Asian Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Asian Figure Skating Championships

There is actually a pretty good dance team from Thailand, Alisa Allapach and Peter Kongkasem (both from Los Angeles -- Allapach coaches at Michelle Kwan's rink).

http://www.skatetoday.com/articles0506/photos/ALLAPACH-KONGKASEM.jpg

Allapach formerly represented Thailand with partner Benjamin Westenberger (no Thai roots that I know of).

Kongkasem's former partner was American Kristen Fraser. Fraser now skates for Azerbaijan with partner Igor Lukanin (Finnish-Russian?) Lukanin also competed for Germany with Xenia Smetanenko, then represented Azerbaijan with a different American partner, Jenny Dahler.

Just for fun I checked out the Taiwan ladies team in the ISU biography section. Their first names are Colleen, Joyce, Corina, Diane, Diana, Tiffany, another Tiffany, Jennifer (this is Jennifer Don), Jocelyn, Anny, Christin, another Jennifer, Teresa and Shirley. All but two were born in the United States.

M

mylastduchess

Korean Takes Int¡¯l Figure Skating Grand Prix

Korea's Kim Yu-na stands on the podium during the victory ceremony of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating final in St. Petersburg on Saturday./Reuters

The teenage Korean figure skater Kim Yu-na was queen of the Russian ice, taking the woman¡¯s singles at the 2006-2007 ISU Figure Skating Senior Grand Prix final at the Ice Palace in Saint Petersburg on Saturday. In the short program the day before, the 16-year old only came third (65.06 points) but with her 119.14 points in the free skating and overall score of 184.2 she was able to beat her rival of the same age, Japan¡¯s Mao Asada (172.52), in a turnaround victory.
Skating to ¡°The Lark Ascending¡±, she pulled off impressive moves including a triple flip-triple toe loop combination and a lay-back spin at a high speed in a flawless performance that brought her the win. The landing of her final double axel was a little shaky, but she continued on in a mature performance. With this win in the Grand Prix, where only six top skaters participated, she has secured a championship in her first year of international competition as an adult. ¡°Taking this victory when my waist is in pain and my overall physical condition is not good makes me really glad,¡± the skater said of her performance. ¡° I really want to win a gold medal at the Winter Asian Games in a month.¡ With the day¡¯s gold medal win, Kim Yu-na is now fifth in the ISU woman single¡¯s ranking.

([email protected] )

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Korean Takes Int'l Figure Skating Grand Prix
Link to the above article is: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200612/200612180010.html

There is actually a pretty good dance team from Thailand, Alisa Allapach and Peter Kongkasem
I believe they split up after last season (he may have retired?).

Allapach formerly represented Thailand with partner Benjamin Westenberger (no Thai roots that I know of).
Allapach/Westenberger competed at 2005 U.S. Nationals and placed 11th in the Senior Dance event. I don't believe they ever competed for Thailand, though.

ETA: "Allapach/Kongkasem are the first Ice Dancing couple to represent Thailand in international competition." -- from their ISU bio: http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00008875.htm

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
re. Allapach/Westenberger: It is a common misconception that they represented Thailand together, but that was due to a typo/factual error that appeared in several bios of Allapach (or someplace) and then popped up in several other places; they said Westenberger when they meant to say Kongkasem. I'm sure Kongkasem was just thrilled; "No, that was the OTHER guy!!" :laugh:

I'm confused. Isn't the Asian competition which conflicts with 4CC the more important comp? 4CC is scheduled for early February, I believe.

Joe

M

mylastduchess

I'm confused. Isn't the Asian competition which conflicts with 4CC the more important comp? 4CC is scheduled for early February, I believe.

Joe
I think Asian winter games is more important to asians

M

mylastduchess

Does anybody have a list of competitors going the games yet?

As of now I only heard of Fumie, Yukari, Yu-na, Yan Liu for the ladies and Pang and Tong, and Zhen and Zhao for Pairs

M

mylastduchess

The list of competitors are up, Miki Ando and Mao Asada are listed which is confusing since there seems to be 7 Japanese girls listed?

italia

Rinkside
I clicked around and stuff, and found results???? I thought it hadnt started...plus it only had 3 people in each event, and the sr men were doing lifts and throws, so there is something wrong with it, but it is interesting to see that there are skaters from these countries.

M

mylastduchess

I clicked around and stuff, and found results???? I thought it hadnt started...plus it only had 3 people in each event, and the sr men were doing lifts and throws, so there is something wrong with it, but it is interesting to see that there are skaters from these countries.
Don't mind the results cause I don't understand it either just click on the athletes page!

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Yu-Na Kim has pulled out due to her back.

This is a good idea so that she can save her strength for worlds and Four Continents should she compete.

M

mylastduchess

Yu-Na Kim has pulled out due to her back.

This is a good idea so that she can save her strength for worlds and Four Continents should she compete.

Yu-na is not going to 4CC niether will any skaters going to the AWG!

M

mylastduchess

Where did that come out? I missed that. I thought it was just the Asian games competition? That is not great news, how did I miss it????

Yu-na was never planning to go to 4cc anyway healthy or not, the top 3 skaters from the Korean Nationals will come though!

italia

Rinkside
:chorus: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...all the entries are gone...it says no one is participating :chorus: :chorus: wat a competition its gonna be haha

M

mylastduchess

:chorus: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...all the entries are gone...it says no one is participating :chorus: :chorus: wat a competition its gonna be haha

Yeah I wonder what happened to the bio's they posted yesterday!!!