USFSA vs. Weir? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

USFSA vs. Weir?

rob43 said:
Also- cheesefests never put anyone on the map- & no skater lists them as a career highpoint. Sasha's coming out moments where 00 US NAts SP and the 02 Olympics where she dazzled in the short.
Still, dazzling and winning are two different things. I can't help but believe that it must have been a monkey off Sasha's back finally to show that she could beat Michelle in competition, cheesefest or no.

NYMKfan, I agree with your last paragraph. There will never be another Michelle. Yes there are other skaters, but (for instance) all other active figure skaters put together have fewer (4) world championships to their credit than Michelle does all by herself (5).

Also, your second point -- money talks, BS walks -- is very appropriate when USFS is trying to line up sponsors for their programs. You have to give the public what it wants or you pay the price at the box office.

Still... no one is immortal. USFS (in concert with us Kwan fans, LOL) must face up to the fact that, in terms of those competitive performances that set our hearts to pounding and take our breath away, we have more to look back on than to look forward to.

IMHO it would be a wise move for USFS to start promoting the next generation as vigorously as possible so that figure skating itself doesn't fade into the sunset when Michelle does.

OT -- is anyone starting to get excited about the Japanese cheesefest next week, where Kimmie will go against Mao Asada, Kiira Korpi and Sarah Meier?

MM :)

Lucy25

Final Flight
Mathman said:
OT -- is anyone starting to get excited about the Japanese cheesefest next week, where Kimmie will go against Mao Asada, Kiira Korpi and Sarah Meier?

Is Kimmie actually going to this? I thought with school she would decline.

R.D.

Record Breaker

I didn't even KNOW there was a competition next week. Wasn't this supposed to be in the fall?

nymkfan51

Medalist
Mathman said:
NYMKfan, I agree with your last paragraph. There will never be another Michelle. Yes there are other skaters, but (for instance) all other active figure skaters put together have fewer (4) world championships to their credit than Michelle does all by herself (5).

Also, your second point -- money talks, BS walks -- is very appropriate when USFS is trying to line up sponsors for their programs. You have to give the public what it wants or you pay the price at the box office.

Still... no one is immortal. USFS (in concert with us Kwan fans, LOL) must face up to the fact that, in terms of those competitive performances that set our hearts to pounding and take our breath away, we have more to look back on than to look forward to.

IMHO it would be a wise move for USFS to start promoting the next generation as vigorously as possible so that figure skating itself doesn't fade into the sunset when Michelle does.

MM, I don't disagree with you at all. When I say I would watch Michelle whatever she does, I mean just that ... I would watch her ...which is not to be confused with what I think should or will happen. Believe me, the very moment Michelle is no longer profitable to the USFSA and it's sponsors, she'll be out of there as quick as you can say Merry Christmas.
And we are really talking about 3 cheesefests. My only request was that the spring one be an exhibition because I think it would be more appropriate. But what do I know anyway? :laugh:

nymkfan51 - It appears to me that you are torn somewhat between wanting competitions and seeing MK skate outside competitions. I understand the dilemna. I am still an MK fan but probably more of a figure skating sport fan.

If it is decided that we should see 'Michelle and Her Friends' in October instead of a competition then I and many others would not see what's up with Alissa, Bebe, Emily, Katy and above all Sasha and Kimmie. Now, I want very much to see whatever ladies they might allow in this could be competition. who just might want to win the prize money. If it becomes an exhibition, they will take salary and not take any risks of winning. we would have to wait until Nats to see how determined to win the Worlds these other 6 Ladies are about.

I think Michelle could skate a competition without jumping. She might even win it if there is a splatfest (not unheard of). If she loses, it's not a big bad thing. Nobody takes these cheesefests serious anyway. But for me, they give a peek of what might be coming up by the time Nats rolls around. I keep thinking of Sasha's Campbells Swan Lake.

So without any further comments by me on this 'Johnny' topic, I am hoping that the there is a Campbell's competition and that MK enters it. No shame to her to do an exhibition routine. This way the sports fans and the MK fans are happy.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Remember I accused the USFSA of "buying" votes for Lysacek, and pushing him hard to win him marks. I am so thrilled to read this article. This is basicaly an article, while focused on Weir, lends credence to the belief the USFSA`s influence has alot to do with the grossly, enormously, shamefully inflated marks Evan has received this year, and in fact, his entire career. I hope more articles like this come out and embarass the USFSA and their shameful promoting and pushing of Lysacek to win him his embarassingly inflated, undeserved bogus scores.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Mathman said:
Hey, no fair. By putting a big picture of Johnny's puzzle on their website, the USFS is pushing Johnny's puzzle more so than Evan Lysacek's and Ben Agosto's.

The bid on Johnny's is up to $55, compared to only $25 for Evan's and Ben's.

Yes, but is the USFS pushing Johnny's puzzle because they know the fans are "on" to their attempts to push Lysacek over Johnny, or, are they trying to "cover up" the plot that people think exist?

slutskayafan21 said:
Remember I accused the USFSA of "buying" votes for Lysacek, and pushing him hard to win him marks. I am so thrilled to read this article. This is basicaly an article, while focused on Weir, lends credence to the belief the USFSA`s influence has alot to do with the grossly, enormously, shamefully inflated marks Evan has received this year, and in fact, his entire career. I hope more articles like this come out and embarass the USFSA and their shameful promoting and pushing of Lysacek to win him his embarassingly inflated, undeserved bogus scores.

I never did find out how you thought that the USFSA could get Evan inflated scores from the international judges. Also, since when as the USFSA pushed male skaters?

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
attyfan said:
I never did find out how you thought that the USFSA could get Evan inflated scores from the international judges. Also, since when as the USFSA pushed male skaters?

Very easy, make deals with other countries to talk to their judges and get their skaters something in exchange. Talking with judges in the stands, and casualy pointing out "have you noticed what so and so is doing", etc....It is very easy to do.

When discussing Evan`s marks that is obviously went on, since his skating alone certainly does not earn him the marks he gets. The thought of his skating actually meriting those kind of scores, with no federation involvement is laughable.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
slutskayafan21 said:
Very easy, make deals with other countries to talk to their judges and get their skaters something in exchange. Talking with judges in the stands, and casualy pointing out "have you noticed what so and so is doing", etc....It is very easy to do.

Didn't the Russian Fed write the manual on this ?

nymkfan51

Medalist
Joesitz said:
nymkfan51 - It appears to me that you are torn somewhat between wanting competitions and seeing MK skate outside competitions. I understand the dilemna. I am still an MK fan but probably more of a figure skating sport fan. Joe

Joe, I don't know if that's it exactly. I never want to see competitions go away, I love the sport too much. It's true I will miss Michelle terribly when she no longer participates, but that's the way of things ... time moves on, as do we all.
I also think, though, that Michelle isn't finished yet. Even if she is unable to compete at Nats/Worlds/Oly ... she can still be a vital part of other things for quite some time yet. She's not done by a long shot!!!

And with that ... back to Johnny!!! ;)

slutskayafan21 said:
Did you put out the pamphlet on how easy it is? Why on earth would the USFS worry about a male skater when it is the female that makes the money?

When discussing Evan`s marks that is obviously went on, since his skating alone certainly does not earn him the marks he gets. The thought of his skating actually meriting those kind of scores, with no federation involvement is laughable.
Didn't the Canadian Fed use a film of Buttle to demonstrate how PCS scores should be rated when CoP was in its demonstration phase? He automatically gets high PCS scores (based on the demo) whenever he skates competitions which he needs badly to get on the podium. Just wondering about that.

As to the USFS and Evan - why wait till the LP to move him up? Couldn't they start with the SP?

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Joesitz said:
Did you put out the pamphlet on how easy it is? Why on earth would the USFS worry about a male skater when it is the female that makes the money?

It is very important for the U.S to have a male skating star if the can. Of course females are the cornerstone, but U.S skating fans still long for a star to replace Boitano or Hamilton, and to a lesser extent Eldredge. There is big money to be made of promoting an up and coming U.S male skating star, even if you have to delude people into naively believing he is more than he really is.

Didn't the Canadian Fed use a film of Buttle to demonstrate how PCS scores should be rated when CoP was in its demonstration phase? He automatically gets high PCS scores (based on the demo) whenever he skates competitions which he needs badly to get on the podium.

Buttle deserves every single PCS he gets, and in fact his PCS are lower than they should be sometimes. His choreography, transitions, sense of music and line, is far superior to almost any of his competitors. He has needed his PCS to win his medals? Well at the Olympics if you eliminate the PCS scores he and Evan are almost tied, to suggest somebody like Evan should get better PCS than Jeff is beyond outrageous. At Worlds last year I believe the same holds true, and again the same answer holds true as well.

As to the USFS and Evan - why wait till the LP to move him up? Couldn't they start with the SP?

He screws up his shorts badly enough that they have no choice but to score him down, deductions are deductions, a fall is 4 points or more lost like it or not, even for a judges pet like Evan "overscored" Lysacek. Actually the performances he gets for his mistake-ridden short programs are what his clean performances would get without all the endless dealmaking to influence and buy his marks. His clean short at the Olympics would have gotten a 67.55, the same he got with two falls, if he were a nobody from a small country with the same caliber of skating he produces. His 152 in the long is what he might get if he did three quads like Goebel did, if he were not American, or not the USFSA's pet, instead he gets that for a clean performance with no quad:)rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
at the thought of it).

attyfan said:
Yes, but is the USFS pushing Johnny's puzzle because they know the fans are "on" to their attempts to push Lysacek over Johnny, or, are they trying to "cover up" the plot that people think exist?
Oh no! Those lyin' cheatin' Lysacek-kissers are at it again! Lysacek's puzzle has caught up to the vastly superior Johnny puzzle, both at $105.

Won't someone out there with deep pockets up the ante on Ben Agosto (only $85 bid so far).

Actually, the big money has already made its move. Leading the way now, with twice as much as anyone else ($430) -- the Donald Trump puzzle!

slutskayafan21 said:
I hope more articles like this come out and embarass the USFSA and their shameful promoting and pushing of Lysacek to win him his embarassingly inflated, undeserved bogus scores.
No need merely to "hope," S-fan, you too can do what this guy did! Start your own "newspaper" and say anything you want.

Mr. Benton is listed as owner, editor-in-chief AND lead columnist for figure skating affairs, all rolled into one! :rock:

Red Dog said:
I didn't even KNOW there was a competition next week. Wasn't this supposed to be in the fall?
Actually, it is scheduled for May 14. Last year there was a fall Japanese cheesefest right about the same time as Campbells.

This one -- the Japan Open pro-am -- is a team event.

Team Japan: Asada, Ando, Takahashi and Honda.

Team North America: Rochette, Buttle, Sandhu, and it was supposed to be Meissner, but now maybe Czisny instead (?).

Team Europe: Meier :love:, Korpi :love:, Yagudin and Joubert.

I did. There is a "contact us" button on his web site.

I said, "Evan rules, you Johnny-holic!"