cohen grew up. While she admits she dreams about a gold medal "a couple of times a day,'' it's no longer the only thing driving her.

"It's not always about being the most talented, it's about sticking it out. This sport rewards the tough people,'' Cohen said. "I've been working really hard at staying strong and being positive. That and enjoying every moment of the process.''

R.D.

Record Breaker
well, for the first time she has a legit chance at Olympic Gold. This may be her only chance, too. She was in the lead after the 04 Worlds short program and was in great position to win, and blew it. Nothing really makes me think it will be any different this time around. Leading (albeit by hardly anything) after the short, going into the long...add Olympic pressure to the equation and this has got to be the most pressure that will ever be on her. IMO, it's the moment of truth. If she can go out there and really lay it down, it would consequently quiet down those who say she can't do it (including me :biggrin: ). She's in the same position Kwan was in 02, and even Kwan couldn't handle the pressure.

The OGM is a prize that typically goes to the risk taker, the one who can bring it on the chosen night. And that's not Sasha...no, not at all. Sorry to any of her optimistic fans.

then again, for all I know I could read this tomorrow and laugh at it. One just never knows, really.

sk8fanconvert

On the Ice
NanSinger2 said:
Is anyone of the opinion that Irina may be surprised to see how close the points were after the short? I didn't expect that, and I wonder if she's having any nerves or confidence issues. Thoughts?

From press accounts, she was not too happy about it. If I recall correctly, she was not happy with her PCS scores from the grand prix final. I think the problem was that in the past she had gotten higher scores- including this season. There isn't much consistency yet with the new scoring system, so comparable performances can still pull quite variable scores (like the inflation at US Nationals).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
NanSinger2 said:

I don't think she's lost confidence, I think -- just like in 02 -- she's a bit over confident

though she was quoted by Katie Couric or Matt Lauer today as saying she knows the judges are against her because they don't want a Russian sweep

R.D.

Record Breaker
I'm not sure about that. The panel, though, doesn't seem to be the type that would FAVOR her in a close one. However, I did miss most of Slutskaya's performance so I don't really know how much better Cohen was (whether she should have been farther ahead or whether she deserved her score). SC did have a highlight. However, I still don't get the hype of "oh, it was amazing"- My impression was more like, Cool, that was good. not WOW, that was amazing. She just isn't that type of skater to me.

Jill

On the Ice
I don't know how Irina could think the judges are against her. Nothing against Irina, but I'm in the camp that believes the COP was designed with her in mind.